Vita's are going for cheap prices on Craigslist... - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 139 Old 04-12-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
confidenceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

Which would certainly explain the rather paltry trickling out of 3rd party games over the coming months, just looking at the release schedule. As you say, alot of ports of PS3/360 games, but I don't see any evidence that developers are prepared to invest in creating some original Vita-specific IPs. They're very much in wait-and-see mode ( I'm assuming they want to see how 'hack-proof' Vita is as far as game piracy goes?) and of course wanting the user-base to expand considerably before taking any risks.

And the same third parties that used to devote resources to portables have moved their energies to mobile. The 3DS does well with its dedicated Japanese developers (both first and third party), but not so much with mobile-focused Western developers. The Vita's best bet is to get strong Japanese developer support (JRPGs, Monster Hunter, etc), but the Vita is selling like junk in Japan, so I don't see that happening.

Sony's really got their work cut out for them in winning over third-party publishers.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
confidenceman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 139 Old 04-12-2012, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dragonyeuw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post


Sony's really got their work cut out for them in winning over third-party publishers.

Funny that, considering how third parties were like moths to a flame for, most notably, ps1/ps2. I'm very curious to see their plan for attracting them to Vita. Perhaps Sony is doing all this realigning and reorganizing to free up $$$ to throw at those publishers?

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

dragonyeuw is offline  
post #63 of 139 Old 04-13-2012, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 5,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

Funny that, considering how third parties were like moths to a flame for, most notably, ps1/ps2. I'm very curious to see their plan for attracting them to Vita. Perhaps Sony is doing all this realigning and reorganizing to free up $$$ to throw at those publishers?


Well, everybody knows that Sony has a PS4 that will likely be ready to go head to head with Microsoft next year. The leaks have been all over the place in regards to PS4. If publishers want an early dev kit for PS4, Sony could require them to make a PS Vita game. Obviously, they wouldn't do this with all the huge developers that they NEED to be working on the PS4, but any of the lower tier publishers, they could use a "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" philosophy.
Anthony1 is offline  
post #64 of 139 Old 04-13-2012, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
confidenceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

If publishers want an early dev kit for PS4, Sony could require them to make a PS Vita game. Obviously, they wouldn't do this with all the huge developers that they NEED to be working on the PS4, but any of the lower tier publishers, they could use a "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" philosophy.

But why would a lower-tier publisher want to do this? It would cost them more money. They'd simply go to another platform. There are far more platform competitors now than there were five years ago, and many of them are incredibly cheap to develop for.

At this point, Sony needs to do everything they can to win publishers over, not scare them away. The only solution is for Sony to open up the platform as much as possible. But their history with hackers (PSN) and pirates (PSP) has scared them away from open-ness.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
confidenceman is offline  
post #65 of 139 Old 04-13-2012, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dragonyeuw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
http://www.gamestop.com/collection/s...0DK6moSZixw11w

Gamestop deal from Apr 13-26: Buy a Vita, get a free game( choose between Wipeout, Modracers, Hot shots golf) and a free case.

I'm weakening......slowly.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

dragonyeuw is offline  
post #66 of 139 Old 04-13-2012, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
confidenceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

http://www.gamestop.com/collection/s...0DK6moSZixw11w

Gamestop deal from Apr 13-26: Buy a Vita, get a free game( choose between Wipeout, Modracers, Hot shots golf) and a free case.

I'm weakening......slowly.

I think the deals will be better in a few months. And there will be more features and games to make it worthwhile. I think I'm back in the camp that was waiting. Now that rough sales estimates for March are rolling in (~200k in the US), we'll start seeing a bigger push from Sony and retailers.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
confidenceman is offline  
post #67 of 139 Old 04-14-2012, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 5,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

But why would a lower-tier publisher want to do this? It would cost them more money. They'd simply go to another platform. There are far more platform competitors now than there were five years ago, and many of them are incredibly cheap to develop for.

Well, it's been proven that there is a real opportunity for publishers to launch a brand new franchise during the early days of a consoles lifecycle. A franchise that could become a powerhouse type franchise for the publisher and developer. With the 360, you had Oblivion, which was supposed to be a launch game, but got delayed a couple of months, but was still a very early 360 game. Oblivion became a force for Bethesda, who wasn't the largest gaming company at that particular time. Look at them now.

The PS3 saw the birth of Motorstrom. Motorstorm is a game that has been very successful for Evolution Studios, so much so in fact, that Sony ended up buying them outright.

Basically, the point I'm trying to make, is that when you have a brand new gaming console, there is always that chance to come out with a new IP, and grow that IP along with that new console, and the possibility of that IP becoming a huge force in gaming.
Anthony1 is offline  
post #68 of 139 Old 04-14-2012, 12:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
iamkoza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 827
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

http://www.gamestop.com/collection/s...0DK6moSZixw11w

Gamestop deal from Apr 13-26: Buy a Vita, get a free game( choose between Wipeout, Modracers, Hot shots golf) and a free case.

I'm weakening......slowly.

i like the other deal they have, the simulview 3d tv and two games and two glasses for $299.... if I were freshman year of college I'd jump all of that deal... but I don't have anyplace to put that tv now.
iamkoza is offline  
post #69 of 139 Old 04-14-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
confidenceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Basically, the point I'm trying to make, is that when you have a brand new gaming console, there is always that chance to come out with a new IP, and grow that IP along with that new console, and the possibility of that IP becoming a huge force in gaming.

Absolutely. I just don't think Sony will force PS3 publishers into doing it.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
confidenceman is offline  
post #70 of 139 Old 04-19-2012, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dragonyeuw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

http://www.gamestop.com/collection/s...0DK6moSZixw11w

Gamestop deal from Apr 13-26: Buy a Vita, get a free game( choose between Wipeout, Modracers, Hot shots golf) and a free case.

I'm weakening......slowly.


Well......guess I was weak enough. I was on holiday in NYC this weekend and took advantage of this deal. I'm going to sell off Wipeout and the case though, not big into that series so may as well sell it while I can get something decent for it, and the case is kinda crappy. Picked up an 8gb card too and put some demos, videos, and the free games on it.

Now I'm waiting for some of the launch software to drop to $20( I'm looking at you Rayman Origins, Blazblue, Hotshots Golf and Lumines), and based off what I've seen and played, Gravity Rush is a definite purchase as well as Resistance......

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

dragonyeuw is offline  
post #71 of 139 Old 04-19-2012, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 5,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post


Now I'm waiting for some of the launch software to drop to $20( I'm looking at you Rayman Origins, Blazblue, Hotshots Golf and Lumines), and based off what I've seen and played, Gravity Rush is a definite purchase as well as Resistance......


Why didn't you just get Hot Shots golf with it then? The most you'll be able to sell Wipeout for is about $23 or $24 max, and if you sell it via Ebay they take about 20 percent of that in fees.

As for the other games, if you check Craigslist, you can sometimes find Vita games from anywhere as cheap as 17 bucks (Little Deviants), up to 30 bucks for Uncharted. Most games sell for around $22 to $24 used. A few games use the online pass, so be careful when it comes to that. Hot Shots Golf is one of the games that uses the online pass. (wipeout, MLB and Unit 13 are the others). If the online pass has been used in those games, chop another $10 off it's price.

On Ebay, most of the games go for about $25 or $26 each, with shipping, if you are patient.
Anthony1 is offline  
post #72 of 139 Old 04-19-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dragonyeuw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Why didn't you just get Hot Shots golf with it then?

There's a little bit of a story there:

1st Gamestop I visited opposite Macy's on 34th St. didn't have the free case, and couldn't do the deal until they got more in. Neither did the GS across the street in Manhattan Mall. I was staying with friends in New Jersey, so wound up going to a GS in that area. That store only had one copy of Hot Shots, and it was gutted but still being sold as 'new'( which I loathe). That left Wipeout and Modracers, neither of which I'm that interested in, but figured Wipeout would have greater appeal and resale value. Having said that, a co-worker of mine has Wipeout and he says it's really good, so who knows maybe I'll be inspired enough by the demo to hang onto it.

In addition to what I mentioned earlier, I'm interested in Mortal Kombat as well, but since I own the 360 version already I'm not paying $40 for the Vita version( mind you, my threshold for handheld games is $30). Interested in Silent Hill book of memories as well, hopefully it turns out good.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

dragonyeuw is offline  
post #73 of 139 Old 04-19-2012, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 5,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

There's a little bit of a story there:

1st Gamestop I visited opposite Macy's on 34th St. didn't have the free case, and couldn't do the deal until they got more in. Neither did the GS across the street in Manhattan Mall. I was staying with friends in New Jersey, so wound up going to a GS in that area. That store only had one copy of Hot Shots, and it was gutted but still being sold as 'new'( which I loathe). That left Wipeout and Modracers, neither of which I'm that interested in, but figured Wipeout would have greater appeal and resale value. Having said that, a co-worker of mine has Wipeout and he says it's really good, so who knows maybe I'll be inspired enough by the demo to hang onto it.

In addition to what I mentioned earlier, I'm interested in Mortal Kombat as well, but since I own the 360 version already I'm not paying $40 for the Vita version( mind you, my threshold for handheld games is $30). Interested in Silent Hill book of memories as well, hopefully it turns out good.

If you haven't already opened that Wipeout, just take your receipt to another GameStop that has a factory sealed copy of Hot Shots. I'm sure they can swap the games somehow. In the long run, you'll probably be better off doing that, instead of trying to sell Wipeout and buy another used copy of Hot Shots that has an unused code.

As for your threshold being 30 bucks, you should try lowering that a bit. Try not to pay more than $26 for portable games. If you buy on Craiglist and Ebay and are patient, you can definitely get all your games for $26 or less. I will admit that I'm EXTREMELY tempted by Resistance. At the same time, I never pay full price, but this might be one time in which I actually do it. When Resistance comes out, it will definitely be the highest priced Vita game on the secondary market as well. Will probably go for $35 or so. Gravity Days and Mortal Kombat will probably go for $30 for awhile on the secondary market.
Anthony1 is offline  
post #74 of 139 Old 04-20-2012, 03:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dragonyeuw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

If you haven't already opened that Wipeout, just take your receipt to another GameStop that has a factory sealed copy of Hot Shots. I'm sure they can swap the games somehow. In the long run, you'll probably be better off doing that, instead of trying to sell Wipeout and buy another used copy of Hot Shots that has an unused code.

As for your threshold being 30 bucks, you should try lowering that a bit. Try not to pay more than $26 for portable games. If you buy on Craiglist and Ebay and are patient, you can definitely get all your games for $26 or less. I will admit that I'm EXTREMELY tempted by Resistance. At the same time, I never pay full price, but this might be one time in which I actually do it. When Resistance comes out, it will definitely be the highest priced Vita game on the secondary market as well. Will probably go for $35 or so. Gravity Days and Mortal Kombat will probably go for $30 for awhile on the secondary market.

Unfortunately going to another GameStop isn't an option. I live outside North America, and there's no GS store where I'm from. I actually picked up the vita the night before I left, so there was no time for me to exchange.

As to your second point, I'd prefer to directly support the developers as much as possible as opposed to buying on the used market. I'm past the point in my life where I need to buy a game at launch, and with games dropping in price so fast nowadays, many are in that $25-30 range within a few months anyway.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

dragonyeuw is offline  
post #75 of 139 Old 04-20-2012, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
iamkoza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 827
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just picked up my used vita on CL, came with fifa soccer and uncharted, 8gb card wifi version vita, a nerf case and the official PS carrying case.... got all that for $210.

Funny, though, just one run through the ps store with demos and free games and I only have less than 3 gb left on that card....
iamkoza is offline  
post #76 of 139 Old 04-20-2012, 05:40 AM
Senior Member
 
gpthree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Outside PHL
Posts: 372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
This thread got me to looking for one on craigslist and I was able to find a new in box 3g Vita for $200. Not too bad a deal. Been messing around with Little Big Planet on it.

Consider the unparalleled advantage, of a natural disaster that's impossible to manage.
gpthree is offline  
post #77 of 139 Old 05-16-2012, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 5,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Update: It seems that prices on Craigslist are getting EVEN lower. It's not unheard of to get a Wi-Fi Vita for $150 or a 3G Vita for $170. Also, you can probably get a 4 gig memory card, and 2 misc games for about $200 which is even more of a value if the 2 games are 2 games you'd really want.


Of course, this is a YMMV type thing. It depends on whats happening in your neck of the woods. I can tell you that where I am, in the capitol of California, there are TONS of people selling used Vita's, and they are all competing against each other. If I really wanted a Vita, I could easily get a bare bones Vita for $160, or if I throw out $200, I could get a Vita with 2 games and a 4 gig mem card, and maybe even a slim case.

It's a bit depressing to me, because when I originally bought my Vita, I thought I was getting it for a very low price, but ultimately I jumped into the Vita market about 40 days too soon. I paid $197 for my 3G Vita hardware, and I could probably get that for $170 right now, without much difficulty. Oh wells....


Of course, with a price drop imminent, peeps might want to hold off until after e3 to buy a Vita, because I'd be pretty surprised if the price doesn't drop $50 on both units. The secondary market price isn't going to drop an additional $50, but they will fall by another $10 I'd guess. So, $140 for the Wi-Fi and $160 for the 3G.

It could take the Craigslist market about 60 days to truly react to the price drop. Ebay reacts MUCH faster.
Anthony1 is offline  
post #78 of 139 Old 05-17-2012, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mboojigga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Little Rock AFB, Arkansas
Posts: 7,967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 435
I just don't see Sony in a position to drop the price when they are dealing with money loss now. The strategy of dropping the price isn't going to work the same as how it did for Nintendo. If they are making money on the Vita they are not going to want to start losing money just to gain sales on the hardware. They need to increase software and accessories. If they drop the price and software & accessories don't increase they have no options after that.

The 5.0 is here
mboojigga is online now  
post #79 of 139 Old 05-17-2012, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
Princeismyname's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Vita IMO is an impressive device but it should be priced $59.99 tops. Games should be $9.99 and mem cards should be $5-20. Right noe the prices are highway robbery.
Princeismyname is offline  
post #80 of 139 Old 05-17-2012, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
defdog99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeismyname View Post

Vita IMO is an impressive device but it should be priced $59.99 tops. Games should be $9.99 and mem cards should be $5-20. Right noe the prices are highway robbery.

That's funny. You cant even buy a 25 year old donkeykong game from the WII store for under $10.

The Vita should be priced like an ipod 32Gig Touch.
Where oled feature negates 32 Gig feature.

(the 11 inch sony oled tv was selling for $2500)
defdog99 is offline  
post #81 of 139 Old 05-17-2012, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
Princeismyname's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by defdog99 View Post

That's funny. You cant even buy a 25 year old donkeykong game from the WII store for under $10.

The Vita should be priced like an ipod 32Gig Touch.
Where oled feature negates 32 Gig feature.

(the 11 inch sony oled tv was selling for $2500)

I have my reasons why i think that.

Sony shoild have learned their lesson from PsP and pspgo. No one will pay console prices for a handheld. Handheld is a dying market, this is 2012 now, most people will just play on their phones and tablets cause they are much more useful in many other ways. They serve a much wider purpose to the customer than just gaming.

Why do you think you always see so many used vitas online for sale? People just dont handheld game anymore. Ive asked em all why theyre selling and its cause its too expemsive for little use. They buy, use for a day and collect dust.

And that is why the games should be 9.99. No one will pay $40-50 for a handheld game, are you kidding me? Its like paying $20 for an app. Ridiculous.

Handheld gaming is for a very small niche market. If somy wants to sell to the casual gamer they need to sell the vitas for $59.99.

Besides what people tend to forget is that most people who have iphones amd ipads or tablets, got them on a plan so they pnly paid a fraction of the units worth.

These devices do a million more things thus making it much more useful and versatile to the consumer. So the average persom ismt going to carry around another unit that is mainly used for gaming, let alone spend $300 plus on it.

This isnt year 2000 anymore, handheld gaming isnt what it used to be

I know the gaming experience isnt as good on an ios device as the vita, but thats not my point. My point is, 99% of people arent going to see any benefit by spending $300+ in getting a vita and have to lug around yet another device when they can just do it all on their current handhelds - phone, tablet, whatever.

Its just how the world has changed in the past 5 years. I cant even remember the last time ive seen someone in public playing on their psp or DS, its cause handheld gaming is a dying breed. Yet I see just about everyone playing on their phones and tablets.

Until people see more use out of a vita, they wont buy it and that would explain the poor sales. And hate to break it to you but who the hell would choose to surf the net on a vita over their tablet? No one.

Ive known a few PSP owners inthe past (hence I say past cause they all have sold their PSPs due to no usage) and none of them brought their PSPs with them anywhere. Why? Cause they didnt want to carry around another device when their phones or tabs could do it.

And for the vita to sell with no onboard memory., how retarded is that? Its like selling ipads with no memory, and charging for a mem card. Do you think that would fly with the consumer?

Im surprised Somy hasnt learned from their past mistakes, pspgo being the most recent. The $250+ for handheld console just garners no interest.
Princeismyname is offline  
post #82 of 139 Old 05-17-2012, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 5,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

I just don't see Sony in a position to drop the price when they are dealing with money loss now. The strategy of dropping the price isn't going to work the same as how it did for Nintendo. If they are making money on the Vita they are not going to want to start losing money just to gain sales on the hardware. They need to increase software and accessories. If they drop the price and software & accessories don't increase they have no options after that.


Unfortunately for Sony, they don't really have a choice. The only other option is to include some free games with the Vita purchase, but I just don't think tactics like that move hardware like dropping the official price does. Sony NEEDS a Vita at retail for $199.99 or less. Over the last 30 years or so, it's been proven in electronics that if you can get your price to $199, sales typically improve quite a bit. There is something psychological about seeing that 1 digit at the beginning of the 199 price. It's only 1 penny below 200, but there is some psychological thing that goes along with that, to make people think it's cheaper.

One issue that Sony is going to have to deal with however, is the fact that they really only have one shot to get this right. They need the 50 dollar price drop to have the maximum impact, and I'm not sure if dropping it in the summer is going to have the impact that they are looking for. Madden 13 is coming to the Vita on August 28th or something like that, so they might want to time the Vita price drop with the release of that game. Or.... they might want to wait till around late October for the price drop, and hope that it will jump start their momentum heading into the November/December time frame.

If Sony decides that announcing the price drop at e3 isn't the best timing, then I would expect them to at least offer a special bundle. Maybe they will work something out with retailers where if you buy a Vita, you can pick any single game that you want for free. So, somebody could walk into a Gamestop, get a Vita, and walk out with Resistance or Gravity Days or whatever, for free. That would be a decent incentive. Then the price drop could come a bit later, to time it for maximum damage
Anthony1 is offline  
post #83 of 139 Old 05-17-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dragonyeuw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeismyname View Post

Vita IMO is an impressive device but it should be priced $59.99 tops.

...........................

Last I heard, 3ds was outpacing DS in terms of sales at the same point in its life. I agree 100% that IOS/android gaming on tablets and smartphones has taken a slice of the handheld market. There is, however, still a market for those who want physical buttons, and IPs that can only be found on a Nintendo/Sony device. The Vita will sell better when the price drops( no, not to $59.99, that's a wee bit extreme), memory card prices drop and some more compelling software comes out. 3DS was selling like crap at the same point last spring/summer; a price-cut to $169 and some decent games came out worthy of plucking down the $$$ for a console increased sales dramatically.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

dragonyeuw is offline  
post #84 of 139 Old 05-17-2012, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 5,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeismyname View Post

Why do you think you always see so many used vitas online for sale? People just dont handheld game anymore. Ive asked em all why theyre selling and its cause its too expemsive for little use. They buy, use for a day and collect dust.

I've thought about why people would be selling their Vita's so early in it's lifespan, and a number of reasons come to mind:

1. They need money bad - Maybe they lost their job, can't afford this months rent, etc, etc. Just need the money and are selling off anything that can generate some quick cash.

2. The honeymoon period is over for them, and they'd rather get some cash. It's true that after about a month or so with a Vita, the honeymoon period kinda fades away, and it's just another portable gaming system, albeit a very good one.

3. They fear that the Vita is headed in the same direction as Nintendo's Virtual Boy. Basically, that Sony will actually simply give up on the Vita. They want to jump ship before the ship goes underwater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeismyname View Post

And that is why the games should be 9.99. No one will pay $40-50 for a handheld game, are you kidding me? Its like paying $20 for an app. Ridiculous.

Well, the $39.99 and $49.99 prices are a bit redonkulous, I will certainly agree with that, but asking the games to be $9.99 each is a bit redonkulous as well. That's simply not going to happen. The games should be $29.99 and $24.99, with an occasional game at $34.99. Also, Sony should have more games in the $19.99 price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeismyname View Post

Handheld gaming is for a very small niche market. If somy wants to sell to the casual gamer they need to sell the vitas for $59.99.

Ok, put down the lighter... and slowly back away from your 3 foot bong. $59.99 ? Are you freaking serious? I mean, come on bro.... That's just asinine to even mention such a thing.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeismyname View Post

I know the gaming experience isnt as good on an ios device as the vita, but thats not my point. My point is, 99% of people arent going to see any benefit by spending $300+ in getting a vita and have to lug around yet another device when they can just do it all on their current handhelds - phone, tablet, whatever.

Well, I will admit that the price is just too high in this current market. It's pretty obvious that the price is too high based on the sales numbers. However, you seem to forget that there is a larger market for Vita than just adults who already have smartphones and tablets. The kids man... the kids! The freakin kids....

Yeah, I know that tons of kids are playing games on the ipod touch and stuff like that. Heck, my 9 year old son has an ipod touch, and most of his friends at school have one. Still, when my 9 year old sees me playing the Vita, he always wants to play it, and he knows that true gameplay needs buttons. Sure, he can have fun with Tiny wings and Angry Birds, etc, etc, but serious gaming requires buttons. He loves Fifa on my Vita, and he would never want to play something like that on a device with no buttons. I have a 9 year old and an 11 year old, and both would absolutely love to have a Vita. Every time they go to their Grampa's house, or we go on a drive somewhere, they always bring their ipod touch or 3DS. (the eleven year old has the 3DS). However, if they had a Vita, they would choose to bring that instead. Sony could still sell millions and millions of Vita's to kids like this, all over the world.
Anthony1 is offline  
post #85 of 139 Old 05-17-2012, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
defdog99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Huge dearth of games and it doesnt help they gave one of them away for free (rc racers).

1) hotshots is the only game that has long lasting replayability. I've seen the credits twice, but I've only got 13 crowns. This will take a long time to beat.

2) they need to update the vita store. It's entirely hard finding "new games". I have to jump on the PS3 to see the new stuff easier.

3) I never followed the PSP, so I'd like to see a "best sellers" or "highest rated" for the PSP apps inside the vita store.
Took research on the inet to learn about GoW: sparta, etc.
defdog99 is offline  
post #86 of 139 Old 05-17-2012, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 5,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 148
The idea that the Vita has a huge dearth of games just doesn't ring true with me. The launch lineup is outstanding, as far as launch lineups are concerned. Perhaps, Sony made a mistake by releasing too many good games right at launch, and should have had the games spaced out better. If you compare the lineup of games between the Vita and the 3DS in their respective time frames, the Vita lineup KILLS the 3DS lineup in every way and fashion. It's not even close. I don't think anybody remembers how crappy the 3DS launch games were.

The Vita had a very strong launch lineup.

Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Fifa Soccer
Wipeout 2047
MLB 12 The Show
Rayman Origins
Super Stardust Delta (download)
Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack (download)
Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational


Those 8 games are all 8.5 or 9.0 type games. An argument can be made that Fifa Soccer is a 9.5 game.


The Vita has a nice group of "Very Good" games as well. These games would be worthy of 8.5's or 8.0:

Lumines: Electric Symphony
Virtua Tennis 4: World Tour Edition
Plants vs. Zombies Vita Edition (download)
Unit 13
Escape Plan (download)


Then there is another batch of "Good" games. Games that would score a 7.5 or 7.0:

ModNation Racers: Road Trip
Hustle Kings (download)
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
Motorstorm RC (free download)
Treasures of Montezuma Blitz (free download)


Also, you have the recent releases of Mortal Kombat and Disgaea 3 to rank in there. Some think Mortal Kombat would rank in the very top category, giving Vita 9 "elite" games. Some think MK would rank in the very good category, giving Vita another 6 Very Good games. As for Disgaea 3, it could rank in either the Very Good, or just Good categories. Any way you slice it, there are 21 games on Vita that are anywhere from "good" to "outstanding". That's a pretty good selection of games.

Having said that, I know that most of those games only appeal to small segments of the gaming population. Only a handful of them have broad based appeal. If you have no interest in playing a soccer game, then it really doesn't matter if Fifa Soccer is the best portable sports game EVER made. If you have no interest in playing a baseball game, you would care less that MLB 12 is one of the best portable baseball games to ever come along. Some people are into Uncharted, some people aren't. Some people like racing games like Wipeout, some don't.

The Vita doesn't have a brand new Assassin's Creed game or GTA game or Red Dead Redemption or Fallout or Skyrim or Call of Duty or anything with complete mass appeal like that.


yet...
Anthony1 is offline  
post #87 of 139 Old 05-18-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Auditor_Kevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,084
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd need some kind of Battlefield or Call of Duty type online shooter before investing in one of these. Those games offer unlimited replayability.

Better yet - just barf out SOCOM II true to the original and I'd be on it in a heartbeat.

PSN = JUST_KEVIN
Auditor_Kevin is offline  
post #88 of 139 Old 05-18-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dragonyeuw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post


The Vita had a very strong launch lineup.

Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Fifa Soccer
Wipeout 2047
MLB 12 The Show
Rayman Origins
Super Stardust Delta (download)
Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack (download)
Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational


Those 8 games are all 8.5 or 9.0 type games. An argument can be made that Fifa Soccer is a 9.5 game.


The Vita has a nice group of "Very Good" games as well. These games would be worthy of 8.5's or 8.0:

Lumines: Electric Symphony
Virtua Tennis 4: World Tour Edition
Plants vs. Zombies Vita Edition (download)
Unit 13
Escape Plan (download)


Then there is another batch of "Good" games. Games that would score a 7.5 or 7.0:

ModNation Racers: Road Trip
Hustle Kings (download)
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
Motorstorm RC (free download)
Treasures of Montezuma Blitz (free download)




Those are some good games.... the trouble is most of them are playable on other consoles, and in some case more expensive than their console counterparts. Now, it depends on the gamer, but I'm not necessarily looking for portable versions of games that already exist for xbox/ps3. In a few cases, yeah, but on the whole I'm far more interested in unique games that are only available on Vita. Gravity Rush, for example...

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

dragonyeuw is offline  
post #89 of 139 Old 05-18-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
confidenceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeismyname View Post

Until people see more use out of a vita, they wont buy it and that would explain the poor sales. And hate to break it to you but who the hell would choose to surf the net on a vita over their tablet? No one.

You sort of answered your own question. One of the big problems with the Vita is that they tried to overload it with features that people already get on their phones. When the original PSP launched, it was cool to have things like Skype. But the tech world has changed a ton since then with the proliferation of smartphones. No one wants a handheld with (pointless) media capabilities and internet browsing. I think the idiots at the corporate level just see that the PS3 is doing well with its media features, so they want the Vita to do the same. The difference is that there's not much competition in that space for the PS3, but the battle over handheld media has already been won by phones/tablets. Now, if Sony were able to turn the Vita into a quality smartphone, well, that would be a different question. But even its media implementation is far clunkier than even the clunkiest smartphone. There's just no reason for anyone to be persuaded by that stuff.

Sony needs this to be a gaming device. They need to bring out the gaming-related features (PS3 connectivity, cloud saves, online play, beefed up storefront, open up to Android-iTunes style game development, etc).

And drop the price, of course.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
confidenceman is offline  
post #90 of 139 Old 05-18-2012, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
iamkoza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 827
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you are looking for console quality games, then developers are going to have to put a lot of effort in to making them... thus the $40 price point. I agree, that when comparing to $0.99 games on phones it's tough to sell the $40 game no matter how much better it is.
iamkoza is offline  
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off