Vita's are going for cheap prices on Craigslist... - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 139 Old 04-05-2012, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 5,995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Frankly, I'm amazed (but not surprised) that Sony's not doing anything to build interest. No changes in price. No surprise feature announcements. No major game announcements. Nothing. It's really no wonder that the second-hand market is undercutting Sony's own pricing.

At this point, their best bet is to wait till e3, then hit with a barrage of game announcements and trailers. Of course a price drop is mandatory. I'm sure they'd love to wait till late August or September to do a price drop, but I think they need to drop the price at e3.
Anthony1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 139 Old 04-05-2012, 11:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DaGamePimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: WA State
Posts: 15,533
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 163
At this point not impressed enough with it to buy one at current price and not enough games to justify 'jumping in'. We plan to get one for our son but currently there are really only a few games he would play (and only a couple for me) so not much point. I hope it takes off though and by X-mas we have a large library of games to choose from.

In my area there was not a single Vita under $250 on CL (and those that were at $250 were the wifi only version with hardly anything else).

Jason

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DaGamePimp is online now  
post #33 of 139 Old 04-06-2012, 04:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dragonyeuw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
The problem is, after a month, there's little buzz surrounding the Vita. Looking at the upcoming list of games I don't see anything really inspiring, though I do feel they launched with a pretty solid line-up.

As mentioned above, Sony has failed to properly market the thing. They've also failed to implement basic features like the PSone emulator, which should have been available from day one. Now, one may question the importance of being able to play older games on your shiny new handheld, but alot of people have money tied up in PSN purchases that they'd love to migrate 100% over to Vita and retire their PSP completely. I've been around a few gaming boards, and I seem to hear the following on a regular basis:

'I'll buy a Vita when.....'

1) Gravity Rush comes out

2) The Vita can natively play PSone titles, and PSP titles without the need to go through a PS3

3)Memory card priced drop

4) The Vita itself drops in price and/or adds a memory card to the package( I personally don't see why they can't include a 4gb card).


There seems to be a growing sentiment that because the 3ds dropped very early, the Vita is destined to do the same and perhaps a number of people are taking a wait and see stance, especially since there's nothing that really says 'I HAVE TO BUY A VITA' at the moment. A game like Uncharted is a definite purchase for me if I owned a Vita; having said that I only recently played Uncharted 3, so I'm not exactly clamouring for a new Uncharted adventure. Lumines? Marvel vs Capcom 3? Wipeout? Rayman? I'd buy all of them but certainly not at full price, and again they're only games I'd purchase if I already owned the system. I certainly wouldn't buy the system especially to play these titles.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

dragonyeuw is offline  
post #34 of 139 Old 04-06-2012, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Chairman7w's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I wish I saw that out here (Sacramento). I just checked Craigslist and there are NONE. Zilch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

The Vita is a sensational little handheld, and it's staggering how many people are selling these things away just 40 days after the launch. I'm guessing many of these people bought a Vita on an impulse, and they just for whatever reason need some cash really bad, and they decide to sell.

It's really unfortunate, because they are giving up on that handheld WAY too soon imo. I'm having a great time with my Vita. I have at least 5 or 6 great games for it, and can't wait to try more games.


"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

 

 

Chairman7w is offline  
post #35 of 139 Old 04-06-2012, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 5,995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post


In my area there was not a single Vita under $250 on CL (and those that were at $250 were the wifi only version with hardly anything else).

Jason

In my area, there are only a couple of Vita's under $250, but like I was saying before, I bought a total of 4 different Vita's, from 4 different dudes on craigslist. All 4 of them had higher prices than $250 for their "package" of stuff. All 4 of them had to settle for dramatically less money.

I saw various Vita's on Craigslist for about $300, that included 3 games, a 8 gig memory card, a travel case, etc, etc. I would offer like $240 cash money, and some of them accepted. When you break out the cost of the 3 games (let's say $13 each), that would be $39 for the 3 games, an 8 gig memory card is worth at least 18 bucks, and say the travel case is worth 5 bucks. 39 + 18 + 5 = $62. If you paid the guy $240 cash, then you REALLY paid $178 for the Vita. Unless the 3 games were 3 copies of Little Deviants, then you also got 3 games at a very cheap price (only $13 each). Again, you're going to need a memory card at some point, so getting an 8 gig mem card for $18 or getting say a 4 gig card for $9, is worth it, cause you're going to need one of those anyway. As for the $5 travel case, if it's not a case you like, then sell it for $9 to somebody else, and buy the case you really want.

They key is to watch the Craigslist ads, and see which ones continually get posted, and still haven't sold. Be patient. If a guy has a Vita on Craigslist for 2 weeks and hasn't sold it, he's going to develop an itchy trigger finger. That's when you throw in the lowball offer. I'd offer 30 to 25 percent less than what the guy is asking. If he says no, try 20 percent less. If he says no, then just wait another week. Remember, money talks, BS walks. Tons of people will offer these sellers various things, but how many of the offers are serious? Very few. When I make my offer, I tell them that I have the cash on hand, and can come meet up right now. (definitely meet the guy at a Starbucks or McDonalds, so you can test out the Vita and not get jacked). All the Vita's floating around out there are still only 2 months old at most, so 95 percent of them are still in excellent condition. This system hasn't been available for a year or two, so you aren't going to get an old Vita with a messed up triangle button. Still, test the buttons and stuff out. Test the touchscreens.

Right now, if I was in the market to buy more Vita stuff, I could have an absolute field day. There are maybe 10 to 15 different peeps selling Vita packages on my local Craigslist right now. I could get games, memory cards and travel cases for dirt cheap,, but the problem is that it requires me to purchase Vita hardware along with it. Since I'm already sitting on 2 Vita's, (and I only need 1 of them), I just can't afford to be doing any more speculative buying. If I had zero Vita systems right now (if I somehow sold the two I own), I'd probably buy 2 more huge Vita packages and part all the stuff out. Keep some of the stuff that I want (if somebody had Rayman Origins, Unit 13 or Virtua Tennis 4, the only 3 Vita games I don't have that I'm interested in), and sell the rest on Ebay, Amazon, craigslist or various message boards.

The downside is that it gets very time consuming to be doing all kinds of misc. transactions. Right now, I just need to sell the extra Vita that I have, sell the extra memory cards that I have, and I'm done with it.
Anthony1 is offline  
post #36 of 139 Old 04-08-2012, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
spinksjinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Was wanting to pick one up after and found out it didn't have video out and it would be added when the slim version is released has turned me away.

I know hooking it up to a TV defeats the purpose, but the idea of gaming, streaming movies and such to my big screen entertains me and is a feature I expect especially since the dated PSP has it.
spinksjinx is offline  
post #37 of 139 Old 04-08-2012, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 5,995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinksjinx View Post

Was wanting to pick one up after and found out it didn't have video out and it would be added when the slim version is released has turned me away.

I know hooking it up to a TV defeats the purpose, but the idea of gaming, streaming movies and such to my big screen entertains me and is a feature I expect especially since the dated PSP has it.

Yeah, the lack of HDMI out is REALLY disappointing. The Vita's native resolution is 960 x 544 . One thing I'm curious about, is will TV's be able to handle this resolution? I either hook stuff up directly to my TV's hdmi input, or go thru the Receiver. I'm just not sure if the Receiver or TV would handle that resolution. I would hope that it could just upconvert the 960 x 544 to whatever it needed to, to display the signal, but I'm not sure it's a guarantee. Maybe that could be the problem?

With the PSP, I have the component cable, and have hooked my PSP up to a large TV, and it doesn't run the game in full screen. Not sure why it can't just output the video signal, and the TV could do whatever it has to do, but it doesn't run in full screen. I wonder if the Vita would be any different?
Anthony1 is offline  
post #38 of 139 Old 04-10-2012, 04:58 AM
Member
 
CNPalmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Vita is MINE

Found an ad on CL that had been posted several times over several days for almost 2 weeks. The seller was asking $250 in his first few ads for a WiFi version w/8GB memory card.

Then his last few ads he dropped from $250 to $225 then down to $210. He also started posting his cell phone number so he could accept offers faster and in his last ad, he said said he'll take the best offer and that it needed to go ASAP. I sent him a text msg telling him for $150 I had the cash in my pocket and could meet him in an hour wherever he chose.

Within 3min he replied with where to meet him, I showed up, tested it out and handed over my cash...

The way I look at it... I had sole a bunch of blu-rays the day before on CL for $25 and then sold an extra DualShock3 I had for $25... That dropped my out of pocket expense to $100. Then the memory card retail on Amazon would cost $30 so the Vita unit alone I paid $70, which is what a lot of PSP's are listed for in my area.

In all, very happy, extremely cool device, love the fact I can trophy hunt on the go and can wireless tether to my rooted Galaxy Nexus for 4G gaming if I really want
CNPalmer is offline  
post #39 of 139 Old 04-10-2012, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 5,995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNPalmer View Post
The Vita is MINE

Found an ad on CL that had been posted several times over several days for almost 2 weeks. The seller was asking $250 in his first few ads for a WiFi version w/8GB memory card.

Then his last few ads he dropped from $250 to $225 then down to $210. He also started posting his cell phone number so he could accept offers faster and in his last ad, he said said he'll take the best offer and that it needed to go ASAP. I sent him a text msg telling him for $150 I had the cash in my pocket and could meet him in an hour wherever he chose.

Within 3min he replied with where to meet him, I showed up, tested it out and handed over my cash...

The way I look at it... I had sole a bunch of blu-rays the day before on CL for $25 and then sold an extra DualShock3 I had for $25... That dropped my out of pocket expense to $100. Then the memory card retail on Amazon would cost $30 so the Vita unit alone I paid $70, which is what a lot of PSP's are listed for in my area.

In all, very happy, extremely cool device, love the fact I can trophy hunt on the go and can wireless tether to my rooted Galaxy Nexus for 4G gaming if I really want
wow, that was a great score. You got the Vita AND the 8 gig memory card for $150? 8 gig memory cards are worth about $20 on the secondary market, so that's like getting that Vita for $130, which is absolutely criminal. I felt like I had the ultimate buy when I got that one Vita for $157, but that price was with no memory cards or anything. Just the vita and the power cord/usb cable.
Anthony1 is offline  
post #40 of 139 Old 04-10-2012, 03:29 PM
Member
 
Christian Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great find guys. I just checked my local CL and found a PS Vita Wi-Fi for sale with 4GB Memory Card and Touch My Katamari game for 190$. Just sent the guy an offer; will see what happens.
Christian Smith is offline  
post #41 of 139 Old 04-11-2012, 01:18 AM
Member
 
Christian Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oh well he sold it, worth a try.
Christian Smith is offline  
post #42 of 139 Old 04-11-2012, 08:29 AM
Member
 
CNPalmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@Anthony,
It came complete too, full box, manual, instructions all original packaging. It was in such good condition I could have returned it to the store.

I did over estimate the value of the 8GB card though. Might have gotten confused with the 16GB cost. Although, I'd really like to have the 32GB card from Amazon but the $88 investment is a little hard to justify at the moment.

@Christian,
If you want, you can keep an eye out in my area (Western MA on CL) and if something comes up that you want I could pick it up & mail it for you all thru PayPal so you don't miss out on a good deal.
CNPalmer is offline  
post #43 of 139 Old 04-11-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
spinksjinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Yeah, the lack of HDMI out is REALLY disappointing. The Vita's native resolution is 960 x 544 . One thing I'm curious about, is will TV's be able to handle this resolution? I either hook stuff up directly to my TV's hdmi input, or go thru the Receiver. I'm just not sure if the Receiver or TV would handle that resolution. I would hope that it could just upconvert the 960 x 544 to whatever it needed to, to display the signal, but I'm not sure it's a guarantee. Maybe that could be the problem?

With the PSP, I have the component cable, and have hooked my PSP up to a large TV, and it doesn't run the game in full screen. Not sure why it can't just output the video signal, and the TV could do whatever it has to do, but it doesn't run in full screen. I wonder if the Vita would be any different?

I figured it would stretch it out and be done with it. If it looks great awesome, if not ohh well.

I was really wanting this feature, in fact I don't own a PSP but the idea of buying one and using it for games, movies, and possibly emulation of prior consoles is very appealing.

With the Vita I was hoping to add a new element to my Sony gaming...Ohh well.
spinksjinx is offline  
post #44 of 139 Old 04-11-2012, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 5,995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNPalmer View Post


I did over estimate the value of the 8GB card though. Might have gotten confused with the 16GB cost. Although, I'd really like to have the 32GB card from Amazon but the $88 investment is a little hard to justify at the moment.


Well, there is the standard MSRP that you see for the memory cards at Best Buy and Target, etc, etc. 4 gig = $19.99, 8 gig = $29.99, 16 gig = $59.99 and 32 gig at $99.99.

Their actual value on the secondary market dips dramatically. You'll have a hard time getting more than $9 or $10 for a 4 gig card, and about $19 to $23 for a 8 gig card. 16 gig cards go for about $45, and the big 32 gig card goes for about $75. I'm talking about the secondary market. When I think of values of stuff, I try to think, "How much money could I get for this if I had to sell it off? ". Right now, I'm selling a 4 gig card for $12 and a 32 gig card for $69. So far, they are both still available, which means, I could still have to price them lower to try to sell em. I'm amazed I have't sold the 32 gig card yet, because I think $69 is a good deal for that. I've gotten a few bites, but mostly craigslist lowballers. I could just take my stuff to Ebay, but Ebay basically takes a 20 to 30 percent cut, which is very painful.
Anthony1 is offline  
post #45 of 139 Old 04-11-2012, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
confidenceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Just saw one locally for $260 (obo) with a 32gb card. You were totally right. It's a buyers' market. These things are dropping fast. Really close to making the jump.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
confidenceman is offline  
post #46 of 139 Old 04-11-2012, 06:54 PM
Member
 
Christian Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNPalmer View Post


@Christian,
If you want, you can keep an eye out in my area (Western MA on CL) and if something comes up that you want I could pick it up & mail it for you all thru PayPal so you don't miss out on a good deal.

Thanks. Nice of you to offer.
Christian Smith is offline  
post #47 of 139 Old 04-11-2012, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dragonyeuw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Just saw one locally for $260 (obo) with a 32gb card. You were totally right. It's a buyers' market. These things are dropping fast. Really close to making the jump.

There is literally no demand. Reportedly the Vita sold just under 9000 the last week.

In all honesty, not quite sure why people are selling the thing this early. Giving up after a month? There's nothing out of the ordinary about the Vita's launch, in fact one could argue that it had a superior game lineup to most other console launches in recent memory. Perhaps people are looking at the slim release schedule and getting cold feet?

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

dragonyeuw is offline  
post #48 of 139 Old 04-12-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
confidenceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

In all honesty, not quite sure why people are selling the thing this early. Giving up after a month? There's nothing out of the ordinary about the Vita's launch, in fact one could argue that it had a superior game lineup to most other console launches in recent memory. Perhaps people are looking at the slim release schedule and getting cold feet?

I think the impulse buyers are doing their usual thing. But usually at this point in a device's life, those impulse buyers are usually able to recoup more of their investment. Lucky for the rest of us. But I may wait this out even longer and see how low prices go since they seem to still be in freefall.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
confidenceman is offline  
post #49 of 139 Old 04-12-2012, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dragonyeuw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

I think the impulse buyers are doing their usual thing. But usually at this point in a device's life, those impulse buyers are usually able to recoup more of their investment. Lucky for the rest of us. But I may wait this out even longer and see how low prices go since they seem to still be in freefall.

Sony needs to get in gear quick, whatever they're doing, because judging from some of the boards there's a lot of 'doom' and 'gloom' and predictions of failure. Poor perception for a console that's just over a month old in the global marketplace.... there just isn't any momentum for this thing right now.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

dragonyeuw is offline  
post #50 of 139 Old 04-12-2012, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 5,995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

There is literally no demand. Reportedly the Vita sold just under 9000 the last week.

Was that in Japan? How did you get the US numbers?


Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

In all honesty, not quite sure why people are selling the thing this early. Giving up after a month? There's nothing out of the ordinary about the Vita's launch, in fact one could argue that it had a superior game lineup to most other console launches in recent memory. Perhaps people are looking at the slim release schedule and getting cold feet?

My guess, is that there is a number of early adopters that got caught up in the launch hype, and bought it more as an impulse type thing. The honeymoon period has worn off for some of these people, and they have more pressing issues such as paying rent, buying books for school, wanting a new Ipad instead... stuff like that.

But yeah, those people are taking a HUGE loss on their initial investment. I feel for them, because I've been in that boat before myself.


Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

. But I may wait this out even longer and see how low prices go since they seem to still be in freefall.

Well, I don't think the prices are going to fall too much lower anytime soon. Right now, if you're patient, you can get a Wi-Fi Vita for around $170 ish (if you buy it in a bundle with a few games and memory card, etc). The 3G Vita's are going for about $190 ish (again, in a bundle with a few games and mem card). Will the value of the system fall even lower than that? I don't think it will get much lower than that. Even if at e3 Sony does the smart thing and drops the price of each unit $50, and includes a 4 gig mem card as standard with every unit.

Typically what happens in the secondary market after a price drop, it takes a LONG time for the prices in the secondary market to reflect the new price drop. It's amazing how that works, but I've seen it happen many times first hand. You'd expect the secondary market to quickly react to the price drop, and for everybody to lower the prices of their used hardware accordingly, but it takes a long time for that to happen, for whatever reason. One thing that will happen after the price drop, is that all these people on Craigslist that are trying to sell their Vita packages for $350 or $400, they will have to come down to planet Earth and realize the truth of the matter. It will be a huge shock for those people. Instead of pricing their stuff at $400, and then ultimately selling it for $220, they will have to have a much more realistic starting price.

You'd think, that if you could get a Wi-Fi Vita right now for about $170 ish (if you are patient and look for the right deal), then after an official $50 price drop you should get it for $120.... Right? Unfortunately, this doesn't happen. Instead, you get the Vita for maybe $160 or $150, a savings of only another 10 or 20 bucks. Nowhere near that 50 dollar drop for the official unit.
Anthony1 is offline  
post #51 of 139 Old 04-12-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
number1laing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,993
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

Sony needs to get in gear quick, whatever they're doing, because judging from some of the boards there's a lot of 'doom' and 'gloom' and predictions of failure. Poor perception for a console that's just over a month old in the global marketplace.... there just isn't any momentum for this thing right now.

The stuff coming from the Vita crowd is exactly the same as the stuff that came from the 3DS crowd, and we all know what happened there.

If anything, the 3DS crowd had more optimism, because Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 were inevitable and guaranteed to be great and system-sellers. There is nothing comparable on the Vita. Gravity Daze is not going to move systems and Bioshock is vaporware.
number1laing is offline  
post #52 of 139 Old 04-12-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
confidenceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

Sony needs to get in gear quick, whatever they're doing, because judging from some of the boards there's a lot of 'doom' and 'gloom' and predictions of failure. Poor perception for a console that's just over a month old in the global marketplace.... there just isn't any momentum for this thing right now.

The worse news is that Sony overall is dying. They just announced a new corporate initiative to focus on their gaming and mobile divisions (since that's the only place they're making any money) along with major cuts to other divisions--something on the order of 10,000 jobs. Hopefully this means they'll be realigning their efforts behind Vita because now all of their eggs are going into just a couple of baskets.

If Vita fails, so too might Sony. So they'll either fold or double down. Probably means it's worth waiting to see what Sony does.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Was that in Japan? How did you get the US numbers?

Yeah, those were sales numbers for Japan. Weekly figures had been hovering around 10,000 for the last few weeks, and then this past week they fell even further to just below 9,000.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
confidenceman is offline  
post #53 of 139 Old 04-12-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dragonyeuw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Was that in Japan? How did you get the US numbers?


My bad, it could very well have been the Japanese numbers. I'll have to check out the board I got that info from. Probably should have made absolutely sure the region before saying anything.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

dragonyeuw is offline  
post #54 of 139 Old 04-12-2012, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dragonyeuw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post


If anything, the 3DS crowd had more optimism, because Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 were inevitable and guaranteed to be great and system-sellers. There is nothing comparable on the Vita. Gravity Daze is not going to move systems and Bioshock is vaporware.

That's just it, Sony has some good exclusives, but do they attract the same kind of dedicated fanbase that Mario and Zelda has? I'd reckon not. Would I buy Uncharted, God of War, Wipeout and so forth if I owned a Vita? Absolutely. Would I buy a Vita JUST to play those games? Not really....of course YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

The worse news is that Sony overall is dying. They just announced a new corporate initiative to focus on their gaming and mobile divisions (since that's the only place they're making any money) along with major cuts to other divisions--something on the order of 10,000 jobs. Hopefully this means they'll be realigning their efforts behind Vita because now all of their eggs are going into just a couple of baskets.

If Vita fails, so too might Sony. So they'll either fold or double down. Probably means it's worth waiting to see what Sony does.


Yep, here's an article from Gamespot about this:



Sony focusing on games to revitalize
April 12, 2012 6:40AM PDT
Eddie Makuch
By Eddie Makuch, News Editor
Follow

Technology giant introduces "One Sony" plan aiming to help company return to profitabilty with focus on game business unit; 10,000 layoffs confirmed.

Sony will focus in part on games to help the company return to profitability, the technology giant announced today, after it was reported the firm would suffer a $6.4 billion full-year net loss and cut as many as 10,000 jobs.
Sony is looking to games to turn the ship around

Sony is looking to games to turn the ship around

Titled the "One Sony" approach, the initiative plans to focus Sony's efforts on its three core business units: digital imaging, game, and mobile. The company's plan is to generate about 70 percent of total sales and 85 percent of operating income from these business sectors by fiscal 2014.

In the game unit, Sony said it plans to continue to deliver "exhilarating entertainment experiences" for the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita, as well as leverage its other gaming endeavors like accessories and peripherals. Sony will also aim to increase sales by adding new titles and subscription services to the PlayStation Network.

Additionally, Sony will beef up the slate of PlayStation Suite devices and content in an effort to spur sales. In sum, Sony said it is targeting its game business to record ¥1 trillion ($12.33 billion) and an operating income margin of 8 percent by fiscal 2014.

Outside of gaming, the company's One Sony plan aims to bolster sales by restructuring its television sector, expanding its business opportunities in emerging markets like India and Mexico, creating all-new businesses, and realigning its portfolio and optimizing resources.

Elsewhere in the One Sony plan, Sony confirmed it had cut 10,000 jobs, with the total bill for restructuring costs estimated to total ¥75 billion ($930 million).



From a gaming standpoint, this is a good thing if it means Sony is consolidating their efforts moreso towards the divisions actually making them money. It's very unfortunate about the job losses, though....

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

dragonyeuw is offline  
post #55 of 139 Old 04-12-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
confidenceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
The other possible wrench in the works: one of the reasons that Sony is saying they had to revise their 2011 numbers (nearly doubling their expected losses) was because of a price cut to the PS3. That might mean that investors will put pressure on Sony not to lower the price of the Vita. Sony is going to have to get really creative at incentivizing it.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
confidenceman is offline  
post #56 of 139 Old 04-12-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
number1laing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,993
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

That's just it, Sony has some good exclusives, but do they attract the same kind of dedicated fanbase that Mario and Zelda has? I'd reckon not. Would I buy Uncharted, God of War, Wipeout and so forth if I owned a Vita? Absolutely. Would I buy a Vita JUST to play those games? Not really....of course YMMV.

I would say the only Sony franchise that really has a passionate fanbase and moves tons of units and hardware is Gran Turismo. What are the chances we get a legit GT Vita (not like the stripped down PSP game) anytime soon? I guarantee it'd move hardware. But we know how Polyphony works.

Sony systems have historically done well on third party games. They got lucky with Monster Hunter in Japan, but that's not exclusive anymore. So MH Vita won't do what MH PSP did.

And I don't see the COD crowd running to get a Vita, it just doesn't seem like a portable game crowd.
number1laing is offline  
post #57 of 139 Old 04-12-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dragonyeuw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

The other possible wrench in the works: one of the reasons that Sony is saying they had to revise their 2011 numbers (nearly doubling their expected losses) was because of a price cut to the PS3. That might mean that investors will put pressure on Sony not to lower the price of the Vita. Sony is going to have to get really creative at incentivizing it.

Interesting...yeah no wiggle room there. I still think it's a heck of a lot easier for them to bundle in a 4gb card with the wi-fi model, seeing as the 3g model comes with the 8gb. Personally, I'm fine with paying $249 for the system, and I would like to buy some cheap PSN games for it. But I'm not subscribing to their ridiculous pricing for the higher capacity storage cards. If Sony is serious about pushing DD, they've got to make storage more affordable.

Having said that, since they're realigning their resources to focus more on gaming, perhaps that will give them some breathing room to offer some decent incentives and not hurt their bottomline. For example, $249 wifi model with 4gb card and $20 PSN credit bundle. How feasible would something like that be? They've got to try something to drum up interest.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

dragonyeuw is offline  
post #58 of 139 Old 04-12-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
confidenceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

Sony systems have historically done well on third party games. They got lucky with Monster Hunter in Japan, but that's not exclusive anymore. So MH Vita won't do what MH PSP did.

The problem is that the PSP soured third parties to Sony's portable devices. It's an uphill battle to get them back on board. There's been a lot of talk, but so far not much to show for it other than ports of console games. Again, we'll see at E3.

Quote:
And I don't see the COD crowd running to get a Vita, it just doesn't seem like a portable game crowd.

If Sony could get a CoD-quality FPS running online without considerable lag, they'd be minting gold.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
confidenceman is offline  
post #59 of 139 Old 04-12-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dragonyeuw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

I would say the only Sony franchise that really has a passionate fanbase and moves tons of units and hardware is Gran Turismo. What are the chances we get a legit GT Vita (not like the stripped down PSP game) anytime soon? I guarantee it'd move hardware. But we know how Polyphony works.

I'm sure, based on what I've seen of the Vita, that it's perfectly capable of producing a full GT experience. I'm not much into that franchise myself, but that would certainly move units. I'll make a slight correction to what I said earlier; I would buy a Vita for Uncharted, as I love that series( as does my wife and son). But I wouldn't pay $49 for a portable version of it, and I've heard mixed things about Golden Cradle......

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

dragonyeuw is offline  
post #60 of 139 Old 04-12-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dragonyeuw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

The problem is that the PSP soured third parties to Sony's portable devices.

Which would certainly explain the rather paltry trickling out of 3rd party games over the coming months, just looking at the release schedule. As you say, alot of ports of PS3/360 games, but I don't see any evidence that developers are prepared to invest in creating some original Vita-specific IPs. They're very much in wait-and-see mode ( I'm assuming they want to see how 'hack-proof' Vita is as far as game piracy goes?) and of course wanting the user-base to expand considerably before taking any risks.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

dragonyeuw is offline  
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off