ps3, dolby digital 5.1, dd+ and netflix - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-01-2012, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi,
I have a questions regarding streaming netflix using ps3. My ps3 is connected to my bose home theater system and when I play netflix it shows up as dolby digital 5.1 (not dolby digital 5.1 plus). However, when I use my panasonic blu ray player with the same setup and wires it shows up as dolby digital 5.1 plus in bose and the sound is a lot better than ps3. Ideally ps3 should be capable of dolby digital plus using netflix (as netflix is streaming in dd+). I am unable to get dd+ but just plain dd using ps3. Does anyone have this issue or is there any setting that I need to change in ps3.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-01-2012, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

anyone please? Ok Here is something I read on an article. It says that ps3 can only do regular dd despite netflix offering dd+. Can anyone confirm this issue with ps3 please. If you guys can confirm we can all send a request to ps3 regarding this issue to be included in a future firmware.
Thanks.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-01-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrm View Post

Ideally ps3 should be capable of dolby digital plus using netflix (as netflix is streaming in dd+). I am unable to get dd+ but just plain dd using ps3. Does anyone have this issue or is there any setting that I need to change in ps3.
Thanks

Hi sdrm, PS3 is working as should (no dolby digital plus for Netflix or Vudu) ... here is an email respond from Sony (back Sept 2011).

Quote:
I do apologize at this time, we do not have any available information on when the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system will be able to bit stream DOLBY DIGITAL PLUS or when an update will be available.

post #4 of 10 Old 01-01-2012, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks jchin,
I emailed sony too and requested to include the feature. Hopefully they will include it in a later firmware because the difference in dd and dd+ is immense over netflix. Panny 210 sounds amazing with dd+ over netflix, just wish could say the same for my ps3.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-01-2012, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
i remember talking with sony/netflix about the DD+. they had no idea what DD+ was. when the panasonic could do the DD+. I talked with sony/netflix. they still didnt get it.

Jacob
post #6 of 10 Old 01-03-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Honestly, I'd be surprised if anyone could hear the difference readily between DD and DD+. Most can't even tell the difference between DD and DTS-MA, especially on a plain HTitB system.

You might have a volume difference between the two sources.

If it is that big a difference, why not just use your Panasonic?
post #7 of 10 Old 01-04-2012, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

I had borrowed the panasonic from a friend to test it out. I have a bose surround sound and I tried using both by just switching them out. I thought the same too that there might be a small difference between dd and dd+ but it was very noticeable and the dd+ movies from netflix sounded really amazing. I would have bought the panasonic but its 150$ as of now. So I am hoping ps3 would consider adding dd+ to netflix.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-06-2012, 04:24 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrm View Post

I had borrowed the panasonic from a friend to test it out. I have a bose surround sound and I tried using both by just switching them out. I thought the same too that there might be a small difference between dd and dd+ but it was very noticeable and the dd+ movies from netflix sounded really amazing. I would have bought the panasonic but its 150$ as of now. So I am hoping ps3 would consider adding dd+ to netflix.

Awesome news - Netflix's update last week seems to have added support for DD+!!!!
post #9 of 10 Old 09-07-2012, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uxorious View Post

Awesome news - Netflix's update last week seems to have added support for DD+!!!!

they had recently added the DD+. I think it was on 2.08 or the one before. I already have a 2.10 update.

Jacob
post #10 of 10 Old 09-08-2012, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uxorious View Post

All I gotta say is about damn time!!!!
Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page