The Last Of Us - an exclusive apocalypse survival game, now remastered for the PS4 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 895 Old 12-11-2011, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Hmm, might be good news.

Maybe this is his FU to Ninja Theory?

Guess we will find out if it was NT that messed up, or if it was Davies direction that messed it up...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 895 Old 12-11-2011, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Even though it's naughty dog, it's still not the same director as uncharted. So how much it'll have in common with uncharted remains to be seen.

He directed Uncharted 2, so it should be in good hands. Besides, I'm sure they have an excellent design quality control group with key people from the entire company have input as the game develops.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #33 of 895 Old 12-11-2011, 05:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

There's good news in this announcement for Enslaved fans. Even though this is being made by Naughty Dog, the creative lead is not Amy Hennig (since she was busy with UC3). The lead is Mark Richard Davies who was the creative lead on Enslaved.

Well that's pretty sweet.

I always got a bit of an uncharted 2 vibe from enslaved. The climbing was basically the same, the pacing, the chase scenes, etc. I was always thinking that whoever was responsible for enslaved was modeling directly after UC2's style.

Sounds like its in good hands. I hope they bring the facial capture tech they used in enslaved to this game - say whatever you want about the rest of enslaved, but that tech was phenomenal. Only LA noire can top it.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #34 of 895 Old 12-11-2011, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Guess we will find out if it was NT that messed up, or if it was Davies direction that messed it up...

Tough to know for sure. But at the very least, we know that Western developers haven't had a good track record lately of working for Japanese publishers.

Enslaved was also NT's first attempt at going multiplatform. They focused a lot on story and motion performance akin to Uncharted, but unlike Naughty Dog, Ninja Theory didn't have the hefty financial and technical support of Sony behind them. They're also a lot smaller of a studio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

He directed Uncharted 2, so it should be in good hands. Besides, I'm sure they have an excellent design quality control group with key people from the entire company where a lot of people have input as the game develops.

Looks like I (again) got my wires crossed. The Enslaved lead (Mark Davies) isn't leading The Last of Us, he's simply working on it in some capacity. It is indeed two of the dudes who led Uncharted 2, Neil Druckmann and Bruce Straley. Apparently these guys were busy working on The Last of Us, while a different crew were working on Uncharted 3. Perhaps an explanation for what went wrong with UC3? ...and of what could go right with The Last of Us?

Anyhow, very good news. And if they're already two years into development, could this be out by Fall 2012?

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #35 of 895 Old 12-12-2011, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 737
kind of torn..
on one hand another zombie like game - meh... but on the other i love ND games, so i am sure i will pick this up, but i would have been more excited if the trailer was Jax and Dexter 4!!!!
post #36 of 895 Old 12-12-2011, 09:21 AM

Honestly, there's been a lot of zombie and apocalyptic type games... but not many done right. This is either going to hit it out of the park, or be a failure because it's so-so like all the others.

If Davies isn't the lead, it's obvious he's probably back at lead level design. Not sure on how i feel about it, since level design was one of my issues with Enslaved adn somewhat in HS. Beautiful, artistic levels that ultimately were tiny little cages and "arenas". Once you started playing, you realized how boxed in your really were, which was a huge disappointment when you see a large, overgrown city all around.

Druckmann and Straley both worked on U2, but who knows how much. Amy Hennig has always, to me, seemed like the brains behind Uncharted. At least character and story wise.

Anyways, it's good news that ND has a 2nd team and now can pump out yearly games. Hopefully quality won't take a hit, but it shouldn't if they've structured their development cycles and teams correctly.
post #37 of 895 Old 12-12-2011, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

Ah well, I guess I'm alone in my enslaved love. The only real deficit I felt it had was less than perfect combat and a batshit insane ending, otherwise I thought it was fantastic.

But anyway, back to the OP - there's really nothing we know beyond its most basic concept and that it's made by naughty dog. They dont have the pedigree for survival horror, but thats probably a good thing, since I feel like survival horror needs some new ideas.

I, too, loved Enslaved. I got it really cheap, so maybe that helped, but I liked it enough to play through it twice to get all of the achievements.

I got a Walking Dead vibe while watching the trailer for The Last of Us.

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

post #38 of 895 Old 12-12-2011, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Naughty Dog eh? I hear they've put out a good game or two. Alright, I'll be waiting to see more of this one.

Still, zombies are a pretty tired cliché right now. It's one thing to be surprised by them towards the end of UC1. It's another altogether to go into an entire game full of them.

-Suntan
post #39 of 895 Old 12-12-2011, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

If Davies isn't the lead, it's obvious he's probably back at lead level design. Not sure on how i feel about it, since level design was one of my issues with Enslaved adn somewhat in HS. Beautiful, artistic levels that ultimately were tiny little cages and "arenas". Once you started playing, you realized how boxed in your really were, which was a huge disappointment when you see a large, overgrown city all around.

That sounds like a pretty good description of any of the three Uncharted games. Did you try and find all the tech orbs in Enslaved? There was quite a bit of explorable territory in many of the levels--more I would say than in Uncharted, though neither Uncharted or Enslaved ever claimed to be open world games.
post #40 of 895 Old 12-12-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

That sounds like a pretty good description of any of the three Uncharted games. Did you try and find all the tech orbs in Enslaved? There was quite a bit of explorable territory in many of the levels--more I would say than in Uncharted, though neither Uncharted or Enslaved ever claimed to be open world games.

That's true, but Uncharted made much better use of vertical space and was much better at letting you go somewhere and also subtly leading you somewhere. Might head somewhere and it's dead end, but it makes sense.

You couldn't even jump in Enslaved unless at a pre-determined "Jump" area. Thats with a main character called "Monkey"! Right there it lost me. Lot of areas had ledges literally a foot high blocking you in and keeping you from going that way.

Stuff like that really, really annoys me. Especially when I can see down what looks to be more of a level, but am blocked by invisible walls and small objects.
post #41 of 895 Old 12-12-2011, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
This game is definitely on my radar now that it's Naughty Dog... and honestly, I haven't really played that many zombie games, only Dead Nation and Burn Zombie Burn, so we'll see.

PSN = Hatcher14
post #42 of 895 Old 12-12-2011, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 129
This may be old news to some, but I didn't see it posted in this thread. According to Playstation Lifestyle--the voice actors are NOT Nolan North or Ellen Page.

Quote:

PSLS » News » PS3 / PlayStation 3
The Last of Us Voice Actors Revealed; Ellen Page, Nolan North Not Included
12/12/2011 Written by Sebastian Moss

With Naughty Dog's The Last of Us trailer showing a girl called Ellie that looks remarkably like Junos Ellen Page, and a male character sounding a bit like Nolan North, fans immediately started speculating that the duo were voicing the game's leads.

Creative Director at Naughty Dog, Neil Druckmann, debunked the rumors, tweeting:

The two leads of The Last of Us are played by Troy Baker and @TheVulcanSalute. You'll be hearing from them pretty soon.

TheVulcanSalute' is Ashley Johnson, who is known for voicing television shows such as Ben 10, King of the Hill and movies such as Fast Food Nation and What Women Want. Troy Baker, who plays Joel, voiced Two-Face in Arkham City and James Sunderland in the upcoming Silent Hill 2 HD.

According to IMDB, Troy has done FFXIII (Snow) and is the voice of Booker in the (upcoming) Bioshock Infinite game.

OtherWorlds - My Sci-Fi/Fantasy Writing Blog
post #43 of 895 Old 12-13-2011, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 254
This trailer looks so good and with naughty dog behind it, soooo can't wait!

post #44 of 895 Old 12-13-2011, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Gerard Butler and Ellen Page? Naugty Dog likes to use characters that looks like a real actors. Nathan Fillion as Drake and Helen Mirran as Katherine Marlowe
post #45 of 895 Old 12-13-2011, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 129
USA Today has a more information about the game's set-up/scenerio straight from Naughty Dog (I've bolded the info that seems most interesting):

Quote:

'The Last of Us' is Naughty Dog's next chapter
By Mike Snider, USA TODAY
Updated 15h 7m ago

Sony Computer Entertainment America

It all started with a fungus.

In 'The Last of Us,' main character Joel and his teenage companion, Ellie, must fend off zombie-like mutated humans.

A spore of an idea from the Planet Earth documentary series is growing into a new video game from Naughty Dog, the studio behind the PlayStation 3's flagship Uncharted franchise. The Sony-owned studio's recent release, Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, is nominated for multiple game-of-the-year awards.

This new project, The Last of Us, involves a virulent fungus that spreads through the human population in the near future. That leaves the unaffected in a constant battle for survival.

In the first trailer for the game, shown during Saturday's Spike TV Video Game Awards broadcast, a middle-aged man and a teenage girl are attacked by zombie-like mutated humans. "This is our routine. Day and night," says the girl character, Ellie, in a voice-over. "All we do is survive. It never lets up."

Expected for PS3 in late 2012 or early 2013, The Last of Us is a rare new intellectual property in an era when publishers rely heavily on trusted franchises. "The team at Naughty Dog is known for incredible storytelling, and what excites me most about The Last of Us is the potential of a grittier and more mature story," says Geoff Keighley of Spike's GameTrailers TV. "If Uncharted is the video-game version of Indiana Jones, The Last of Us has the potential to be a video-game version of Cormac McCarthy's The Road."

Although the designers don't want to give away the entire story line, the development team recently gave an exclusive inside look into the project. At the start of the game, the lead character, Joel, finds Ellie, and they team up. Joel is "a vicious survivor. When he meets this girl, she is his one chance at redemption," says Neil Druckmann, the game's creative director. "That kind of arc has always been intriguing."

Back in 2008, Druckmann had been mulling an idea for a graphic novel about a father and daughter in a zombie tale. He and game director Bruce Straley were watching the BBC/Discovery series Planet Earth and saw a segment on the cordyceps fungus. At the time, both were working on Uncharted 2: Among Thieves; they had also worked on Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

In close-ups, the documentary showed how the parasitic fungus infected ants and, having taken over their brains, resulted in protruding growths from their heads. A thousand-plus fungus variations exist, each genetically targeting an individual species. "We instantly thought 'humans,' " Straley says.

The two discussed how "it would be a cool realistic backsetting to a zombie movie where this thing jumped species," Druckmann recalls, "not knowing there was going to be another (game) project."

Meanwhile, Naughty Dog co-presidents Evan Wells and Christophe Balestra had been considering splitting the one-project-at-a-time studio into two teams. "We felt if we didn't expand the roles for people, we could potentially lose them, because they really wanted to be challenged," Wells says. "We didn't want to lose that talent."

So after Uncharted 2 shipped, some studio members moved to the Last of Us project, while others worked on Uncharted 3.

Like the Uncharted games, The Last of Us has a third-person perspective, in which you see the character on-screen, but it has a more realistic, cinematic look. "We're trying to move the medium of video games into an area elevated in the same manner of respect of film," Balestra says. "We want to redefine what our medium is even called. 'Video game' is not an accurate name anymore. It is not necessarily a game with rules and a winner and a loser. It's an experience."

OtherWorlds - My Sci-Fi/Fantasy Writing Blog
post #46 of 895 Old 12-13-2011, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:

So basically "the road" meets "I am legend", developed by naughty dog.

I'm in.

Count me in!! Where do I sign?

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

post #47 of 895 Old 12-13-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

Gerard Butler and Ellen Page? Naugty Dog likes to use characters that looks like a real actors. Nathan Fillion as Drake and Helen Mirran as Katherine Marlowe

Actually for Uncharted, ND based the characters pretty closely off their actors/actresses playing them. Drake looks more like Nolan North, than Fillion IMO (maybe if fillion was younger).

Marlowe resembles her actress, Rosalind Ayres:

For the last of us, here's the duo. Pretty uncanny, if you adjust for age (Ashleys younger (-10?), troys about +20 older)

Ashley Johnson:

Troy Baker:

Anyways, using The Road as one influence is a very good thing. And I love me some interactive cinema ala the uncharted series.
post #48 of 895 Old 12-13-2011, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"The team at Naughty Dog is known for incredible storytelling, and what excites me most about The Last of Us is the potential of a grittier and more mature story,"

Looking at the tallies, I killed around 800 people in the last UC game... ...and he wants it to be grittier?

Quote:

"We want to redefine what our medium is even called. 'Video game' is not an accurate name anymore. It is not necessarily a game with rules and a winner and a loser. It's an experience."

Easy guys. Let's not get too full of ourselves. I think we already started to see the downsides of the saying "perfect is the enemy of really good" with UC3. Let's not forget to make this an enjoyable game whilst striving to make it an experience.

"Frampton Comes Alive" was an "experience," but not one that I'd want to have in my basement for 15 hours...

-Suntan
post #49 of 895 Old 12-13-2011, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Marlowe resembles her actress, Rosalind Ayres:

I couldn't think of anyone but Martha Stewart anytime she was on screen. Even had a similar personality.

-Suntan
post #50 of 895 Old 12-13-2011, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 1469
Seriously.

At least it's a ND game I feel good about killing in. There's something about drake being so snarky and unrepentant about the trails of bodies he leaves behind. One second he's shoving a gun down someone's throat and the next second he's making wisecracks. And they don't even try to bridge that gap.

Indy didnt go around shooting people in the face left and right. He'd prob feel at least a little bad about it if he did. But drake? He's a monster.

So yeah, get back to me about that "it's more than a game" thing when they can figure out how to make it about more than a justification to shoot more people in the face.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #51 of 895 Old 12-13-2011, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbburns View Post

I, too, loved Enslaved. I got it really cheap, so maybe that helped, but I liked it enough to play through it twice to get all of the achievements.

I got a Walking Dead vibe while watching the trailer for The Last of Us.

Me too.
post #52 of 895 Old 12-13-2011, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:

Honestly, there's been a lot of zombie and apocalyptic type games... but not many done right. This is either going to hit it out of the park, or be a failure because it's so-so like all the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

zombies are a pretty tired cliché right now. It’s one thing to be surprised by them towards the end of UC1. It’s another altogether to go into an entire game full of them.

Druckmann responded to this fear in a press event today in Santa Monica:
Quote:

We approached this genre because we felt no-one is getting to the heart of it. It tells you something about the human condition - that's what you want to do as a storyteller.

We're not saying every game needs a strong, compelling and dramatic story, but if you are going to make a narrative-based game then you better learn the craft.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...the-last-of-us

His statement is within the context of lambasting critics for too often praising games for having good stories when that clearly couldn't be further from the truth. And knowing how far the Uncharted series has been pushing plot-based storytelling in games, this seems like a good sign. Not to mention that unlike Nathan Drake, Joel and Ellie killing thousands of people is easier to justify when those people are zombies. If done right, it could be a really smart take on what killing and survival are about in game stories.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #53 of 895 Old 12-13-2011, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I really hope this isn't just a another 3rd person shooter with uncharted graphics engine. Would like to see them make a Mass effect/Deus ex/Metal gear hybrid.
post #54 of 895 Old 12-13-2011, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 102
The Last Of Us

Just wanted to see the title by itself, looking all ominous. Great game name.

Now that there's real info I'm intrigued and waiting for more. I will have to embargo myself at some point if I decide to buy, because the way they market games is to let most everything out months before release. I'll stop after the first actual gameplay vid, I swear! Well, maybe after two

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #55 of 895 Old 12-13-2011, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
This trailer reminded me of I am legend. Just in a video game.
post #56 of 895 Old 12-13-2011, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I wasn't really reminded of "I Am Legend" watching the trailer as much as the movie "28 Days Later":
Quote:

Four weeks after a mysterious, incurable virus spreads throughout the UK, a handful of survivors try to find sanctuary.

post #57 of 895 Old 12-13-2011, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

I wasn't really reminded of "I Am Legend" watching the trailer as much as the movie "28 Days Later":

Ah ha! That's the other movie I was trying to think of. I couldn't remember it for the life of me.
post #58 of 895 Old 12-15-2011, 06:48 AM

Liked: 11
I generally could care less about zombie type games and have never been interested in them. This is definitely on my radar though.

PSN: MakoCSH
post #59 of 895 Old 12-15-2011, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
"I am Legend" reminded me of "Omega Man".

post #60 of 895 Old 12-15-2011, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Both of those are based off of the I Am Legend novel by my favorite suspense writer, Richard Matheson. The original story was about one man alone in a world of vampires however, not zombies.

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Last Of Us Ps3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page