Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 136 Old 01-31-2012, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
How is there no thread for this game here?

Played through the demo 3 times this weekend trying to do everything you could, kept getting that silly notification that the quest can only be completed in the full game.

Absolute day 1 purchase for me, I can't wait until next Tuesday.

Chris Schempp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSN - Mandos_eD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 136 Old 01-31-2012, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I tried the demo as well to unlock Mass Effect 3 goodies (speaking of "How is there no thread for this game here?"), but really couldn't get into it--didn't even finish the 45 minute freeplay to get the last ME3 item.

To be honest though, I've never really been into RPGs (Mass Effect 2, which I'm playing now, is my first), and the whole idea of spending scores of hours controlling a character who doesn't really have any ... well ... character because he/she never speaks is hard for me to get past.

I actually wanted to like it because as a single-player-type gamer, whose tired of all the crap on TV and what Hollywood puts out these days, I really want to give RPGs more of a shot, especially after my ME2 experience (I haven't put it down in over 6 weeks).

I know this thread is about Kingdoms of Amalur, so at the risk of highjacking it, I'm open to suggestions...or at least input as to why KoA is as good as any others out there.
post #3 of 136 Old 01-31-2012, 04:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Well, it has the best action-arcade styled combat I've ever seen in an RPG. It's as if the God of War fighting engine was set in the Elder Scrolls universe.

It has nice, fluid melee combos, a good selection of ranged attacks and a powerful magic system (all upgradable) for three classes that can all be re-spec'd as much as you want to get the exact type of hero that you want.

I dloaded the PS3 demo and had a blast. It's encouraging that the developer said all of the significant glitches in the demo build are resolved in the final, but it was pretty polished regardless.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #4 of 136 Old 01-31-2012, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Really excellent demo (despite the devs saying it's not representative). I must have played it a half dozen times in the past week. The amount of talent and heart in this project is really amazing (Ken Rolston's name alone would have been more than enough to sell me on the game).

I've said this a bunch in the 360 version of this thread, but I wish more developers would act the way that Big Huge Games and 38 Studios have acted. Direct and honest communication with gamers. Not a lot of PR bull. Go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

or at least input as to why KoA is as good as any others out there.

The co-lead designer on this is the same dude behind Morrowind. That should be enough. But it's also got really sharp, tight combat mechanics. Not typical in RPGs. It's also a big, open game, but not too big or too open. I'm not sold yet on the story or the world, but it's a short demo, so I wouldn't expect to be. If you're curious, just keep an eye out for the reviews. I have a feeling it'll surprise a lot of people.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #5 of 136 Old 01-31-2012, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
is it QTE crap or not? I'm downloading it now so I guess i'll give my impressions in a bit
post #6 of 136 Old 02-01-2012, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonies View Post

is it QTE crap or not? I'm downloading it now so I guess i'll give my impressions in a bit

The only semi QTE thing that's in the demo would be rapid pressing of one random face button for a special attack. Other than that, none that I found.

Chris Schempp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSN - Mandos_eD
post #7 of 136 Old 02-01-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonies View Post

is it QTE crap or not?

No. It's a combination of an Elder Scrolls open world, mixed with a Fable/WoW aesthetic, with Devil May Cry combat, and Diablo loot mania. I'm excited. My only reservation is that it seems ultra generic story-wise.

post #8 of 136 Old 02-01-2012, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

My only reservation is that it seems ultra generic story-wise.

Actually, the devs put a lot of importance in the story. R. A. Salvatore, one of the most popular and prolific fantasy writers, is handling the lore.

Here's the launch trailer:
post #9 of 136 Old 02-01-2012, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No. It's a combination of an Elder Scrolls open world, mixed with a Fable/WoW aesthetic, with Devil May Cry combat, and Diablo loot mania. I'm excited. My only reservation is that it seems ultra generic story-wise.

It apparently started with an outline of the last 10,000 years of history for the world. I'm guessing it gets a lot better than what was shown in the demo.

Chris Schempp

PSN - Mandos_eD
post #10 of 136 Old 02-01-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I tried the demo on my PC (don't bash me!) haven't tried it on my PS3.

I found the combat system very simple and boring (using KB/mouse was just click,click, hold click...) I'll need to try it with a controller. I didn't finish the whole 45 minutes thing so maybe I didn't unlock more powerful skills to use.

I'll give it another try this weekend. Was really interested in this game, I'm still but might not pick it up day 1 since I have way too many games to play already
post #11 of 136 Old 02-01-2012, 10:04 AM

Liked: 11
I had no idea about this game until I read an interview with Curt Schilling. I never knew he was a big gamer and Kindoms of Amalur is his first release from his video game company. I plan on downloading and playing the demo tonight.
post #12 of 136 Old 02-01-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I'm interested.

I'll be out of town next week but will be interested to hear initial impressions when I get back.

-Suntan
post #13 of 136 Old 02-01-2012, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Actually, the devs put a lot of importance in the story. R. A. Salvatore, one of the most popular and prolific fantasy writers, is handling the lore.

...not sure if you're being sarcastic or not.

Salvatore is about as dull and generic as fantasy fiction gets.

post #14 of 136 Old 02-01-2012, 09:48 PM

Im gonna wait on this one only because I have a crapload of other games right now to get through, and then by the time I get to Reckoning, it should be $29.99 or $39.99.

Really cool demo though, enjoyed the fighting mechanics. Didnt really care for the saturday morning cartoon graphics though, doesnt really fit the story or violent nature of the game.

"I need it. Buy it. Store it." - Tony Stark
post #15 of 136 Old 02-02-2012, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

...not sure if you're being sarcastic or not.

Salvatore is about as dull and generic as fantasy fiction gets.

I started to comment yesterday, but stopped myself since it had nothing to do with the game. Saying that RA Salvatore is one of the most popular fantasy writers is like saying my 2-year old is the best finger painter in the world.

It's been a long time since I read his stuff, but when I did...it was all AD&D Dark Elf stuff. Not real cerebral contributions to the genre.

Anyway. I'd been interested in this game until someone I know told me the demo was absolute garbage. Watching all of the videos, it just seems to be a mish mash of Two Worlds II, Skyrim, Fantasy Game No. 4.... I'd love to be proven wrong.

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
post #16 of 136 Old 02-02-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post

I started to comment yesterday, but stopped myself since it had nothing to do with the game. Saying that RA Salvatore is one of the most popular fantasy writers is like saying my 2-year old is the best finger painter in the world.

It's been a long time since I read his stuff, but when I did...it was all AD&D Dark Elf stuff. Not real cerebral contributions to the genre.

Anyway. I'd been interested in this game until someone I know told me the demo was absolute garbage. Watching all of the videos, it just seems to be a mish mash of Two Worlds II, Skyrim, Fantasy Game No. 4.... I'd love to be proven wrong.

You should check out the demo. The game design and combat mechanics are outstanding.

It's really just the setting and story that seem hollow. In addition to the hack Salvatore, they've got the whore Todd McFarlane doing character/world design. The two together mean that I don't have a lot of hope for what the world looks and feels like. But, really, it's impossible to tell in a 1.5 hr demo for a 60-100hr game. Story and world-feel take a long time to lock into place in an RPG.

But it's worth checking out just to see how different the mechanics are from every other RPG out there. It's pretty damn awesome.

post #17 of 136 Old 02-02-2012, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You should check out the demo. The game design and combat mechanics are outstanding.

It's really just the setting and story that seem hollow. In addition to the hack Salvatore, they've got the whore Todd McFarlane doing character/world design. The two together mean that I don't have a lot of hope for what the world looks and feels like. But, really, it's impossible to tell in a 1.5 hr demo for a 60-100hr game. Story and world-feel take a long time to lock into place in an RPG.

But it's worth checking out just to see how different the mechanics are from every other RPG out there. It's pretty damn awesome.

Agreed.

Also, the ongoing review on IGN states that he has never had a game stopping glitch in the 60 or so hours he's played. The demo is old code. That said, I had one freeze in the 5ish hours I played it total and occasionally a missing texture on the ground when I leave a building.

Chris Schempp

PSN - Mandos_eD
post #18 of 136 Old 02-02-2012, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I can't see how anyone can play the demo and say its absolute garbage. You might not like the game but to say its absolute garbage is just plain silly. The only things holding it back for me is I wish there was some kind of multiplayer and or local co-op option and the difficulty on medium seemed very easy so I hope hard truly is hard. That being said the controls are very responsive and combat is well done.

I'll add this. I have played the Diablo 3 beta for a while now and this a few times and I feel the Demo for Kingdoms of Amalur is far more enjoyable than the Diablo 3 beta.

TV - Samsung DLP 4674W
Receiver - Pioneer 1015-K
Speakers - Polk 6901 (7.1 setup)
Sub - PSW303
DVD - LG 3510A
post #19 of 136 Old 02-02-2012, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Since when does fiction always have to be cerebral?

I love my Game of Thrones, but I can also enjoy a Star Wars novel or... (wait for it)... my Drizzt collection. I think it's great, I love it.

Not everything needs to be Shakespeare.

And no, saying Salvatore is one of the most popular fantasy writers is... a fact. His sales numbers speak for themselves. You don't have to like it, nothing wrong with that (Hey - if we all liked the same thing, there'd only be one book!).

But your analogy about finger painting 2-yr olds is not very apt.

Quote:

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

post #20 of 136 Old 02-02-2012, 04:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

98% of gaming writing is instantly forgettable and/or terrible. Employing a decent writer is at least a positive sign by comparison.

post #21 of 136 Old 02-02-2012, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

98% of gaming writing is instantly forgettable and/or terrible. Employing a decent writer is at least a positive sign by comparison.

I think that's what's turned me off to a lot of single-player gaming. The writing is so bad, it makes me feel like I'm playing a game intended for 9-year olds. This certainly could have used a slightly less cartoony feel. It seems like the art style is perhaps meant to draw in WOW players, or not make them feel uncomfortable at least, but the gnomes especially made it feel like a game for kids right at the start. An M-rated game with 3rd grade reading level dialogue. Twilight was super popular, but that doesn't mean it was good writing. Neither is my convoluted bashing, so...

Despite that, I too think the game mechanics and combat fluidity is awesome. I played through the demo twice, and I'd certainly be more interested in this than Oblivion or Morrowind, both of which I tried, but stopped playing rather quickly. I hope it gets good reviews, and that the story ends up fleshing out well. I also started a Drizzt novel, and a Cleric quintet novel, and didn't bother finishing either, and I am a completist. It's pretty rare that I don't finish a book. So the RA Salvatore thing is sort of meh for me. I'll give him a chance, but I don't have high expectations for the story.

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
post #22 of 136 Old 02-02-2012, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Ah Drizzt, that takes me back about two decades. Good times. What was his cat's name again?

Anyway, I agree with Joe. Game writing in general is so bad that any writer with a published work is a start in the right direction.

-Suntan
post #23 of 136 Old 02-02-2012, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Professional novelists make terrible game writers. Such collaborations have rarely (if ever) turned out well.

post #24 of 136 Old 02-03-2012, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

To be fair, I read every single Salvatore novel in the AD&D space back in the late '80s/early 90's. If he's come out with stuff since I graduated HS, I haven't read any of it. I did enjoy his Drizzt books. Also read the Cleric Quintet. Just not sure that his writing would interest me as an adult...but I really can't say since I haven't picked up one of his books in some time. So, I'll at least retract the 2-yr. old finger painting comment.

Looking forward to trying the demo, but still haven't gotten around to it.

post #25 of 136 Old 02-03-2012, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Gwenif... Guewnv... Ghyuven...

I don't remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

Ah Drizzt, that takes me back about two decades. Good times. What was his cat's name again?

post #26 of 136 Old 02-03-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Guenhwyvar. Named my cat that in the 8th grade.

post #27 of 136 Old 02-03-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

LoL!! Where's the "LIKE" button!!?????

Quote:

Guenhwyvar. Named my cat that in the 8th grade.

post #28 of 136 Old 02-03-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

Anyway, I agree with Joe. Game writing in general is so bad that any writer with a published work is a start in the right direction.

-Suntan

Heh, and to take that point further, a lot of action movies are also rather bad in the writing/story-development department. We go see them anyway because often times the story isn't the main attraction. We're happy if the story is at least adequate to back up the real star of the show - the action.

So that's my expectation for the writing in KoA:R, that it is at least adequate to back up the main attraction of leveling up my arcadey, God of War styled combat hero in an RPG.

From what I can tell reading things about it around the 'net, the writing quality meets that standard. So I appreciate the effort they made in hiring a "real" writer to flesh some stuff out because we all know how bad really bad gaming writing can be.

post #29 of 136 Old 02-03-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 449
IGN's video review is up.

9.0, "Excellent". The reviewer played the PS3 version.
post #30 of 136 Old 02-03-2012, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Never heard of this game but it seems interesting. Even though he's getting dumped on here, I still like the entire Drizzt series from R.A. Salvatore and may check this game out.

PSN: PrankT

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page