AVS Forum banner

when is HBO Go coming to PS3?

142K views 162 replies 63 participants last post by  NormieTrice 
#1 ·
I see it was announced that HBO Go is now live on Xbox360 (or maybe it was April 2), I am wondering if anyone has any info on exactly when it will come to the PS3?

I have done some research but cannot find anything definitive but wow, having access to the full lineup of HBO content from any era (HBO On Demand doesn't come close) would be pretty powerful. Maybe I would watch "The Wire" from its beginning.

See less See more
#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillG /forum/post/21847687

I'm also wondering when and if Amazon video is coming to PS3

Wonder no more

Still, I really want HBO GO. I'm cautiously optimistic we will get it at some point; although the Xbox Live HBO GO was prominently promoted during Game of Thrones' S2 premiere, there was no mention of "exclusive". Hopefully it is just a timed exclusive and a PS3 version will be forthcoming.

#5 ·
Out of curiosity, why would you want HBO Go on the PS3? Since I imagine most PS3 users are at home and you have to subscribe to HBO to get HBO GO, why would you watch it on the PS3 instead of your cable/satellite provider in HD? The streaming quality on HBO Go doesn't look very good from my experience.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsfan21 /forum/post/21866890

Out of curiosity, why would you want HBO Go on the PS3? Since I imagine most PS3 users are at home and you have to subscribe to HBO to get HBO GO, why would you watch it on the PS3 instead of your cable/satellite provider in HD? The streaming quality on HBO Go doesn't look very good from my experience.

don't hold me to it, but I think there's more/different stuff available on HBO GO then just on demand.

#7 ·

Quote:

Your cable/satellite provider does not provide HBO Go. It may have HBO On Demand which because of bandwidth is a small sampling of recent shows, episodes, and movies. HBO Go is nearly the full catalog and I think all HBO shows past or present.

As for quality, I don't know, I was just assuming that it would be high quality (HD) given the PS3's capabilities.

#8 ·
HBO Go has the their entire catalog correct? That would be the main reason I'd like it. My cable/satellite provider does have HBO On Demand but not everything is available.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb5f /forum/post/21867069

Your cable/satellite provider does not provide HBO Go. It may have HBO On Demand which because of bandwidth is a small sampling of recent shows, episodes, and movies. HBO Go is nearly the full catalog and I think all HBO shows past or present.

As for quality, I don't know, I was just assuming that it would be high quality (HD) given the PS3's capabilities.

I know your cable/satellite provider does not provide HBO Go. I was saying you have to subscribe to HBO on satellite or cable to get access to HBO Go. You are right that HBO Go does offer much more content compared to HBO On Demand. I wasn't thinking about that when I wrote my OP. That's a big reason to want to have HBO Go on PS3.

I have a fast internet connection, but the quality watching on my Mac wasn't that good. I haven't used HBO GO lately so maybe it has improved, but I do believe it's not in HD. If it does come to PS3 with HD streaming, I would use it a lot to watch old shows such as Deadwood and Rome.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsfan21 /forum/post/21867321

I have a fast internet connection, but the quality watching on my Mac wasn't that good. I haven't used HBO GO lately so maybe it has improved, but I do believe it's not in HD. If it does come to PS3 with HD streaming, I would use it a lot to watch old shows such as Deadwood and Rome.

I tried the movie Rio on HBO Go on my fast laptop with a fast connection. The movie did not play in HD was only SD and it keeps pausing. After about 10 minutes I got disgusted and turned it off. I can watch HD video on Netflix and it pays fine and does not pause at all. Searching on Google made me want to pull my hair out. All I keep getting was watch on your iPad this and Android that but I found out on one good forum that HBO Go does not do adaptive streaming which Netflix does. I ditched HBO Go. Rather watch Rio in HD on one of the HBO channels.

#11 ·

Quote:

Here's and example.... I have my Directv DVR downstairs, and have a projector upstairs with a PS3. I don't want a second DVR, but would love to be able to watch content from HBO Go upstairs on the projector. I have a Roku device, but Directv won't let you use HBO Go with it as has been pointed out before.

Amazon VOD, was a nice surprise this week!

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric McEntee /forum/post/21872816

Here's and example.... I have my Directv DVR downstairs, and have a projector upstairs with a PS3. I don't want a second DVR, but would love to be able to watch content from HBO Go upstairs on the projector. I have a Roku device, but Directv won't let you use HBO Go with it as has been pointed out before.

Amazon VOD, was a nice surprise this week!

Another option you have to access HBO on your projector would be to have a Directv receiver installed upstairs. You don't need another DVR. A regular HD Directv receiver can access your recordings on your DVR downstairs.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsfan21 /forum/post/21885918

I wish that would be an option. It would be nice to be able to have just an a la carte tv service.

Why would you? HBO Go streaming is very unreliable.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsfan21 /forum/post/21887005

I agree. I would only pay for a service like that if it was in HD and reliable. The bad picture quality is why I never use it. I just record everything on my DVR I want to watch.

Yes, picture quality could be a deal breaker.

DVR is great but current HBO content (or even HBO On Demand HD) is only a small subset of the entire catalog. That is why HBO Go is so enticing.

#21 ·
HBO Go is not really designed for regular high def TV viewing .. it's a service made more for portable devices, thus the word "Go" ..

There have been numerous reports of bad PQ, out of sync audio and no LFE as it relates to the XBox app .. if there is a PS3 app coming, then hopefully, these issues will be corrected ..

#22 ·
It all has to do with adaptive streaming. Netflix uses it. HBO Go does not which is why it is unreliable.

Also Netflix uses Microsoft Silverlight which streams way better uses better codecs as HBO Go uses crappy Adobe Flash which I don't think can even do adaptive streaming and who knows what codecs they use.

You need to subscribe to HBO anyway and your cable/satellite/telo company needs to support it but as to pay for it ala-cart it is not worth it well at least right now.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg /forum/post/21889211

Just my opinion but the HBOGo business seems to have a lot of traction with people who watch movies/series on their phones or other portables. I for one find it painful and prefer my 55 inch.

I only watch Netflix on my 32" HDTV and my 17" 1080p laptop. Anything like a iPhone with a 4" screen it is just painful and I don't even bother.

#24 ·
I have no problem streaming videos on HBO go. I'm connected wirelessly and haven't had a single problem with buffering or freezing. I tend to have more issues with netflix then anything else. I will say that I am using my parents Dish account info for the HBO go access. I would only assume that the ps3 owners who want HBO go would be doing it for the same reason. They may not have dish, direcTV, prism, etc.

#25 ·
I have an Xbox and PS3, and have been using both Netflix and HBO Go. I wonder if those of you commenting about picture/streaming quality have actually used or seen HBO Go on the Xbox. Some have said it isn't in HD. That is false. Everything I have watched is in HD, aside from old content that wasn't shot in HD. The quality of the HD looks every bit as good as Netflix. And as for the streaming, I've yet to encounter one problem. Everything has streamed in HD without buffering, just as it does with Netflix. HBO Go has been an exceptional product as far as I'm concerned. Getting access to such an extensive library of great shows is awesome, and it also uploads shows the day after airing instead of months to a year after like Netflix.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsfan21 /forum/post/21887005

I agree. I would only pay for a service like that if it was in HD and reliable. The bad picture quality is why I never use it. I just record everything on my DVR I want to watch.

I have band of brothers and the pacific on bluray. There is no discernible difference in PQ between hbo bo and the blurays.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.