Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 136 Old 02-03-2012, 11:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Played the demo. Didn't really care for the look and feel of the game myself, but I can see how it might appeal to others. For me, the combat and camera weren't as responsive as I'd like for this style of gameplay, and the cartoony aesthetic didn't seem right. And the setting is Yet Another Fantasy Cliche, which doesn't really interest me.

The demo had a lot of audiovisual bugs once I got out into the world. Ground polygons would disappear after leaving an interior area, conversations began to auto-skip, and audio randomly cut in and out. I know this is from an early build, but it was still a bit troubling.

I'll be passing on this one.

- Jer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 136 Old 02-04-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaines View Post

The demo had a lot of audiovisual bugs once I got out into the world. Ground polygons would disappear after leaving an interior area, conversations began to auto-skip, and audio randomly cut in and out. I know this is from an early build, but it was still a bit troubling.

That initially troubled me too.

But Curt Schilling (yes, the baseball player), who owns the studio making this game, was horrified by EA's insistence of using such an early build with bugs as a demo, and has been very active in forums saying the demo's sound and graphical glitches have been removed for the retail release.

That, with IGN's reviewer praising a stable and glitch-free experience in the 50 hours he played the PS3 version, confirms that there should be nothing to worry about the quality of play experience.
post #33 of 136 Old 02-04-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 199
One point about camera complaints from the demo; the developer says that is one of several issues addressed in the final game.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #34 of 136 Old 02-04-2012, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
audio issues were annoying, but overall i liked the demo, I'll probably buy it when there's a price drodp to 40 bucks or less, the game really reminds me of a mix between world of warcraft and fable, which isn't a bad thing

I remember curt schilling being a huge dorky RPGer, he played everquest! So he does know what is good and what isn't. I tried that game (sadly) because of his recommendation and I will probably buy this because he seems very passionate about making a great game.
post #35 of 136 Old 02-06-2012, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaines View Post

Played the demo. Didn't really care for the look and feel of the game myself, but I can see how it might appeal to others. For me, the combat and camera weren't as responsive as I'd like for this style of gameplay, and the cartoony aesthetic didn't seem right. And the setting is Yet Another Fantasy Cliche, which doesn't really interest me.

I'll be passing on this one.

- Jer

I'm curious..you say the combat is not responsive enough. What RPG have you played where the combat was more responsive?

TV - Samsung DLP 4674W
Receiver - Pioneer 1015-K
Speakers - Polk 6901 (7.1 setup)
Sub - PSW303
DVD - LG 3510A
post #36 of 136 Old 02-06-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought the combat was good, it wasn't Demon/Dark Souls caliber, but it was good... almost a bit too simple for me though, might get repetitive after a while
post #37 of 136 Old 02-06-2012, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinoza_43221 View Post

I'm curious..you say the combat is not responsive enough. What RPG have you played where the combat was more responsive?

Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, any Snowblind action-RPG from the PS2 era, etc.

I sensed a noticeable delay between inputs and actions in the Amalur demo, much moreso than other action-oriented games. And the camera response was similarly delayed if I didn't manage it manually.

- Jer
post #38 of 136 Old 02-07-2012, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

It's funny you should mention Dark/Demon souls cause I consider the combat to be very similar to it and I find it...wait for it....more responsive. The block is slightly slower but the dodge seems to be much quicker for me. The initial weapon swing is about the same but the first weapon combo in Kingdoms of Amular seems to lock you in. Not a fan of that. The only thing is the play in the demo is so easy you don't need to get the timing down like you do in Dark/ Demon souls. I suspect this game is amazingly easy for any veteran Dark/Demon souls fan, that is why I hope on hard difficulty the game is a lot harder.

TV - Samsung DLP 4674W
Receiver - Pioneer 1015-K
Speakers - Polk 6901 (7.1 setup)
Sub - PSW303
DVD - LG 3510A
post #39 of 136 Old 02-07-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm hearing that vets of action games may want to start on Hard as well as choose not to buy heal potions (only use the ones you find in the wild).

post #40 of 136 Old 02-07-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

I'm hearing that vets of action games may want to start on Hard as well as choose not to buy heal potions (only use the ones you find in the wild).

This sounds like a good idea, but can it be changed mid-game?

I like a fair challenge, but I don't want to hit a point where it gets too frustrating. I would rather play a game that's a little on the easy side then play one where I'm dying too often.
post #41 of 136 Old 02-07-2012, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

This sounds like a good idea, but can it be changed mid-game?

I like a fair challenge, but I don't want to hit a point where it gets too frustrating. I would rather play a game that's a little on the easy side then play one where I'm dying too often.

From everything I've heard and read, the game gets easier as you go, not harder. So if you start on hard, you should know pretty quickly whether or not you've bitten off more than you can chew.

I haven't had a chance yet to pick this up (since Soulcalibur 5 is still sucking up most of my game time).

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #42 of 136 Old 02-07-2012, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

WOW..after watching that trailer I'll be D/L the demo tonight...looks really fun. Of course I cant purchase until i'm done with DS....

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
post #43 of 136 Old 02-07-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Just picked up my copy at lunch. Can't wait to fire it up tonight!

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

post #44 of 136 Old 02-07-2012, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Waiting on this and my Dyson from UPS

Chris Schempp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSN - Mandos_eD
post #45 of 136 Old 02-07-2012, 07:42 PM

For those that have had a chance to play can you comment on the audio visual issues? When I played the demo I found the frame rate to be rather erratic (compared to the 360 demo) and I found the audio syncing/skipping to be bothersome. I've read reports that the audio issues are still present in the retail release.
post #46 of 136 Old 02-08-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I haven't noticed anything.

I've got a couple hours invested now and I am SO digging this! To me, it's VERY refreshing (which is odd considering it "borrows" from many influences).

But that's okay to me - it puts them together in a way that's easy and fun. I have *barely* begun to get into this (just did a few quests so far), but I am really liking it.

Great graphics, fine soundtrack and audio, the game's RPG elements (inventory, levelling, skills, etc) SEEM just fine to me (SO early yet) - I'm looking forward to learning more about all the abilities and stuff. The combat is visual and visceral and engaging...

I really got nothing bad to say about it so far. That said, I'm notoriously easy going and laid back. I play it, I like it - I say, "It's great, love it!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeelaPo View Post

For those that have had a chance to play can you comment on the audio visual issues? When I played the demo I found the frame rate to be rather erratic (compared to the 360 demo) and I found the audio syncing/skipping to be bothersome. I've read reports that the audio issues are still present in the retail release.

post #47 of 136 Old 02-08-2012, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Schempp View Post

The problem with Amalur, is that the guy can wield a Dyson, a Hoover, a Eureka, a Rug Doctor, an Oreck, and throw DustBusters, all at the same time. To go along with his psionic ability to straighten and dust.
post #48 of 136 Old 02-08-2012, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by defdog99 View Post

The problem with Amalur, is that the guy can wield a Dyson, a Hoover, a Eureka, a Rug Doctor, an Oreck, and throw DustBusters, all at the same time. To go along with his psionic ability to straighten and dust.

Are u saying he is a hero that can wield many different weapons and use magic? Wow I guess he is the first action hero to do so............
post #49 of 136 Old 02-08-2012, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris6878 View Post

Are u saying he is a hero that can wield many different weapons and use magic? Wow I guess he is the first action hero to do so............

a two handed sword, throwing daggers, bow + arrows, a staff, and shield are all instantly accessible. Along with your magic missles (of course he puts away the weapon in that split second).

No manipulating your inventory like every other rpg or even a delay.
post #50 of 136 Old 02-08-2012, 04:23 PM

Well so far I love it
post #51 of 136 Old 02-08-2012, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by defdog99 View Post

No manipulating your inventory like every other rpg or even a delay.

Not sure where you're going with that, but to me, that's a good thing.

post #52 of 136 Old 02-08-2012, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman7w View Post

Not sure where you're going with that, but to me, that's a good thing.

Agreed! Inventory management is a royal PITA and fun drainer. It's one of those things that has drained the enjoyment of WRPGs for me.

-Suntan
post #53 of 136 Old 02-08-2012, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

you shoulda saved about 300 bucks and bought a shark!
post #54 of 136 Old 02-09-2012, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonies View Post

you shoulda saved about 300 bucks and bought a shark!

Sharks are free?

As for the game, played through the mines that weren't accessible in the demo last night. Definitely more difficult on hard, find myself actually using potions.

Chris Schempp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSN - Mandos_eD
post #55 of 136 Old 02-09-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I'm five hours in now and wish I could call in sick and play more. I'd be a lot farther along if I didn't have to sleep and work.

I love it.

SO intuitive and slick. There's been nothing that bogged me down and annoyed me so far. I haven't done any crafting or blacksmithing though, so that may still prove to be a pain in the butt.

But as far as quests, combat, inventory, dialogue, potions, armor, weapons, monsters, etc, I am diggin' it big time. I have no issues with it, and it's number one on my play list at the moment.

Cool a$$ game!!!

post #56 of 136 Old 02-09-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Definitely more difficult on hard, find myself actually using potions.

That's good to hear. I was a bit worried about the default difficulty, but it sounds like Hard has some edge to it.

post #57 of 136 Old 02-09-2012, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

That's good to hear. I was a bit worried about the default difficulty, but it sounds like Hard has some edge to it.

Guys hit harder and seem to have more HP.

The troll at the end of the demo hit me once and I was 1/2 dead.

Rolling/dodging is still good.

Chris Schempp

PSN - Mandos_eD
post #58 of 136 Old 02-09-2012, 03:08 PM

To make the game a lil tougher I started on hard and I also run around with my shirt off (no chest armor). Did that for a while until I was jumped by some bandits. Game is sweet. Quest after quest. I havent had time to get back to the main quest. Im going to become a member of some mercenary guild next. Sweet!
post #59 of 136 Old 02-09-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman7w View Post

Well, I'm five hours in now and wish I could call in sick and play more. I'd be a lot farther along if I didn't have to sleep and work.

I love it.

SO intuitive and slick. There's been nothing that bogged me down and annoyed me so far. I haven't done any crafting or blacksmithing though, so that may still prove to be a pain in the butt.

But as far as quests, combat, inventory, dialogue, potions, armor, weapons, monsters, etc, I am diggin' it big time. I have no issues with it, and it's number one on my play list at the moment.

Cool a$$ game!!!

Crafting is pretty cool and straightforward. Blacksmithing and sagecrafting show you what the effects of the thing you'll make are before you confirm. Alchemy doesn't, and you'll either get nothing or an unstable potion if you have a point in alchemy. Once you've discovered (or bought) a recipe it shows up in a recipes section that allows you to make potions directly.
post #60 of 136 Old 02-10-2012, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisg View Post

Crafting is pretty cool and straightforward. Blacksmithing and sagecrafting show you what the effects of the thing you'll make are before you confirm. Alchemy doesn't, and you'll either get nothing or an unstable potion if you have a point in alchemy. Once you've discovered (or bought) a recipe it shows up in a recipes section that allows you to make potions directly.

Another nice thing about alchemy, once you've made it once, you can't experiment to get it again. I didn't confirm with all unstables, but any actual potion I'd made wouldn't let me experiment.

Played for about 6 hours after work yesterday...didn't even realize it was so late. If I had a complaint, it's that you can just keep on getting quests...I think I have somewhere around 10 right now and that's just because I finally decided to actively finish some without taking new ones.

Chris Schempp

PSN - Mandos_eD
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page