Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 12-10-2011, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 193
The new hotness from Kojima Productions has a revised name since the E3 debut... Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Quote:

Discover the new METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE trailer unveiled during American cable channel Spike’s 2011 Video Game Awards (VGAs)! Held at the end of every year, the VGAs are a celebration of world-class games. As the name suggests, the show recognizes the most outstanding gaming titles of the year, but it also serves as a venue for showing world premiere trailers of select anticipated titles. One of the highlights of this year's show was when Hideo Kojima took the stage to reveal this new trailer.

METAL GEAR SOLID: RISING’s E3 2010 trailer won numerous “Best Trailer” awards and drew praise worldwide. At the 2011 VGAs, the game re-emerged as METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE with an all-new trailer.
METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE is being developed through a partnership with Platinum Games, known for hit titles like Bayonetta and Vanquish, and this new development structure promises to set all-new standards for the action genre.

The main character, Raiden, was once feared as the child soldier "Jack the Ripper" on the front lines of the First Liberian Civil War. Now, his combat mastery is channeled through a cyborg body as the strikes from his high-frequency blade slice even massive assault drones in two. Raiden is contracted for VIP protection, military training and other duties by PMSCs (Private Military and Security Companies) in a developing country piecing itself back together after a bloody civil war. Little does he know that the stage is set for a clash with an enigmatic force of countless cyborgs.

Reborn at the hands of Platinum Games, METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE pits cyborg against cyborg in battle that blazes past every human limit!

METAL GEAR SOLID: RISING was a spin-off intended to feature the actions and transformation of Raiden, one of METAL GEAR SOLID 2: SONS OF LIBERTY’s main characters, in the lead-up to METAL GEAR SOLID 4: GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS.

However, after Platinum Games came on board, the story was changed to take place several years after METAL GEAR SOLID 4 to give them more of an opportunity to show off what they can bring to the series. Cyborgs are spreading at a rapid pace in the game’s world, resulting in earth-shattering superhuman action at every turn!

The original aim for a combination of stealth and action has also been enhanced, for a more aggressive new focus on pure, exhilarating action.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 12-10-2011, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
oh.... myah..... god!!!!!

I was going to say before I saw this video "meh" bt I always wanted a game where you could chop anything with a samurai sword and this looks like it!

combine that with hopefully not too much in the cutscene department and it looks like a blast!
post #3 of 25 Old 12-10-2011, 08:05 PM

Liked: 832
From the other thread:

Well, tactical espionage is out the door most likely. Slicing your foes into little bits is a little masochist for my tastes, but the tech is definitely there. Wonder if you'll also be able to play the good ninja and sneak / incapacitate, but not kill.

Funny how Raidens come full circle. He's a pretty bad as cyborg ninja now. Never had a problem with him in MGS2, but this game seems to be to shut up the whiners.

post #4 of 25 Old 12-10-2011, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Not impressed by the trailer. Seemed very Japanese and arcadey, kinda like "Dance Dance Revolution-esce". I'm and unabashed Metal Gear homer and what I saw does not appeal to me in any way. But, like the title says its not "stealth espionage action" but "lightning bolt action", so I'm no surprised.

PSN: futurecode
post #5 of 25 Old 12-10-2011, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
he looks and talks like a girl. i hate this character and always will. if these devs have a soul they will kill him off at the end of this game. please give me metal gear solid 5. raiden sucks. that is all.

500 gigs FTW.
post #6 of 25 Old 12-11-2011, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Yeah, the old E3 trailer from 2010 had piqued my interest, but the 2011 Spike VGA one -- not so much.
post #7 of 25 Old 12-11-2011, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Though I've never played an MGS game, I certainly understand why the franchise is so highly regarded, and if I had more time on my gaming plate I'd get the new HD collection. I kinda feel bad for everyone who was excited about this announcement and shown this WTF? that didn't deserve to upstage Skyrim's GOTY win by closing the VGAs.
post #8 of 25 Old 12-11-2011, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecode View Post

Not impressed by the trailer. Seemed very Japanese and arcadey

MGS fans keep saying this game looks too "Japanese." IMO it doesn't get more Japanese than the wackadoodle MGS series. MGS is already super ridiculous and tongue-in-cheek. I think what fans don't like about this trailer is the over-the-top combat and the action-game swagger.

Anyhow, I already said this in the other thread, but as a fan of MGS and an even bigger fan of Platinum Games (Vanquish, Bayonetta, Madworld), and a still bigger fan of Clover Studio (Viewtiful Joe, Okami, God Hand), I'm super stoked about this.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #9 of 25 Old 12-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

MGS fans keep saying this game looks too "Japanese." IMO it doesn't get more Japanese than the wackadoodle MGS series. MGS is already super ridiculous and tongue-in-cheek. I think what fans don't like about this trailer is the over-the-top combat and the action-game swagger.

The convoluted storyline and the occasional weird humor are Japanese-like, but the core game, and gameplay, has always played like a western style game.

The Rising trailer reeks of Devil May Cry and Bayonetta, both of which I'm not too fond of (DMC4 wasn't too bad, Bayonetta kept my interest for 20 minutes) and both of which are Japanese to a T. There're just not my cup of tea and its bizarre to see the name Metal Gear attached is all.

post #10 of 25 Old 12-12-2011, 04:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 97
This may end up being one of those "call off work day of release" to play games!

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #11 of 25 Old 12-12-2011, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 682
this may be the first MGS game i pass on... played every single game up to this one... was going to buy it until that new trailer.. just seems too bayonetta, DMC for me....
post #12 of 25 Old 12-12-2011, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecode View Post

The Rising trailer reeks of Devil May Cry and Bayonetta, both of which I'm not too fond of (DMC4 wasn't too bad, Bayonetta kept my interest for 20 minutes) and both of which are Japanese to a T. There're just not my cup of tea and its bizarre to see the name Metal Gear attached is all.

That's something I can understand. If Japanese action games aren't your thing, I can see why this would seem so wrong.

Also, it turns out that this game had in fact been canceled at one time:
Quote:

The original Rising was announced as a game where you can chop up anything. The development staff quickly created just that. However, they felt that this alone would be insufficient.

The original Rising got to the point where the staff no longer knew what the core of the game should be. At some point, Kojima said that the project probably would not be able to be completed. However, the staff insisted that it could be done. In the end, they cancelled the project. At this point, they'd already fleshed out many areas outside of the game design component, like the story and the motion capture.

One day, Kojima leaned that members of Platinum Games had come to the Kojima Productions studio. Platinum said that it's unfortunate that the game was in a half done state. They were excited about the project that they took over.

Platinum suggested the concept of "a game where it feels so good to chop things up that you would die" (I think my translation may be weird here -- "It's so good that you die" is just a Japanese way of saying it's amazingly good.)

The title was changed because the game is different from the Metal Gear Solid series. It's a new Metal Gear.

http://andriasang.com/comzba/mg_rising_details/

So all of that earlier naysaying was correct. If not for Platinum bringing the project back to life, there'd be no Metal Gear Rising to complain about!

Also worth noting that they're branding this as a "Metal Gear" game, not a "Metal Gear Solid" game.

post #13 of 25 Old 12-12-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

this may be the first MGS game i pass on... played every single game up to this one... was going to buy it until that new trailer.. just seems too bayonetta, DMC for me....

Again guys, this is MGR(ising), not MGS(olid). Same with MGA(cid). This is how Kojima tends to differentiate different core styles within his Metal Gear universe.

Ultimately, it's not the new MGS nor is it trying to be. It's a new type of game following Raiden.

As for the game, wait and see. The cool thing about cyborg ninjas, to me, was their ninja aspect. Like Gray Fox in MGS. Who didn't wish they could control Gray Fox and use his cloak and other abilities in MGS?

This seems to take that to a new Japanese style action level that I'm not sure about... but then again we apparently only saw boss fights and a few seconds of attack actions. Hopefully there's much, much more to the gameplay than just hack and slash. Being a metal Gear game, there needs to be otherwise it will flop.
post #14 of 25 Old 12-12-2011, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Also worth noting that they're branding this as a "Metal Gear" game, not a "Metal Gear Solid" game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Again guys, this is MGR(ising), not MGS(olid). Same with MGA(cid). This is how Kojima tends to differentiate different core styles within his Metal Gear universe.

The whole "solid" thing will be the excuse used for differentiation but I don't buy that. Acid was still stealth and infiltration albeit in a turn based system, and the originals lack any moniker after "Metal Gear" and they are literally just like the solids but in 8bit 2d. rising seems soooo different from the core that the name seems foreign.

To me there is a difference between calling a game Super Mario Bros: Smash and Super Smash Bros. I automatically think of a certain genre when using a certain word combo with a legendary franchise.

In the end, It's probably a combination of uber Metal Gear homerism and disappointment that Rising is not what "I" want to be that has me grumbling.

I would have loooooved a Kojima style story (a "how did jack get that way" story maybe, leaving room for sequels), with a scosh more action and hand to hand, based in a Assasins Creed type world with similar gameplay as AC (but not as clunky).

To be honest, I will still play this and probably bring myself to like/love it. At this point Hideo could put some dookie in a box with an art book and sell it to me as the "infiltration sub" at the beginning of MGS1 and I'd buy two.

post #15 of 25 Old 12-13-2011, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Awesome 25-minute behind-the-scenes doc with interviews at both Kojima Productions and Platinum Games. Gives the whole story behind what went wrong at KojiPro and what is going right at Platinum. Talks a lot about how the two studios are collaborating and what their vision is for the final product. Also includes a lot more in-game footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=gV1BMUg4NsA

So hyped!

EDIT: As for the naming convention, it's mostly irrelevant. This is following a character from the MGS series and is still within the same world. But there is a stylistic reason for just using the old "Metal Gear" name; both MGS and Rising have their own distinct take on '80s-era Cold War culture. Instead of going the Rambo/War Games/Red Dawn route that the MGS games follow, Rising is going the way of Escape from New York/Terminator/Kickboxer. Personally, I like both kinds of those old action movies from the 80s, but for totally different reasons.

post #16 of 25 Old 09-20-2012, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
New Japanese trailer shown at TGS:
post #17 of 25 Old 09-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
That's looking better.
post #18 of 25 Old 09-20-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Agreed. I am looking forward to this game again.
post #19 of 25 Old 09-20-2012, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Was there ever any doubt? wink.gif

post #20 of 25 Old 09-21-2012, 04:09 PM

A little bit, but I'm guessing Kojima left not because of lack of interest, but worry about what Konami was moving forward on with his MGS baby.

I'm loving this. It's Raiden, but hell if they're not finally going there and letting you play Gray Fox like we all wanted to in MGS1! Hell, that better be a special skin, right?

Something also tells me there's not going to be a big boss emblem for no kill /steal playthrough.... biggrin.gif
post #21 of 25 Old 09-23-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

More gameplay footage.
post #22 of 25 Old 12-14-2012, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
The demo of this is up in the Japan PlayStation Store. Unfortunately it is region locked (believe me, I tried) so you can't play it in NA. The demo is 3.5 GB and I read the demo will be available over here next month.
post #23 of 25 Old 02-21-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
This game is a joke. Five minutes into the demo and they throw a boss at you that's nearly impossible. I gave up after ten tries and deleted it. Epic fail of a Metal Gear game, Platinum. Don't try another one because you suck at it.

500 gigs FTW.
post #24 of 25 Old 02-22-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

This game is a joke. Five minutes into the demo and they throw a boss at you that's nearly impossible. I gave up after ten tries and deleted it. Epic fail of a Metal Gear game, Platinum. Don't try another one because you suck at it.

Hmmm... I'm not particularly good at these type of games, but I just finished MGR last night without too much dificulty. Did you not know how to block (square and left analog stick)? You should have tried Easy mode (auto-block) before deleting the demo.

MGR is basically a cross between Vanquish and Bayonetta. I liked it better than the latter, but not as much as the former. True to Platinum Games form, it is simultaneously one of the coolest (cyborg ninjas, slicing things to smithereens) and cheesiest games (horrid voice acting, dialog and storytelling) I've played. I have a couple of complaints though. Platinum Games usually nails the gameplay, but this time there were problems with the camera. Also, the AR mode was really annoying in that it turned off everytime you performed an action (eg. opening a chest).

Having just played DmC, I can't help but compare the two. DmC is a better overall game, but I feel like more of a badass playing as Raiden in MGR. DmC's story, voice acting, level design, and boss fights are all far superior imo. However, MGR's frenetic pace and action produce more holy **** moments, while stealth kills are also very satisfying. MGR is way too short and is probably only about half of DmC's length.

It's too bad that Platinum Games did not develop MGR from the start and instead, were called in to salvage a bad situation. MGR is a good game, but I was expecting more (I hope they get another shot). DmC is Ninja Theory's best game to date. Storytelling has always been their forte, but they nailed the gameplay this time too. I'm not a connoisseur of these types of games, so the 30 fps doesn't bother me. If you can accept the new Dante (I like him better than the old one), then it's well worth a playthrough. Also, if you are good at these types of games, you should start at the highest available difficulty (Nephilim).
post #25 of 25 Old 05-24-2014, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Just finished this game after a bargain bin dive. Quite good, with moments of greatness, but pretty short overall. You can tell it's designed for replay, though.

The game got much easier after I realized you could spam counters by flicking the stick and square toward the nearest opponent over and over again. Kinda took the wind out of the sails of the fighting system for me, though Zandatsus were always satisfying, especially rare multi-Zandatsus.

I thought this did a good job of maintaining the quirky MGS style while applying it to a different type of game. I'd pick up the sequel if they ever made one.

- Jer
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page