Portable gaming is starting to make more sense for guys with wives and kids.... - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 34 Old 03-28-2012, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Life is too short to worry about that ish.

I don't care what anyone thinks of me on a personal level (if you don't believe it, I'll submit as proof that I actually enjoy watching "Glee" with my wife...) but at the same time, when you operate in a corporate culture that rewards conformity and have colleagues (much less superiors) that are significantly older than you, what they see you do "in your own time" *does* impact your career. Pulling out a portable gaming gadget when on business travel with such people is not the smartest business move to make.

The same way I look at subordinates lower and younger than me that are incessantly texting people while we are driving somewhere, older or superior colleagues are looking at me in the same light.

Anyway, without getting off topic, Sony's broken record repetition on things like forced new memory formats has far more to do with my desire not to purchase a VITA than me worrying about my personal brand.

-Suntan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 03-28-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony1 View Post

eh, you gotta get over that. I stopped worrying about what other people thought of me, years ago. It's so liberating to not constantly think about "what will my co-worker think if i start playing a portable game system right next to them?"

life is too short to worry about that ish.

qft.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #33 of 34 Old 03-28-2012, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

I don't care what anyone thinks of me on a personal level (if you don't believe it, I'll submit as proof that I actually enjoy watching "Glee" with my wife...) but at the same time, when you operate in a corporate culture that rewards conformity and have colleagues (much less superiors) that are significantly older than you, what they see you do "in your own time" *does* impact your career. Pulling out a portable gaming gadget when on business travel with such people is not the smartest business move to make.

The same way I look at subordinates lower and younger than me that are incessantly texting people while we are driving somewhere, older or superior colleagues are looking at me in the same light.

Anyway, without getting off topic, Sony's broken record repetition on things like forced new memory formats has far more to do with my desire not to purchase a VITA than me worrying about my personal brand.

-Suntan

Ok, I get what you mean. Yeah, I guess if you're in a corporate environment like that, it's understandable. Unfortunate, but understandable. (of course, I'm sure your salary isn't unfortunate, lol)
post #34 of 34 Old 03-28-2012, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

I don't care what anyone thinks of me on a personal level (…if you don't believe it, I'll submit as proof that I actually enjoy watching "Glee" with my wife...) but at the same time, when you operate in a corporate culture that rewards conformity and have colleagues (much less superiors) that are significantly older than you, what they see you do "in your own time" *does* impact your career. Pulling out a portable gaming gadget when on business travel with such people is not the smartest business move to make.

Not just corporate culture. I work in a non-corporate field, and I also couldn't bust out something like a Vita in those situations. Similar to you, my free-time isn't always my own. I think that's pretty common in fields where reputation and visibility matter enormously. It's stupid that there's a stigma, but I'm also not going to risk professional esteem to make a trivial point with no moral/ethical payoff.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page