PS3 Wireless Stereo Headset - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 01-05-2012, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Looking for opinions / thoughts on this product from anyone that has experience with it. It's been getting fantastic reviews and is sold out at most every best buy in my area (not an indicator of quality but certainly of popularity).

I'm new to PS3-- GF bought me one for Xmas. I've been relatively disappointed by the headphone / headset options available for the PS3. I currently have a turtle beach DX11 which I use in the office on our second Xbox (that's where I play CoD). I've been extremely happy with the performance and sound quality of the headset as well as the Dolby headphone technology built into the DSS. So much so that I'd like to add something similar on our main HT for late night ps3 gaming or movie watching. While wired would be an option (although I'd prefer wireless as my living room is very "clean")-- I'm not really happy paying another 80-150 bucks for a wired headset! Especially as this unit won't be used as much as my dedicated gaming setup in the office. The Sony, which is currently selling for less than 100, caught my eye as a relative bargain with it's wireless receiver, rechargeable battery and 7.1 surround.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 01-05-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Regarding it, I was among the 1st to say that I loved that offcial wireless headset.
But time passed and I get lots of interference and audio loss that I don't use it anymore.
Well that's my experience with it.

I ordered the P11 from turtle beach. It comes with a long cord. I will let you know as soon as I get it delivered.
post #3 of 33 Old 01-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It is a good, cheap, easy to use, wireless option. The faux surround is okay, not as good as my Astros, but for $85 on sale what should I expect? The controls feel a little flimsy and at times its hard to find the "just right" amount of volume to chat with the slider adjustment.
But I do recommend them.

PC/PS3/360/Wii U
PSN GT: chuckster1
XBL GT: TahoeCougar
Steam: chavan30

post #4 of 33 Old 01-05-2012, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I have the official 7.1 and love them. Sound great and no more cord. It works in Win 7 too, but the volume is loud with the slider at the bottom, but maybe I could change something in Windows. I love the ability to push a button on the headphone and have the HDMI sound cut off while the headphone come on.

Now playing: Watch Dogs

Recently Finished: Southpark: Stick of Truth, Infamous: SS

PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33

post #5 of 33 Old 01-06-2012, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I read in the product FAQ that the 7.1 surround does not work with blu ray movies! Wtf? It also states that ps3 3.7 or later is required to enable the surround effect.
It sounds like Sony may be using something like the matrix encoding that Dolby uses between pro logic II and Dolby Headphone. Other companies have developed their own solutions for this without paying Dolby-- pioneer's headphone surround and yamaha's silent cinema-- my question is: why disable this feature for movie watching?? Even if Ty's a faux surround effect without actual positioning it would still be worth something-- like the difference between SRS' stereo widening and the more precise imaging of Dolby Headphone fed from a 5.1 source. This is a major bummer for me in my consideration of this product. Sure, it's still a value price but it's clearly more focused than I initially thought-- one of the turtle beach options would have a wider range of applications.

--Carl Sagan
post #6 of 33 Old 01-08-2012, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So I finally found one of these in my area-- decided to pick it up (my girl is gifting me for my birthday this week). I discovered last night that the ps3 doesn't actually charge the USB ports while the system is powered off... Strange... How do they expect you to charge the controllers/headset? Either way I charged it up on the pc and will give them a trial run tonight. For the price I'm not expecting them to replace my senn's for music but if they can present a decent soundstage for games/movies I'll be happy.

Initial reactions: headset is mammoth! Seems comfortable enough-- not quite as comfortable as my turtle beach but that may be more a reaction to the added weight of wireless hardware. The faux leather earpads and head band seemed an odd choice. They don't breath well and I worry about their long term durability. Of course, the cloth pads on my turtle beach are more comfortable and breath exceptionally well but do little to isolate outside noise and are starting to look a bit rough after one year of consistent use. We'll see, I have one week to return if these don't fit the bill.

--Carl Sagan
post #7 of 33 Old 01-08-2012, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAVAN30 View Post

It is a good, cheap, easy to use, wireless option. The faux surround is okay, not as good as my Astros, but for $85 on sale what should I expect? The controls feel a little flimsy and at times its hard to find the "just right" amount of volume to chat with the slider adjustment.
But I do recommend them.

How do you like your Astros for movie watching? I have the DX11s and while I love them for gaming I typically replace the headset with my senn's when watching a movie. The result is a bit mixed-- I don't think the open ear headphones were really designed with dolby headphone in mind.

As for the Sony's: they sound OK. I think the big draw here is the wireless and the price. I have to say that the wireless performance is at least as good as the turtle beach X41's I had and they ARE more comfortable than that headset. Still, I miss the Dolby headphone... Even when watching a DTS movie when the Dolby is in "virtual" mode with PLXII, the sound is bigger and less confined. It sounds more like you're in the movie than the movie is in you head...

--Carl Sagan
post #8 of 33 Old 01-09-2012, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

How do you like your Astros for movie watching? I have the DX11s and while I love them for gaming I typically replace the headset with my senn's when watching a movie. The result is a bit mixed-- I don't think the open ear headphones were really designed with dolby headphone in mind.

As for the Sony's: they sound OK. I think the big draw here is the wireless and the price. I have to say that the wireless performance is at least as good as the turtle beach X41's I had and they ARE more comfortable than that headset. Still, I miss the Dolby headphone... Even when watching a DTS movie when the Dolby is in "virtual" mode with PLXII, the sound is bigger and less confined. It sounds more like you're in the movie than the movie is in you head...

Yet to watch a movie with my Astros but I will and will report back. But from a gaming side, they have a more "natural" sound.

PC/PS3/360/Wii U
PSN GT: chuckster1
XBL GT: TahoeCougar
Steam: chavan30

post #9 of 33 Old 01-09-2012, 12:14 PM

I like my Sony Officials, but like the guy said above, it is a mofo to try to get a happy balance between the chat and the sound sliders. Really wish they would've just completely separated the 2.

PSN and LIVE gt: Jmill79
post #10 of 33 Old 01-09-2012, 09:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Right thread at right time. I got my self Sony ps3 3d display 24 inch, ps3 and Sony media streamer. It is for bed room and have gotten 2 wireless head sets too.

May I ask, where should I use wireless dongle? With ps3/ media streamer or display? I don't see any USB port on the display??? Would some one have a reference link to the set up? Can't wait..thanks for help in advance.
post #11 of 33 Old 01-10-2012, 05:52 AM

Sorry for a noob question but I just want to make sure I understand it right: the headset is channeling all the (game/movie/etc) sounds into the headphones, not just the voice chat part, correct? In other words, when plugged in the speakers are mute, correct? Is this done automatically or do I need to turn down a volume on my receiver as well? I have a bit of a trouble determining how this works... does PS3 know to disable' sound processing via HDMI to the receiver and sends all the sounds to the headphones?
post #12 of 33 Old 01-10-2012, 06:08 AM

Liked: 13
All sound is automatically turned off and migrated to the headset. Also, there is a slider for in game volume and a slider for chat volume. I like them. However, sometimes there seems to be interference with voice chat(static or not real clear), not sure what that is. Otherwise, they are a great alternative to keeping my family up at night while I play
post #13 of 33 Old 01-10-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcafishing View Post

All sound is automatically turned off and migrated to the headset. Also, there is a slider for in game volume and a slider for chat volume. I like them. However, sometimes there seems to be interference with voice chat(static or not real clear), not sure what that is. Otherwise, they are a great alternative to keeping my family up at night while I play

Thanks for the clarification! Decided to go for it to make the rest of the family happy
post #14 of 33 Old 01-10-2012, 07:30 AM

i had the ps3 wireless 7.1 headset but sold it ....it lacked in the bass department and doesnt really have that good directional 7.1 sound that other headsets have but a good value and no audio dropouts like the tb's
post #15 of 33 Old 01-10-2012, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Finally got my P11 from Turtle beach...Couldn't be happier.
Great Bass, Better sound and no drop outs or interference.

More cables but it's worthed!!! I'll sell my Sony one now.
post #16 of 33 Old 01-16-2012, 08:01 AM

My Sony wireless 7.1 headset seems to have issues with the Bluetooth connection. Sometimes it works great, but more times than not it won't connect. I've tried putting on my foil hat, clapping 3 times, and the @#@$@$ still won't connect. Now it's sitting in the box.
post #17 of 33 Old 01-16-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Que!?! These have Bluetooth connection abilities? I did not know that! Are you saying they are not connecting with the included dongle anymore? Or is a Bluetooth connection interfering with their performance?

bg
post #18 of 33 Old 01-17-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garciab View Post

Que!?! These have Bluetooth connection abilities? I did not know that! Are you saying they are not connecting with the included dongle anymore? Or is a Bluetooth connection interfering with their performance?

Sorry, That wasn't very clear.

I use the Sony Bluetooth mic and my son likes using the Wi-Fi 7.1 Sony headset. Having them both 'active' on the same PS3 seems to be an issue.

If I delete the Bluetooth device, and only have the wireless headset showing up, it works fine.

It's a PITA registering my mic every time I want to use it.
post #19 of 33 Old 01-17-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
OH!!! I see now. I don't think the PS3 will let you use two devices for output like that, but I've never tried.

bg
post #20 of 33 Old 01-17-2012, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Posted this is response to another guys thread asking how this set compares to turtle beach's offerings. Thought I'd copy it here.

I have both.

I have a pair of DX11s that I use to play CoD in my den (equivalent to the PX11 for Sony) and I have the PS3 Wireless Stereo Headset the I use to play PS3 and watch movies with late at night in my living room.

I like them both and for different reasons.

DX11 pros:
Wired-- no battery to replace or charge and no chance of wireless interference.

Dolby Headphone technology-- gives the absolute best positioning and surround sound experience when fed a Dolby Digital 5.1 source and is less fatiguing when listening to gunfire and explosions for hours on end.

Exceptional comfort-- the X11 headset is extremely lightweight and features oversized cloth pads that breathe better than leather allowing you to wear this headset for hours without discomfort.

Superb mic and chat controls-- mic quality is top notch and the simple two volume system of adjusting chat independent of game volume is a plus.

Flexibility-- works with anything with an audio out. (chat only works with Xbox 360/PS3 on the PX11)

DX11 cons:
Wired-- one cord with two connections to the DSS and another two from there to your console.

Dolby Headphone limitations-- works best when fed a Dolby Digital source, DTS and stereo up-mixed to surround not as impressive.

Lack of sound isolation-- the breathable ear cups don't do a very good job of keeping out noise OR keeping sound in.

Bass-- this might not be an issue on the PX11 version as it has a bass boost function but the DX11 has noticeably less bass than the Sony's. I think this has more to do with the ear cups not making a tight seal than the drivers themselves and either way I find too much bass while playing CoD to be distracting and exhausting.

--------------

Sony Wireless Stereo Headset pros:
Wireless-- oh man. Free at last, free at last, thank god allmighty I'm free at last! Wireless connectivity is convenient and consistent-- can wander my 1100 sq foot apt without a hint of break up or interference.

Rechargeable-- no AAAs to deal with, hours of life.

Virtual 7.1-- not nearly as good as Dolby Headphone but satisfying none the less.

Comfort and sound isolation-- the leather earcups do a fantastic job of keeping noise out and music in. The headset itself is very light for being wireless and I found it to be comfortable for several hours.

Bass-- if the headsets ah-rockin'...

Looks cool-- it really does. Your friends will be jealous... If they're nerds that is!

Price-- the price is a steal for what you get.

Sony Wireless Stereo Headset cons:
Recharging-- you have to plug them into a USB device and you're on your own for a cable.

Virtual 7.1 doesn't work with Bluray-- this may be my biggest gripe. Sure the surround mode is a glorified stereo widening and lacks the precision of Dolby Headphone... But why disable it for movie playback!? Ultimately it's more comfortable to listen to the virtual surround for extended periods as the sound is less 'in your head'. I really found I missed this feature about an hour into a movie...

Chat/game balance slider-- the headset features an Astro-like balance slider which allows you to modify the mix between chat and sound... It didn't work on the Astros and it doesn't work here. Separate volume controls FTW. Not a big deal as I rarely chat on PS3.

Long-term comfort-- let's be clear here that I've used these for hours at a time and have been perfectly happy... However... After a couple hours the combination of the added bulk for all that wireless gear and the zero breathability of the wonderfully sound isolating leather cushions begins to wear on me. I probably wouldn't even mention this if it wasn't for the fact that you can wear the X11s all day without even noticing they're on.

Proprietary-- these work with two sources: your PS3 and your PC.

--Carl Sagan
post #21 of 33 Old 02-28-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

...I discovered last night that the ps3 doesn't actually charge the USB ports while the system is powered off... Strange... How do they expect you to charge the controllers/headset?

If you have a cable box near the PS3, you probably have a USB port with constant power. I have a USB hub hooked up to my cable box (SA 8300HD) so I can charge 4 controllers/devices anytime I want.

I learned that trick a long time ago from someone here. Glad to pass it on. ;-)

Back on topic, I want to get a pair of these when they go on sale again. For the people with Turtle Beach headsets:
You have to connect the headset to the optical port on the PS3, right? I currently have HDMI to my receiver. Can you use both outputs at the same time?
post #22 of 33 Old 02-28-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Does anyone know if those standalone PS3 device chargers charge faster than using the Cable Box ? I'd assume so.

Like how it takes 9+ hours to charge a tablet with a standard usb cable, but 1 hour via their special charger plugin.
post #23 of 33 Old 02-29-2012, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrellG View Post

Can you use both outputs at the same time?

Settings >> Sound Settings >> Audio Multi Output

Check this webpage from the online manual.
post #24 of 33 Old 03-01-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by zervinb View Post

Settings >> Sound Settings >> Audio Multi Output

Check this webpage from the online manual.

I think I'll go with the Sony Headset. My receiver doesn't have an optical out, only inputs and I'd rather not lose the higher quality audio.

Thanks for the link.
post #25 of 33 Old 03-01-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defdog99 View Post

Does anyone know if those standalone PS3 device chargers charge faster than using the Cable Box ? I'd assume so.

Like how it takes 9+ hours to charge a tablet with a standard usb cable, but 1 hour via their special charger plugin.

Usually devices charge faster with OEM chargers/cables as sometimes they are designed with slight differences to make charging faster. For example, a original B&N Nook Color USB charging cable is actually slightly longer to reach an additional 2 pins in the Nook to help charge it faster. A standard micro USB cable cannot reach these pins and therefore charges at a slower rate.

I can say that charging controllers using a charging base that plugs into a wall outlet does charge controllers faster than using the USB ports on the system itself. The differences being in the output voltage of the charging base as opposed to that of a USB port.
post #26 of 33 Old 03-01-2012, 09:13 AM

I've upgraded myself from the Sony PS3 Bluetooth earpiece to a set of Turtle Beach PX5's.

The functionality & wireless capabilities of this model are leaps & bounds beyond a previous set of TB's I tried out and light years beyond the PS3 BT earpiece. They plug directly into the USB port on the PS3 for power and use the optical output as well.

I am EXTREMELY satisfied with PX5's since they perform separate game & chat functions with independent control of each and adjustable control for several sound modes of surround sound/ambience/bass/treble etc. Not to mention they are programmable from the website as well (have yet to customize them myself, using the built-in presets for most games now).

If it were not for the $200+ price tag on these I would say they are the best option available. They definitely lose some points because of the price point.

I have yet to try out a set of comparable Astros but have seen them cost more than the PX5's.
post #27 of 33 Old 03-04-2012, 08:28 AM

Liked: 14
I have a Logitech F540 wireless headset. It works for both consoles ( Ps3 and X-Box ). Very comfortable and the sound is great.
post #28 of 33 Old 09-02-2012, 07:51 PM

how does one charge this headset on a PC??? I pluged the cables and nothing. I mean you dont have to be smart to plug USB into 2 devices?? Right?? O_o
post #29 of 33 Old 09-05-2012, 07:57 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euzikial View Post

how does one charge this headset on a PC??? I pluged the cables and nothing. I mean you dont have to be smart to plug USB into 2 devices?? Right?? O_o
I charge it all the time on my printer. Printer tells me it does not recognize the device but it does not matter the headset still charges.

So yeah I wouldn't think you would need to be all that smart to plug USB into 2 devices but that is all that is needed. Not sure why it is not working for you.
post #30 of 33 Old 09-09-2012, 09:10 AM

which USB cable exactly are you using???
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page