Where can I get a working 60GB PS3? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 03-04-2012, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I want backward compatibility I don't wanna have to remember what PS2 games I downloaded and what I have on disk and what not.

Iv been trying to get these refurbished from Game Stop and I am on my 5th one, first wouldn't play disks second one was not put together right and didn't even leave the store and the last couple buzz in my speakers as soon as I connect the HDMI. I have tried different ports different cables and it has to be the PS3.

The idiots there are trying to tell me that 60gig's are to old and that there aren't anymore that work right (but they still sell them) and they don't have an TV with a HDMI port to test them so I just have to keep driving 15 miles away to exchange them

Is there a place or person that can fix one of these or a place to get a good one or should I just give up and get a new one and carry my PS2 and 3 with me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-04-2012, 06:24 PM

Liked: 13
Try amazon.com or eBay
post #3 of 16 Old 03-04-2012, 07:20 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post

I want backward compatibility I don't wanna have to remember what PS2 games I downloaded and what I have on disk and what not.

Iv been trying to get these refurbished from Game Stop and I am on my 5th one, first wouldn't play disks second one was not put together right and didn't even leave the store and the last couple buzz in my speakers as soon as I connect the HDMI. I have tried different ports different cables and it has to be the PS3.

The idiots there are trying to tell me that 60gig's are to old and that there aren't anymore that work right (but they still sell them) and they don't have an TV with a HDMI port to test them so I just have to keep driving 15 miles away to exchange them

Is there a place or person that can fix one of these or a place to get a good one or should I just give up and get a new one and carry my PS2 and 3 with me?

After 5 you'd think you'd get the idea.

Honestly, just recognize that you're purchasing a paperweight. Phat have been dropping like fly's due to heat issues.
post #4 of 16 Old 03-04-2012, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:

You and your pocketbook are much better off sticking with two separate consoles. Judging by my and many others' experiences, those early PS3s were not built to last. PS2s are cheap and small, and those later slim versions seem to be surviving well. Hell, it's not just more reliable to get two separate consoles, but it's also probably a lot cheaper than continual replacement and repair costs on a first-run PS3.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #5 of 16 Old 03-05-2012, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Guess I must be lucky as both my 20 gig Phat PS3's work well and they are used everyday by the kids in the house. One of my 60's died, but got it repaired and still works as well.

Anyways, Kijiji is your best bet. I have seen a few out there.

Thanks and have a good day!

Brian Garner
-----------
XBox Gametag: IceSavior
PS3 Tag: IceSavior
- feel free to add me to your friends list
post #6 of 16 Old 03-05-2012, 08:34 AM

I have a OG 60 gig how much are you willing to pay?
post #7 of 16 Old 03-05-2012, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I'd go ebay/craigslist.. they are definitely still plenty out there working.

My phat OG 60GB is still going strong.. needs a good cleaning to quiet the fan, but no issues so far.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
lol, all you guys talking about your working OG 60 gigs, better keep it quiet, lest they hear you all.

I used to speak fondly of mine working...until it didn't. About a year and a half ago. I was able to re-flow it, get it working and get the data off of it. I don't miss that loud ass fan. That's for sure!
post #9 of 16 Old 03-05-2012, 12:43 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by temeone View Post

I'd go ebay/craigslist.. they are definitely still plenty out there working.

My phat OG 60GB is still going strong.. needs a good cleaning to quiet the fan, but no issues so far.

Bad idea. How do you tell if it's an original with no issues vs. a Refurb unit, or even worse, a unit that was YLOD fixed (which is only temp at best). Good luck!

Too much risk IMO, even since the costs severely dropped.

From the OP story it seems even GS is having issues turning over working, non flawed original units. If you can't trust them, are you going to trust someone dumping their on ebay?
post #10 of 16 Old 03-05-2012, 03:02 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Bad idea. How do you tell if it's an original with no issues vs. a Refurb unit, or even worse, a unit that was YLOD fixed (which is only temp at best). Good luck!

From the OP story it seems even GS is having issues turning over working, non flawed original units. If you can't trust them, are you going to trust someone dumping their on ebay?

I went through 4 60 gig PS3's before I finally traded the last one in for a new slim 120 gig. All the replacement 60 gig PS3's I received from Sony had a white sticker on the side. You can easily remove the sticker so as far as I know, I don't think you would be able to tell if it's an original or a refurb unit.

It definitely is too much risk. All my friends who had the 60 gig all had their units fail. Of the 4 I had, only one lasted over a year. Plus with know way of knowing what you would receive, the OP should just stick to having 2 consoles.
post #11 of 16 Old 03-05-2012, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Yeah exactly

So these really have that many problems? I read that people that had these loved them and kept them and never traded or sold them and that is why they are hard to find. It is also cool they have a super CD drive that would be neat to have.

I was wondering if there was some hobbyist or modder that fixed them? They way the GS employs made it sound is that there refurb factory is S*$&.
post #12 of 16 Old 03-05-2012, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 33
My motor storm bundled PS3 is still working as good as new but it's uses software rather than hardware to playback PS2 games. After buying a PS Vita, I don't think I'd be able to replace the PS3 right away if it breaks. I'll hope new PS3's cost under $200 by the time that happens. It would be nice if it were $200 already.

Have anyone come across unopened boxes of phats? How much would they cost? That could be one option for people who wants something that will last a while.

My Youtube page:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Flickr page:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 16 Old 03-05-2012, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:

Yeah exactly

So these really have that many problems? I read that people that had these loved them and kept them and never traded or sold them and that is why they are hard to find. It is also cool they have a super CD drive that would be neat to have.

I loved mine. I was one of the handful of folks that regularly used the PS2 backwards compatibility. It sucked to lose that.

The problem was that I knew it would be expensive to fix and that any fix would probably just delay the inevitable. They're not hard to find. They're just expensive because there's an elevated demand. It's like buying a disc copy of FF7. There are tens of millions of FF7s in circulation, but they're pricey ($100+) because there's an artificially high demand. Same with 60/20gb PS3s.

Quote:

I was wondering if there was some hobbyist or modder that fixed them? They way the GS employs made it sound is that there refurb factory is S*$&.

You can find someone to fix it, but the question is whether you're willing to pay the money on top of what it cost to buy one, and whether you're willing to risk it dying afterward.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #14 of 16 Old 03-05-2012, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

I loved mine. I was one of the handful of folks that regularly used the PS2 backwards compatibility. It sucked to lose that.

The problem was that I knew it would be expensive to fix and that any fix would probably just delay the inevitable. They're not hard to find. They're just expensive because there's an elevated demand. It's like buying a disc copy of FF7. There are tens of millions of FF7s in circulation, but they're pricey ($100+) because there's an artificially high demand. Same with 60/20gb PS3s.

You can find someone to fix it, but the question is whether you're willing to pay the money on top of what it cost to buy one, and whether you're willing to risk it dying afterward.

The GS ones are only $220 now but they don't work haha id pay $450 for one if it would never break and modded with a bigger HD.
post #15 of 16 Old 03-06-2012, 03:17 AM

Quote:

The GS ones are only $220 now but they don't work haha id pay $450 for one if it would never break and modded with a bigger HD.

I'll sell mine for $500 plus shipping . I'll even send you a video of it playing a game so you know it works!
post #16 of 16 Old 03-06-2012, 02:35 PM

Liked: 10
I actually picked up the 60GB's before they became obsolete and hard to find. Had one originally, got one in trade for an 80GB non-backwards model and got one in trade for some computer work I did.

Been running 3, one in each bedroom. Figured that way it made it easy if anyone wanted to swap between rooms and make sure all our games were going to work especially some of the PS2 games the gf's daughter has that she still wanted to play.

These units have never broke, never had issues with overheating, the fans run strong and I have always cleaned them. Never popped the cases etc. and never a need for repairs of any kind.

If you're interested shoot me a PM. I'd rather sell it direct to someone who knows what they're getting instead of the measly $60 GameStop was quoting for a trade-in store credit!

I ended up going the slim 320GB route myself for the living room for 2 reasons...
  • With my PSN+ membership I ran out of space on my 80GB phat PS3
    Wanted the integrated HDMI-CEC capabilities
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page