Vita's are going for cheap prices on Craigslist... - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 139 Old 05-18-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I'd like to see a retro gaming pack for Atari 2600, Activision, Sega, etc.
Gimme 20 games for $29.

The vita can play 100 hour RPGs, but a lot of mobile gaming is short spur of the moment things like Angry Birds.

(and if it's in the store for PSP already, blame the Vita Storefront for not telling me)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 139 Old 05-18-2012, 02:04 PM

Liked: 10
The Sega Genesis Collection for PSP works on Vita and is alot of fun. I would like to see Sega Dreamcast games released for Vita. Hydro Thunder baby! I read that Jet Set Radio was going to be released this summer on PS3. I'm hoping it comes to the Vita as well.

The discussion on whether the Vita should have ports vs new IP is interesting to me. I say why not both? I do not have time to play console games that often as I like to be with my family in the evenings. I would play Killzone 3 and other big hit PS3 games on my Vita if they were available. The Vita is great in that you can so easily pause a game if someone wants to talk and then restart when American Idol comes back on as I have no interest in that type of show. Clould saves should be available for all Vita games that have a PS3 countpart so when I do have a little time to play on the PS3 I can use the Vita game save.

If I am correct in assuming that porting a PS3 game to the Vita is fairly easy, Sony should re-release as many of the popular PS3 titles as possible for the Vita. Charge a fair price considering that most of the development is already done. Say $19.95. Going forward release most if not all PS3 titles simultaneously on the Vita. Put a code in the box of the new PS3 game that allows the download of the Vita game for $9.99 or maybe $14.99 at the most. Sell the Vita game by itself for $29.99 to $34.99. I believe that this strategy would result in more new game sales (at the expense of used games) for those people that have both a PS3 and a Vita but it does not make the buyers of used games unhappy.
post #93 of 139 Old 05-18-2012, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyxbr View Post

The Sega Genesis Collection for PSP works on Vita and is alot of fun. I would like to see Sega Dreamcast games released for Vita. Hydro Thunder baby! I read that Jet Set Radio was going to be released this summer on PS3. I'm hoping it comes to the Vita as well.

The discussion on whether the Vita should have ports vs new IP is interesting to me. I say why not both? I do not have time to play console games that often as I like to be with my family in the evenings. I would play Killzone 3 and other big hit PS3 games on my Vita if they were available. The Vita is great in that you can so easily pause a game if someone wants to talk and then restart when American Idol comes back on as I have no interest in that type of show. Clould saves should be available for all Vita games that have a PS3 countpart so when I do have a little time to play on the PS3 I can use the Vita game save.

If I am correct in assuming that porting a PS3 game to the Vita is fairly easy, Sony should re-release as many of the popular PS3 titles as possible for the Vita. Charge a fair price considering that most of the development is already done. Say $19.95. Going forward release most if not all PS3 titles simultaneously on the Vita. Put a code in the box of the new PS3 game that allows the download of the Vita game for $9.99 or maybe $14.99 at the most. Sell the Vita game by itself for $29.99 to $34.99. I believe that this strategy would result in more new game sales (at the expense of used games) for those people that have both a PS3 and a Vita but it does not make the buyers of used games unhappy.

They tried this with the PSP and it didn't work. I don't get why the same ideas they did for the PSP didn't work expect it to work with the Vita. They marketed the Vita as a handheld PS3 and doing so has caused them the very issue they are in. Not enough consumers want the "also available on Vita for $10-20 bucks less". These companies are not going to go spend time bringing past PS3 games to the system. Because it isn't working with the brand new games available now. Why would they chance it? Price and identity is their issue.

The 5.0 is here
post #94 of 139 Old 05-18-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

They tried this with the PSP and it didn't work. I don't get why the same ideas they did for the PSP didn't work expect it to work with the Vita. They marketed the Vita as a handheld PS3 and doing so has caused them the very issue they are in. Not enough consumers want the "also available on Vita for $10-20 bucks less". These companies are not going to go spend time bringing past PS3 games to the system. Because it isn't working with the brand new games available now. Why would they chance it? Price and identity is their issue.

I don't see this as the same thing. With the PSP you could not run the same game on it as the one on the PS3. It was not powerful enough. Also if they offer the Vita download for $9.99 thats not $10-$20 less, its $30-$40 less.

As far as not bringing past PS3 games to the Vita, I think it depends on the cost of getting the game to run on the Vita. My assumption is that the cost to bring a PS3 games to the Vita is significantly lower than bringing an entirely new game to market. If my assumption is correct and the cost is low enough, any sales to Vita owners would be incremental revenue for the same game that came out on PS3. If my assumption is wrong and the cost to port to Vita is fairly high then I agree with you. My thought is that porting a game from PS3 to Vita is less than porting the same game to xbox. I assume this because I think that Sony would be quite motivated to get the port to happen and therefore could give much information on how to port from PS3 to Vita.

For me, since I have not had the opportunity play more than an hour of so of Uncharted 3 on my PS3, I would rather of had a Vita version of Uncharted 3 that I could have shared game saves with my PS3 than a new Vita only version. My thought is that it would have been much less costly for Sony to create that than an entirely new game. They could have then created the current Vita prequel for both platforms. I realize I could be in the minority with my gameplay habits.
post #95 of 139 Old 05-18-2012, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
The other solution to Vita's troubles: release Sound Shapes already!

Jonathan Mak already sold me on the PS3 with Everyday Shooter. The more I see from Shound Shapes, the more I'm convinced he'll do the same with Sound Shapes.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #96 of 139 Old 05-18-2012, 04:27 PM

I found a pretty good deal on Craigslist for $160, I am buying a vita (box and everything that come with it), 32gb card, cradle, and grip. I figured for $160 for everything, it doesnt get better than that. Hopefully the guy shows up. I'm set to meet him in an hour.
post #97 of 139 Old 05-18-2012, 07:22 PM

The guy showed up and I bought the Vita for $160. Everything is pretty much brand new! I still had time on my receipt to return my original vita that I bought last month at Target. I got a full return back, so I actually made a little profit on the whole purchase.
post #98 of 139 Old 05-18-2012, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by niembre View Post

The guy showed up and I bought the Vita for $160. Everything is pretty much brand new! I still had time on my receipt to return my original vita that I bought last month at Target. I got a full return back, so I actually made a little profit on the whole purchase.

Wow... You got a 32 gig card too? That is a screaming deal. You could easily clear about $50/$60 for that card after Ebay and Paypal fees. I'd recommend an 8 gig card for about $17 instead, unless you plan on buying mostly digital games. To me, as much as I'd love to have digital games on the memory card instead of switching out games, I just can't buy digital cause it costs too much, and I can never sell it, unless I sell my PSN account along with it, which is against the TOS.

8 gig card is plenty of space if you aren't going the digital route.
post #99 of 139 Old 05-18-2012, 09:02 PM

Yeah, I couldn't believe it. I made out like a bandit! I got the Vita (with a screen protector, box and all instructions), a 32 gig card, the cradle, the Trigger grip (which actually makes holding it way better, highly recommend it), the travel pouch, and a memory card (game) case. All for $160. You were right, all I did was keep up with Craigslist. The guy wanted $180, but he settled on $160.
post #100 of 139 Old 05-18-2012, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by niembre View Post

Yeah, I couldn't believe it. I made out like a bandit! I got the Vita (with a screen protector, box and all instructions), a 32 gig card, the cradle, the Trigger grip (which actually makes holding it way better, highly recommend it), the travel pouch, and a memory card (game) case. All for $160. You were right, all I did was keep up with Craigslist. The guy wanted $180, but he settled on $160.

Man... That was a tremendous deal.
post #101 of 139 Old 06-17-2012, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I just got a great Craigslist deal on a Vita. Here is what I got...

3G Vita
32gb Memory Card
Carrying Case
Uncharted
Modnation Racers

All of the items were brand new unopened and I got it all for $250.

The gentleman I purchased it from said that his wife wins bids on items through some auction site so I guess he just turns it around for a profit of some sorts.

Any way, I think I got everything for half of what it all would have cost retail!

Speakers: Martin Logan Montis, EM C2, Dual Depth I Subs, JBL S38 surround (upgrading soon) | Processor: Yamaha CX-A5000 | Amp: Sunfire TGA-5400 | Sources: DirecTV HR34, HTPC, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-103, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U | Television: Panasonic 65VT50 | Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate
post #102 of 139 Old 06-17-2012, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I've seen similar going for $200 in my area. Different games, but same peripherals. My only reason for waiting at this point is to see what support looks like over the next year or so. If it still looks strong, I'll bite then.

post #103 of 139 Old 06-18-2012, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My son has been wanting a Vita, and for his birthday he ended up getting a bunch of cash. I've been looking on Craigslist for the past month or so trying to get him a Vita at the right price, but it just hasn't happened. There are tons of people on my local Craigslist that are selling Vita's, but they aren't willing to go as low as I want to go. I don't mind spending $200 for a Vita package, but that package needs to also include an 8 gig mem card, a case of some kind and two decent games. Unfortunately, it seems that I can't get anywhere near such a deal unless I cough up at least $235. Basically, what I'm trying to say is that it appears that Vita prices on Craigslist are going up, rather than down, at least in my area. A few months ago, the deals were plentiful, but now, even though there are TONS of sellers, they are holding firm to their high prices.

You know what's really amazing? GameStop trade in values for Vita. Yesterday, I went to GameStop and was asking them about trade in values for Vita's, and I was shocked at how little they are giving people. If you have a 3G Vita (and assuming everything is flawless), they will only give you 100 bucks store credit. Yep, you read that right... 100 freaking bucks STORE CREDIT for a 3G Vita. If you want cash, it's 80 bucks cash! !!! Wi-Fi Vita they only give 80 bucks store credit !!! Can you freaking believe that ? If you want cash for your Wi-Fi Vita, they only give 60 bucks!!! That's just bonkers, yet you know there are some fools out there that actually bring their Vita's into GameStop and just deal with the huge loss. I can't understand why anybody would deal with such a huge loss, but I guess they have never heard of Ebay or Craigslist, or are too scared to use either service.

The thing is, with GameStop giving such a super small amount for Vita's, you'd think this would be reflected in the Craigslist market as well, and Craigslist sellers of Vita's would have to accept much lower offers for Vita's, but the Craigslist sellers seem to be holding firm right now.
post #104 of 139 Old 06-18-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

A quick check on my local Craigslist shows prices ranging from $120 to $280. Only a few are below $200, and the majority are in the $200+ range. It's possible that the market's leveling out a bit since people who were looking to dump their Vitas fast already have. You may be right. Or you may just have to be diligent in checking and jump on one of those low ballers.

post #105 of 139 Old 06-18-2012, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

A quick check on my local Craigslist shows prices ranging from $120 to $280. Only a few are below $200, and the majority are in the $200+ range. It's possible that the market's leveling out a bit since people who were looking to dump their Vitas fast already have. You may be right. Or you may just have to be diligent in checking and jump on one of those low ballers.

Wow, $120 ? I'd be a bit scared of that one. Probably was dropped several times or something, either that, or dude needs some crack really bad.

I've been very diligent in checking CL every single day, and multiple times a day, but just haven't seen any deals. I barely missed out on a killer deal about a month and a half ago, when I was meeting a guy, but the guy didn't show up, and then we were supposed to meet again, but had some communication issues, and ultimately he ended up selling to somebody else. That deal would have netted me a Vita, with a case and Fifa for about $150 after I sold some of the other stuff that was included. Since Fifa is the game my son likes the most, it would have been a great deal. At the time, I didn't know that it was going to be the only amazing deal I would see within a 45 day period, but so far, it turns out that it was the golden deal, and I missed out on it.

Oh well, I'll keep checking and eventually I'll get lucky. I could always just get one of the preowned ones from Amazon Warehouse Deals for $163.
post #106 of 139 Old 06-21-2012, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I finally found a decent deal to get my son a Vita. Got a Wi-Fi Vita and 8 gig memory card for $175. Basically the Vita was $160 and the 8 gig mem card was $15. Not too bad, but not the greatest deal ever. Finally found a guy that was motivated to sell and needed some cash.
post #107 of 139 Old 06-22-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

You know what's really amazing? GameStop trade in values for Vita. Yesterday, I went to GameStop and was asking them about trade in values for Vita's, and I was shocked at how little they are giving people. If you have a 3G Vita (and assuming everything is flawless), they will only give you 100 bucks store credit. Yep, you read that right... 100 freaking bucks STORE CREDIT for a 3G Vita. If you want cash, it's 80 bucks cash! !!! Wi-Fi Vita they only give 80 bucks store credit !!! Can you freaking believe that ? If you want cash for your Wi-Fi Vita, they only give 60 bucks!!! T

That's about as good as taking your Vita and tossing it right in the trash, at those trade rates. I'd sooner piss on mine and set it afire...

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #108 of 139 Old 06-22-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

I finally found a decent deal to get my son a Vita. Got a Wi-Fi Vita and 8 gig memory card for $175. Basically the Vita was $160 and the 8 gig mem card was $15. Not too bad, but not the greatest deal ever. Finally found a guy that was motivated to sell and needed some cash.
Congrats. Seems like a good price to me for a reasonable package. Well done.

Based on used market prices, Sony should be selling these new for closer to $200. Right now, the used market could end up seriously cutting into new sales. Not good to have your own product undercut/cannibalize you.

post #109 of 139 Old 08-27-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

I love the device at that $150-$200 price point - if only they'd add a few more titles I was interested in.

Hot Shots Golf looks amazing. Now how about an online FPS (like BF3 or COD) that takes advantage of the dual sticks we missed so much on the PSP and a decent Madden game.

Put that together and now ya' go me.

PSN = JUST_KEVIN
post #110 of 139 Old 08-27-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

^

Anyone still holding out should probably just wait at this point.

100% agree. If one hasn't been swayed to buy one thus far, at this point you may as well see what Sony does this xmas season.

post #111 of 139 Old 08-27-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor_Kevin View Post

Now how about an online FPS (like BF3 or COD) that takes advantage of the dual sticks we missed so much on the PSP and a decent Madden game.
Put that together and now ya' go me.

Madden is coming. As for FPS, there is a Resistance title( got mixed reviews) already out and a COD title is coming, but the buzz on the latter title is that it resembles a late gen PSP game.

post #112 of 139 Old 08-27-2012, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Call of Duty looks embarrassingly bad.

Killzone Mercenary looks great, though.
post #113 of 139 Old 08-27-2012, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

100% agree. If one hasn't been swayed to buy one thus far, at this point you may as well see what Sony does this xmas season.

We already know what sony is doing bundles and confirmed no price drop for 2012. The stores on the other hand will most likely slash prices on standalones and accessories.

The 5.0 is here
post #114 of 139 Old 08-27-2012, 09:05 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor_Kevin View Post

Hot Shots Golf looks amazing.

I picked up Hot Shots Golf last Thursday now that it's 19.99 and have played it every day since. Got my first hole-in-one on day 3 smile.gif It is a strangely addictive game. In googling for tips about it I came across a thread somewhere that said it'll be released in the next few months on PSN for the PS3 too.
post #115 of 139 Old 08-28-2012, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

We already know what sony is doing bundles and confirmed no price drop for 2012.

If Sony was going to drop price before the end of 2012,( let's say November) they're not going to give us 3 months advance notice. That would effectively kill all Vita sales from now until the announced price drop. IF(when) the Vita drops price, we'll get at most a week's notice.

post #116 of 139 Old 08-28-2012, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If Sony was going to drop price before the end of 2012,( let's say November) they're not going to give us 3 months advance notice. That would effectively kill all Vita sales from now until the announced price drop. IF(when) the Vita drops price, we'll get at most a week's notice.

https://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&safe=off&site=&source=hp&q=sony+confirmed+no+vita+price+drop&oq=sony+confirmed+no+vita+price+drop&gs_l=hp.3...670.8004.0.8243.37.35.2.0.0.0.222.5056.0j33j2.35.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1ddB0irXWig&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=a3c9d2795cb868e0&biw=985&bih=465

Financially they can't afford a price cut. PS3 price cut I can see base on if the the new Slim release. They stated they are waiting on revised Vita hardware and cutting price would not help them now or Xmas.

It only sold 400k worldwide in the last fiscal qtr.

By the way the main issue with the Vita isn't the price. Sony is dealing with a smaller market than previous but Sony also decided to market to a niche group within that market. They are battling against another well recognized brand 3DS and against mobile devices. Sony has also said they misread the market. Consumers that do know about the Vita are trying to figure out if it even fits their lifestyle to have and the other issue is that people don't even know about it.

The 5.0 is here
post #117 of 139 Old 08-28-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

https://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&safe=off&site=&source=hp&q=sony+confirmed+no+vita+price+drop&oq=sony+confirmed+no+vita+price+drop&gs_l=hp.3...670.8004.0.8243.37.35.2.0.0.0.222.5056.0j33j2.35.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1ddB0irXWig&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=a3c9d2795cb868e0&biw=985&bih=465
Financially they can't afford a price cut. PS3 price cut I can see base on if the the new Slim release. They stated they are waiting on revised Vita hardware and cutting price would not help them now or Xmas.
It only sold 400k worldwide in the last fiscal qtr.,

I'm aware of what they said, I'm not disputing that the statement was made. I'm simply saying that IF they were to cut price( this goes for any of these companies), say at the end of the year, they're not going to let the cat out of the bag and risk sales screeching to grinding halt due to giving people a head's up about a pending cut. Let's put it this way, whenever they cut price( this year, next year) they'll deny a price-cut right up till the point they actually do it.

Yes, I know their finances are such that a price cut is unlikely. Bundling a 4gb card as standard should IMO have been in place since day 1, and likely cost them peanuts since it's their own proprietary format. They can probably afford that better than an outright system price-cut, which more or less means the same thing to the consumer's bottomline as some games won't even play, let alone save, without a memory card.

post #118 of 139 Old 08-28-2012, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm aware of what they said, I'm not disputing that the statement was made. I'm simply saying that IF they were to cut price( this goes for any of these companies), say at the end of the year, they're not going to let the cat out of the bag and risk sales screeching to grinding halt due to giving people a head's up about a pending cut. Let's put it this way, whenever they cut price( this year, next year) they'll deny a price-cut right up till the point they actually do it.
Yes, I know their finances are such that a price cut is unlikely. Bundling a 4gb card as standard should IMO have been in place since day 1, and likely cost them peanuts since it's their own proprietary format. They can probably afford that better than an outright system price-cut, which more or less means the same thing to the consumer's bottomline as some games won't even play, let alone save, without a memory card.

Did they not do a bundle with a game & 8gb card for launch?

The 5.0 is here
post #119 of 139 Old 08-28-2012, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did they not do a bundle with a game & 8gb card for launch?

I believe you're referring to the first edition bundle. There may have been another bundle at launch which included a card, but what I'm saying is this should be standard with Vita. You may or may not recall that even the PSP came with a 32mb card, which was standard. Anecdotal evidence of reading various game blogs suggests to me that card pricing/lack of included storage is an issue and hindrance to sales, to what extent I can't say.

In fact if you look at all the gaming devices to come out the last ten years or so, asides from the PS2 and Gamecube all systems have included either internal storage( xbox,Wii,PS3,xbox 360 arcade model, PSPGo) external storage(xbox 360 HDD attachment) or included a memory card ( PSP, DS, 3Ds). The market has moved towards including minimum storage with the upfront cost of the system, while providing options of larger cards/HDDs for those who need more storage.

Sony went away from that by not including any kind of storage with the device, creating their own format with high prices for any 'decent' sized storage(16/32gb), and to top it off made it where some games won't even run without the presence of a card. Pretty tough sell for a system that sets you back $250 on its own before you even get to buying games and 'mandatory', proprietary, storage cards.

post #120 of 139 Old 08-28-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

While it's typical to deny a price cut is on the horizon, it is unusual to definitively say something as clear as "no price cut in 2012." Sony made a similar statement about the PS3 a few years back, and they stuck to that commitment. I'm sure they intend to do it again.

And there's good reason. It isn't just that the platform is underperforming, or even that Sony as a whole is in trouble. It's that Sony pissed off their investors with the last couple of PS3 price drops. From a consumer perspective, those price drops made perfect sense. But investors were really not happy about them--especially the last one. So Sony is right now working on damage control among its investors, especially when so much about the platform and the company are financially precarious. Being definitive about the "no price drop" thing is an attempt to satisfy investors in a tumultuous time.

All bets are off if sales look slow as the holiday shopping season begins rolling in. At that point, Sony may have to do something dramatic. I think they're counting on PS Mobile working out well for them. But with all the issues right now over PSOne support (and the discovery of an easy workaround to locked titles), I'm doubtful that Sony can get their ducks in a row anytime soon.

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page