Most frustrating game? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 03-20-2012, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What was the most frustrating game you've ever played and why? Preferably a non online game, but state whatever you'd like.

Ps2 Stuntman

Lack of ability to drive the entire course to know what to expect, thus having to constantly redo the same thing over and over and over. The Director constantly yelling at me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 03-20-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Easy. Although it's kimd of the stock answer, E.T. on the Atari 2600 was extremely frustrating.
post #3 of 36 Old 03-20-2012, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Mine probably is the Madden series. Not so much the game as a whole, but the whole "No F------ Way Game". You know, that one or two times a season where, no matter how good you are at the game, the computer decides there is No F------ Way you winning this game. You drop open passes, fumble at the most inopportune time, miracle int's by the comp, etc ...... this has always got me to controller smashing levels of frustration. I remember reading a year or two back that the developers actually admitted this is programmed in o the game and is not just a myth, I'll try and find the article, soooo frustrating!

PSN: futurecode
post #4 of 36 Old 03-20-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.21JiggaWatts View Post

What was the most frustrating game you've ever played and why? Preferably a non online game, but state whatever you'd like.

There are a lot of different kinds of frustration.

Most frustratingly bad story: toss up between LA Noire and Heavy Rain
Most frustratingly impossible to understand: Riddle of the Sphinx (Atari 2600)
Most frustratingly and unfairly difficult: Top Gun (NES)
Most frustratingly long: Dragon Quest VIII (PS2)

Quote:

Ps2 Stuntman

Lack of ability to drive the entire course to know what to expect, thus having to constantly redo the same thing over and over and over. The Director constantly yelling at me.

I really liked this game. That sort of game design is something I really, really like. That's the same reason why I love the license tests in the GT games.

Though I might add Stuntman to my list as "most frustratingly long load times." Man, those loads were killer.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #5 of 36 Old 03-20-2012, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 78
The new SSX is extremely frustrating, the amount of endless pits that you cannot see coming and even if you know they are coming you fly into them with the slightest bump into geometry.

Now playing: TLoU PS4
Recently Finished: Watch Dogs, Southpark: Stick of Truth, Infamous: SS
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #6 of 36 Old 03-20-2012, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Most frustratingly impossible to understand: Riddle of the Sphinx (Atari 2600).

Lol.

My brother and I had this one. He may have gotten something out of it, but I always ended up dieing on the first level. I still have no idea what exactly the goal was.
post #7 of 36 Old 03-20-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Sonic games, both the originals and current gen incarnations. High-speed precision platforming just isn't my bag.
post #8 of 36 Old 03-20-2012, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Most frustratingly and unfairly difficult: Top Gun (NES

Although really fun especially with a joystick, I strongly agree with you. It wasn't so much the battles that irritated me, it was the fact I could never land the damn plane on the carrier.

Kinda makes me want to whip out Top Gun right now, but I know I'll just feel defeated again.
post #9 of 36 Old 03-20-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Bull View Post

Lol.

My brother and I had this one. He may have gotten something out of it, but I always ended up dieing on the first level. I still have no idea what exactly the goal was.

Yeah, I remember "playing" this all the time, but it really was just me wandering around the desert and not knowing what the hell I was doing. Then I'd die. Then I'd try it again. That went on for years. I'm sure that now in the age of the internet I could finally figure out what you were supposed to do, but 30 years later, I finally don't care.

Quote:

Although really fun especially with a joystick, I strongly agree with you. It wasn't so much the battles that irritated me, it was the fact I could never land the damn plane on the carrier.

Kinda makes me want to whip out Top Gun right now, but I know I'll just feel defeated again.

I had a stick for this game, too. I think I got to the second level once.

post #10 of 36 Old 03-20-2012, 03:15 PM

Liked: 832

TMNT PC port is another, only because they messed it up and you literally can not beat the game due to a jump moved to far to make.
post #11 of 36 Old 03-20-2012, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Old school adventure games. I still have not beaten one of the King's Quests and an old Leisure Suit Larry game. I did finally beat Myst and Riven, but only after resorting to the Internet years later.

Being able to solve a game puzzle by using the Internet is something these punk kids today take for granted. Playing those with no guides or help was a hair pulling experience (although rewarding if/when you finally figured it out).
post #12 of 36 Old 03-20-2012, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Old school adventure games. I still have not beaten one of the King's Quests and an old Leisure Suit Larry game. I did finally beat Myst and Riven, but only after resorting to the Internet years later.

Being able to solve a game puzzle by using the Internet is something these punk kids today take for granted. Playing those with no guides or help was a hair pulling experience (although rewarding if/when you finally figured it out).

I chuckled when I read "punk kids."

Not to get on a tangent but I really hate their expected freebies and trophy for everyone approach. I run into a lot of them on COD, they'll get 10 kills themselves on a better Internet connection, then their killstreaks will get them 30 more free kills, yet they truly believe they got all 40 kills them selves.

One of the most important words a child should be told is ,"No."

Start as early as you can to stop letting them play the game they call "I win."

Despite this being the age of social networking, there are not figurative walls everywhere. You are who you are everywhere. Whether it be face to face, online gaming, or on a forum.

Last night I was playing NASCAR online, my car got a flat and it drove me right into another player. Suddenly all I'm hearing is that I'm just the biggist idiot, idiot, idiot. I would hope he would think better if he were face to face.
post #13 of 36 Old 03-20-2012, 04:08 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:

Last night I was playing NASCAR online, my car got a flat and it drove me right into another player. Suddenly all I'm hearing is that I'm just the biggist idiot, idiot, idiot. I would hope he would think better if he were face to face.

Maybe. But I also believe there's been harsh words and even fist fights in NASCAR over crashes ruining races.

Seems like real life to me!
post #14 of 36 Old 03-20-2012, 04:47 PM

Liked: 11
La Noire and Heavy Rain as "Most frustratingly bad story"?? Ha, perhaps you just don't like these types of games, as their stories are far from the most frustratingly bad. Frustrating, yes, but not bad IMO, and definitely not the worst. Ha.

Have you ever played Dead Island? That game had a frustrating story, whereas it made no sense, and nearly ruined the fun of smashing zombies with electrified katana's.

Overall most frustrating game for me though, was Driver 2. I was stuck on a single chase mission towards the end, and still have yet to finish that game. Lost my memory card a few years back, and hadn't had the will to try to run through that game again.
post #15 of 36 Old 03-20-2012, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:

One of the most important words a child should be told is ,"No."

Start as early as you can to stop letting them play the game they call "I win."

Holy Thread Hijack Batman!! I have to agree with you though.

I call it the Dorito Phenomena. When I was a kid, (that's a LONG time ago!), Nacho Cheese Doritos came out. And *every* now and then, you'd reach in the bag, and there'd be a Dorito with TONS of the Nacho Cheese flavored spice on it. MAN, that was a special Dorito! I savored it!! Nowdays, EVERY dang Dorito in the bag has a ton of the spice on it! They're ALL like that.

...and kids today just get everything! They don't get told no, and they don't appreciate the things they get! (like those tasty Doritos!)

LOL Okay, enough of that, sorry for the hijack!

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

post #16 of 36 Old 03-20-2012, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman7w View Post

Holy Thread Hijack Batman!! I have to agree with you though.

I call it the Dorito Phenomena. When I was a kid, (that's a LONG time ago!), Nacho Cheese Doritos came out. And *every* now and then, you'd reach in the bag, and there'd be a Dorito with TONS of the Nacho Cheese flavored spice on it. MAN, that was a special Dorito! I savored it!! Nowdays, EVERY dang Dorito in the bag has a ton of the spice on it! They're ALL like that.

...and kids today just get everything! They don't get told no, and they don't appreciate the things they get! (like those tasty Doritos!)

LOL Okay, enough of that, sorry for the hijack!

That wasn't a hijack. That was beautiful!
post #17 of 36 Old 03-20-2012, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

[PS2 Stuntman] I really liked this game. That sort of game design is something I really, really like. [...] Though I might add Stuntman to my list as "most frustratingly long load times." Man, those loads were killer.

Agreed on both counts. I think Stuntman was really underrated. Stuntman: Ignition was still enjoyable, but not quite as good.

Quote:

Old school adventure games. I still have not beaten one of the King's Quests and an old Leisure Suit Larry game.

I'm still bitter about Leisure Suit Larry II. I knew exactly what to do at the end of the game, but no combination of words was making it happen. I eventually broke down and called the 1-900 tip line, and it turned out that what I was trying to do was correct, but the game required that I refer to the "hairspray" item from my inventory as "hair tonic" for the command to work. Yes, folks, if you used the actual word from the inventory screen for the item, it didn't work. I think I deserved a refund for that one...

- Jer
post #18 of 36 Old 03-20-2012, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I never met an adventure game I couldn't finish. I'm convinced that the hundreds of hours I dumped into those old adventure games was what made me so good at modern puzzle games (Braid, Limbo, Portal, etc). Stretched those brain cells nice and early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman7w View Post

This one's going into a notebook for safekeeping. And that's not off topic at all. You used to have to work hard for some small payoff in a game. These days, just booting up a new game is enough to ignite your pleasure sensors. No frustration required.

post #19 of 36 Old 03-20-2012, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

This one's going into a notebook for safekeeping. And that's not off topic at all. You used to have to work hard for some small payoff in a game. These days, just booting up a new game is enough to ignite your pleasure sensors. No frustration required.[/quote]

Seems a good time to note the ps3 trophy system, some trophies are only attainable by doing something special, but most can be had by simply playing.

It reminds me of a Chris Rock comment on reality talk shows when someone states " I take care of my kids!" and receives applause...he goes on to say "you're suppose to you dumb..."
post #20 of 36 Old 03-21-2012, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 34
The only adventure games I owned but never able to complete was The Adventures of Willy Beamish for the Sega CD. Frustrations was only part of the reason.
Another was The original pc version of the Journyman Project. never could get that thing to run.
post #21 of 36 Old 03-21-2012, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaines View Post

I'm still bitter about Leisure Suit Larry II. I knew exactly what to do at the end of the game, but no combination of words was making it happen. I eventually broke down and called the 1-900 tip line, and it turned out that what I was trying to do was correct, but the game required that I refer to the "hairspray" item from my inventory as "hair tonic" for the command to work. Yes, folks, if you used the actual word from the inventory screen for the item, it didn't work. I think I deserved a refund for that one...

- Jer

That's the game. I think I got stuck on the airplane IIRC and couldn't figure out how to get off. Never went back to finish it. That was a long time ago. Wish they'd do a monkey island like remake/update to those. The King's Quest games were usually awesome. I would need a keyboard though since you had to type everything.
post #22 of 36 Old 03-21-2012, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Super Mario 2.

You'd be playing along, about half way through the game, nothing really changes in the game but you just suddenly think to yourself, "Ugg, why am I still playing this game?" Then you would turn it off in frustration that your mind wouldn't allow you to play it through to completion.

-Suntan
post #23 of 36 Old 03-21-2012, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Easy answer.

Frequency, and to a lesser extent, Amplitude.

Ive worn out 2 PS2s since the CURRENT gen of systems has been out. I will be playing that game for the rest of my life.
post #24 of 36 Old 03-21-2012, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD MC View Post

Easy answer.

Frequency, and to a lesser extent, Amplitude.

Ive worn out 2 PS2s since the CURRENT gen of systems has been out. I will be playing that game for the rest of my life.

Lag becomes too big of an issue in the later levels. They're utterly unplayable on anything but a CRT. And even then, those games become not fun at a certain point. I'm glad Harmonix figured out a more human difficulty curve for the first two Guitar Hero games.

post #25 of 36 Old 03-21-2012, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I've been playing games since the 2600 and there is NO game that made me more frustrated than Shinobi for the PS2. The game itself wasn't really challenging, but the last boss made me want to throw my controller at the TV. It's the only time I've been so frustrated that I actually was contemplating buying a Game Genie or some other cheat device to beat the game.

What made it worse is that I actually hit the final boss with a killing blow on my 4th try, but the killing blow was over a cliff and the final cinema didn't kick in fast enough... so I died. It literally took me about 50 tries to finally beat him.

I'm not going to lie, I can feel my blood boiling just thinking about him.
post #26 of 36 Old 03-21-2012, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post

I've been playing games since the 2600 and there is NO game that made me more frustrated than Shinobi for the PS2. The game itself wasn't really challenging, but the last boss made me want to throw my controller at the TV. [...] I'm not going to lie, I can feel my blood boiling just thinking about him.

I had a similar experience with that game, but only when I was trying to beat the final boss on Insane difficulty with Joe Musashi, whose sword was weaker. Now THAT was infuriating...

- Jer
post #27 of 36 Old 03-21-2012, 10:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Superman - Atari 2600.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #28 of 36 Old 03-23-2012, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Two games come to mind, both really old: Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and a game called (no joke) "Hacker" ...both on the Commodore 64.

The Hacker game was a text adventure (with some interactive graphics) where you had to hack into a fake computer system. The game booted up to a log-in prompt and left you there with no instructions at all. I guess it was realistic but clearly I was a terrible hacker cause I got no where... literally I think I got maybe one or two screens into the system. You had no idea what to do and no clues. The game might as well been called "guess the secret word". Back then there was no internet - so no cheats, hits, walk-thrus, etc. Thus as far as I was concerned the game was IMPOSSIBLE.

My equipment list is here. Playstation Network ID = jmii ...that's JM roman numeral 2
post #29 of 36 Old 03-23-2012, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMII View Post

Two games come to mind, both really old: Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and a game called (no joke) "Hacker" ...both on the Commodore 64.

The Hacker game was a text adventure (with some interactive graphics) where you had to hack into a fake computer system. The game booted up to a log-in prompt and left you there with no instructions at all. I guess it was realistic but clearly I was a terrible hacker cause I got no where... literally I think I got maybe one or two screens into the system. You had no idea what to do and no clues. The game might as well been called "guess the secret word". Back then there was no internet - so no cheats, hits, walk-thrus, etc. Thus as far as I was concerned the game was IMPOSSIBLE.

I've never heard of hacker, I have to say it sounds very unique and interesting. I need to look that game up!
post #30 of 36 Old 03-23-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Hacker!! Oh God I remember that!! "Guess the Secret Word" !!! Hahahahahahaahah!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMII View Post

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page