Are you preordering a Vita? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 48 Old 01-10-2012, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Which version did you reserve? What games are you getting for it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 01-10-2012, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

i will preorder and uncharted is the only launch game i will get at first.

PC/PS3/360/Wii U
PSN GT: chuckster1
XBL GT: TahoeCougar
Steam: chavan30

post #3 of 48 Old 01-10-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
I lost interest when it didn't make it in time for Christmas. I'm going to re-evaluate when May comes around (daughter's birthday). She's most interested in LBP2 and Little Deviants. Hard to justify the cost though for just a couple of games. I carry an iPhone and an iPad, and she has an old iPhone 3G and a Kindle Fire, so all the cheap games and Netflix are covered for us.

Really for us the killer apps would be PS3 tie-ins like we thought would happen with the PS3 and PSP, where both devices are used at the same time (this was also a promise for the Atari Lynx and Jaguar), or class A games that can be picked up on one or the other such as Assassin's Creed, Portal, or Skyrim. Since my daughter doesn't live with me all the time (13 year old shared between divorced parents), and since her mom won't allow anything ohter than hand-held video games at her house, it would be extremely appealing to her to be able to purchase one copy of those games, and have both the PS3 and Vita copies included, and be able to resume on one or the other through Playstation Plus's cloud storage for game saves.
post #4 of 48 Old 01-10-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Meh... The PSP sits at the back of a drawer somewhere and the phone & tablet sit with umpteen different games that have yet to even be opened.

Maybe if I rode a bus or a train it would interest me more, but I don't.

-Suntan
post #5 of 48 Old 01-10-2012, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAVAN30 View Post

i will preorder and uncharted is the only launch game i will get at first.

Did you get to demo UC before reserving it?
post #6 of 48 Old 01-10-2012, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Just read a review for MLB The Show 12, where the developer says sharing game saves will be included, but you have to purchase separate copies of PS3 and Vita versions. If the PS3 version is $60, just about any price for the Vita version is going to be hard to swallow in additon to that.
post #7 of 48 Old 01-10-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

Meh... The PSP sits at the back of a drawer somewhere and the phone & tablet sit with umpteen different games that have yet to even be opened.

Maybe if I rode a bus or a train it would interest me more, but I don't.

-Suntan

^This (minus the PSP). Just never saw the use for a portable game device other than for a quickie Fruit Ninja diversion while sitting on the pot.
post #8 of 48 Old 01-10-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I have the Wi-Fi pre-ordered. Not sure what I want to play on it, but for $250 it is a much better looking device than any tablet that plays gimped games and is a poor substitute for a laptop at everything else.

Now playing: Watch Dogs

Recently Finished: Southpark: Stick of Truth, Infamous: SS

PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33

post #9 of 48 Old 01-10-2012, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Haven't yet. Did have it in a cart a few times with my finger on the trigger though. I'm sure I will, just once it get's closer to Fed 22.

I'm sure a memory card and Uncharted will be the first things I get with it.

PSN: futurecode
post #10 of 48 Old 01-10-2012, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 85
If the Vita was licensed to play the Digital Copy movies that come with so many DVD/BD sets these days then I would put down for one. I travel from time to time and watching a film is just the thing when I'm tired of games, and I refuse to purchase films for a third time just to watch them on a Vita. I bought a PSP in part for digital copy support that never happened, so no dice Vita.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #11 of 48 Old 01-10-2012, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Once the integration with the PS3 is sorted out, once the price comes down, once there are some good non-Sony games, and once the battery life is improved, I'll get one. That won't all happen until the first full hardware revision. By then we'll also know how successful the platform is.

Until then, I'm happy to keep using my phone and tablet for portable gaming/media. Sony simply hasn't done enough to convince me I need to get one.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #12 of 48 Old 01-11-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

I have the Wi-Fi pre-ordered. Not sure what I want to play on it, but for $250 it is a much better looking device than any tablet that plays gimped games and is a poor substitute for a laptop at everything else.

I disagree. I travel a lot, and do not carry my laptop at all anymore. At first, I traveled with my laptop, PSP, iPhone (obviously), and a work laptop that's so locked down I can't do anything on it. Now I travel with the work laptop, an iPad, and my iPhone. The PSP and my personal laptop stay at home. Not sure what makes you think a tablet is a poor substitute for a laptop, but I've found this to not be true at all. And the iPad is a much better travel companion for me than the PSP, mostly because I use it for movies. Having to hold up a PSP the entire time I am on a plane does not compare to being able to set my iPad in its case and watch on a bigger screen, hands-free. It is also more convenient on a plane than a laptop, especially when the guy in front of you leans his seat back.
post #13 of 48 Old 01-11-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Once the integration with the PS3 is sorted out, once the price comes down, once there are some good non-Sony games, and once the battery life is improved, I'll get one. That won't all happen until the first full hardware revision. By then we'll also know how successful the platform is.

For all of the above reasons, I think this is going to be a flop in the US. If they'd had it ready for sale over the holidays, maybe it would have been a different story...but I just don't see people justifying the cost when everyone already has a multitude of portable electronic devices and PSPs acting as paperweights.

Maybe I'm just being a cynic. :shrug:

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
post #14 of 48 Old 01-11-2012, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post

For all of the above reasons, I think this is going to be a flop in the US. If they'd had it ready for sale over the holidays, maybe it would have been a different story...but I just don't see people justifying the cost when everyone already has a multitude of portable electronic devices and PSPs acting as paperweights.

Maybe I'm just being a cynic. :shrug:

This.

In my opinion, Sony might as well just release a high-powered tablet and use Bluetooth to connect a PS3 style controller.

Like the Sony S1 tablet, just make it better, and maybe just a bit more portable.

Seeing as how Sony's (2) xperia phones and all versions of PSP were kind of meh, I doubt the Vita will accomplish much else.

Tablet with PS3 console options > handheld with small screen.
post #15 of 48 Old 01-11-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I looked at the Sony S tablet before buying my daughter a Kindle Fire for less than half the cost. Enough said on that subject.
post #16 of 48 Old 01-11-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

I looked at the Sony S tablet before buying my daughter a Kindle Fire for less than half the cost. Enough said on that subject.

I'm sure you did, as it does about less than half the stuff a real tablet can.
post #17 of 48 Old 01-11-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Which one? The Kindle or the S does half?

The Kindle does less than an iPad, that's for sure. But at $500 for the S, you are in iPad territory (I have an iPad, so I can compare apples-to-apples (no pun intended!)). And at that level, the competition is stiff.

The Kindle does quite a bit for the price point. Keep in mind we are comparing tablets (in my case the Kindle) to the Vita, not the Kindle to iPads.

Really, I was agreeing with you that I'd rather see a $200 Sony tablet that has the functionality of the Kindle, along with some Sony exclusives such as PS2/PSP/PSOne or a new standard type of game, rather than a beefed-up PSP. Even if it had been $300-400 and offered something really compelling, the S tablet would still make more sense than a Vita, but at that price point a little harder sell.

One item that really sounded good was the ability to use a PS3 controller along with the S tablet for game controls. Things like this are what compel buyers like me to consider something other than iPads or Kindles.
post #18 of 48 Old 01-11-2012, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One item that really sounded good was the ability to use a PS3 controller along with the S tablet for game controls. Things like this are what compel buyers like me to consider something other than iPads or Kindles.

I use my DSIII controller with both my tablet (ASUS Transformer) and phone (Droid3) wirelessly for game playback.

Not all games work well with it, but for those that do, when used in conjunction with the HDMI output on both devices, it offers functionality that the Vita is not willing to give you (fully mobile console gaming while travelling/hotelling.)

The interface with today's games on phones/tablets is offputting. But these are slowly getting better.

FWIW, there was just a 7" tablet (with HDMI out) announced at CES with Tegra III innards for $250. When it comes out I see that as a very compelling alternative gadget for someone shopping for a Vita (and not not hard-core set on a mobile gaming device with integrated game controls.)

-Suntan
post #19 of 48 Old 01-11-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post

Tablet with PS3 console options > handheld with small screen.

The best solution (and one that won't happen any time soon) is for Sony to release PlayStation Suite as a mobile app. Along with that release a DS3 controller that can be used with tablets.

There are already multiple controllers for the iPad (like the iCade), but the problem is that they don't support a lot of games. But with something like PlayStation Suite, there would suddenly be hundreds (or more) of PS1/PS2 games that could be compatible with the tablet controller. And it would open up the possibility of releasing new titles (like minis and other downloadable titles) through its own in-app storefront.

But that assumes that Sony can ever figure out what this "Suite" idea is and can get it off the ground. And it also assumes that Sony is willing to let it be a software and consumer platform that's free from any specific hardware. Alongside that, they could also release their own specific tablet marketed towards gaming.

But, again, that would require vision--something Sony is seriously lacking of late.

post #20 of 48 Old 01-11-2012, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Speaking of a tablet with playstation controls...

On topic, unless Sony scales back the launch like they are doing in some european markets, it probably won't be too hard getting a Vita Feb 22nd. However, this Canadian Best Buy pre-order deal is just too hard to resist (get Uncharted free with First Edition Bundle).

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2012...tion-pre-order
post #21 of 48 Old 01-11-2012, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Going to wait. I want to test one at a store first.
post #22 of 48 Old 01-11-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
nope. already have a ps3. don't need a smaller one.

500 gigs FTW.
post #23 of 48 Old 01-11-2012, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 316
I have pre-ordered the First Edition bundle, which is the 3G model + Little Devients + 4gig memory card + case, coming out a week earlier than the separates. They got me.

I also pre-ordered Uncharted when it was still under $40, and Wipeout 2048 for $30.

I can't defend this logic - my PSP gathers dust. But the Vita is a neat-looking toy, and... I dunno, I want it.

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #24 of 48 Old 01-11-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:

Which one? The Kindle or the S does half?

Kindle Fire does half or less of what an actual tablet (like the S) will do.

Quote:

The Kindle does less than an iPad, that's for sure. But at $500 for the S, you are in iPad territory (I have an iPad, so I can compare apples-to-apples (no pun intended!)). And at that level, the competition is stiff.

I agree $500 is too much for the S, but I don't use itunes for video and I don't like apple products for the most part. So, while the ipad appeals to most, I also see it as really overpriced, and I favor the S, anyday. The S has already and will continue to drop in price, while the ipad will remain overpriced.

Quote:

The Kindle does quite a bit for the price point. Keep in mind we are comparing tablets (in my case the Kindle) to the Vita, not the Kindle to iPads.

Well, you're comparing them. I was simply stating that the S with its DS3 compatibility is a step in the right direction for Sony. Comparing Kindle to Vita is like comparing a mid 90s laptop to a walkman. -Neither have enough similarities to belong in the same category for comparison.

I want Battlefield 3, on a tablet + DS3 controller, that can save my file to cloud storage on PSN, and then when I'm home, I can pick it back up on PS3 where I left off. Yes, I want to pay $60 for one copy of one game, and be able to use it on both the console and the handheld. Maybe I'm asking for too much.
post #25 of 48 Old 01-11-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

The best solution (and one that won't happen any time soon) is for Sony to release PlayStation Suite as a mobile app. Along with that release a DS3 controller that can be used with tablets.

There are already multiple controllers for the iPad (like the iCade), but the problem is that they don't support a lot of games. But with something like PlayStation Suite, there would suddenly be hundreds (or more) of PS1/PS2 games that could be compatible with the tablet controller. And it would open up the possibility of releasing new titles (like minis and other downloadable titles) through its own in-app storefront.

But that assumes that Sony can ever figure out what this "Suite" idea is and can get it off the ground. And it also assumes that Sony is willing to let it be a software and consumer platform that's free from any specific hardware. Alongside that, they could also release their own specific tablet marketed towards gaming.

But, again, that would require vision--something Sony is seriously lacking of late.

I like the idea, and wish it would happen, but like you said it would take away from sony's hardware sales. Why make an exclusive Sony tablet if all tablets can run your software? For the same reason microsoft doesn't make PCs.
post #26 of 48 Old 01-11-2012, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I like the idea, and wish it would happen, but like you said it would take away from sony's hardware sales. Why make an exclusive Sony tablet if all tablets can run your software? For the same reason microsoft doesn't make PCs.

It's all about philosophy. Apple lets multiple platforms run iTunes, but it limits which content can run on all platforms, and only lets certain things (like apps) run on Apple hardware. Sony could do similarly. They won't. But they could.

post #27 of 48 Old 01-12-2012, 06:18 AM

I wasn't originally going to pre-order, but I did in the end. The 3G version.

I've already received the cradle, flip n' play case, and 32GB card from Japan. On release day I think I'll get Uncharted and Everybody's Golf to be getting on with.
post #28 of 48 Old 01-12-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_FORCE View Post

I've already received the cradle, flip n' play case, and 32GB card from Japan. On release day I think I'll get Uncharted and Everybody's Golf to be getting on with.

What's the flip n' play case? I googled it and couldn't find anything.

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #29 of 48 Old 01-12-2012, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I want Battlefield 3, on a tablet + DS3 controller, that can save my file to cloud storage on PSN, and then when I'm home, I can pick it back up on PS3 where I left off. Yes, I want to pay $60 for one copy of one game, and be able to use it on both the console and the handheld. Maybe I'm asking for too much.

https://market.android.com/details?i...mUuY2xpZW50Il0.

Next best option.

-Suntan
post #30 of 48 Old 01-12-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't use itunes for video

Neither do I. No rule says I have to use iTunes to control the videos on my iPad.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page