Warhawk Reverse Lockon - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-17-2012, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello all.

I have been playing Warhawk for about 3 years, and I'm ashamed to say that I'm still not very good at flying. I've tried normal and pro, and I prefer Pro because I feel like I have more control, but it's more difficult to avoid missiles without chaff.

Recently I've been playing where people have been doing this "reverse lockon" trick, and it's really starting to *(&&^ me off. I'd like to know if any of you could describe how to do that. When they do it, I have no way to avoid getting hit, and I get killed every single time.

I'd also appreciate any suggestions on what control combinations could be used to avoid missiles while flying in pro mode. I currently push the right and left sticks up and down, which kind of rocks the plane up and down, but I still end up getting killed because they end up catching up to me.

I'd also really like to know how someone can fly in normal mode for an entire game and have the entire team shooting missiles at them, and somehow they're able to live. Even when I switch to normal mode and go into crazy barrel rolls and shoot up and down, I still will get killed nearly every single time.

Please, if you know the answers, please share them with me. It seems as though many of the really good players want to keep their tactics as secrets, and I have no one to just "practice" or experiment with.

Samsung TV - PN59D8000 - wall mounted
HW50ES projector w/electric Elite 120" ceiling mounted screen (drops in front of plasma)
Receiver - Yamaha RX-A3000
Front Speakers - B&W CM9, Center - B&W CMC2, Surrounds - B&W CM5
SVS PB12+, SVS PB13 Ultra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-17-2012, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Not sure what you mean by reverse lock on, but this is the video I watched to understand missile dodging in pro-flight.

Down and left with both sticks quickly, then back to where you were headed, basically.

http://youtu.be/VX1gDnqJBGM

PSN ID: Seldom_Seen
post #3 of 6 Old 01-17-2012, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks for your response.

I'm assuming you mean to push the left and the right sticks to the left. I'll give that a try tonight.

As for the reverse lockon, the best way I can describe it is when I'm following someone (so we're both heading in the same direction), they do this crazy loop and then they fire their missile. I've read that when this is done, they obtain the lock prior to going in the same direction as their opponent, and they can hold that lock even when their opponent is behind them. Then they do a crazy loop and shoot, and there's nothing that I can do to avoid the missile.

Samsung TV - PN59D8000 - wall mounted
HW50ES projector w/electric Elite 120" ceiling mounted screen (drops in front of plasma)
Receiver - Yamaha RX-A3000
Front Speakers - B&W CM9, Center - B&W CMC2, Surrounds - B&W CM5
SVS PB12+, SVS PB13 Ultra
post #4 of 6 Old 01-17-2012, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

More like nose dive then swing left (or right) with both sticks. So if you use the inverted control, both sticks go up and then curve to the left, then back to center.

Haven't played Warhawk in a while, so I have not seen what you are describing as far as the Top Gun like super move for missile lock. If you get the beeping of a launched missile try the above maneuver.

post #5 of 6 Old 01-18-2012, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The reverse lock on is a glitch that is exploited by the normal flight players. It really sucks. That combined with their ability to scrub almost any missile fired at them makes the good normal flight player extremely difficult to kill. I have found that the majority of players still playing warhawk utilize this tactic, which has made the game less fun, IMO.

There is a phrase in warhawk lexicon called "spin to win", reflecting the dominance of this flight mode.

If you have not done the tutorial, there is a section where you can practice dodging missiles. In proflight you essentially rock both L and R back and forth so that your wings dip to the right then back to the left. The tutorial will show you how to do it.

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
PSN: mule-tool
post #6 of 6 Old 01-18-2012, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgonzomd View Post

The reverse lock on is a glitch that is exploited by the normal flight players. It really sucks. That combined with their ability to scrub almost any missile fired at them makes the good normal flight player extremely difficult to kill. I have found that the majority of players still playing warhawk utilize this tactic, which has made the game less fun, IMO.

There is a phrase in warhawk lexicon called "spin to win", reflecting the dominance of this flight mode.

If you have not done the tutorial, there is a section where you can practice dodging missiles. In proflight you essentially rock both L and R back and forth so that your wings dip to the right then back to the left. The tutorial will show you how to do it.

And if anyone knows about Warhawk flight it's this guy. He had a training session with the AVS born NOM clan back in the day that helped get me up to speed.

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page