What happened to online gaming? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 01-12-2012, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I got my ps3 in december 2007, my fisrt game was rfom & cod4. During those days almost everyone had a mic. Then i got into warhawk, socom, burnout paradise. it was good fair competition. Nowadays it seems like every online game is the same, perks, xp, killstreaks etc.. If your new to a game then you'll get stuck in room with vets. I just tried resistance 3 online and the game was terrible. People had shields and all kinds of crazy stuff going on.

I remember in rfom going into custom rooms with 1 hit kills. Everyone had the same weapon , no xp, killstreaks or perks. just skill. I welcome peoples opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-12-2012, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by MA5CMPB View Post

I got my ps3 in december 2007, my fisrt game was rfom & cod4. During those days almost everyone had a mic. Then i got into warhawk, socom, burnout paradise. it was good fair competition. Nowadays it seems like every online game is the same, perks, xp, killstreaks etc.. If your new to a game then you'll get stuck in room with vets. I just tried resistance 3 online and the game was terrible. People had shields and all kinds of crazy stuff going on.

I remember in rfom going into custom rooms with 1 hit kills. Everyone had the same weapon , no xp, killstreaks or perks. just skill. I welcome peoples opinion.

That's exactly the reason I almost never play things online. I'm a more casual gamer and play because it's fun. I'm really looking forward to SSX coming out, it looks awesome and can't wait to get tricky! However, when I've played things online (most recently the UC3 beta) my fun level drops off a cliff. I'm in there with people who've achieved some kind of god like status and I'm able to kill someone maybe 10% of the time...and that's being part of a team. A man can only take being picked off by 12 year olds for so long.
post #3 of 24 Old 01-13-2012, 05:21 AM

Liked: 832
Quote:

Right or wrong, COD is a $3 billion dollar franchise.

Next question.
post #4 of 24 Old 01-13-2012, 07:10 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Yup I agree. Ive posted about this before. In RFoM everyone was equal, you want a weapon get to the spawn point first! Loved it! Loved the co-op in R2, MP not so much. Thats the only trophy I would need to plat R2 is the 10k in online gaming. Now with the lastest update of R3 you cant even choose what you want to play online. Game of the week? Really? I liked breach and now you cant even choose it! I tried to get back into R3 last week and it was alright just not capturing my attention like RFoM. I still play the hell out of COD4 and W@W, MW2 was fun for awhile but its just meh for me now. Decided not to get Black Ops or MW3 as they just rehash the same maps. Loved KZ2, played the hell out of that online with the NOM clan and then KZ3 was a huge disappointment. They always try to improve on the games but they always make them worse and like COD, IMO.
post #5 of 24 Old 01-13-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Right or wrong, COD is a $3 billion dollar franchise.

Next question.

Justin Beaber makes other people a whole lot of money too... ...doesn't mean it should happen.

-Suntan
post #6 of 24 Old 01-13-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by suntan View Post

justin beaber makes other people a whole lot of money too... ...doesn't mean it should happen.

-suntan

lol!!!

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

post #7 of 24 Old 01-13-2012, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I've put in over 9 hours in Battlefield 3 and I have yet to come across a single person on a mic.

PSN = JUST_KEVIN
post #8 of 24 Old 01-13-2012, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

Justin Beaber makes other people a whole lot of money too... ...doesn't mean it should happen.

-Suntan

CoD, despite it's issues, is still the gold standard by which console FPS are judged. You're entitled to your opinion but I find it funny just how much criticism CoD receives for no other reason than it IS popular.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #9 of 24 Old 01-13-2012, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
It just seems like the earlier ps3 games were easier to get into if you were new. Alot of the newer games have too much going on, and they throw u in a room with vets. warhawk is a perfect example, u could choose what game u wanted to be in, plus they had rooms for certain levels. It wasnt an easy game to figure out at first, but it was fair because everyone had the same access to all of the weapons and vehicles.

plus a lot of peoples communicated more
post #10 of 24 Old 01-13-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
My opinion on the reason online multiplayer FPS becomes it is today is they are designed to encourage gamers to play the game as early and as often as possible to be the "top dogs". For those who are late to the party, you just have to deal being no body being kicked around since you don't have the XP, weapon, etc to fight back. If you keep at it for a long time, you can slowly earn your way up. But it's much harder and longer since you don't get as many novice for easy kills.

That's how online multiplayer is now. Not a place where everyone plays the same abilities and fair to each other. You have to invite your own friends and play privately to not be eaten alive.

The price to being early player is you have to deal with more buggy online condition, more patches and pay more for the game since it's new.

I also don't play online very often. I don't value the online multiplayer contents over single player compaign because I know when buy such game, I will not get much out of the online multiplayer. Online multiplayer contents are just time killers for me when I'm bored. Doesn't matter how many looses or kills when I do play online.
post #11 of 24 Old 01-13-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

It just seems like the earlier ps3 games were easier to get into if you were new. Alot of the newer games have too much going on, and they throw u in a room with vets. warhawk is a perfect example, u could choose what game u wanted to be in, plus they had rooms for certain levels. It wasnt an easy game to figure out at first, but it was fair because everyone had the same access to all of the weapons and vehicles.

plus a lot of peoples communicated more

People make new names all the time. So chances are you were still playing against a vet. Just didn't know it.
post #12 of 24 Old 01-13-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor_Kevin View Post

I've put in over 9 hours in Battlefield 3 and I have yet to come across a single person on a mic.

That's cause the voice / mic system is broken on PS3.

post #13 of 24 Old 01-13-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:

I got my ps3 in december 2007, my fisrt game was rfom & cod4. During those days almost everyone had a mic. Then i got into warhawk, socom, burnout paradise. it was good fair competition. Nowadays it seems like every online game is the same, perks, xp, killstreaks etc.. If your new to a game then you'll get stuck in room with vets.

Online FPS games operate according to the same design philosophy as MMOs: if you're not playing all the time, then everyone else is passing you. The only way to keep up is to play more than everyone else, and once you've bought into that mentality, you can't easily stop playing. There are always more perks, medals, items, and points to collect. It's the genius of the "dangling carrot" that WoW also uses to great effect. It's a big reason why CoD is so successful and continues to build its consumer base each year. It's not designed to be fair. That built-in inequality is what motivates players to keep playing (whether to maintain their advantage or to catch up to everyone else).

It's also why I never play online shooters.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #14 of 24 Old 01-13-2012, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

nothing will EVER beat the experience of Counterstrike online...having 3 of us in the same house yelling at each other from different rooms while playing others online were the days...

I have a fever and the only cure is more Blu-Ray....
post #15 of 24 Old 01-13-2012, 12:11 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:

-Suntan

I did put wrong in there, right?

post #16 of 24 Old 01-13-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ3118 View Post

nothing will EVER beat the experience of Counterstrike online...having 3 of us in the same house yelling at each other from different rooms while playing others online were the days...

I agree. Counter-strike is pretty special. I'm excited for CS: GO. I think if you get the PS3 version, the PC/MAC version will be included too.
post #17 of 24 Old 01-13-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

CoD, despite it's issues, is still the gold standard by which console FPS are judged. You're entitled to your opinion but I find it funny just how much criticism CoD receives for no other reason than it IS popular.

I wouldn't know about that. I've never played any of them for all the reasons that other people have said. I just don't have time (or the desire really) to devote endless hours to online game play for the sake of "keeping my skills up."

My comments have more to do with the notion that just because todays setup is popular with a certain subset of game players, based on the amount of money it generates, there's no room for a different online model which possibly could be popular with the rest of us.

-Suntan
post #18 of 24 Old 01-13-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I just wish the companies were better at match-making. As much as I'd love to, I just can't play 4 hours a day, so getting paired up with high-level, high-experienced power players isn't much fun for me.

Confidenceman has it right though, they're not designed to be fair. They WANT you chasing that carrot. Sigh... Oh well, still fun playing with you guys when I'm able.

post #19 of 24 Old 01-15-2012, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
that's why i'm pretty much done with online games. i have much more fun playing good single player games like arkham city or uncharted. that way you're not worrying about someone using cheap tactics, getting screwed by lag or overpowered this or that, etc. online co-op is still fun for a few minutes, sometimes. but in the era of the k/d, online gaming is pretty much worthless overall.

what would bring me back -- timesplitters 4. i loved those games. just pure, over the top fun. that's what we need to get back to. that being said, i'll probably give ssx's online mode a shot.

500 gigs FTW.
post #20 of 24 Old 01-15-2012, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wouldn't know about that. I've never played any of them for all the reasons that other people have said. I just don't have time (or the desire really) to devote endless hours to online game play for the sake of "keeping my skills up."

My comments have more to do with the notion that just because todays setup is popular with a certain subset of game players, based on the amount of money it generates, there's no room for a different online model which possibly could be popular with the rest of us.

-Suntan

I don't deny that. But if you tried CoD you might be surprised! One of the reasons CoD is so popular is that it IS an easy game to get into! Sure, those that play longer will be better but it's not like that isn't the case with any game you play.

I play MW3 on the 360 with the AVS group here and it's plenty of fun regardless of the skill level or experience of the players involved. Now, it is true that CoD can be a bit overwhelming at first... but the thing that you have to remember is that there is no "right" class regardless of what people will tell you. Pick a gun and a couple of perks or, better yet, pick a default class and start playing! You'll pick up the rest in no time.

Oh, I mentioned it before but make sure you play with a PARTY! Playing with a group-- especially a group of AVSers-- makes playing a lot more fun and you'll pick up the game a lot quicker.

And one more thing, to the poster above: forget about stats. Seriously they don't matter to anyone but the 12 year olds that shouldn't be allowed to play anyway! I'm pretty decent at CoD and I would challenge anyone to tell me how (not) good I am just by looking at my K/D.

--Carl Sagan
post #21 of 24 Old 01-15-2012, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't deny that. But if you tried CoD you might be surprised! One of the reasons CoD is so popular is that it IS an easy game to get into! Sure, those that play longer will be better but it's not like that isn't the case with any game you play.

I play MW3 on the 360 with the AVS group here and it's plenty of fun regardless of the skill level or experience of the players involved. Now, it is true that CoD can be a bit overwhelming at first... but the thing that you have to remember is that there is no "right" class regardless of what people will tell you. Pick a gun and a couple of perks or, better yet, pick a default class and start playing! You'll pick up the rest in no time.

Oh, I mentioned it before but make sure you play with a PARTY! Playing with a group-- especially a group of AVSers-- makes playing a lot more fun and you'll pick up the game a lot quicker.

And one more thing, to the poster above: forget about stats. Seriously they don't matter to anyone but the 12 year olds that shouldn't be allowed to play anyway! I'm pretty decent at CoD and I would challenge anyone to tell me how (not) good I am just by looking at my K/D.

I'll take that challenge lol.
post #22 of 24 Old 01-16-2012, 09:57 AM

Online multiplayer can be incredibly frustrating, but like with most things, it has its ups and downs. I'm pretty casual with video games, so I'm definitely not at the top of any leaderboards, but I have my good nights. There are always going to be those people that prestige within the first few hours of getting a new COD. There are always going to be cheaters and hackers. However, it comes down to your own decision about playing the game. I like sitting back on my couch and playing for awhile, but I try not to let it stress me out...that's not why I play. I play for fun. If I get too frustrated, I turn it off or play something else.

I will agree that playing with friends makes for a more fun experience. I play MW3 on 360 with some other people on the AVS forums, and it's almost always an awesome time.
post #23 of 24 Old 01-16-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

I'll take that challenge lol.

Juke... You forget I've played with you! Lol! Only on the PS3 would you stand a chance (ps3 controller is a good handicap me thinks)! That's not boasting-- just plain, hard fact! :P

--Carl Sagan
post #24 of 24 Old 01-16-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Juke... You forget I've played with you! Lol! Only on the PS3 would you stand a chance (ps3 controller is a good handicap me thinks)! That's not boasting-- just plain, hard fact! :P

You have? When was this? lol. News to me! I'll play you on 360. I don't mind lol. I prefer 360 controllers to anything else.

That's why I've never understood the whole ps3 vs 360 debate. 360 being better gamers blah blah blah. 360 has the best controllers out there. Making me a dominate player vs ps3. Any of my "best games" have all been higher on 360. Killstreaks. Over all KD. I feel at home when I hold a 360 controller lol. But. Not a single person I know in person plays it like they do ps3. Gears of war is the best game ever. To bad it isn't my calling lol.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page