LittleBigPlanet Karting - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 02-07-2012, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 186
The next game in the LBP franchise has been announced for the PS3. It'll be Move compatible with the use of a new wheel:

Quote:

LittleBigPlanet probably can't get cuter, but it can get cart-er -- LittleBigPlanet Cart Racing will be crashing into the PlayStation Move, complete with a Move-compatible racing wheel, Sony revealed at its Destination PlayStation event, as reported by Future Shop Gamer.

LittleBigPlanet Cart Racing will support full 3D, but Sony offered no further details.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-07-2012, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

The next game in the LBP franchise has been announced for the PS3. It'll be Move compatible with the use of a new wheel:

While I once would have considered such a game a day-one must-buy, after my experiences with the LBP Move Level Kit, I'll definitely need to demo this first.

After spending hundreds of hours playing LBP/LBPII with a Dualshock controller, I just couldn't get the feel for using the Move controller in that DLC level pack. It didn't help that those levels, story and design-wise, were meh, as I've never felt any desire to replay them after beating them the first time.
post #3 of 22 Old 02-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
So it's basically modnation racers with the move.

The Weekend Warriors
post #4 of 22 Old 02-07-2012, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by crippldogg View Post

So it's basically modnation racers with the move.

Good enough for me.

PS3 needs the equivalent of a Mario franchise. Something relatively safe, creative, and fun so I can feel good about putting my kid and his friends on it for hours.
post #5 of 22 Old 02-09-2012, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyidie View Post

Good enough for me.

so I can feel good about putting my kid and his friends on it for hours.

lol @ ps3 babysitter edition.

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #6 of 22 Old 02-09-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy* View Post

lol @ ps3 babysitter edition.

Guilty as charged
post #7 of 22 Old 02-09-2012, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Does anyone actually play/use LBP anymore? Seems like a dead idea in light of more recent games like Minecraft. I had two major issues with both PS3 LBP games: 1) the creation mode was totally separate from the play modes, and 2) they never got the control mechanics to feel right. It was always laggy and floaty.

Isn't the point that things like "LBP Kart" could be created with the creation mode as a user-created level?

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #8 of 22 Old 02-10-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Does anyone actually play/use LBP anymore? Seems like a dead idea in light of more recent games like Minecraft. I had two major issues with both PS3 LBP games: 1) the creation mode was totally separate from the play modes, and 2) they never got the control mechanics to feel right. It was always laggy and floaty.

Isn't the point that things like "LBP Kart" could be created with the creation mode as a user-created level?

Though I haven't touched LBP2 since the avalanche of AAA releases this past fall, I do still enjoy checking out community levels from time to time and plan on picking up the new Muppets DLC in the near future.

For me LBP2 was to LBP1, what Uncharted 2 was to Uncharted 1: an already awesome game was given a massive steroid injection resulting in across the board improvements.

Regarding your major issues with it:

1) Due to the depth and complexity of the creation tools it's difficult to see how creation and play modes could be less separate than they are currently. And at any point in the creation process, you only need to hit the start button and select "play" to experience how everything works in play mode. You can also do this with others (create/play), either locally or online.

As far as I'm concerned, if there's anything to criticize LBP for in this regard is just how complicated everything is (i.e., not user friendly)--though that complexity has enabled some hardcore community creators to put together levels that surpass even those the game ships with.

2) The controls have always felt very responsive to me (i.e., not laggy) though on occasion when playing with others online I've experienced a bit of lag. The floatiness is by design--it's just the way the game's (loose) physics works and part of its charm, and once you get accustomed to it, you learn how to use that extra bit of "hang time" to your advantage. Obviously it's not for everyone.

EDIT: OK, I just watched a Minecraft video on Minecraft's official site and I can say without hesitation I will not be giving up LBP for blocky, pixelated graphics straight out of a 1980s Dire Straits music video any time soon. :P
post #9 of 22 Old 02-10-2012, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It seems like this will be in direct competition with the Mod Nation Racers franchise. Maybe it will actually be playable though.

Sorry, had to take a crack at Mod. I was excited when that game came out, but I did not enjoy playing it at all. I thought Sonic Arcade Racing was a far better, fun cart racer. Although, I think there were 2 trophies that made me fall short of a Platinum trophy.

Speaking of almost Platinum trophies, but not a cart racer, I thought the Disney Pure game was a good fun racer. It would be nice to see some follow up to that.
post #10 of 22 Old 02-10-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Hey SharpOne, I'm with you. ModNation Racers was a day 1 purchase for us, in fact we pre-ordered, and we might have played it twice. When I sold one of my Phat systems, I gave it away with the system.
post #11 of 22 Old 02-10-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Well here's hoping that a new LBP kart racer is more pick-up and playable than Modnation Racers turned out to be.

I too bought MNR day one after trying out the demo in which I was able to adjust the difficulty and speed of the individual race I set up. However, once I got the game I quickly discovered you can't make those difficulty adjustments in Career mode. Several months later, the developers added a Casual difficulty mode to the Career mode, but it's still no walk in the park for a first-time player (the default difficulty that the game shipped with is now called "Expert")--and for a game that appears to be designed to appeal to younger/casual gamers.

In spite of that, after scores of frustrating hours of learning the controls, tracks, and cheap rubber banding AI tactics, I eventually came to very much appreciate and enjoy the game--I just couldn't get anyone else to play it with me (offline).
post #12 of 22 Old 02-10-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 78
After playing lots of Sonic racing I am looking forward to LBP racing. MNR was too difficult, even for adults.

Now playing: Destiny Beta, Wolfenstein
Recently Finished: Watch Dogs, Southpark: Stick of Truth, Infamous: SS
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #13 of 22 Old 02-10-2012, 08:50 PM

Put me in the camp that found MNR difficult to attach to. Took a lot of effort to get good enough to enjoy.
post #14 of 22 Old 02-11-2012, 02:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
move only? i hope not because the move is both pointless and retarded. i think we should put move users to good use by having them direct traffic when the power goes out. good ideas -- it's what i do.

500 gigs FTW.
post #15 of 22 Old 02-11-2012, 03:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

move only? i hope not because the move is both pointless and retarded. i think we should put move users to good use by having them direct traffic when the power goes out. good ideas -- it's what i do.

i played some shooting games like time crisis with the move and its really fun to use. its not retarded in my opinion.
post #16 of 22 Old 02-11-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

Speaking of pointless and retarded...

Now playing: Destiny Beta, Wolfenstein
Recently Finished: Watch Dogs, Southpark: Stick of Truth, Infamous: SS
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #17 of 22 Old 03-22-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Here's the announcement trailer.

post #18 of 22 Old 03-22-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I was actually very pleased to find out UFG (the creators of Modnation Racers) is behind LBP Karting. This possibly puts it in the "pre-order" category for me. According to responses by UFG reps in the PS blog comments, they've seriously addressed the loading time issue that plagued MNR.
post #19 of 22 Old 03-22-2012, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

I was actually very pleased to find out UFG (the creators of Modnation Racers) is behind LBP Karting. This possibly puts it in the "pre-order" category for me. According to responses by UFG reps in the PS blog comments, they've seriously addressed the loading time issue that plagued MNR.

That was my biggest complaint with MNR. I thought the game was fun and challenging. I didn't like that it 20 minutes from turning on my PS3 to being able to race. So I didn't play it much at all after the first month or so of owning it.

PSN ID: Seldom_Seen
post #20 of 22 Old 03-22-2012, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeldomSeen31 View Post

That was my biggest complaint with MNR. I thought the game was fun and challenging. I didn't like that it 20 minutes from turning on my PS3 to being able to race. So I didn't play it much at all after the first month or so of owning it.

Having recently put over 100 hours into the highly touted GOTY Mass Effect 2, I can say from experience (I've also put at least as much time into MNR) that complaints about load times for MNR are a bit overblown (in ME2 it takes longer to take the ship's elevator one floor than it would in real life!).

Sure, load times are annoying, but the fact that the load times for LBP2 community levels are at least as long as MNR's ever were (MNR's got patched to reduce them by about 25%), I'm not very hopeful for LBP Karting, though I'm still looking forward to it.

PS regarding the start up time for MNR, the patching greatly reduced that by letting you press X to skip through logos and whatnot.
post #21 of 22 Old 03-23-2012, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

I was actually very pleased to find out UFG (the creators of Modnation Racers) is behind LBP Karting.

Not I. Despite the couple of design issues I had with the LBP games, I still really liked the heart and style of the games.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #22 of 22 Old 03-23-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Not I. Despite the couple of design issues I had with the LBP games, I still really liked the heart and style of the games.

Don't get me wrong. I think Mm has done a great job with LBP. I've bought both installments day one and tons of DLC.

But for a kart racer, I'm much more comfortable with the idea of UFG handling the kart racing physics/controls and the track creation and design tools. (That might have been a challenge for Mm to do from scratch with the current LBP engine.)

From the trailer, it looks like the "heart and style" of LBP will remain intact.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page