Deadly Premonition coming to PS3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-13-2012, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Speaking of quirky Japanese games (as we were in the Tales of Graces thread), Deadly Premonition is being remastered for the PS3. This was previously an XBox exclusive in North America, at the budget price of $20; the PS3 version, titled Red Seed Profile, was released only in Japan and cost $80 to import. It got an extremely polarized reaction; most reviewers hated it, but it became a cult favorite of sorts.

I'm looking forward to checking it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-13-2012, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Everything I saw of it looked awful. I guess more games is good though.

Now playing: Destiny, Madden, Diablo 3, PvZ: GW
Recently Finished: Infamous: First Light, Watch Dogs
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #3 of 12 Old 03-13-2012, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

From the Destructoid review:

Quote:
Deadly Premonition is beautiful. No, not graphically. Graphically it's atrocious. It's a beautiful trainwreck, and it's well aware of the fact. Despite this game being quite like everything ever made, there's nothing quite like the game itself. There is absolutely nothing in this industry that can compare to how weird and wonderful the whole experience is. Judged as a piece of entertainment, as a game that consistently surprises and amazes and leaves jaws hanging, I have no choice but to say that Deadly Premonition goes above and beyond. This game is so bad, it's not just become good. It's pretty close to perfect.

I'm intrigued.
post #4 of 12 Old 03-14-2012, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

Everything I saw of it looked awful. I guess more games is good though.

i'd rather see low volume, high quality. but it seems what we get is the opposite and some people are happy with that. i hope this mindset only accounts for the minority of gamers.

500 gigs FTW.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-14-2012, 01:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have it for the xbox and the game is creepy!

XBL GTÂ vFLOODv
post #6 of 12 Old 03-14-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

i'd rather see low volume, high quality. but it seems what we get is the opposite and some people are happy with that. i hope this mindset only accounts for the minority of gamers.

The game is already created, you would rather have no access to it?

Now playing: Destiny, Madden, Diablo 3, PvZ: GW
Recently Finished: Infamous: First Light, Watch Dogs
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #7 of 12 Old 03-14-2012, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i beat the game on the 360 really enjoyed it its kinda like alan wake but a diferent story. small town weird things going on the last boss was really cool.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-16-2012, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The PS3 version, due in Q1 2013, will be a director's cut:
Quote:
Deadly Premonition was the ultimate “love it or hate it” game back in 2010, to the extent that it currently holds a Guinness World Record for “Most Critically Polarizing Survival-Horror Game, and the game continues to see the tremendous support from fans all over the world. On that note, we really took into consideration feedback from our loyal fan base and are thrilled to announce Deadly Premonition: The Director’s Cut.

Deadly Premonition: The Director’s Cut focuses on the story of FBI special agent Francis York Morgan as he investigates the murder of a young woman in the town of Greenvale. In this small town, players have to solve a murder mystery and survive against the killer and supernatural creatures that have taken residence. Along with the original story and gameplay, there are some great new features, including HD graphics, an updated control system, a brand new scenario from the game’s director, Hidetaka “Swery” Suehiro, and DLC to keep the mystery going once you complete the main campaign.

Deadly Premonition: The Director’s Cut is both a love letter to fans that supported the game and a great update for new players. With the enhancements and new content, the team is confident that old players will re-experience Deadly Premonition the way it was intended to be and that new players will discover a narrative experience unlike any other game.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-24-2013, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

New trailer:
post #10 of 12 Old 05-21-2013, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Picked this up recently and I'm still not sure what to think of it. The graphics and game mechanics are subpar by any standard, but the bizarre WTF storytelling and crazy musical juxtapositions are strangely compelling. I guess I'll have to reserve judgment until I finish it.

- Jer
post #11 of 12 Old 06-01-2013, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Finally finished the game after 35 hours or so. I wasn't sure what to think at first, but after pressing through the first few questionable hours, the game really got its hooks into me and won me over.

To be clear, Deadly Premonition is not a great piece of software. The graphics often look like a PS2 budget title, the frame rate stinks, the sound effects are bad, and the driving and shooting mechanics are very sloppy. But if you can set those technical issues aside, the wonderfully bizarre story, strange cast of characters, and excellent soundtrack really suck you in and reward your persistence. And after a while, the technical shortcomings almost start to complement the strangeness of the game, rather than detract from it.

If you like quirky, unique games, then you should definitely experience this one.

- Jer
post #12 of 12 Old 12-31-2013, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I finally worked far enough through my backlog to get to this game, and enjoyed it a lot. As previously noted, the game is technically very crude; apparently it started life as a PS2 game, and it definitely shows. But I figured I'd say a bit about what the game is like once you go beneath the surface:

It's very much a homage to Twin Peaks: eccentric FBI agent comes to small logging town to investigate the murder of a young woman that resembles other murders elsewhere. To that it adds a Japanese-horror element, with the protagonist switching back and forth between our world and an other-worldly dimension filled with zombies. But instead of being a strictly linear game like Resident Evil 4, the game also contains sections of open-world gameplay. The town has more than twenty named characters, each with a distinct personality, who give out fifty side missions. The missions are often trivial, but I was impressed by how fully realized the town is. The missions are only available under specific circumstances, and the location of the NPCs change with the time of day and the weather; you can actually watch them drive between home and work. You drive a car with working windshield wipers and which requires maintenance and regular refills of gas.

I was constantly surprised by the game. Early on, it was the long monologues the protagonist engages in while driving, reminiscing movies from the 80s ("You say Fred Ward, I say Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins"). In the middle of the game, it was conversations in which the protagonist and some NPCs talked about their horrifyingly traumatic childhoods. Toward the end, it was the sheer bizarreness of the boss fights.

The combat is completely uninteresting, but an incredible amount of attention went into this game; there are websites devoted to detailing all the easter eggs and references to be found. If you are ever looking for a game that's not the same old thing, this is one to check out.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page