ps3 wifi upgrade - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 03-25-2012, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
just wondering has anyone found a tute on hoe to upgrade the wifi hardware of the ps3 fat/slim..

not looking at usb dongels either..

a physical wifi upgrade to 5ghz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-25-2012, 08:44 PM

Liked: 93
You can stop looking, not gonna happen. The only way is if Sony produces a new model PS3 that natively spits out 5ghz N. Even then, chances are remote. Regular 2.4N would likely be the only possible choice, as a simple matter of scale.

What you want is a gigabit ethernet to 5ghz N bridge, or live with what's already present in the PS3.
post #3 of 25 Old 03-25-2012, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

i would of thought someone would of hacked it by now..

similar to the way laptops upgrades are done..
post #4 of 25 Old 03-25-2012, 09:09 PM

You are asking to bolt on unsupported hardware to a closed system. You may as well be asking to upgrade your 1999 Nokia candybar cellphone to LTE, or bolt wifi on to your 30GB iPod Photo.

Again, if you want 5ghz N, your only option is an Ethernet to N bridge device.
post #5 of 25 Old 03-25-2012, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

no i'm not, i'm talking opening up the system and removing the wifi card and upgrading it. I would of assumed the wifi card within the ps3 fat/slim was as you put a bolt in component... which by all means should be replacable..

unless the thing is on a chip on the mobo not that i've pulled apart a ps3 before today

due to the lack rearmount usb there is limited options 5ghz connections...
post #6 of 25 Old 03-25-2012, 09:49 PM

Let's pretend for just a second that the wifi was a separate card. It's not, but we're pretending. You still wouldn't have driver support in the OS to drive anything but the original card.

What you're asking is the same as wanting to drop a GeForce GTX 580 in there, and expecting it to work. And yes, it is exactly like asking to add LTE support to a 13 year old Nokia.
post #7 of 25 Old 03-26-2012, 03:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

lol james bad analogy though point taken..

though the ps3 runs a linux kernal so a i can't see the issue of driver support being to much of an issue in the case, given most wifi cards support linux.. now days..

I would of thought the ps3 would of had something similar to a laptop wifi card to begin with, if it hasn't then it's pointless pursuit..
post #8 of 25 Old 03-26-2012, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

It absolutley can be done. You can make positive changes if you trust in your own power to contol the world around you. Everything is possible. Where there's a will there's a way. If you can dream it, you can do it.

Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other one thing - Abraham Lincoln

I hope these uplifting messages motivate you to continue your quest...

PSN - todrigo
post #9 of 25 Old 03-26-2012, 08:10 AM

Even if you were to succeed in getting the WiFi adapter to boost to a 5Ghz band you would still require a router capable of dual band support. Then you'd have to figure out how to force the PS3 to use the 5Ghz band.

I would think if you could swap out the card you would need an updated driver. The only way to get an updated driver would be to ensure you're running a CFW/MFW that had something like this built-in to support the additional HW.

I see this as a great aspiration but slim chance of making it happen. You're best bet was if you were running a Linux distro on it and you were still on a CFW 3.55 that allowed for the OS partition still.

Heck, I'd forget about the WiFi support and hope for some updated FW that supports some more USB connected HD models... I have several WD Passport drives that the PS3 fails to recognize...
post #10 of 25 Old 03-26-2012, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
wouldnt it still have the speed restriction on a secured wireless network? not sure if thats part of the wifi section or the ps3 itself. if so, then the painstaking process of hardwiring is still the way to go
post #11 of 25 Old 03-26-2012, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

what do you expect when you use linux as a core of an OS..

ext-4 for fat32 is your bain of hard drive format..

you have arse around with it for it to play nice, nice with which ever window OS you play with..

i got the ps3 connected wirelessly and neither see one another on the network without kicking the **** out of pc, laptop or console, you gotta love networking to completely polar opposite os's together don't ya..

ahwell I hope the next rendition of the console supports 5ghz, kind of wondered why they settled on 2.4ghz..

you would of thought they would of learnt by now that it pays to have something so modular so the damn thing can upgraded easily, seem ashame to box the thing in...

my opinon is the ps3 would be a great content browser if they could get the thing to a go between with the cx960..
i hope the ps4 come in an option that has tons of usb connections in the rear and have the damn thing wide enough so it can be rack mounted in a rack..
i havn't looked at 5ghz stuff yet waiting for fois to become avialable, part my network soon to be added will be a 48 port gigabit switch. getting ready for fois and a few cx960's...

i was looking at some disassembly vids recently on youtube looks like they tied the wifi and bt into the same component..

ohwell looks g is the go for the time being..
the n
I do have wifi n though it's only 2.4ghz n..

there no issue wifi login on the ps3, no issues with wpa2 and so forth encryption, I had no issues to me wrt54gl haven't played within on wifi n router yet..
post #12 of 25 Old 03-26-2012, 07:17 PM

are you trying to get more range or trying to get faster?
post #13 of 25 Old 03-27-2012, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

range penatration that was the original aim wired isn't possible as it is a. different room, b. not my house, c. illegal to lay permanent or semi permanent cable..

I was hoping to upgrade the interneal wifi adapter though looking at what's available by other means wasn't a practical cost layout x2..

the 2.4ghz n router i got is piss weak through single brick and double brick walls and the range while connective is very weak at wifi requiring LOS otherwise only goos within the room its in...
post #14 of 25 Old 03-27-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic_sniper28 View Post

range penatration that was the original aim wired isn't possible as it is a. different room, b. not my house, c. illegal to lay permanent or semi permanent cable..

I was hoping to upgrade the interneal wifi adapter though looking at what's available by other means wasn't a practical cost layout x2..

the 2.4ghz n router i got is piss weak through single brick and double brick walls and the range while connective is very weak at wifi requiring LOS otherwise only goos within the room its in...

great option would be to move teh modem and router to the ps3 if possible. that would take teh ps3 out of the frequency equation altogether and give it full speed. connect teh other pc's using the 5ghz.

another option is maybe setting up some access points. i know its still wireless going through bricks but can still help.

i know you are not interested in the usb dongels, but have you tried? i havent needed to use one of the latest dongels so i dont know how well they do or dont work. pretty cheap nowadays and can take it back if it sucks.
post #15 of 25 Old 03-28-2012, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

main issue at the moment is tv is in my bed room and at present and isn't relocatable to lounge room..

the wifi n I have only has inbuilt antennas and has a very short range..

due to LOS issues i can't put it where it is required so it gives better signal retension..

dongels may be an issue with the ps3 not sure if ps3 support dongel use...
post #16 of 25 Old 03-27-2013, 03:12 PM

This is kind of a good point and a bad point;

the wifi in a ps3 is a separated unit, but the unit it is connected to is a board that has the whole communication capabilities for a ps3 (bluetooth and wifi.)

this is the device you would need to attach the wifi card to...
(the bigger, silver cover that is)

i know this is an old thread, i thought people might want to know for future reference.
post #17 of 25 Old 03-27-2013, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

which model is that from bc200bc
post #18 of 25 Old 03-28-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
5ghz has worse penetration and range compared to 2.4ghz, so the so-called upgrade would actually move you in the wrong direction based on your goal.

PS3 not having USB in rear has nothing to do with wifi upgradeability.

There is an upgrade coming though, it's called PS4. smile.gif
post #19 of 25 Old 03-28-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 1451
I feel your pain, brick and wifi do not go well together. But 5ghz won't help. You can try a better router, or pull a wire through the wall, either to hardware the PS3 or set up another access point. Those are your choices.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #20 of 25 Old 03-29-2013, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

i know brick an wifi don't go well especially where it concerns internal antenna's vs external antenna's...

given the ps3 only has 2 usb ports not always a great idea using an external wifi card...
post #21 of 25 Old 03-29-2013, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have you looked at powerline solutions. I recently upgraded my wireless LAN in my house with an asus AC 1750 router (this thing is awesome and expensive but worth it) and some other various devices depending on the machines I was working with. For my ps3 I got a good signal and I was able to at least move it to a wireless N connection over my 2.4ghz ban. What other posters said is true 5ghz is actually worse from a range stand point. I did not find any solution out there to get that ps3 on my 5ghz network. I ended up with one of these

http://compare.ebay.com/like/270921577406?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Sounds like to me with your current constraints your focus should be on powerline options. That would have been my next option but I was at least able to get wireless n over the 2.ghz and really improved streaming.

I did not ever complete my research on powerline options but this might be a good place to start.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_scat_1194444_ln?rh=n%3A1194444%2Ck%3Apowerline+ethernet+adapter&keywords=powerline+ethernet+adapter&ie=UTF8&qid=1352180197&scn=1194444&h=38a4179e13699f473fd73ad2662495ed8b7c2548

Again you may require a router upgrade as well depending on serious or invested you are in the endeavor.

Good luck!
post #22 of 25 Old 03-29-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 1451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagg21 View Post

Have you looked at powerline solutions. I recently upgraded my wireless LAN in my house with an asus AC 1750 router (this thing is awesome and expensive but worth it) and some other various devices depending on the machines I was working with. For my ps3 I got a good signal and I was able to at least move it to a wireless N connection over my 2.4ghz ban. What other posters said is true 5ghz is actually worse from a range stand point. I did not find any solution out there to get that ps3 on my 5ghz network. I ended up with one of these

http://compare.ebay.com/like/270921577406?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Sounds like to me with your current constraints your focus should be on powerline options. That would have been my next option but I was at least able to get wireless n over the 2.ghz and really improved streaming.

I did not ever complete my research on powerline options but this might be a good place to start.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_scat_1194444_ln?rh=n%3A1194444%2Ck%3Apowerline+ethernet+adapter&keywords=powerline+ethernet+adapter&ie=UTF8&qid=1352180197&scn=1194444&h=38a4179e13699f473fd73ad2662495ed8b7c2548

Again you may require a router upgrade as well depending on serious or invested you are in the endeavor.

Good luck!

Powerline can be a little noisy and prone to interference, but so is Wifi. If you can't hardwire, and wifi can't reach, powerline is def better than nothing. Definitely look into it.

Why didnt I think of that? tongue.gif

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #23 of 25 Old 03-29-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic_sniper28 View Post

given the ps3 only has 2 usb ports not always a great idea using an external wifi card...

USB hubs are extremely cheap. But it doesn't matter, because you aren't going to be able to use a USB NIC anyway.
post #24 of 25 Old 03-30-2013, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

yup i know all about powerline sadly the way home is wired for power eop isn't a solution i can use.. unlike the states we still do long daisy-chain power points off of each circuit so eop isn't an option at present,,

front usb gets a bit messy thus is why i was looking for a rear usb option..

thus is why dongles out the front isn't an option to consider
post #25 of 25 Old 04-01-2013, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mystic the device I settled on and linked above simulates a wired connection and connects via ethernet to the back of your p3. PS3 is not capable of wirless usb networking. Not sure what more can be said, if hard wire isnt an option, wireless has brick to contend with and wireline is also out. Maybe using your cell phone as a wireless router (not sure what you have in that arena). Or just find the best wifi ranged router out there and see if it can bull it way through that brick to a better signal. Is it signal strength or mbps you are struggling with.
Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page