Tales of Graces F - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 03-12-2012, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I am predicting it is going to be the best PS3 game on the planet. I've got my copy preordered. Go pick one up; you won't regret it if you can get over your biases.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 03-12-2012, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Got my copy paid off at Gamestop (bonus DLC code that won't be availible at a later date) and I am currently playing Abyss on my 3DS. (Probably won't start Graces until I finish Abyss again) I almost imported Graces f but I am glad I held off. (Got Vesperia and Xillia already)

Hopefully enough people buy this game and Abyss to send a message to Bamco to bring Xillia to the west. What I have played of Xillia was quite fun and very fast paced. If only I knew enough Japanese to follow the plot, but sadly I only know enough to read the menus...

Xillia's Trailer for those interested.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #3 of 34 Old 03-12-2012, 07:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 208
I rarely play JRPGs, but right now I am halfway through Eternal Sonata and I really enjoy the battle mechanics, plot and graphics for a rather old PS3 title (the storytelling is just so-so however).

Overall I'm clearing through my gaming backlog at a pretty good clip and am interested in this title.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #4 of 34 Old 03-12-2012, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

I rarely play JRPGs, but right now I am halfway through Eternal Sonata and I really enjoy the battle mechanics, plot and graphics for a rather old PS3 title (the storytelling is just so-so however).

Overall I'm clearing through my gaming backlog at a pretty good clip and am interested in this title.

I tried so hard to like that game, but I just couldn't. I guess Valkyria Chronicles and Tales of Vesperia spoiled me. Still have it sitting in my CD binder of games that survived my house fire, so I may revisit it one of these days. But for now my free time is being taken up by Abyss, and my Japanese studies (and Skyrim somehow, that game just won't get old) With Graces f hitting I fear my studies will slip even more than they already have.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #5 of 34 Old 03-12-2012, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
The last Tales game I enjoyed was Tales of Symphonia (on Gamecube). I love the combat in the Tales games, but after Symphonia, the stories just haven't worked for me. How does Graces f hold up story-wise within the series? Better or worse than Vesperia?

I've pretty much given up hope of getting a decent JRPG on consoles ever again. The good ones have all been DS/PSP releases. The problem is that they're so expensive to localize that if they aren't made originally in English, they'll pretty much never catch on. DS and PSP releases are still mostly text based, so it's less of an issue.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #6 of 34 Old 03-12-2012, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Eternal Sonata had its issues but once you got to class level 6 the battle system was all sorts of unadulterated fun, making encore mode worth paying. The story was not really on Tales series level of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

The last Tales game I enjoyed was Tales of Symphonia (on Gamecube). I love the combat in the Tales games, but after Symphonia, the stories just haven't worked for me. How does Graces f hold up story-wise within the series? Better or worse than Vesperia?

That's odd; I thought Tales of The Abyss was hands down a better story than Symphonia. Vesperia 360 was a half-game so things are tricky with it... the PS3 version was the full game and never released in English. I don't consider Legendia a true Tales game since it was made by an unrelated team. Rebirth, Destiny Director's Cut, and Destiny 2, as well as Hearts and Symphonia PS2 were never released in NA and Xillia looks headed down that path though hopefully this game sells and changes Namco's mind
post #7 of 34 Old 03-12-2012, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Velocity View Post

That's odd; I thought Tales of The Abyss was hands down a better story than Symphonia. Vesperia 360 was a half-game so things are tricky with it... the PS3 version was the full game and never released in English. I don't consider Legendia a true Tales game since it was made by an unrelated team. Rebirth, Destiny Director's Cut, and Destiny 2, as well as Hearts and Symphonia PS2 were never released in NA and Xillia looks headed down that path though hopefully this game sells and changes Namco's mind

That's kind of the problem with the series. Because Namco is so bad about releasing complete versions outside of Japan, it rarely gets its fair due. Symphonia IMO is the last game to get the full treatment for consoles outside of NA. If Graces f gets decent treatment, I'll be all over it. Otherwise, it'll be more fuel for the "JRPGs are dead" fire.

post #8 of 34 Old 03-13-2012, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

That's kind of the problem with the series. Because Namco is so bad about releasing complete versions outside of Japan, it rarely gets its fair due. Symphonia IMO is the last game to get the full treatment for consoles outside of NA. If Graces f gets decent treatment, I'll be all over it. Otherwise, it'll be more fuel for the "JRPGs are dead" fire.

Symphonia got a PS2 release in Japan with a crapload of extra content. Abyss was the only game where we actually got the full version right away. (Abyss doesnt truly shine story wise until Luke cuts his hair) Graces f is the DC version so we lucked out there. Just 2 more hours until Gamestop opens, though I wont be going until the afternoon...

With Vesperia we got 90% of the story but we barely got any post game content. (The Team Battle will be opening soon, even though you have already beat Kratos and Dahos in the arena and cleared that near impossible to unlock bonus dungeon) Vesperia is still my favorite game in the series, mainly due to how well developed the whole cast is, but it would be nice to play the complete version in my native language.

And don't forget the DS games, Fans have translated Innocence, and I need to check in on the progress of Hearts' translation team...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #9 of 34 Old 03-13-2012, 09:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

I tried so hard to like that game, but I just couldn't. I guess Valkyria Chronicles and Tales of Vesperia spoiled me. Still have it sitting in my CD binder of games that survived my house fire, so I may revisit it one of these days. But for now my free time is being taken up by Abyss, and my Japanese studies (and Skyrim somehow, that game just won't get old) With Graces f hitting I fear my studies will slip even more than they already have.

Well, since Eternal Sonata is the first JRPG I've played this gen, I haven't been spoiled by other titles and can appreciate it more I suppose.

The difficulty is just right, which is one other thing I like about it. I've been hammered in some fights when not properly prepared, and not just boss fights either.

Lastly, the music is top notch. I play piano and am a huge fan of Chopin as well as other classical composers, so that's the main reason I wanted to play it.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #10 of 34 Old 03-13-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Well, since Eternal Sonata is the first JRPG I've played this gen, I haven't been spoiled by other titles and can appreciate it more I suppose.

The difficulty is just right, which is one other thing I like about it. I've been hammered in some fights when not properly prepared, and not just boss fights either.

Lastly, the music is top notch. I play piano and am a huge fan of Chopin as well as other classical composers, so that's the main reason I wanted to play it.

Yeah, Valkyria Chronicles is a must play. (possibly the best RPG of this generation) And Vesperia is excelent because of it's cast. The story falls flat in the final third (when the supernatural elements take center stage) but the characters carry it through to the end. (and the final boss isnt evil! Actually, very few villains in the game are actually outright evil)

I'll start my backlog once the next gen hits, I have enough to keep me busy for a few years.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #11 of 34 Old 03-13-2012, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Yeah, Valkyria Chronicles is a must play. (possibly the best RPG of this generation) And Vesperia is excelent because of it's cast. The story falls flat in the final third (when the supernatural elements take center stage) but the characters carry it through to the end. (and the final boss isnt evil! Actually, very few villains in the game are actually outright evil)

I'll start my backlog once the next gen hits, I have enough to keep me busy for a few years.

the last boss from Abyss wasn't evil either, though his "plan" was bat **** insane.
post #12 of 34 Old 03-13-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the last boss from Abyss wasn't evil either, though his "plan" was bat **** insane.

Same for Vesperia, though his motive was easily understood. I'm replaying Abyss for the first time in 4 years so I am foggy on the endgame details.

On the plus side, I got my copy! My GS had 8 copies that I could see. Redeaming my code shortly.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #13 of 34 Old 03-13-2012, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I loved Valkyria Chronicles, but the demo of Eternal Sonata didn't make me want to buy it. (I still have a copy of Resonance of Fate in my backlog.) I'll be interested to see how Tales of Graces does, because I'd definitely like to see more Japanese games localized, if only to provide more variety in the marketplace. Right now I'm playing Catherine, and while I don't know how much I like it, I'm fascinated because it is so radically unlike any American game I've ever played.
post #14 of 34 Old 03-13-2012, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^The Japanese games industry is in a really interesting place right now. Most Japanese studios have become "niche" studios and do really interesting, unusual stuff. What used to be (in the NES, SNES, PS1 era) dismissed as the general strangeness of all games is now the specific strangeness of Japanese games. Where JRPGs were mainstream not too long ago, most of us now have to go out of our way to hunt them down now. And now you can't talk about games like Bayonetta without also alluding to its "bizarre-ness." But, really, it's no more bizarre than Japanese games have always been. It's just that Japanese games (with the exception of Nintendo's titles) are now niche games instead of mainstream.

I look forward to seeing how this game is received. I'd love nothing more than to see JRPGs return to the limelight.

And as for Catherine, I really liked that game. One of my favorites from last year.

post #15 of 34 Old 03-13-2012, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I must say, so far this is quite different from any Tales game yet. (2:20 time so far) The world map is set up like Star Ocean, everything is connected by paths that you explore. The combat is also very different, not sure if I like it or not, I need to spend some more time with it and get more abilities.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #16 of 34 Old 03-13-2012, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Got my copy with the Gamestop exclusive costumes. I will be playing the hell out of this game once I finish my first run of Mass Effect 3.

Long live TALES!
post #17 of 34 Old 03-13-2012, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I have yet to get a traditional arte. Everything so far has been tied to the basic attack command and I havent been able to control when I used them completly. (I know what triggers them but it is always at a set point in a combo) Then there is the cooldown and fluctuating combo guage that determines how many hits you get. (along with the much greater need for blocking and evasive actions) this is very different from any other Tales game...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #18 of 34 Old 03-13-2012, 06:41 PM

When you say the world map is like Star Ocea, do you mean typical Tales/Star Ocean world maps (really classic JRPG world maps), or like FFX/Star Ocean 4 where the world map isn't much of a world map but detailed locations you have to go through?

I didn't quite get a feel for the combat system, except doing Tempest Strike with the basic attack button. I wonder if it's simplified this way because of the lack of face buttons on the Wii? Yes, I'm aware of the classic controller, but that's OPTIONAL, and I guess this game had to be made with waggle restrictions in mind. Considering this is a port... I wonder if this is why....
post #19 of 34 Old 03-13-2012, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Crimson View Post

When you say the world map is like Star Ocea, do you mean typical Tales/Star Ocean world maps (really classic JRPG world maps), or like FFX/Star Ocean 4 where the world map isn't much of a world map but detailed locations you have to go through?

I didn't quite get a feel for the combat system, except doing Tempest Strike with the basic attack button. I wonder if it's simplified this way because of the lack of face buttons on the Wii? Yes, I'm aware of the classic controller, but that's OPTIONAL, and I guess this game had to be made with waggle restrictions in mind. Considering this is a port... I wonder if this is why....

SO4 / FFX style. They branch out a bit from cities, but are quite linear otherwise. If it wasn't so linear and more open like SO4, then I would actually be quite pleased with it. It is closer to FFXIII in terms of exploring the paths. I also feels similar to Pokemon routes in a way.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #20 of 34 Old 03-13-2012, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Just got to the time jump, normal artes are back, but they also combo just like normal attacks from what I can tell. Seems interesting...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #21 of 34 Old 03-14-2012, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Minor spoilers but very funny.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
At some point the group gets eaten by a large beast. Lets just say the debate on which end they should exit from is quite funny.

Even though I dislike the battle system I am enjoying the game so far.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #22 of 34 Old 03-15-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Just saw this thread. Loved Vesperia, married Valkyria. Will likely pick this up after I'm done with ME3 since I obviously missed out on preorder goodness.
post #23 of 34 Old 03-15-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Zath View Post

Just saw this thread. Loved Vesperia, married Valkyria. Will likely pick this up after I'm done with ME3 since I obviously missed out on preorder goodness.

Better hurry, while not as limited as Abyss 3DS it is probably going to be hard to find in the coming weeks.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #24 of 34 Old 03-15-2012, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, i'm a few hours in. If not for the sub-par voice acting, i'd say this game is already on pace to be top notch. The battle system took some time to get used to but I'm really enjoying it. Bosses on Evil difficulty are... EVIL.
post #25 of 34 Old 03-15-2012, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, i'm a few hours in. If not for the sub-par voice acting, i'd say this game is already on pace to be top notch. The battle system took some time to get used to but I'm really enjoying it. Bosses on Evil difficulty are... EVIL.

Queen Slime will destroy you, even on normal. (took me an all divide to survive the reproducing gang rape on normal) I'm starting to get more cc finally and the battle system is finally getting interesting, but still too simplified.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #26 of 34 Old 03-17-2012, 12:42 AM

Blame the Wii for that. @_@

I'm so anxious to start this game, so badly that I find myself wishing Mass Effect 3 would end. XD

Gotta be one hell of a Tales fan to wanna end a killer app for a niche title.
post #27 of 34 Old 03-17-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

This game is more about timing than anything. Dodge and counter correctly and you will rape. (since it restores CC) the only problem is that it is too hard to counter large mobs due to the lack of control. Flying enemies also prove hard to hit thanks to the controls (one flying boss made me very angry as I hit nothing but air 70% of the time.)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #28 of 34 Old 03-18-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I haven't played this or any of the Tales games, so can anyone explain what the combat is like. Is it like FFX where it's true turn-based and time stops when each character's turn comes and you choose commands, is it constant action like FFXII where it keeps moving but pauses when entering a command, or is it like FFXIII where it's just constant non-stop action?
post #29 of 34 Old 03-18-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

I haven't played this or any of the Tales games, so can anyone explain what the combat is like. Is it like FFX where it's true turn-based and time stops when each character's turn comes and you choose commands, is it constant action like FFXII where it keeps moving but pauses when entering a command, or is it like FFXIII where it's just constant non-stop action?

Its more like a fighting game. Previous Tales were closer to this than Graces but it is still more about combos and action than anything.

Check youtube for some gameplay clips to get an idea of how it plays. (I posted a few near the first post)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #30 of 34 Old 03-18-2012, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

It's not really like any FF.

Tales series fighting tends to have a few staples, a few old, a few new. It's to an extent similar to a fighting game, but the difference is there is less depth in the melee offense, which is replaced by RPG staples.

- Linear Motion Battle System - you're confined to an imaginary 2 dimensions - a straight line between yourself and the enemy.
- Multi-Line - instroduced in Symphonia, you can now switch targets to get into a different 2D line of motion on a 3D battlefield.
- Free run - introduced in Abyss, it basically lets you move around the 3D battlefield freely when holding a button, instead of a straight line between yourself and the enemy. You could never attack until you switched back to linear motion mode, but it's been aggressively neutered in this game to balance things out a bit. Sidestepping is much more effective.
- Shortcut buttons - (I haven't messed with shortcuts in ToG:F - it may not have them but it may) - let's you map a different character's skill or "magic" to your controller for more finesse.
- Guard button - reduces damage normally by around %80+ and opens up offensive opportunities
- Backstep - while guarding, you can move to dodge. In this game there is also side step and forward dash during guarding, which opens up opportunities.
- Attack button - just regular attacks. In this game these have been replaced by Artes-style which makes the combat flow a bit less monotonously
- Special Attack button - either magic casting or super moves. In this game these have been replaced by Burst Style.
- Overlimit - different tales games have different triggers, but it basically opens up different aspects of the game. In this game it is called Eleth Burst and lets you chain together countless attacks.
- Hi-ougis - super ultra powerful attacks that have specific requirements (overlimit normally being one of them) to pull off, but are otherwise awesome displays of awesomeness. Not so awesome when a boss characters busts it out on you.. though.
- Aerial attacks - juggling/combos
- Moon Selector - Mid-battle, switch the controlled character

Now all of the above seems pretty basic, but where tales gets really fun is the fact that it's not 1 on 1, it is, like most RPGs, 4 on x so you can really strategize the CPU's actions to benefit you. You can make them deal with other enemies, or have them cast spells on your target to open up really long-hit combo attacks. Getting long combos is really the name of the game. Tales games are fun.
Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page