post #31 of 48 Old 01-12-2012, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

nope. already have a ps3. don't need a smaller one.

Lol, yeah,...This.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 01-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a tablet, smart phone, and PS3... I just don't see a reason to get a Vita at this time.
post #33 of 48 Old 01-13-2012, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, as much as I would like to play another Drake adventure, I don't see spending the money when I've got an ipad and an iphone and a ps3 and an xbox360...and no time to play games on any of them these days with a one year old...

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #34 of 48 Old 01-13-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmonkeee View Post

Yeah, as much as I would like to play another Drake adventure, I don't see spending the money when I've got an ipad and an iphone and a ps3 and an xbox360...and no time to play games on any of them these days with a one year old...

Toss a Wii and a PSP in there, and that's where I'm at, too. I also play the occasional Steam indie release on PC. With all of that, it's hard enough (impossible, actually) for me to find time to play all the games that I've already got. But if the Vita will add to my PS3 experience--rather than be an alternative to it--I'll jump in once Vita gets an inevitable hardware revision.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #35 of 48 Old 01-13-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

What's the flip n' play case? I googled it and couldn't find anything.

It's not actually called the flip n' play case for the Vita, though that is essentially what it is. You can keep the Vita in place, flip open the lid and start playing. I've taken a pic of it for you here :

post #36 of 48 Old 01-13-2012, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_FORCE View Post

It's not actually called the flip n' play case for the Vita, though that is essentially what it is. You can keep the Vita in place, flip open the lid and start playing.

Nice, thanks! I assume you can charge it while it's in the case?

I hope that's the same case, or very similar, that comes with the First Edition bundle.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #37 of 48 Old 01-13-2012, 01:34 PM

No worries !

You know I didn't think if you could charge it while it's in the case, though you can with the PSP official flip n' play, so I'm assuming you can with this ?

From what I've read, it is indeed the same case that comes with the First Edition Bundle, and also the Starter Packs.
post #38 of 48 Old 01-13-2012, 01:43 PM

I pre-ordered the wifi system, an 8GB mem card and uncharted, i don't have much interest in the rest of the launch games. Purchased from amazon, free release date delivery and no sales tax! While we're on the subject i see a lot of people saying they have iPads and iPhones so why get a vita. Any of you that made these posts must not be gamers, the vita is a portable video game system, not a tablet, It was built to have good graphics, where as an iPad is not. iPads are good for when you need to get certain work done but don't want to carry your laptop. They are also good for a casual game that gives you a giggle. If all the vita let me play is games like angry birds i wouldn't get one either. I may be biased here as i'm not a big fan of apple products, can anyone name another company whose devices can't be used until THEIR legacy software sees it? I'm talking about the fact that an iPhone, iPad and iPod touch are nothing but a brick until you connect them to itunes. I'm sorry but that just rubs me the wrong way. I laugh at the world for being so breath taken with apple, they are taking away more than your breath though with what they charge for their products. Sorry, i went WAY off topic, yes i ordered a vita because i want to experience graphics as good as current gen on the go, so sue me.
post #39 of 48 Old 01-13-2012, 02:58 PM

Blaket81 I'm totally with you. I own both an iPad2 and an iPhone4, yet I find the comments about these devices being valid gaming platforms typical of this generation. How people could even compare an iOS game to even the very oldest of PSP games is beyond me, let alone a Vita.

95% of iPad games bore the tits off me, but the real disadvantage is the lack of physical controls. It's almost as though some people have been brainwashed into believing that an on screen virtual joystick a la Zenonia or Chaos Rings is an adequate substitute.

It isn't, and never will be !
post #40 of 48 Old 01-13-2012, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Blaket81 I'm totally with you. I own both an iPad2 and an iPhone4, yet I find the comments about these devices being valid gaming platforms typical of this generation. How people could even compare an iOS game to even the very oldest of PSP games is beyond me, let alone a Vita.

95% of iPad games bore the tits off me, but the real disadvantage is the lack of physical controls. It's almost as though some people have been brainwashed into believing that an on screen virtual joystick a la Zenonia or Chaos Rings is an adequate substitute.

It isn't, and never will be !

I'm 34. Which generation do I fall under?

In any case, the argument isn't that these other device are ideal for mobile gaming, but that they are already there. Honestly though, mobile gaming isn't ideal in the first place. I've never been sitting at home, playing a game on the PS3 and thought, I wish I could play this on a 5" screen...

And FWIW, Zenonia plays fine with the DSIII controller.

-Suntan
post #41 of 48 Old 01-13-2012, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaket81 View Post

I may be biased here as i'm not a big fan of apple products, can anyone name another company whose devices can't be used until THEIR legacy software sees it? I'm talking about the fact that an iPhone, iPad and iPod touch are nothing but a brick until you connect them to itunes. I'm sorry but that just rubs me the wrong way.

With the latest update, you no longer need to link to itunes (or any computer) to activate an apple device.

It's cool if you don't like their products or their business (I'm not really a fan either) but at least know what it is you are disparaging them for.

-Suntan
post #42 of 48 Old 01-13-2012, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Of the best games on the platform, I can't think of a single one that uses a virtual stick. It's mostly just the bad ports that use virtual sticks. Sounds like you're just not playing the right games. There are some that use an adaptive form of control that's sort of similar to a stick (like Mage Gauntlet), but not a virtual stick. And your examples of Zenonia and Chaos Rings suggests that you haven't played an iOS game in quite a while. iOS design has changed quite a bit since then.

I still think it's ridiculous that we don't have a separate iOS section in the gaming forums. Then we could stop these detours.

post #43 of 48 Old 01-13-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Of the best games on the platform, I can't think of a single one that uses a virtual stick. It's mostly just the bad ports that use virtual sticks. Sounds like you're just not playing the right games. .

I'd love to know what are classed as 'the right games' on the platform then ? I sure as hell hope you don't mean Infinty 'Rinse and repeat' Blade I or the sequel that constantly crashes ? Even Contre Jour becomes tedious after a couple of levels.

The only decent game I've played on it was Broken Sword, but games like that are a rarity. So some suggestions would be good.....
post #44 of 48 Old 01-13-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

I've never been sitting at home, playing a game on the PS3 and thought, I wish I could play this on a 5" screen...

But it's nice to be able to play something similar to said PS3 game whilst on the go, and the Vita is the closest device available to offer that.
post #45 of 48 Old 01-13-2012, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd love to know what are classed as 'the right games' on the platform then ? I sure as hell hope you don't mean Infinty 'Rinse and repeat' Blade I or the sequel that constantly crashes ? Even Contre Jour becomes tedious after a couple of levels.

The only decent game I've played on it was Broken Sword, but games like that are a rarity. So some suggestions would be good.....

Well, Broken Sword is a port of a PC game. And I liked Infinity Blade fine, but I wouldn't call it a "best in class" game. It is pretty, though. And Contre Jour is also fine, but I could never get into it. Too much like every other game aspiring for "indie" cred on PSN, PC, and iOS. It's as though there's now this assumption that if you want to get that "indie darling" status, you have to make a silhouetted puzzle platformer (a la Limbo) or a retro-styled 2D platformer (a la Braid).

Since not everyone in a Sony forum is going to care about iOS games, I'll put the rest of my post behind a spoiler tag.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
The first thing to remember, is that mobile game design is improving at light speed. iOS generations are as fast as a fruit fly's. So what seemed like a great game two months ago gets quickly surpassed.

But here are some good places to start (in no particular order):
1. Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery EP -- I practically bought my iPad2 just for this game. Seriously. And I wasn't disappointed.
2. Groove Coaster -- it's like a deconstruction of the music rhythm genre, or like an imagined prequel to Harmonix's PS2 rhythm games.
3. Forget-me-not - if you're a retro head, this is your love letter.
4. Pretty much any Kairosoft game (Game Dev Story, Grand Prix Story, etc). Yes, they're technically "ports," but everyone plays them on iOS.
5. Jetpack Joyride - yes, it's repetitive as hell. But the constant stream of unlocks and achievements keeps me going back for more.
6. Pretty much any Cave port (EspGaluda2, Deathsmiles, Bug Princesss, DoDonPachi Resurrection). Again, these are also technically "ports," but Cave has done an unbelievable job in finding ways to add new twists to their legendary arcade shmups. And even the standard arcade modes feel like their own distinct thing. I've probably dumped hundreds of hours into these by now.
7. Cut the Rope - Hugely popular. But unlike other big iOS hits, this one justifies the popularity. Great puzzles. And there have been a constant stream of updates with more and more puzzles.
8. Board games (Carcassone, Ticket to Ride). Brilliant translation of classic table top board games. Playable online.
9. Word games (Words with Friends, Spelltower). Fun with words. Nuff said.
10. Zookeeper DX. Sure, it's a port of a DS game. Sure, it's a lot like Bejeweled, but it's a hell of a lot better. It's the one game that my wife and I will regularly play together for hours at a stretch.
11. Flight Control. Truly perfect for the platform. A lot more fun that it might seem. And like many other games on the platform, this gets regular (free) updates with additional levels.

Keep in mind, too, that this is really a sort of starting place, and these really just came off the top of my head. The thing that sets iOS gaming apart from console and PC gaming is that there's so much stuff, that everyone has their own personal favorites. Games are released so often and in such great numbers, that there are always great games to find that no one else seems to know about.

It's a lot like being a music fan in New York. On any given night, there are thousands of shows happening. If even 5% of those are good, that's upwards of 50 awesome shows a night. And the chances of finding your own personal favorites are really high.

A big part of it is having friends who are also playing with you on their phones. A friend digs up some awesome game, and before you know it everyone is playing it. So, yes, the social aspect of it can't be ignored. Leaderboard competition is a big drive. But so is just playing something weird/bizarre/fun/crazy/surprising that your friends are also playing. IMO the iOS's GameCenter app far surpasses the way that friends integration works on consoles or on Steam.

Anyhow, that was long. But it seemed like an earnest question, so I thought I'd give you an earnest answer. Take it or leave it, but I think many people judged the platform early on and then haven't checked it out in the past year. It's changed a lot.

post #46 of 48 Old 01-13-2012, 11:26 PM

If there was a 'thanks' button I'd use it.

Will check them out (Swords and Sworcery EP was the first game I downloaded too )
post #47 of 48 Old 01-14-2012, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

mobile game design is improving at light speed. iOS generations are as fast as a fruit fly's. So what seemed like a great game two months ago gets quickly surpassed.

Great list, that. You mentioned a couple I play, and many more I need to check out.

I know this isn't an iOS forum, but a couple games I'm currently playing on iPad/iPod touch are:

Where's My Water? - Disney-produced physics puzzler that seems kiddie at first, but oh so addictive!
Dungeon Raid - odd match-3 RPG. Graphics are a bore, but a nice timesuck.
Fruit Ninja Puss n' Boots - shameless movie-tie, but the new mode is fun fun fun.

The iOS platform isn't for everyone - if all you play are military-themed FPS, forget it. And there's plenty of crap to wade though. But, as confidenceman said, the causal genre has really come a long way in the last year or so, and there's some great bite-sized gaming to be had. Well-designed games that take advantage of the touch, draw and swipe can be as fun as the best button-mashers on consoles.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #48 of 48 Old 01-14-2012, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Further thread hijack:
Spoiler  

Quote:

If there was a 'thanks' button I'd use it.

Will check them out (Swords and Sworcery EP was the first game I downloaded too )

5th Cell, the creators of Scribblenauts, just released a fantastic platform/puzzler/runner for iOS called Run Roo Run. Having a lot of fun with it. At first, I thought it was ridiculously easy. Then I realized that it was all about setting good times. And the expert levels (unlocked at the end of each chapter) get seriously tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Fruit Ninja Puss n' Boots - shameless movie-tie, but the new mode is fun fun fun.

In the bizarre world of iOS, "shameless movie tie-ins" are actually good. For example, Angry Birds Rio is a shockingly good game. The original Angry Birds is a bit too random for my taste, but Rio nailed the balance between strategy and randomness, and the physics engine seems to have been improved greatly.

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page