Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

This isn't an xbox vs. ps3 thread.
It's a PS3 vs. new PS3 thread. It's a Cadillac CTS vs. Chevy Calvalier analogy.
One may be more efficient, but it lost all the creature comforts and bells and whistles along the way and the ride is crap too.

Nonsense, The slim is the General Lee. A little rust, not a particularly good paint job, but it's fast and can take a beating.

Again. If you're so worried about the external look, rather than reliability and features, then by all mean send it away to one of the many places that will case mod it for you. Still, I'm left even wondering if you have a slim, since you incorrectly state there's no LED's. The slims are only missing one LED, and that's the network connection LED on the front.

newer slims don't have LEDs. middle aged slims have LEDs. It isn't all about cosmetics. My PS3 phat is quieter, more refined, and ultimately seems of much higher build quality. The PS3 fat loads blurays what seems like 2x's as fast, makes no clunky noises on load, and inserts and ejects a disc smoothing instead of grinding sounds.....it's all about presentation.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 07-02-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I notice no speed difference starting up a bluray between my phats and slims, well not when I had them both. I wish my slims didn't have LEDs. I covered them up with black tape anyway. My slims don't grind when loading discs. And there's no way my phats were as quiet as my slims. In fact I traded in my 40gb non-BC slim during a promotion (it ended up a wash!) and almost immediately sold my 80gb BC model when I heard how quiet the slim was.
post #33 of 50 Old 07-02-2012, 12:28 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

newer slims don't have LEDs. middle aged slims have LEDs. It isn't all about cosmetics. My PS3 phat is quieter, more refined, and ultimately seems of much higher build quality. The PS3 fat loads blurays what seems like 2x's as fast, makes no clunky noises on load, and inserts and ejects a disc smoothing instead of grinding sounds.....it's all about presentation.

I have the newest SKU slim and I'm looking at the front facing LED's right now. So, you calling me a liar?

The comments online about Sony removing all the LED's are FUD. The red/green/yellow power on LED and HDD LED are still there. So is the rear network led in the RJ45 connection. Only one missing is the blue network connection LED that served little if any purpose.
post #34 of 50 Old 07-02-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I had to crank up my AVR's volume settings to drown out the noise my 40 GB fat's fan made--continuously--just so I could hear movie dialog. Whatever little noise the slim may be making when the disc loads or ejects is inconsequential in comparison--just like I don't stress over the little extra noise my car makes when I first turn the ignition compared to when I'm driving or it's idling.

I also don't spend a lot of time looking at or touching the PS3 itself, so aesthetically I wouldn't care if it looked like a box of donuts. That it works is what matters.
post #35 of 50 Old 07-02-2012, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
maybe I should take a video of this things to show the difference...perhaps I have a defective unit, but my slim is pretty poor.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout

post #36 of 50 Old 07-03-2012, 07:49 AM

Liked: 10
I'm always kind of surprised to hear about how many hardware failures people experience. I have a launch Xbox 360 and a launch PS3 60GB system, both still going strong. I don't use cabinets and both are stored open air, maybe that has something to do with it. I also have 3 indoor dogs so I HAVE to clean pretty regularly to keep the loose hair to a minimum around the place and cleaning the consoles is definitely part of that routine.

Maybe I'm just lucky, I get a twinge of fear whenever I see a thread like this. eek.gif
post #37 of 50 Old 07-03-2012, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by convexion View Post

Maybe I'm just lucky, I get a twinge of fear whenever I see a thread like this. eek.gif
We'll call it luck. wink.gif

Tough to know what the actual failure rates are, and you have to calculate those over time. The early 360s have a high failure rate within the first 1-2 years. The early PS3s have a high failure rate within the first 3-4 years. But exactly what "high" translates to is anyone's guess. Tech and consumer firms have put the estimates (for both platforms) anywhere from 5-20%--and of course percentages increase over time--and both companies have ongoing suits. MS resolved (most of) theirs with their generous replacement program. Sony mostly squeaks by on what's considered legally acceptable and beyond their warranty coverage.

Everyone I know with either a 360 or a PS3 is on their second unit or a repaired one. Some 360 owners I know are on their third or fourth (my repaired 360 from 2010 is still functioning). And while that's purely anecdotal, where there's smoke, there's usually fire.

Regardless, both companies seem to have worked out the kinks in their hardware revisions. Hopefully their early mistakes were costly enough to prevent them from doing the same thing next time around. Though, as for myself, I'll definitely be waiting a year or more before I jump into the next generation hardware.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #38 of 50 Old 07-04-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
I've had 2 ps3's since launch, and have had no issues with noise or failure.

What do you guys do to these things?biggrin.gif
post #39 of 50 Old 07-04-2012, 11:30 AM

Liked: 11
From my experience, I feel the old PS3 fats were built severely lacking in quality due to all the hardware failures. The first one I purchased when it was released failed within the first 3 months. It had stopped reading disks. My replacement unit lasted a little over 6 months before it stopped reading disks and the power supply failed. My third PS3 fat unit lasted about 8 months before I had the infamous yellow light of death. At that point, I was fed up and ended up doing the promotion of trading the old PS3 unit in for a new slim version. My PS3 slim has been running strong ever since with no issues. I have since purchased another PS3 slim and that unit has had no issues either. Although I prefer the looks of the PS3 fat version, at the end of the day, the only thing that matters to me is that is works. All of my friends who had the PS3 fat version had theirs fail as well. The most common was the disc reading laser failing. One friend of mine just had is launch day PS3 fat fail about a month ago. His stopped reading discs. Out of my friends who now have the slim version, none have had any issues whatsoever. I think the PS3 slims are much quieter compared to the fats. I don't notice any sound when playing a blu ray or a game.
post #40 of 50 Old 07-04-2012, 11:53 AM

Liked: 13
My Jan '07 built 60G is still going strong. I open it up and clean out the dust every year or so.

Cheers,

Jeff

SXRD/Denon/OPPO/HTPC/PS4/PS3/XB360/NHT/HSU
PSN ID: Krondorian
XBL ID: Midkemian
West Coast
Twitter: @Krondo_jd
post #41 of 50 Old 09-22-2012, 02:05 AM

My buddy's got a old, "fat" I guess, PS3 that just stopped reading discs all together. I doesn't even recognize a disc has been inserted, just pulls it in and sits. He used to claim it was better than the newer models. That being said I'm in the market for a PS3, my first console since the N64, should I stay away from certain models or ??

-Dustin-
post #42 of 50 Old 09-22-2012, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I actually went back to phat ps3 and am going to sell off the slim. Its junk compared to the phat. Obnoxious loading noises, flickering screens while loading blurays, cheaply made...no card reader, no extra usb ports for charging. Reeks of cheap compared to original 60gb model.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout

post #43 of 50 Old 09-22-2012, 02:17 PM

Liked: 11
There is nothing about the Fat PS3 that I miss.

"I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am HE, ye shall die in your sins."

John 8:24 (King James Version)

PSN: IR_dgjr
post #44 of 50 Old 09-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgjr View Post

Me either

Join the AVS Folding @ Home team!! Team #55280

PSN ID= moepoker
XBL ID= moepoker
post #45 of 50 Old 09-23-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgjr View Post

I miss the style and look, but that's about it. Performance wise my Slim has been doing much better; it's both quieter and cooler.
post #46 of 50 Old 09-24-2012, 08:58 AM

so there's a newer PS3 slim???

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/369782/features/review-the-new-ps3/

PRO-60X5FD
PRO-70X5FD
post #47 of 50 Old 09-24-2012, 09:02 AM

sorry I see there's another thread on this

PRO-60X5FD
PRO-70X5FD
post #48 of 50 Old 09-24-2012, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The only benefit I see of the 3rd model is; If it does die you can get the disc out without having to take it apart - maybe?
post #49 of 50 Old 09-24-2012, 11:23 AM

It's also the model that will get it to the sub $200 range eventually. Not much incentive to pick one up now with no price difference, but this will be the last version of the PS3 and it will be cheap sooner or later.
post #50 of 50 Old 09-24-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
I had 2 phats, now I have 2 slims. NOT the new model. I got both slims at release time. There is nothing I'd go back to the phat for, even BC.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page