New Ps3 owner - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-05-2012, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I decided to pick up the 320 gig Uncharted edition today. I have it hooked up HDMI and set for 3D. I have updated it, downloaded Pain..for the kid and Stardust HD.

Anything else I should do as I noobie? I plan on grabbing MLB the show next week
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-05-2012, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 33
For sure you should start downloading some of the Demos that's already on PSN and as for tomorrow, Motorstorm RC will be a good Demo to download.

My Youtube page:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Flickr page:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 Old 03-05-2012, 09:52 PM

Depends on what type of games or gamer you are. There are some great games on the PS3, either full versions or downloadable from PSN.
I put up some links to reviews so you can view them and decide if they are in line with your tastes in games.

On PSN I can recommend fun games from Pixel Junk like Monsters, Shooter 1 and 2 or Eden. Depending on if you're looking for "different" games some like Flower show a pretty great different side of gaming or depending on how old your son is, something like Plants vs. Zombies may be great. PSN has a ton of good "odd" games that aren't your typical style to pick from.

Full games again depend on your type of gaming from Heavy Rain, Batman Arkham Asylum or City, Uncharted Series to Ratchet and Clank Series or even the Metal Gear games if those are your type. I'm leaving the traditional shooters etc off the list, Modern Warfare or Killzone 3 since those are the more popular ones and I'd assume that you'd know about them. The PS3 has a great selection of games and depending on your tastes you can find great ones with a bit of help from a site like Metacritic.

Finally the new game you may be interested in (since I know I am) is also Journey if it fits your tastes. If you need more suggestions, message me here or on PSN, I'm listed as " bayn_ ". I don't get on too often since of course work and real life gets in the way but I'm sure I can suggest a few more games once you figure out your tastes.

An expert at anything was once a beginner...
Founder of the "F-WAF" group.
" WAF?!? F*** WAF! I put in on this house too you know... " =)
post #4 of 13 Old 03-06-2012, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Heck, just start playing the Uncharted game that came with it and enjoy it. No need to keep spending money to make yourself happy. That said. I don't know if it just comes with Uncharted 3 or 1 & 2 also, but you can pick up 1 & 2 as a bundle if you like to start at the beginning of a story, they're all top-tier games.

A good casual game I really enjoy, and the only one besides Flower (which is awesome, don't let the name throw you off) I've gotten my wife to play is Zen Pinball. It's fun to play each other, and it's one that anyone can play and enjoy if guests come over. Marvel Pinball is by the same company if the Marvel themed tables are more your thing. I like both.

I would start with the incredible backlog of highly reviewed games that are more than a year old and hence cheap, rather than rushing out to spend $60 each on the new releases. Keep in mind that even some highly reviewed games might not be to your liking if it's just not the type of thing that interests you.

I don't know how old your son is, but one of the most fun experiences we had on the PS3 was playing through the original Resistance in co-op mode. You get to cover each other and work together through the whole storyline. There's definitely violence, shooting aliens and such with a gritty realism style of graphics, but I think the language is kept in check since it's set in a 1940's alternate history.

SuperStardust was a good choice for the 3D. It looks awesome. It does get my eyes tired, but I think it's just because it's so intense that I don't blink

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-06-2012, 10:34 AM

Grab PS3 Media server. Great for streaming photos, music, and videos. Its free, but if after a couple of months you find it useful throw them a paypal donation.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-06-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I second the suggestion of picking up the Uncharted 1/2 dual pack before playing Uncharted 3.

Demos are your best friend. A lot of great games have been released in the past 3-4 years, and a lot of the older ones can be had for cheap. Your biggest problem will be time, so figure out what you like most and prioritize.

If you have family, I do recommend checking out LittleBigPlanet 2, which I believe can be played in 3D (I don't personally have a 3D set up). The special edition, that includes a lot of DLC that was released for it, is <$40.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-06-2012, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Tons and tons of demos on PSN. Just start queuing them up.

infamous, Uncharted, LBP, Motorstorm, Gran Turismo, etc. Lots of franchises to try. Also Plus has been a really good deal lately, so it might be a good way to get exposed to a little of everything.

DC Universe Online is free and much fun, even my six year old boy loves it. Free Realms is also free to play, but I have not spent much time with it.

Also, Journey comes out today.

Now playing: Destiny, Madden, Diablo 3, PvZ: GW
Recently Finished: Infamous: First Light, Watch Dogs
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #8 of 13 Old 03-06-2012, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips everyone. I had a buddy in college who had one so I was able to play and beat Uncharted 1&2. part 3 was one of the main reasons for buying the system...its not on the 360 lol

I did download PS3 Mediaserver but the problem is everything is under itunes so to my knowledge I can stream those itunes movies correct?
post #9 of 13 Old 03-06-2012, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophion75 View Post

Thanks for the tips everyone. I had a buddy in college who had one so I was able to play and beat Uncharted 1&2. part 3 was one of the main reasons for buying the system...its not on the 360 lol

I did download PS3 Mediaserver but the problem is everything is under itunes so to my knowledge I can stream those itunes movies correct?

I don┬┤t know about movies, but in the 4.00 system update you could see iTunes music information, wich was not available before that update
post #10 of 13 Old 03-06-2012, 02:13 PM

IMO one of the best investments you can make is to upgrade your PSN account to Playstation Plus.

I noticed in your first post you mentioned having a child. Unsure of the age, but PSN+ provides a HUGE variety on a monthly basis for free full games & minis. You'd certainly find something that suits anyone looking to play a game.

Also, you get additional features such as online game saves, automatic updates & discounts in the PS Store for games, movies etc. You also get a complimentary Qore membership to view new monthly episodes.

For the cost of less than a PS3 shelf game $50, you get game after game for free. Granted, they may not be exactly what you're looking for but there's enough variety you should find something you like.
post #11 of 13 Old 04-26-2012, 07:23 PM

Glad to see this thread. I just picked up an open box Uncharted PS3 without the game. Other than being able to play games that aren't the PC, I was wanting to use it as a media device. I was thinking about buying a Roku or Google settop and then I got this. Hows does the ps3 compare?
post #12 of 13 Old 04-26-2012, 10:05 PM

Liked: 93
Install PS3 Media Server on your PC, and stick to h.264/ac3 video inside a m2ts container and you have great local video streaming. It's the only console that gives you Amazon streaming ability. It's Netflix player is perfectly serviceable. It's Hulu player is still a pile of garbage.
post #13 of 13 Old 04-27-2012, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNPalmer View Post

IMO one of the best investments you can make is to upgrade your PSN account to Playstation Plus.

I noticed in your first post you mentioned having a child. Unsure of the age, but PSN+ provides a HUGE variety on a monthly basis for free full games & minis. You'd certainly find something that suits anyone looking to play a game.

Also, you get additional features such as online game saves, automatic updates & discounts in the PS Store for games, movies etc. You also get a complimentary Qore membership to view new monthly episodes.

For the cost of less than a PS3 shelf game $50, you get game after game for free. Granted, they may not be exactly what you're looking for but there's enough variety you should find something you like.

I will second the PS+ recommendation. There have been tons of high quality games from the extremely basic (I must run) to ps1 classics (syphon filter series) to full current gen games (FarCry 2) released free or at a greatly reduced price.

PSN - todrigo
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page