The Last Of Us - an exclusive apocalypse survival game, now remastered for the PS4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 895 Old 12-06-2011, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 193

Naughty Dog's latest high profile title is called The Last of Us. It came out in Spring 2013 for the PS3, and is being remastered for a release soon on the PS4.

Quote:

The Last of Us is a genre-defining experience that blends survival and action elements to tell a character driven tale about a modern plague decimating mankind. Nature encroaches upon civilization, forcing remaining survivors to kill for food, weapons and whatever they can find. Joel, a ruthless survivor, and Ellie, a brave young teenage girl who is wise beyond her years, must work together to survive their journey across what remains of the United States.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 895 Old 12-07-2011, 02:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hope this is as good as the teaser makes it out to be and isn't just another zombie slasher/shooter

PSN: blekk
post #3 of 895 Old 12-07-2011, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by blekk View Post

I hope this is as good as the teaser makes it out to be and isn't just another zombie slasher/shooter

I hope it's a lot better than those teasers made it out to be.

But yeah, please be something more than just a zombie shooter.

-Suntan
post #4 of 895 Old 12-07-2011, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Great title. Game itself is a wait-N-see.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #5 of 895 Old 12-07-2011, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I liked the one with the guy talking about how the world was, but that one with the ant just made no sense.
post #6 of 895 Old 12-07-2011, 08:51 AM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

I liked the one with the guy talking about how the world was, but that one with the ant just made no sense.

It's RE4 all over again.

The Ant is infected with Ophiocordyceps unilateralis, so yeah, pretty much zombies of some type. Maybe an alien infection.

Being Japanese, there will also be some sort of protagonist that mystically can control them.

Pass unless its a US or Euro Dev.
post #7 of 895 Old 12-07-2011, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 193
I'm getting a "It Came From the Desert" vibe myself. Any Cinemaware fans?

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #8 of 895 Old 12-07-2011, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Being Japanese, there will also be some sort of protagonist that mystically can control them.

Yes, but will said protagonist be wearing hot pants and thigh high stockings? Because every game player knows that if a Japanese person is going to go out and survive/protect the world, they're going to be wearing hot pants...

-Suntan
post #9 of 895 Old 12-07-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

Yes, but will said protagonist be wearing hot pants and thigh high stockings? Because every game player knows that if a Japanese person is going to go out and survive/protect the world, they're going to be wearing hot pants...

-Suntan

I prefer the tube top / mini skirt myself:

post #10 of 895 Old 12-07-2011, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Um, isn't this just a sequel to the extremely lackluster PSN game The Last Guy?

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #11 of 895 Old 12-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Based on Geoff Keighley's comments here, it doesn't sound like a sequel to The Last Guy. I certainly don't expect it to be mind-blowing, but it should still be more interesting than that PSN title.
post #12 of 895 Old 12-07-2011, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle View Post

Based on Geoff Keighley's comments here, it doesn't sound like a sequel to The Last Guy. I certainly don't expect it to be mind-blowing, but it should still be more interesting than that PSN title.

People have been jumping to conclusions that these two separate announcements have anything to do with one another. Geoff Keighley's been teasing a big Sony reveal for a week or two. And this announcement about The Last of Us came a few days ago. But neither one has acknowledged the other.

I'm going to continue playing the cynic and assume Keighley is referring to something else.

EDIT: Nvm. Looks like the resourceful folks at GAF may have tied the video assets to SCEA. Could be coming from the God of War team. They had possibly been working on a Move-based horror title tentatively called "Until Dawn." This could very well be the outcome. Still a lot of "coulds" and "possiblys," but regardless: cool beans.

post #13 of 895 Old 12-08-2011, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
The GAF thread is pretty crazy. General consensus over there is something by Sony Santa Monica. Guess it's just as logical as anything else.

These super hyped announcements usually end up being less than exciting so grain of salt people.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #14 of 895 Old 12-10-2011, 05:34 PM

NaughtyDog

post #15 of 895 Old 12-10-2011, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32

post #16 of 895 Old 12-10-2011, 05:42 PM

post #17 of 895 Old 12-10-2011, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Crazy, I wonder how far along it is. Assuming they have the UC engine and tons of content from three UC games, maybe this could be a early 2013 game?

Now playing: TLoU PS4
Recently Finished: Watch Dogs, Southpark: Stick of Truth, Infamous: SS
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #18 of 895 Old 12-10-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Dog View Post

The Last of Us is a genre-defining experience that blends survival and action elements to tell a character driven tale about a modern plague decimating mankind. Nature encroaches upon civilization, forcing remaining survivors to kill for food, weapons and whatever they can find. Joel, a ruthless survivor, and Ellie, a brave young teenage girl who is wise beyond her years, must work together to survive their journey across what remains of the United States.

From Twitter:
Quote:

Neil_Druckmann Neil Druckmann
#thelastofus of is Naughty Dog's 4th franchise and the game I've been working on for the last two years.

So the premise is basically what Enslaved promised to be, but utterly and horribly failed to live up to. Plus, this game looks to do it's strengths even better: animation and VA. Not too keen on Nolan North back, hopefully he takes the character in a different direction than Nathan.

Anyways, my interest is back on for this since it freaking Naughty Dog. Hopefully it errs more on the side of survival horror (Deadspace) and less Uncharted/RE.

I was expecting it to be some EU or JP developer since the lid had been on so tight for it. Crazy it's been in development for a while with ND's second team and no one knew!

Also means Sony Santa Monica has something up it's sleeve still!
post #19 of 895 Old 12-10-2011, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
naughty dog ...that's all i needed to hear. day one buy for me.

500 gigs FTW.
post #20 of 895 Old 12-11-2011, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 1376
So basically "the road" meets "I am legend", developed by naughty dog.

I'm in.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #21 of 895 Old 12-11-2011, 08:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

So the premise is basically what Enslaved promised to be, but utterly and horribly failed to live up

How dare you besmirch enslaved! One of the best games released last year. It didn't get the credit it deserved because it didn't ride into the holidays on a hype train.

post #22 of 895 Old 12-11-2011, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

How dare you besmirch enslaved! One of the best games released last year. It didn't get the credit it deserved because it didn't ride into the holidays on a hype train.

It doesn't get the credit because it wasn't deserved. The story was poorly told, the camera had a ton of problems, and the platforming was weak. I got the plat, but it was a painful pursuit.

Back to this game- did that intro trailer remind anyone else of the teaser that Dead Island put out?

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
post #23 of 895 Old 12-11-2011, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post

It doesn't get the credit because it wasn't deserved. The story was poorly told, the camera had a ton of problems, and the platforming was weak. I got the plat, but it was a painful pursuit.

Back to this game- did that intro trailer remind anyone else of the teaser that Dead Island put out?

Yeah, it really did. I mean they might as well have been zombies.

post #24 of 895 Old 12-11-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:

Sorry man, the game was horrible. HORRIBLE! And thats coming from a NinjaTheory fan who loved everything about Heavenly Sword.

The game wasn't finished, and the story seemed to be a last min development to save it. The game literally just ends as it started to hit it's stride, and takes this right turn with no foreshadowing. Unless you count the hovering alien heads they threw in right before they shipped to try to connect the rest of the game with it.

It was pretty, the voice acting was great, as was the animation; but thats it. Gameplay was atrocious, and very, very simple. Mechanics were buggy, and world design was very poor. Hell "Monkey" (named after something that lives in trees) couldn't even jump simple stones.

If you're going up against the king of platforming (Uncharted), make sure you do it close to their level. Enslaved didn't even do it close to Tomb Raider Underworld (better game mind you). Then there was the glitches and bugs which never were fixed.

Honestly, there was a lot of potential and their voice acting and animation department has their stuff down (on league with ND).... but the rest of the developer seems to be horribly mismanaged and can't bring the product together. HS lost money due to poor marketing, a horrible release date and only being a 6-8 hour game, they went bankrupt and came out and made enslaved which was a step in the wrong direction by all accounts. Now teetering on bankruptcy again they've been given the DMC franchise.... good luck to them, but I don't think they'll be around much longer.
post #25 of 895 Old 12-11-2011, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, it really did. I mean they might as well have been zombies.

Aren't they? Instead of a comet, a virus, a potion, a genetic defect, a radioactive mutation, or any of a thousand other things used to explain zombies in movies and games, everyone in The Last of Us been turned into a zombie by a fungus. It's like when people say the zombies in RE4 aren't zombies or that the zombies in 28 Days Later aren't zombies. A zombie is a zombie is a zombie.

If we wanted to be sticklers about the mythos of zombies, there would only be one true zombie movie (The Serpent and the Rainbow) and not a single zombie game.

Quote:

Oh, man. Looks like you've stepped in it now. If anything, Enslaved was over-hyped, not under-hyped. I really, really liked the demo level. I must have played the demo at least a dozen times. I was super stoked to try the full game. Then, I played it. Total disaster from top to bottom.

post #26 of 895 Old 12-11-2011, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Aren't they? Instead of a comet, a virus, a potion, a genetic defect, a radioactive mutation, or any of a thousand other things used to explain zombies in movies and games, everyone in The Last of Us been turned into a zombie by a fungus. It's like when people say the zombies in RE4 aren't zombies or that the zombies in 28 Days Later aren't zombies. A zombie is a zombie is a zombie.

If we wanted to be sticklers about the mythos of zombies, there would only be one true zombie movie (The Serpent and the Rainbow) and not a single zombie game.

Oh, man. Looks like you've stepped in it now. If anything, Enslaved was over-hyped, not under-hyped. I really, really liked the demo level. I must have played the demo at least a dozen times. I was super stoked to try the full game. Then, I played it. Total disaster from top to bottom.

Ah well, I guess I'm alone in my enslaved love. The only real deficit I felt it had was less than perfect combat and a batshit insane ending, otherwise I thought it was fantastic.

But anyway, back to the OP - there's really nothing we know beyond its most basic concept and that it's made by naughty dog. They dont have the pedigree for survival horror, but thats probably a good thing, since I feel like survival horror needs some new ideas.

post #27 of 895 Old 12-11-2011, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
this is perfect.

i never understood why they would not use the uncahrted engine for any other genres.

now we need a SCI-FI master piece ala star wars and i am set

actually that i think of it. why didnt Lucas arts met with Naughty Dog and asked them to create a star wars game?

now that would be epic
post #28 of 895 Old 12-11-2011, 02:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Even though it's naughty dog, it's still not the same director as uncharted. So how much it'll have in common with uncharted remains to be seen.

post #29 of 895 Old 12-11-2011, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:

Ah well, I guess I'm alone in my enslaved love. The only real deficit I felt it had was less than perfect combat and a batshit insane ending, otherwise I thought it was fantastic.

You're not alone. But you just learned the lesson I learned about a year ago--not to admit it in this forum. Enslaved is a game that a lot of people love to hate around here. I paid full price for it on release day and have no regrets. The DLC was worth the price of admission as well.

Back to topic, I've never been much for survival horror, but watching a 13-year-old Ellen Page running around kicking ass in a video game has a strong appeal ... and then there's that whole Naughty Dog part.
post #30 of 895 Old 12-11-2011, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ah well, I guess I'm alone in my enslaved love.

There's good news in this announcement for Enslaved fans. The lead is Mark Richard Davies who was the lead designer on Enslaved.

EDIT: ^^^Incorrect.

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Last Of Us Ps3

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page