Yes. Mine's showing Dolby Pro Logic II.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 150 Old 03-07-2014, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I downloaded the app today, and the picture quality looked solid. But the audio was out of sync with people's mouth movements--probably by a second or two. Anyone else have that problem?
post #123 of 150 Old 03-08-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I did try the app and I really could not tell if the video was in HD or not. All I know is a saw a lot of blockage so it could have been SD. Also SD at 16:9 looks much worse than SD at 4:3. I still don't understand that though.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony S5100 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Toshiba 39L2300U 39-Inch 1080p.
Cats are the best pets.
post #124 of 150 Old 03-10-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Watched a few things this weekend .. all rock steady and great PQ until the final episode of "True Detective" crashed HBO GO ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #125 of 150 Old 03-10-2014, 12:16 PM

Liked: 11
Comcast slowing down Netflix...HBO Go never really working right...these things are happening on purpose.
I have BrightHouse Roadrunner service and could not get Ooma Telephone service to work properly. Ooma blamed Brighthouse , BrightHouse blamed Ooma. For some reason though Brighthouse's own telephone service for an xtra $20.00 a month, works great...
post #126 of 150 Old 03-10-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Watched a few things this weekend .. all rock steady and great PQ until the final episode of "True Detective" crashed HBO GO ..

The app that crashed the world over:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/09/hbo-go-crash_n_4932127.html
post #127 of 150 Old 03-11-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I compared PS3 and AppleTV last night with GoT. It was shocking to see how much better the PQ was with the ATV. Not a little. A LOT. My wife, who isn't insane about such things, easily noticed the difference.

And it held steady over the entire period whereas the PS3 stream would fluctuate (between meh and good, never as good as that on the ATV). Same ISP in both cases obviously so it's not that.

Surprising because netflix has always been fantastic on the PS3 for me, better than on most other devices. I figured hbogo would be the same. Not for the moment it seems.
reddice likes this.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #128 of 150 Old 03-11-2014, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 81
Interesting. Are you wired, or are you wireless? I don't have an ATV to compare, but I do have a Roku, and it seems comparable to me, even though the Roku is in a place where the wireless signal is stronger and is running on a TV that is 15 inches smaller and further away in viewing distance to boot...
post #129 of 150 Old 03-11-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I agree the PS3 has pretty poor PQ for HBO Go. I have not used it much but I did try to watch a movie and it did look pretty bad. It has much blockage in the background and the colors did not look sharp. I said that this does not look like HD to me of course there is no quality indicator so there is no way to tell.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony S5100 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Toshiba 39L2300U 39-Inch 1080p.
Cats are the best pets.
post #130 of 150 Old 03-14-2014, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

After a week of watching, I can see the PQ varies. When it's good, it's very, very good. Excellent definition, color, motion. But when it's bad, degrading to blocking, tearing, and softness gets in the way of the story.

The positive seems to be it's getting better. Perhaps HBO's throwing more servers at the problem.
post #131 of 150 Old 03-15-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post

Interesting. Are you wired, or are you wireless? I don't have an ATV to compare, but I do have a Roku, and it seems comparable to me, even though the Roku is in a place where the wireless signal is stronger and is running on a TV that is 15 inches smaller and further away in viewing distance to boot...

Both the PS3 and ATV are wired.

I had my first PQ let down on the ATV last night. GoT again, and for the first time the PQ fluctuated and even occasionally dipped down into "I don't want to keep watching like this" land. Still better in general than the PS3 experience. So it seems a combination of current bandwidth as well as buffering technique that determines the PQ.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #132 of 150 Old 03-15-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I am still getting a consistent HD quality feed .. although there are still a few frame drops going on, it's not major .. 60Mbps down ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #133 of 150 Old 03-18-2014, 07:08 PM

Downloaded the app for ps3 saturday.Catching up on Game of Thrones.With a wired connection the quality has been in and out.Not really HD but watchable.At this point don't think I'd watch movies on it.
post #134 of 150 Old 03-28-2014, 09:39 PM
Nox
AVS Special Member

I tried it tonight. I believe it's on par with the Xbox 360 version in terms of quality with one exception... no 5.1 audio.

If I recall, HBO Go on the 360 had 2.0 audio in its first year. I used it to watch season 2 Game of Thrones each week as they were released. My receiver always showed "multi-channel" but the audio from the speakers were clearly only coming from the front right/left just as it's doing now. It drove me crazy until I just accepted it.

By the time GoT season 3 started, the audio was coming in 5.1.

I'm assuming the PS3 version may be doing the same.

-David
post #135 of 150 Old 05-18-2014, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Can we confirm if there is no 5.1 support for the PS3 app currently? On the PlayStation site promo images however, it does indicate it:

hbo_img_2.jpg
post #136 of 150 Old 05-19-2014, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 44
I wonder why Comcast isn't on board with HBOGO on the PS3 but they support it on other devices?

PSN brakel

post #137 of 150 Old 05-20-2014, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 230
I'm sure it has everything to do with money. HBO wants more and Comcast don't want to give them more.

I was really hoping that HBO GO would show up on the PS4 before this season of GoT was over. I have an Apple TV so I can get it on that but, I could use my headset with the PS4.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #138 of 150 Old 05-20-2014, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

I'm sure it has everything to do with money. HBO wants more and Comcast don't want to give them more.

I was really hoping that HBO GO would show up on the PS4 before this season of GoT was over. I have an Apple TV so I can get it on that but, I could use my headset with the PS4.

How does Comcast get more money by allowing HBOGO on Samsung TVs and other devices but not the PS3?

PSN brakel

post #139 of 150 Old 05-20-2014, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakel View Post

How does Comcast get more money by allowing HBOGO on Samsung TVs and other devices but not the PS3?

It does seem odd that Comcast offers HBOGO on several devices, just not the PS3 .. I'm not a Comcast customer, but if I were, that would certainly be worth a call to them ..

I don't see any technical reason why it's not offered ..

post #140 of 150 Old 05-20-2014, 08:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'll add that my beef with HBO, for quite some time, is that they don't offer, in my case, Charter, even a halfway decent On Demand selection .. which I believe should contain the same content as HBOGO but in my case, not even close .. I was piping HBOGO thru an HDMI laptop to TV since I really did not want another device .. so, I cheered when HBOGO finally made the PS3 ..

post #141 of 150 Old 05-20-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I don't see any technical reason why it's not offered ..

There is no technical reason, it's all contractual, which is what I was trying to say earlier. These contracts are not written to cover every device ever made past, present and future, the contracts specify the devices. For Comcast, the PS3 was most likely not in the original contract so, to add it would require re-negotiating. Which means HBO would probably want more money from Comcast to add PS3 support and maybe Comcast isn't willing to do that.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #142 of 150 Old 05-20-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

There is no technical reason, it's all contractual, which is what I was trying to say earlier. These contracts are not written to cover every device ever made past, present and future, the contracts specify the devices. For Comcast, the PS3 was most likely not in the original contract so, to add it would require re-negotiating. Which means HBO would probably want more money from Comcast to add PS3 support and maybe Comcast isn't willing to do that.

I can understand that .. but what's puzzling is you can go buy a device that Comcast does support and get HBOGO .. thus, your going to get the service thru Comcast one way or the other if you want it bad enough .. I would think that HBO would want as many subscribers as possible to be able to get HBOGO .. and in this business, even if the contract did not cover the PS3, the addition of a device is generally cents or less per subscriber ..

I took a look at some of the Comcast Forums on the topic, and apparently, the CSR's are telling some call in customers "it's in the works" ..

I'm also wondering what the Comcast / Time Warner possible merge will do ..

post #143 of 150 Old 05-20-2014, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
I think comcast and xbox 360 maybe did some sort of timed exclusive for the console space.

I picked up a chromecast for $29 and it works fine as a bridge until PS4 support goes live.

xbl/gamecenter: leff4
psn/twitter: ileff
my app: video poker clock
post #144 of 150 Old 05-24-2014, 11:59 AM

Device authorization is another way for these providers to sidestep net neutrality arguments. I am willing to bet they have no intention of supporting the PS3 (or PS4 or Roku or Amazon's Fire TV). Comcast is the lone outlier in # of TV Everywhere authorizations because they are big enough to be able to deny authorizations. It will get worse if #ComcastTWC comes to pass.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
post #145 of 150 Old 05-31-2014, 08:08 PM

Just an update ...while watching The 2014 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction It seems as the app is still having issues. At least for me I experienced a lot of stuttering and dropped frames.. The sound was consistent though.. For me the app is still disappointing. Brighthouse is my provider with 11.5 down and 1.5 up.
post #146 of 150 Old 06-01-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelman99 View Post

Just an update ...while watching The 2014 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction It seems as the app is still having issues. At least for me I experienced a lot of stuttering and dropped frames.. The sound was consistent though.. For me the app is still disappointing. Brighthouse is my provider with 11.5 down and 1.5 up.

I had the same issue last night on a couple of different shows .. 60Mbps down

post #147 of 150 Old 06-04-2014, 12:49 PM

My experiences with HBO Go are similar to others here, which basically means frustrating as hell. It consistently stalls to buffer, or loses its connection completely despite all other PS3 apps, and all other wireless devices in my home, working perfectly. I can stream Netflix all day and never encounter a hiccup, but HBO Go can't make it ten minutes before a massive stutter attack. I have a solid 15mps wireless connection from Charter.

Does anyone know a way to improve the performance, or should I just pray for a firmware update?
post #148 of 150 Old 06-04-2014, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtapper View Post

My experiences with HBO Go are similar to others here, which basically means frustrating as hell. It consistently stalls to buffer, or loses its connection completely despite all other PS3 apps, and all other wireless devices in my home, working perfectly. I can stream Netflix all day and never encounter a hiccup, but HBO Go can't make it ten minutes before a massive stutter attack. I have a solid 15mps wireless connection from Charter.

Does anyone know a way to improve the performance, or should I just pray for a firmware update?

I use a couple of PS3's on HBOGO .. last night, I got a total lockup on the whole system which I had never encountered before .. watching "Silicon Valley" .. I had been doing some gaming before I switched to HBOGO ..

I had to do a complete reboot / unplug to get the PS3 back up .. after that, HBOGO ran flawlessly for several hours ..

post #149 of 150 Old 06-04-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelman99 View Post

That was a great induction show .. smile.gif I thought Peter Gabriel and the Linda Ronstadt tribute were excellent ..

post #150 of 150 Old 06-04-2014, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
My experience with HBO Go has actually been okay. I've started watching True Detective, and after some pauses in the beginning, the rest of the episode streams pretty well. There are times when the resolution drops, but usually briefly; overall it's not bad. And it's not like my Netflix experience has been perfect; I've had episodes of animated series drop to 320 SD on Netflix. (I have a wired connection to my router, with Comcast, 30mps down.)
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 3 80gb System

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page