New PS3 is lame - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-30-2012, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 876
I have an original 60GB launch PS3. I've never had a problem with it but am getting afraid of it, due to its age. I recently bought a new PS3 bundle with the 160gb PS3. I'm not impressed.

The new PS3 is louder in dvd spin noise and disc load mechanism noise, seems made of cheese, has lesser DVD quality on my projector, makes more noise in spinning up a bluray or DVD, has weird color/artifacts when switching into DVD or BluRay - and just overall seems of much lesser quality. I'll lose multiple USB ports, my card reader, ps2 game playback, and a overall much sexier machine??!? The stuff I lose is pretty negligable, but the stuff I gain is pretty negligable too and seems offset by the ill manners of the new hardware.

I'm actually considering just keeping my 60GB PS3 until it belly ups, and selling the new one instead of selling the old one.

Anyone else experience similar reaction upon purchase of a slim? The benefits to the new one are the losseless audio through Bitstream allowing me to see my DTS MA and DD HD receiver lights, and the lower power use, but I don't have any more confidence in the longevity of the slim with all the clunks and clanks due to the disc mechanism and weird crazy color non black screens it throws up when switching discs when compared to my phat.

The original PS3 just seemed a much higher quality machine.

Thoughts?

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2012, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I have an original 60GB launch PS3. I've never had a problem with it but am getting afraid of it, due to its age. I recently bought a new PS3 bundle with the 160gb PS3. I'm not impressed.

The new PS3 is louder in dvd spin noise and disc load mechanism noise, seems made of cheese, has lesser DVD quality on my projector, makes more noise in spinning up a bluray or DVD, has weird color/artifacts when switching into DVD or BluRay - and just overall seems of much lesser quality. I'll lose multiple USB ports, my card reader, ps2 game playback, and a overall much sexier machine??!? The stuff I lose is pretty negligable, but the stuff I gain is pretty negligable too and seems offset by the ill manners of the new hardware.

I'm actually considering just keeping my 60GB PS3 until it belly ups, and selling the new one instead of selling the old one.

Anyone else experience similar reaction upon purchase of a slim? The benefits to the new one are the losseless audio through Bitstream allowing me to see my DTS MA and DD HD receiver lights, and the lower power use, but I don't have any more confidence in the longevity of the slim with all the clunks and clanks due to the disc mechanism and weird non crazy color non black screens it throws up when switching discs when compared to my phat.

The original PS3 just seemed a much higher quality machine.

Thoughts?

I'm still rocking my 80GB Motorstorm (BC) Phattie and I hope it lasts until the PS4 comes out. I see no reason to buy a slim I might not even need until it actually dies. It's not like slims are in short supply or hard to get plus I'd also have to get an SACD player. I get a lot of enjoyment out of listening to the 5.1 channel SACD mixes sometimes. That would be the biggest loss for me on moving to a Slim, with the lack of USB ports being the next biggest. I haven't put a PS2 game into it in years, although the kids occasionally do. If it wasn't clear, my vote is stick with Phattie.

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Welcome to Economy of scales
Old 01-30-2012, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Have the 80gig with the 4 usb ports and it now sounds like a vacuum. Had it since 2007
Bought the 120gb slim while I was on deployment back in February. I have had no problems with either one. I normally play movies and some exclusives.

The 5.0 is here
Old 01-30-2012, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had, well still have a redlight of death 80gb motorstorm bundle and recently purchased the black friday 160gb and its worlds quieter and easier on the energy bills! "feels" much more cheaply made but it works better and thats all that matters!
Old 01-30-2012, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I hear ya. Just make sure you're rocking PS+, so you have backups of your Saves and you're good to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounta1n View Post

I'm still rocking my 80GB Motorstorm (BC) Phattie and I hope it lasts until the PS4 comes out. I see no reason to buy a slim I might not even need until it actually dies. It's not like slims are in short supply or hard to get plus I'd also have to get an SACD player. I get a lot of enjoyment out of listening to the 5.1 channel SACD mixes sometimes. That would be the biggest loss for me on moving to a Slim, with the lack of USB ports being the next biggest. I haven't put a PS2 game into it in years, although the kids occasionally do. If it wasn't clear, my vote is stick with Phattie.

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

Old 01-30-2012, 05:33 PM

Liked: 832
Your fatty will die. Personally the only thing louder on mine is the disc loading; fan and operation are much quieter and much, much, much cooler.

I do miss my ports, and the sexiness and style of the old one, but that's about it. My Slim hopefully will last longer than the 2 years I got out of my two phats. Worst comes to worst, once the warranty is up I can take her apart and mod the case with a nice piano black finish myself.

In any case I'm too busy starting at my TV to worry about how the PS3 looks during operation.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Same thing. I switched my old fatty 60 gb since it was starting to act weird while playing Dark Souls (I was switching weapon then the weapon would disappear and random glitch).

The new slim is uglier IMO, I need a USB hub to power up my external HDD (even if it's have it's own power supply), miss the card reader....
Old 01-31-2012, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Yep, same here. Picked up a new 320gb yesterday to replace my Jan 07 60gb that just went YLOD. The BD drive is LOUD! No fan noise at all, though. Much cheaper construction.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Anyone else experience similar reaction upon purchase of a slim?

PQ on DVDs shouldn't be any different. Perhaps a setting you're missing somewhere. But, yes, the slim PS3 just reads "cheap" all around. Cheap panel buttons, cheap drive loading, cheap casing, etc. But it is substantially quieter than my old 60g (RIP).

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
Old 01-31-2012, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I've got my slim in the living room behind a cloth door in an open backed cabinet. It never gets warm to the touch, so I'm not worried about airflow. And, I never have to look at it apart from when I am changing discs. It's nice not having to turn up the volume to drown out the jet engine.

The fattie that it replaced now resides in the bedroom on a dresser where it finds occasional use for movies and Netflix. Otherwise, it spends most of its time with a cat lounging on it....

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
Old 01-31-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Not trying to bring X360 into PS3 forum here but since we are talking about the drop in construction quality, how did Microsoft make the slim X360 to look "higher" quality? Being an owner of both plat/fat PS3 and X360 and slim PS3 and X360, I have to say the newer slim X360 is better built.

In addition, Microsoft added hardware features got dropped from plat PS3, ie. touch sensor power and drive eject buttons, additional USB ports, (had) glossy surface but now dropped most because it was dust magnet. The system runs much cooler, very quiet idle, and even the DVD drive is quieter when reading.

Slim PS3 built feels opposite, very cheap construction. The Blu-ray drive is very noisy when loading. I don't need to say the rest since we already know.

As for important factors, both slims run much cooler than plat/fat models, much quieter fan, lower power consumption.

So what's the point to compare to slim X360 here? How do Microsoft built a new quality construction but still able to make profit? And Sony has to give up so much in the construction quality only to keep PS3 cost low?
Old 01-31-2012, 10:47 AM

It's not actually a cheap construction, it just looks it. The lack of any detailing on the case furthers the look.

Take one apart and you won't be calling it cheaply constructed.

Truth be told the Phats were the system "cheaply constructed". The heatsink and cooling system were not anywhere close to adequate for the amount of heat those suckers were pumping out, which is leading to a ton of failures. They used a tiny bit of copper and mostly aluminum shims.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I have not noticed any loss in PQ going from my two phats to my two slims. After trading in my first phat for a slim during an offer from GS I could not resist, I almost immediately sold the second phat to get a second slim because I like it so much better. I never used the card readers, don't need more than 2 USB ports, and still have a PS2 if we ever wanted to play those games.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I also have an OG 60GB (and I love it, but it's loud and hot!). The slim should be much quieter and generate much less heat and use less electricity in my experience. Maybe you got a defective one.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I moved my working 60GB to another room and bought a 320GB slim (Uncharted 3 bundle). It's a give and take with the Slim, but the advantages are worth it.

The BD drive is noticeably louder when inserting a disc, and somewhat louder when reading. Tradeoff is zero noise when at idle, or when playing a movie. The heat reduction is welcome but the loss of 2 usb ports is annoying. I personally like the matte finish better and it's easier to keep looking clean.

The Slim does lack the elegance of the original design I agree. Since Sony is shooting to have a PS3 for sub $200 I can see the reasons for the change.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
Old 01-31-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

It's not actually a cheap construction, it just looks it. The lack of any detailing on the case furthers the look.

Take one apart and you won't be calling it cheaply constructed.

Truth be told the Phats were the system "cheaply constructed". The heatsink and cooling system were not anywhere close to adequate for the amount of heat those suckers were pumping out, which is leading to a ton of failures. They used a tiny bit of copper and mostly aluminum shims.

Yes, internally in slim PS3 is still well constructed. But other parts like Blu-ray drive is so loud when loading disc. Kind of like X360 gamers been complaining about the DVD noise, it's perception when the drive is noisy.

But higher quality external construction is still important for perception especially for new buyers or plat owners.

Until end of the 2012 which is over a year since 3000 model came out, I like see to see if reduction in cooling on 3000 model effects any reliability since there was almost no change to the electronics other than removal of LED lights.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
You could just go buy an old phat on ebay. Personally I enjoy paying half the price for twice the storage and otherwise the same machine, even if the disc spin up is a bit louder.

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
Old 02-02-2012, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 62
i hope my 40 gig lasts until ps4. as soon as i saw the slim, i thought it looked like a piece of ****. but this is the first time i've ever had anyone do a direct comparison and confirm my suspicions.

500 gigs FTW.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just keep your phat until it breaks then have Sony repair it for $120.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

i hope my 40 gig lasts until ps4. as soon as i saw the slim, i thought it looked like a piece of ****. but this is the first time i've ever had anyone do a direct comparison and confirm my suspicions.

So the ramblings of one person is all it takes to confirm your suspicion? I disagree with him, so does that put you on the fence?

Who cares what kind of noise it makes when inserting a disc, the big difference is that my old phat sounded like a hair dryer when watching movies, the slim is silent.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My 60gb phat never ramps up the fan and I bought it about one month after ps3 launch. The slim isn't just a little louder in loading disks, its a lot louder and clunks and sounds as cheap as cheap can be. I've never heard a disk drive on any disc based item make more clunky noises when inserting or ejecting disks unless it had failed.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
Old 02-03-2012, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

So the ramblings of one person is all it takes to confirm your suspicion? I disagree with him, so does that put you on the fence?

Who cares what kind of noise it makes when inserting a disc, the big difference is that my old phat sounded like a hair dryer when watching movies, the slim is silent.

i care. i don't want to hear it rattling around as it seeks and reads data.

500 gigs FTW.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've had enough of the new PS3, it's wierd purple colors on bluray insertion, horrible disc reading noises at spinup and 2x longer bluray load times. I've just unboxed my old 60GB PS3 and hooked it back up with a new 320GB 7200rpm hard-drive. It's installing updates. Man the PS3 60GB machines seems of much higher quality than my cheapo slim. I was over at a buddies house last night and his PS3 slim at least had a chrome/silver lip and led lights and didn't look as cheap. Mine is just cheap black plastic everywhere with no LED lights, no alternate colors to set it off, cheap buttons. Reeks of cheapness. Along with the aforementioned problems it's going on my secondary system in the living room and my phat is going back in my main theater room. I couldn't tell a difference between the audio codecs and so I'll just let the phat decode the sound rather than the receiver - though I do wish it fully passed the audio and I could get my pretty DTS-MA lights or Dolby Digital HD lights on the Onkyo receiver.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
Old 07-01-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D View Post

Not trying to bring X360 into PS3 forum here but since we are talking about the drop in construction quality, how did Microsoft make the slim X360 to look "higher" quality? Being an owner of both plat/fat PS3 and X360 and slim PS3 and X360, I have to say the newer slim X360 is better built.

In addition, Microsoft added hardware features got dropped from plat PS3, ie. touch sensor power and drive eject buttons, additional USB ports, (had) glossy surface but now dropped most because it was dust magnet. The system runs much cooler, very quiet idle, and even the DVD drive is quieter when reading.

Slim PS3 built feels opposite, very cheap construction. The Blu-ray drive is very noisy when loading. I don't need to say the rest since we already know.

As for important factors, both slims run much cooler than plat/fat models, much quieter fan, lower power consumption.

So what's the point to compare to slim X360 here? How do Microsoft built a new quality construction but still able to make profit? And Sony has to give up so much in the construction quality only to keep PS3 cost low?

Let me know when MS puts the power supply into the unit itself and a huge brick. The PS3 is so much better built, just go see a dissection video. The PSU, the cooling, etc. is all over engineered. You are left judging it by a plastic case, both have plastic cases. I have a fat 80GB and slim PS3, the 80GB is big shiny ugly and loud. With a USB hub all is good with a slim. Sony managed to get unit costs from >$800 to < $250 while making it smaller and using half the power. MS managed to make faulty units for years, better late than never. Glad they finally jumped on he wi-fi bandwagon too.

Now playing: Destiny, Madden, Diablo 3, PvZ: GW
Recently Finished: Infamous: First Light, Watch Dogs
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
Old 07-01-2012, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This isn't an xbox vs. ps3 thread.

It's a PS3 vs. new PS3 thread. It's a Cadillac CTS vs. Chevy Calvalier analogy.

One may be more efficient, but it lost all the creature comforts and bells and whistles along the way and the ride is crap too.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
Old 07-01-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

Let me know when MS puts the power supply into the unit itself and a huge brick. The PS3 is so much better built, just go see a dissection video. The PSU, the cooling, etc. is all over engineered. You are left judging it by a plastic case, both have plastic cases. I have a fat 80GB and slim PS3, the 80GB is big shiny ugly and loud. With a USB hub all is good with a slim. Sony managed to get unit costs from >$800 to < $250 while making it smaller and using half the power. MS managed to make faulty units for years, better late than never. Glad they finally jumped on he wi-fi bandwagon too.
You just got necro-trolled. tongue.gif

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
Old 07-01-2012, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

One may be more efficient, but it lost all the creature comforts and bells and whistles along the way and the ride is crap too.

Depends on the point of view of each person, for a person living in a third world country (like me), that reduction of "quality" along with the reduce of cost is well accepted.

Continuing with the comparisons between the CTS vs. Cavalier, well, I didn´t have money for the CTS, as simply as that.tongue.gif
Old 07-02-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Nonsense, The slim is the General Lee. A little rust, not a particularly good paint job, but it's fast and can take a beating.

Again. If you're so worried about the external look, rather than reliability and features, then by all mean send it away to one of the many places that will case mod it for you. Still, I'm left even wondering if you have a slim, since you incorrectly state there's no LED's. The slims are only missing one LED, and that's the network connection LED on the front.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

My 60gb system died a few weeks back. I paid someone on eBay to reball the graphics card on the PS3 (according to him, there were 10 bridge points under the video card that had cracked/broken. Cost me about $150, but it should be working when I get it back.

That said, I already have a 320gb PS3 that I got last year (with the intention of putting it in my bonus room...just hadn't gotten around to setting it up). I'm going to switch to that PS3 and move the old one to the bonus room.

I use a powered Rock Band USB splitter on my current PS3, so I may pick up a 2nd one to cover the other ports I'll be losing with the swap.