post #31 of 151 Old 05-24-2012, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by RY35AN View Post

Can you tell me what PlayOn is? Does it help stream content from my computer to the PS3?

Yep; you install it on your PC, and it acts as a media server. Most every video that networks put on their websites can be viewed on your TV using your PS3. If you're an HBO subscriber, you can log in on your PC and you should be able to watch HBO Go on your TV. PlayOn offers a free trial, too.

http://www.playon.tv/playon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 151 Old 05-25-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle View Post

Yep; you install it on your PC, and it acts as a media server. Most every video that networks put on their websites can be viewed on your TV using your PS3. If you're an HBO subscriber, you can log in on your PC and you should be able to watch HBO Go on your TV. PlayOn offers a free trial, too.

Great! Thank you!

XBOX 360-RY35AN
PS3-RY35AN
post #33 of 151 Old 05-25-2012, 07:58 AM

The lite version (which is free) does HBOGO as well as Pandora and a few other apps. I would just use it for those two so no need to pay anything if all you want it for is HBOGO.

download and enjoy

good find whoever originally found it
post #34 of 151 Old 05-25-2012, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Martel View Post

The lite version (which is free) does HBOGO as well as Pandora and a few other apps. I would just use it for those two so no need to pay anything if all you want it for is HBOGO.

download and enjoy

good find whoever originally found it

Even better! So, I assume I go through the trial version then switch to the lite version once it has expired?

XBOX 360-RY35AN
PS3-RY35AN
post #35 of 151 Old 05-28-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:

Even better! So, I assume I go through the trial version then switch to the lite version once it has expired?

Even better!!! When the trial ends it automatically switches to the Lite version.
post #36 of 151 Old 05-28-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle View Post

If you need to leave your PC on then it is worthless. The idea of streaming video on the PS3 is that I don't need a PC. If that is the case then I will just watch it on the PC then.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired.
Cats are the best pets.
post #37 of 151 Old 05-29-2012, 04:50 AM

I gave PlayOn a shot this weekend - I want to be able to watch HBO Go content on my projector via the Roku or PS3, and in both cases the movie we were watching froze at about 70 minutes in. If I tried to restart, I couldn't even forward more than 30 seconds without it locking up again.

I've been working with PlayOn support the last few days - and have tried several things, shutting down the firewall, virus software, they had me make sure it worked through the PlayOn browser on the PC (it did), made sure I had plenty of disk - PC has way more horsepower than the required specs, and nothing worked.

Other than some audio limitations it was great for that hour!

Has anyone else experienced something similar? This would have been a great stop gap until the PS3 gets HBO Go, or DirecTV allows Roku to use it - some sites were showing screen shots of DirecTV in the provider menu when folks were testing the recent Time Warner add...

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/16/h...warner-and-po/
post #38 of 151 Old 05-29-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I've been able to use it but the quality of the streaming isn't so good. It buffers quite a bit.

XBOX 360-RY35AN
PS3-RY35AN
post #39 of 151 Old 05-29-2012, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

I've been able to use it but the quality of the streaming isn't so good. It buffers quite a bit.

I hope the PS4 has 4 Gigs of RAM so these kinds of apps work a lot better.
post #40 of 151 Old 05-30-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is because HBO Go does not use adaptive streaming and use cruddy Adobe Flash while Netflix uses adaptive streaming and the much better Microsoft Silverlight.

Cats are the best pets.
post #41 of 151 Old 05-30-2012, 02:30 PM

Think I'll get AppleTV for purposes of HBOtoGO. Its cheaper and requires no subscription. I hear it works with HBOtoGO streamed to an iPad which is using AppleTV to display the iPad screen on the tv.
post #42 of 151 Old 05-30-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanec View Post

Think I'll get AppleTV for purposes of HBOtoGO. Its cheaper and requires no subscription. I hear it works with HBOtoGO streamed to an iPad which is using AppleTV to display the iPad screen on the tv.

What is the point when the Ipad has the HBOGo app itself? Maybe it is your wording throwing me off. I just use the HDMI adaptor for the Ipad to my displays rather than streaming.

The HBOGo App has been great as well for the 360. Streaming looks just as good as Netflix and for anyone that had issues when it first released, the app has received updates that resolved those issues.

The 5.0 is here
post #43 of 151 Old 05-30-2012, 06:29 PM

46 inch screen vs 8 inch screen.
post #44 of 151 Old 05-30-2012, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanec View Post

46 inch screen vs 8 inch screen.

What I was saying is rather than using a $99 apple Tv you can use an HDMI cable for the iPad.

The 5.0 is here
post #45 of 151 Old 05-31-2012, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

What is the point when the Ipad has the HBOGo app itself? Maybe it is your wording throwing me off. I just use the HDMI adaptor for the Ipad to my displays rather than streaming.

The HBOGo App has been great as well for the 360. Streaming looks just as good as Netflix and for anyone that had issues when it first released, the app has received updates that resolved those issues.

Does the HDMI adapter pass audio as well? I've read posts before that said the app will report its not compatible with HDMI out, some have indicated video only.

If you are getting audio - are you going to a receiver, or a TV?
post #46 of 151 Old 05-31-2012, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

That would be based on the system they are using. I have a Denon 1912 receiver and the Sony HT-CT550w wireless sound bar in my bedroom

The 5.0 is here
post #47 of 151 Old 06-01-2012, 04:31 AM

Quote:

That would be based on the system they are using. I have a Denon 1912 receiver and the Sony HT-CT550w wireless sound bar in my bedroom

Are you able to get audio and video from the HBO Go App via iPad/HDMI adapter to either your Denon 1912, or the soundbar?

If this works, its an OK stop gap for me until I can get this on the ps3 or roku, but its the only reason I'd need this cable - so I'd rather not get one if it doesn't function properly.
post #48 of 151 Old 06-01-2012, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric McEntee View Post

Are you able to get audio and video from the HBO Go App via iPad/HDMI adapter to either your Denon 1912, or the soundbar?

If this works, its an OK stop gap for me until I can get this on the ps3 or roku, but its the only reason I'd need this cable - so I'd rather not get one if it doesn't function properly.

Yes

The 5.0 is here
post #49 of 151 Old 06-01-2012, 12:12 PM

Liked: 11
Guess I've been lucky, I haven't had any problem at all watching HBOGo via my xbox and through PlayOn. I'm on 12MB AT&T u-verse ADSL, the computer and consoles are on a gigabit internal network.

I've watched several episodes of Ricky Gervais, several movies, and a few of the comedy offerings, and never had a buffering issue of any sort. Also, everything looks fine on my 62" tv, but i'm admittedly not AS picky about picture quality because i understand the limitations that come with streaming.

i'm a big advocate of PlayOn, it's well worth the lifetime subscription fee. It's updated fairly frequently, and they're always adding new features. I like being able to pick up feeds from most of the major networks if my DVR misses a show I want to see, and it's a great way to watch Hulu on my TV for those items that are not included in Hulu Plus.

I don't know if the PS3 will ever get a native app, sometimes I think Sony doesn't know what to do with their console this far into its product life. By contrast, Microsoft made a decision to transition from an emphasis on gaming to an emphasis on media, which is why so much great content is appearing there first.

Chimpuat

post #50 of 151 Old 06-01-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpuat View Post

Guess I've been lucky, I haven't had any problem at all watching HBOGo via my xbox and through PlayOn. I'm on 12MB AT&T u-verse ADSL, the computer and consoles are on a gigabit internal network.

I've watched several episodes of Ricky Gervais, several movies, and a few of the comedy offerings, and never had a buffering issue of any sort. Also, everything looks fine on my 62" tv, but i'm admittedly not AS picky about picture quality because i understand the limitations that come with streaming.

i'm a big advocate of PlayOn, it's well worth the lifetime subscription fee. It's updated fairly frequently, and they're always adding new features. I like being able to pick up feeds from most of the major networks if my DVR misses a show I want to see, and it's a great way to watch Hulu on my TV for those items that are not included in Hulu Plus.

I don't know if the PS3 will ever get a native app, sometimes I think Sony doesn't know what to do with their console this far into its product life. By contrast, Microsoft made a decision to transition from an emphasis on gaming to an emphasis on media, which is why so much great content is appearing there first.

The thing is they are not focusing more emphasis on media content. They just simply put themselves in a position to offer everything. It has been their goal for the last 10 years to provide a one stop shop. People can't accept that just because the game isn't exclusive then somehow the 360 has no games. Yet most versions are played and sold on the 360. Not like it doesn't have a backlog of games that seems to be a theme for some here that can't buy new games anyway because they are still playing catchup.

The 5.0 is here
post #51 of 151 Old 06-03-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

HBO Go is not really designed for regular high def TV viewing .. it's a service made more for portable devices, thus the word "Go" ..

There have been numerous reports of bad PQ, out of sync audio and no LFE as it relates to the XBox app .. if there is a PS3 app coming, then hopefully, these issues will be corrected ..

Actually that isn't quite true, at least in my case.

I have my desktop cloned to my Olevia 747i in my viewing room with the sound system, when I run HBO through the cable box and watch movies the 747i displays at 1080i 30Hz, but if I use HBO GO to watch the same show ported and cloned from the computer monitor I use for BluRays it displays at 1080P 60Hz.

Maybe just my set up but HBO go through my computer hookup seems to run a little better quality here than the cable box direct at any rate
post #52 of 151 Old 06-04-2012, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

How are you using the HDMI adapter? When I try, a message shows on the TV indicating that HDMI is not supported. This is with the HBO Go 1.5 release, dated April 30th. Audio does get sent, just not video.
post #53 of 151 Old 06-09-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsfan21 View Post

Out of curiosity, why would you want HBO Go on the PS3? Since I imagine most PS3 users are at home and you have to subscribe to HBO to get HBO GO, why would you watch it on the PS3 instead of your cable/satellite provider in HD? The streaming quality on HBO Go doesn't look very good from my experience.
Sure i can turn on my cable box and watch current hbo shows on demand, but what you don'r understand is that with hbo go i don'r have to use the cable box in the house.

You make a small point for hbo on demand but it doesn't have all the same shows that hbo go does.
post #54 of 151 Old 06-10-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

Yes

How are you displaying HBOtoGO via ipad and HDMI? I just tried that and I get a message on my TV saying that this device isn't supported with HBOtoGO through a HDMI interface.

And here's an article saying it doesn't work: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-57405715-233/how-to-watch-hbo-go-on-your-apple-tv-sort-of/

I have an iPad2 and by the way, the HBOtoGO app was just updated from the app store prior to me trying this for the first time.

That article also says no HBOtoGo through AppleTV (I don't have comcast, so their workaround isn't for me). mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif
post #55 of 151 Old 06-11-2012, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I can't think of what I had mixed this app up with then. I had just got the New IPad around the time I was using HBOGO on my Samsung LED and 360. My mistake.

The 5.0 is here
post #56 of 151 Old 06-11-2012, 11:03 AM

It was disappointing to see HBO GO does not work on my Roku (because I have directv) and on the PS3.

Luckily it worked on my Revue...a few bugs and freezes but it works.

Juggling all this crap is a pretty funny. I cant watch Hulu+ on google tv.but I can on my Roku...I can watch crunchyroll for free on my Roku (with a small ad) but have to pay via google tv...

With all of this limitation, I am pretty sure that the higher ups at these corporations have no experience using any of this crap. Because it's counter productive and just annoys users who are PAYING customers.
post #57 of 151 Old 06-11-2012, 03:44 PM

What works and doesn't is inconsistent. It varied between hardware and internet providers. I believe the thinking is as follows...

HBO would love for you to view all their stuff in any manner that they want. However, they must protect their relationship with the companies provide most of their consumer sales (cable/satellite/telecom TV providers). If HBO were to allow you to view HD HBOGO content anywhere on any screen, they'd fall into a gray area between content provider and the outdated business model that it cable TV. Its bad business for them to become competitors to their best sales agents (cable/satellite/telecom TV providers). So that's why they have seemingly silly limitations on things like HBOGO.

Comcast/AT&T/Verizon/DirecTV, etc don't want you to have unlimited HD access to HBOGO. You could use it anywhere and from anyone's network. The service would essentially be independent of the communication networks that these companies are selling you. They know you'd be thinking to yourself "ya know, I just don't need Comcast (or other company) anymore...I'll just buy an HBO subscription from HBO and cancel my cable TV service". Comcasts of the world are trying to nip that in the bud by placing limitations on things like HBOGO.

All this has the makings of the mp3 revolution. Content providers (music industry) had a myriad of silly restrictions on the manner in which they provided their product. Consumers eventually won out, but it didn't happen until consumers amassed enough power that it became clear that the content providers had to either change or go out of business. And now we have mp3 freely sold to consumers through a variety of means.

I think the same will eventually happen with cable TV. Right now the old guard is hanging on to their power and influence as long as possible. They're trying to force consumers into their own corner. Eventually enough consumers will recognize how silly all this is and some rouge Hulu or someone will win a landmark lawsuit or introduce some revolutionary product which will force the old guard to join the current century.
post #58 of 151 Old 08-26-2012, 02:55 PM

Play on is a media server that is free and has a paid version as well. It has netflix, hbo go, and a bunch of other apps built in. It uses your pc and serves other devices through your network. I found it buggy on my ps3 as it seems to not keep the log in very long and you can only log in from your pc. Also the streaming seems more shoddy than the actual app on the xbox for instance. I wanted a way to watch hbo go upstairs on my ps3. Downstairs we have an xbox that works great with the native app.

www.playon.com to check it out. For now...it is the only way to get hbo go on the ps3.
post #59 of 151 Old 08-28-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 761
I used PlayOn for a year and it worked OK but any time you got into getting services you aren't supposed to have it s**ts the bed on the reg. When my license came up for renewal I opted out. Going to sign in on your PC, restarting services, and then having the PS3 look for media servers was no fun. It did fine on streaming local media however.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steam: Guts
post #60 of 151 Old 08-29-2012, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sodee View Post

Play on is a media server that is free and has a paid version as well. It has netflix, hbo go, and a bunch of other apps built in. It uses your pc and serves other devices through your network. I found it buggy on my ps3 as it seems to not keep the log in very long and you can only log in from your pc. Also the streaming seems more shoddy than the actual app on the xbox for instance. I wanted a way to watch hbo go upstairs on my ps3. Downstairs we have an xbox that works great with the native app.
www.playon.com to check it out. For now...it is the only way to get hbo go on the ps3.

What I said before what is the point of having to have a PC on and running in order to watch it on your TV. If you need a computer just watch it on that.

Cats are the best pets.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 3 80gb System

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page