Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 36 Old 03-23-2012, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.21JiggaWatts View Post

What was the most frustrating game you've ever played and why? Preferably a non online game, but state whatever you'd like.

Ps2 Stuntman

Lack of ability to drive the entire course to know what to expect, thus having to constantly redo the same thing over and over and over. The Director constantly yelling at me.

Sounds like Demon Souls.

My entry is Fifa series. There is a mental state called Fifa rage. You are owning your opponent with some 20 shots at goal, 12 on target, none go in. Then you want to pass to a certain player and it goes another direction, gets intercepted, and your opponent kicks it in the back of the net from 30 yards in the 88th minute,which was 1 of his 3 shots at goal the entire game. You lose 1-0.

"I need it. Buy it. Store it." - Tony Stark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 03-23-2012, 01:31 PM

Liked: 10
The Ninja Gaiden series on NES. Just insanely difficult. You've got the enemies respawning by scrolling the screen by a hair. Always getting knocked into pits, all those birds flying at you, scarcity of ammo for special weapons. The worst though is when you die fighting the final boss you had to go all the way back to the beginning of the multi-part stage. Ninja Gaiden 3 actually had the balls to only give you three continues. What Sadist at Tecmo came up with that one?

Ghosts and Goblins for NES is another one, you'd go through the maddeningly difficult game and when you beat the last boss, you were told it was an "illusion" and had to go through the entire game again to fight the "real" boss. And there were no saves or passwords so you had to do it all in one sitting.

The original Mega Man gets an honorable mention as well. Most of the game was fine, but it all came crashing down when you got to the part where you had to fight the rock monster (assuming you didn't use the rapid pause/unpause cheat) This was before the series introduced energy restore tanks so you only had one life bar to kill the thing.

And in Castlevania, the Grim Reaper boss fight was pretty much impossible.
post #33 of 36 Old 03-23-2012, 11:16 PM

Liked: 11
In recent memory, God of War 2 on Titan difficulty had to be one of the most frustrating, yet rewarding, games for me. I spent 4 days on the Theseus boss fight, and when I finally beat him and Kratos was slamming a door on his head, it felt so rewarding. The other part in that game was the endurance hallway before Clotho- took me 2 weeks. Looking back I feel pride that I was able to do it, but not sure I want to try again.

The last mission on Driver for the PS1 was nearly impossible for me. I made it right to the doorstep of where I needed to be, but ended up dying. I tried again many, many times, but was unable to do it. I ended up using a cheat code for invincibility, finishing the game, and never playing another Driver game again.

My most frustrating game for me was Rush-N-Attack on the C64. The game was badly made, hit detection was awful, bad graphics, etc. My characters knife would be poking out the back of the enemies, but I would still die. I smashed a controller over this stupid game.

Quote:

I always was proud I was able to beat this game. That Grim Reaper fight was hard!
post #34 of 36 Old 03-24-2012, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillG View Post

The Ninja Gaiden series on NES. Just insanely difficult. You've got the enemies respawning by scrolling the screen by a hair. Always getting knocked into pits, all those birds flying at you, scarcity of ammo for special weapons. The worst though is when you die fighting the final boss you had to go all the way back to the beginning of the multi-part stage. Ninja Gaiden 3 actually had the balls to only give you three continues. What Sadist at Tecmo came up with that one?

Ghosts and Goblins for NES is another one, you'd go through the maddeningly difficult game and when you beat the last boss, you were told it was an "illusion" and had to go through the entire game again to fight the "real" boss. And there were no saves or passwords so you had to do it all in one sitting.

The original Mega Man gets an honorable mention as well. Most of the game was fine, but it all came crashing down when you got to the part where you had to fight the rock monster (assuming you didn't use the rapid pause/unpause cheat) This was before the series introduced energy restore tanks so you only had one life bar to kill the thing.

What blows me away is that my younger self actually finished all of these games. Regularly and repeatedly. I can't even come close these days. Definitely makes a case for having just a few games that you play well, rather than a ton of games that you play half-assed.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #35 of 36 Old 03-25-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

What blows me away is that my younger self actually finished all of these games. Regularly and repeatedly. I can't even come close these days. Definitely makes a case for having just a few games that you play well, rather than a ton of games that you play half-assed.

- Same here. I even beat that piece of garbage game Deadly Towers on the NES. What really breaks my heart is that I'm nowhere near as good at schmups as when I was younger. I recently started playing a few older games and realize how poor my reflexes are. Especially when I used to beat 1/2 those games without losing a single life.
post #36 of 36 Old 03-25-2012, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post

- Same here. I even beat that piece of garbage game Deadly Towers on the NES. What really breaks my heart is that I'm nowhere near as good at schmups as when I was younger. I recently started playing a few older games and realize how poor my reflexes are. Especially when I used to beat 1/2 those games without losing a single life.

I've convinced myself it's not because of slowing reflexes. I choose to believe that I don't have the time or patience to spend two hours a day playing the same game every day.

But that doesn't stop me from playing plenty of shmups. And sucking at them.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page