Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 40 Old 03-15-2012, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

It's amazing that it's been almost 10 years since the release of the original Ratchet & Clank on PlayStation 2. A lot has changed since 2002, but your loyalty to our furry Lombax and his faithful robot companion has endured. As we reach the 10th Anniversary of Ratchet & Clank, we wanted to commemorate the achievements of the Ratchet & Clank saga.

Today, we're delighted to announce the Ratchet & Clank 10th Anniversary Celebration, which also simultaneously addresses the biggest current request from our fans: The Ratchet & Clank Collection. This will contain Ratchet & Clank, Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando, and Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal - all remastered by Idol Minds, working closely with our team at Insomniac Games. In addition to a full 1080p HD remaster (720p stereoscopic 3D support) of all three games and the inclusion of three Platinum Trophies, we're happy to confirm that the online competitive multiplayer from Up Your Arsenal will be included. Now you can check out the acclaimed multiplayer mode that many of you didn't get to experience the first time on PS2.

The collection will release this fall in North America. I know it's a little bit later than the Spring European release, but it's because we have something very special planned for our North American fans to celebrate the 10th anniversary, and we'll share all the details very soon.

We're so excited that PlayStation has worked to give our original Ratchet & Clank PS2 adventures the HD remaster treatment they deserve. Stay tuned in the coming months for more on the Ratchet & Clank 10th Anniversary Celebration, as well as more details, screenshots and footage as we near the release of the Ratchet & Clank Collection.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/...ayer-included/

Spring release in EU, fall for NA. Looks like I'll be importing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 03-15-2012, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I'll import, I can't wait.

Now playing: Madden, Diablo 3, First Light, PvZ: GW
Recently Finished: Watch Dogs
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #3 of 40 Old 03-15-2012, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
My guess is that the NA release will also include one or both the PSP games.
post #4 of 40 Old 03-15-2012, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 93
The PSP games will probably be their own collection, like Chains of Olympus/Ghost of Sparta. If they had all 5 on one disc I wouldn't complain though.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #5 of 40 Old 03-15-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Humm, they are planning something bigger for NA to coincide with 10 year anniversary. They claimed a bonus. Maybe a demo of a new game on the disc I would guess.

post #6 of 40 Old 03-15-2012, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

While I don't expect a fourth game to be the cause of the US release delay, though that would be nice, I just hope it's not something silly like skins/themes/avatars in celebration of the 10th anniversary of R&C. In other words, it'd better be real good to keep me from importing.
post #7 of 40 Old 03-15-2012, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've been following the comments in the PS blog post, and from the responses of someone apparently representing Insomniac, we know that EU will eventually get whatever NA gets, and what NA gets will probably take the form of a pre-order bonus. According to the representative John Stevenson:

Quote:

You will definitely want to pre-order if you’re in North America :-)

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/...comment-700032
post #8 of 40 Old 03-21-2012, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'll probably get this anyway, but I'm really disappointed that Deadlocked isn't part of this. That was the first PS2 game I got from the series & by far my favorite as it had the most detailed combat controls more akin to a regular FPS left/right stick setup with full camera control than most of the others. Loved playing Deadlocked...

PS3 ID: Mav_26_
post #9 of 40 Old 03-21-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I pre-ordered this morning. Might be my most anticipated release this year.

post #10 of 40 Old 03-21-2012, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Wish, they'd add trophy support to Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction (I know, not going to happen), but it might give me the extra motivation to dust it off and experience what's been called a great game.
post #11 of 40 Old 03-22-2012, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Yah, I've got a few games like that where I heard were great, but w/o trophy support just haven't motivated myself to play through them.

Tools of Destruction was one of our first PS3 games so I probably played through it 5 or 6 times at least. Lots of fun & I'd replay it for kicks when I was just in the mood to shoot things. My fave of the "next gen" Ratchet & Clanks FWIW...

It's not a real long game IIRC, you could likely play through it pretty quick if you want.

PS3 ID: Mav_26_
post #12 of 40 Old 03-22-2012, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I think I will at some point but like others no doubt, I have a backlog of games waiting!

The genre isn't typically what I play but I got a promo copy free years ago and played a few levels and liked it but then got too busy.

I also got Little Big Planet free as part of PSN Welcome Back and I didn't think that I would have much interest in it but I ended up enjoying it quite a bit.
post #13 of 40 Old 07-18-2012, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 440
The release date is updated to August 28, and Amazon still has this game on pre-order for $30.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 40 Old 07-18-2012, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I think they just lowered the price because they gave up on the Deadlocked voucher.

post #15 of 40 Old 07-18-2012, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

I think they just lowered the price because they gave up on the Deadlocked voucher.

$29.99 is the official price as announced in the PS blog the other day. There 's really no special pre-order bonus as promised for the reason NA had to wait three months, though every game ships with an early demo for the Sly 4 game. The $30 price is nice, but I'm pretty disappointed there was no pre-order bonus.
post #16 of 40 Old 08-28-2012, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Today is the day this collection drops. I think I've already played and beaten all 3 games back in the PS2 days, but I'm not remembering much about each individually.

Anyone else playing this collection? Are you starting with the first and working through the games in order, or selecting a favorite / unplayed one?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 40 Old 08-28-2012, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Today is the day this collection drops. I think I've already played and beaten all 3 games back in the PS2 days, but I'm not remembering much about each individually.
Anyone else playing this collection? Are you starting with the first and working through the games in order, or selecting a favorite / unplayed one?

I never played these on the PS2. In fact when I got my PS3 in Nov 07 (my first game console as an adult), the first real game I got for it was Tools of Destruction. I immediately looked into getting a PS2 just so I could go back and play the earlier games. I ultimately decided against it as I had barely scratched the surface of what I wanted to play on the PS3.

When the HD collections for other games started releasing (GoW, PoP, Sly, etc.), I eagerly awaited an announcement for an R&C collection, and at last the day has arrived! (Well, sort of.) Once my package arrives from Amazon later this week, I'll definitely start with the first one and play them in order.
post #18 of 40 Old 08-28-2012, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 187
I got this from Amazon today. I'm going to start out with the first and work my way up. I know I've beaten the first 2, but for some reason I don' even remember playing the 3rd.

Also of note is that all the promo stuff for the collection states that it is 1080p but my copy is 720p only (don't have a 3D TV). Forcing 1080p by unchecking 720p and 1080i in the Display Settings menu of the PS3 just results in a lower resolution uprezzed to 1080p. Haven't they figured this out by now? If you're going to market it as such, at the very least make sure it works!

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo

post #19 of 40 Old 08-28-2012, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Well that's pretty crappy. If my 60GB hadn't croaked, I could just play my PS2 copies up rezzed. Waiting to hear a reason to rebuy these, because they are some of my favorite games ever.
post #20 of 40 Old 08-28-2012, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

It honestly doesn't look bad at 720p. Definitely dated, but it does a lot better than the PS2 games upscaled save for the cutscenes. Actual gameplay looks great and runs at a silky smooth 60fps. Even at 720p, $30 for some of the funnest games ever made (IMO) is worth it.

post #21 of 40 Old 08-30-2012, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My copy has a Redeem code slip but no instruction booklet, is that true for anyone else?
post #22 of 40 Old 08-30-2012, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mine was the same way. There is an option to install a digital manual from the PS3 though.

post #23 of 40 Old 09-03-2012, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post

It honestly doesn't look bad at 720p. Definitely dated, but it does a lot better than the PS2 games upscaled save for the cutscenes. Actual gameplay looks great and runs at a silky smooth 60fps. Even at 720p, $30 for some of the funnest games ever made (IMO) is worth it.

Having only played the first (and oldest) of the three games in the collection so far, I'm pleasantly surprised with the graphics quality. I had read in other gaming forums about graphical and gameplay glitches, but several hours into this, I've only noticed one very minor instance where Big Al was missing a part of his tongue. Regarding the cutscenes, I actually found the ones in the highly regarded Sly series to be worse.

I've played the four PS3 R&C games multiple times, but never the PS2 ones, so some of the gameplay differences are a bit challenging for me. For instance, the game doesn't pause when you pull up the quick select menu, so instead of rushing into a group of enemies Rambo-style, I have to have a strategy and the right weapon pre-selected. I also don't like how you can't move Ratchet while throwing the wrench. But most of all, I seriously miss staffing, though I hear it's available in Going Commando and Up Your Arsenal.

Ratchet's voice is taking some getting used to as well.
post #24 of 40 Old 09-03-2012, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm also a couple hours in on the first R&C, and pleased with how this turned out.

The cut-scenes are presented in OAR - thank you devs! There's some minor clipping during in-game cinematics, especially around Ratchet's eyes, but this is very nit-picky. Sound is now in 7.1 and the audio positioning is great, but the up-sampling is somewhat harsh. Playing on a good sound system, much of the audio samples sound like low-res mp3 files. I had forgotten about the nice balance of difficulty (hover-board race!) because the modern R&C games are pretty easy. These PS2 games weren't hard, but deaths and restarting from checkpoints (!) happen enough to make them interesting. The first game also seems to be better looking the further I get into it. Every time I open a new planet and step of out the ship for the first time to survey the landscape, there's an "ooohh" moment, and I briefly forget I'm playing a remastered 11 year-old game! It's good these HD remasters are keeping character-based platform games alive.

Speaking of platform games, the Sly demo is amazingly short! It took me longer to figure out the X-jump O-grab/land mechanic than it did to run the entire route. But it runs so smooth, and looks exactly like the old Sly games with a fresh coat of paint, which is a good thing. And the cross-play with Vita keeps this on locked on my pre-order list.

post #25 of 40 Old 09-03-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I had never played the first R&C game so my expectations were somewhat low. I was pleasantly surprised to see how many of the R&C staples were already present and so well programmed in this first entry. The planet hopping, hover-racing, spaceship combat and pleothora of weapons were all pleasantly familiar yet new since I'd never experienced this particular adventure. Controlling Ratchet seemed a little stiffer than the later games at first but it didn't take me to long to adapt. The rapport between Ratchet and Clank is a little more adversarial here, as its clear the developers were still figuring this series out but the depth of gameplay variety of locations and size of the levels puts most modern games to same. Graphically the first game looks really nice (I briefly checked the other two games and as expected each looks better than the last and are nice upgrades from their PS2 originals - really looking forward to revisiting those). The 3D mode is a little disappointing as the sense of depth is moderate at best and there are no instances of pop out of the screen even though there are plenty of opportunities for it. It would have also been nice if Deadlocked or some of the PSP games had been included but for $29.99 this is still a fantastic value.
post #26 of 40 Old 09-03-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

I was pleasantly surprised to see how many of the R&C staples were already present and so well programmed in this first entry. The planet hopping, hover-racing, spaceship combat and pleothora of weapons were all pleasantly familiar yet new since I'd never experienced this particular adventure.

I thought the same thing, especially after finishing a sequence playing as Clank during which I controlled some mini-robots like Clank uses the Zoni in the PS3 games.
post #27 of 40 Old 09-03-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

One more very minor observation re: first R&C remaster... kinda stingy on the trophies, no? There were places I was sure to get one, like a boss battle or whatnot, and nothing. Then I would get a trophy for a random thing, like getting a certain weapon.

I also forgot how tricky the gold bolts are. I'm pretty sure I never collected them all on the original, so I'm guessing it's something to do once all the upgrades are acquired.

This game killed my entire Labor Day - fun! biggrin.gif

post #28 of 40 Old 09-03-2012, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

One more very minor observation re: first R&C remaster... kinda stingy on the trophies, no? There were places I was sure to get one, like a boss battle or whatnot, and nothing. Then I would get a trophy for a random thing, like getting a certain weapon.
I also forgot how tricky the gold bolts are. I'm pretty sure I never collected them all on the original, so I'm guessing it's something to do once all the upgrades are acquired.
This game killed my entire Labor Day - fun! biggrin.gif

There are 35 trophies in the game and most of them are skill point related. I had a few today where as soon as I unlocked a skill point, the trophy dinged.
I finally stopped to eat dinner after a 7-hour session with this game, and I may go back for more before bedtime. Haven't done that in a while.
I'm getting a bit frustrated, though, with the fact that when you die, you go back, sometimes quite far, to the last checkpoint, but the ammo you've used isn't restored.
There was one planet where I think I actually spent more bolts on ammo than I collected from bolt crates and killing enemies.
This is by far the toughest R&C game I've ever played.
post #29 of 40 Old 09-04-2012, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

Tell me about it. I think the lack of a strafe move is really hurting my enjoyment of the first game. There are a few sections I got stuck on so far that remind me of why I could only play in spurts when I was younger. For the most part the game is exceptional considering its age, but a few areas still wreak of poor design.

post #30 of 40 Old 09-05-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

Parts of the third game are surprisingly difficult. And it's for the same reason you've discovered: the checkpoints can be brutal. If you haven't played that one before, just wait. wink.gif

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page