AVS Forum banner

Vita's are going for cheap prices on Craigslist...

11K views 138 replies 28 participants last post by  dragonyeuw 
#1 ·
This might be a scenario that is only occurring in my local area, but if what is happening here is anything to go by, then anybody looking to buy a PS Vita should immediately head to Craigslist. When you get there, you will most likely find about 10 different Vita sell threads. Most of the guys will be asking for $350 or $400 for these packages with memory cards and games, and maybe a case or something. A few of them will have it around $275 or $250, for a Vita with a small mem card and one game.

Here is what I've paid for the Vitas:

1st Vita - 3G version with power cable - $190

2nd Vita - 3G Version with box, AR cards, power cable/usb cable - $200

3rd Vita - 3G Version with box, AR cards, power cable/usb cable - $197

4th Vita - Wi-Fi version with box, AR cards, power/usb cable - $157

All 4 of them were in flawless condition. No scratches or blemishes of any kind. I've also got memory cards and games and cases at extremely cheap prices as well. So, if you're looking for a Vita package, definitely go to Craigslist. The key is to find a Vita owner that is impatient and wants money right away. I did that in all 4 situations. All 4 needed the money and had to deal with a heavy loss on their investment, which sucks for them, but being an early adopter in new technologies can be very dangerous.

It does have me a bit worried though. So many people in my area have Vita's for sale, that I seem to be unable to sell my 3rd Vita. It seems that the demand on the black market for this handheld is very low. It's criminal that I've got these beautiful pieces of hardware for an average of $186. That hardware is way too good for me to be getting my hands on it for that cheap. Makes me a bit worried about it's future.

See less See more
#102 ·
I've seen similar going for $200 in my area. Different games, but same peripherals. My only reason for waiting at this point is to see what support looks like over the next year or so. If it still looks strong, I'll bite then.

#103 ·
My son has been wanting a Vita, and for his birthday he ended up getting a bunch of cash. I've been looking on Craigslist for the past month or so trying to get him a Vita at the right price, but it just hasn't happened. There are tons of people on my local Craigslist that are selling Vita's, but they aren't willing to go as low as I want to go. I don't mind spending $200 for a Vita package, but that package needs to also include an 8 gig mem card, a case of some kind and two decent games. Unfortunately, it seems that I can't get anywhere near such a deal unless I cough up at least $235. Basically, what I'm trying to say is that it appears that Vita prices on Craigslist are going up, rather than down, at least in my area. A few months ago, the deals were plentiful, but now, even though there are TONS of sellers, they are holding firm to their high prices.

You know what's really amazing? GameStop trade in values for Vita. Yesterday, I went to GameStop and was asking them about trade in values for Vita's, and I was shocked at how little they are giving people. If you have a 3G Vita (and assuming everything is flawless), they will only give you 100 bucks store credit. Yep, you read that right... 100 freaking bucks STORE CREDIT for a 3G Vita. If you want cash, it's 80 bucks cash! !!! Wi-Fi Vita they only give 80 bucks store credit !!! Can you freaking believe that ? If you want cash for your Wi-Fi Vita, they only give 60 bucks!!! That's just bonkers, yet you know there are some fools out there that actually bring their Vita's into GameStop and just deal with the huge loss. I can't understand why anybody would deal with such a huge loss, but I guess they have never heard of Ebay or Craigslist, or are too scared to use either service.

The thing is, with GameStop giving such a super small amount for Vita's, you'd think this would be reflected in the Craigslist market as well, and Craigslist sellers of Vita's would have to accept much lower offers for Vita's, but the Craigslist sellers seem to be holding firm right now.

#104 ·
A quick check on my local Craigslist shows prices ranging from $120 to $280. Only a few are below $200, and the majority are in the $200+ range. It's possible that the market's leveling out a bit since people who were looking to dump their Vitas fast already have. You may be right. Or you may just have to be diligent in checking and jump on one of those low ballers.

#105 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman  /t/1403457/vitas-are-going-for-cheap-prices-on-craigslist/90#post_22144200

A quick check on my local Craigslist shows prices ranging from $120 to $280. Only a few are below $200, and the majority are in the $200+ range. It's possible that the market's leveling out a bit since people who were looking to dump their Vitas fast already have. You may be right. Or you may just have to be diligent in checking and jump on one of those low ballers.

Wow, $120 ? I'd be a bit scared of that one. Probably was dropped several times or something, either that, or dude needs some crack really bad.

I've been very diligent in checking CL every single day, and multiple times a day, but just haven't seen any deals. I barely missed out on a killer deal about a month and a half ago, when I was meeting a guy, but the guy didn't show up, and then we were supposed to meet again, but had some communication issues, and ultimately he ended up selling to somebody else. That deal would have netted me a Vita, with a case and Fifa for about $150 after I sold some of the other stuff that was included. Since Fifa is the game my son likes the most, it would have been a great deal. At the time, I didn't know that it was going to be the only amazing deal I would see within a 45 day period, but so far, it turns out that it was the golden deal, and I missed out on it.

Oh well, I'll keep checking and eventually I'll get lucky. I could always just get one of the preowned ones from Amazon Warehouse Deals for $163.

#106 ·
I finally found a decent deal to get my son a Vita. Got a Wi-Fi Vita and 8 gig memory card for $175. Basically the Vita was $160 and the 8 gig mem card was $15. Not too bad, but not the greatest deal ever. Finally found a guy that was motivated to sell and needed some cash.

#107 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1  /t/1403457/vitas-are-going-for-cheap-prices-on-craigslist/90#post_22144069

You know what's really amazing? GameStop trade in values for Vita. Yesterday, I went to GameStop and was asking them about trade in values for Vita's, and I was shocked at how little they are giving people. If you have a 3G Vita (and assuming everything is flawless), they will only give you 100 bucks store credit. Yep, you read that right... 100 freaking bucks STORE CREDIT for a 3G Vita. If you want cash, it's 80 bucks cash! !!! Wi-Fi Vita they only give 80 bucks store credit !!! Can you freaking believe that ? If you want cash for your Wi-Fi Vita, they only give 60 bucks!!! T

That's about as good as taking your Vita and tossing it right in the trash, at those trade rates. I'd sooner piss on mine and set it afire...

#108 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1  /t/1403457/vitas-are-going-for-cheap-prices-on-craigslist/90#post_22156173

I finally found a decent deal to get my son a Vita. Got a Wi-Fi Vita and 8 gig memory card for $175. Basically the Vita was $160 and the 8 gig mem card was $15. Not too bad, but not the greatest deal ever. Finally found a guy that was motivated to sell and needed some cash.
Congrats. Seems like a good price to me for a reasonable package. Well done.

Based on used market prices, Sony should be selling these new for closer to $200. Right now, the used market could end up seriously cutting into new sales. Not good to have your own product undercut/cannibalize you.

#109 ·
I love the device at that $150-$200 price point - if only they'd add a few more titles I was interested in.

Hot Shots Golf looks amazing. Now how about an online FPS (like BF3 or COD) that takes advantage of the dual sticks we missed so much on the PSP and a decent Madden game.

Put that together and now ya' go me.

#110 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman  /t/1403457/vitas-are-going-for-cheap-prices-on-craigslist/90#post_22346836

^

Anyone still holding out should probably just wait at this point.

100% agree. If one hasn't been swayed to buy one thus far, at this point you may as well see what Sony does this xmas season.

#111 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor_Kevin  /t/1403457/vitas-are-going-for-cheap-prices-on-craigslist/90#post_22347152

Now how about an online FPS (like BF3 or COD) that takes advantage of the dual sticks we missed so much on the PSP and a decent Madden game.

Put that together and now ya' go me.

Madden is coming. As for FPS, there is a Resistance title( got mixed reviews) already out and a COD title is coming, but the buzz on the latter title is that it resembles a late gen PSP game.

#113 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw  /t/1403457/vitas-are-going-for-cheap-prices-on-craigslist/100_100#post_22347986

100% agree. If one hasn't been swayed to buy one thus far, at this point you may as well see what Sony does this xmas season.

We already know what sony is doing bundles and confirmed no price drop for 2012. The stores on the other hand will most likely slash prices on standalones and accessories.

#114 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor_Kevin  /t/1403457/vitas-are-going-for-cheap-prices-on-craigslist/90#post_22347152

Hot Shots Golf looks amazing.

I picked up Hot Shots Golf last Thursday now that it's 19.99 and have played it every day since. Got my first hole-in-one on day 3
It is a strangely addictive game. In googling for tips about it I came across a thread somewhere that said it'll be released in the next few months on PSN for the PS3 too.

#115 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga  /t/1403457/vitas-are-going-for-cheap-prices-on-craigslist/90#post_22348670

We already know what sony is doing bundles and confirmed no price drop for 2012.

If Sony was going to drop price before the end of 2012,( let's say November) they're not going to give us 3 months advance notice. That would effectively kill all Vita sales from now until the announced price drop. IF(when) the Vita drops price, we'll get at most a week's notice.

#116 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw  /t/1403457/vitas-are-going-for-cheap-prices-on-craigslist/100_100#post_22349851

If Sony was going to drop price before the end of 2012,( let's say November) they're not going to give us 3 months advance notice. That would effectively kill all Vita sales from now until the announced price drop. IF(when) the Vita drops price, we'll get at most a week's notice.
https://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&safe=off&site=&source=hp&q=sony+confirmed+no+vita+price+drop&oq=sony+confirmed+no+vita+price+drop&gs_l=hp.3...670.8004.0.8243.37.35.2.0.0.0.222.5056.0j33j2.35.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1ddB0irXWig&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=a3c9d2795cb868e0&biw=985&bih=465

Financially they can't afford a price cut. PS3 price cut I can see base on if the the new Slim release. They stated they are waiting on revised Vita hardware and cutting price would not help them now or Xmas.

It only sold 400k worldwide in the last fiscal qtr.

By the way the main issue with the Vita isn't the price. Sony is dealing with a smaller market than previous but Sony also decided to market to a niche group within that market. They are battling against another well recognized brand 3DS and against mobile devices. Sony has also said they misread the market. Consumers that do know about the Vita are trying to figure out if it even fits their lifestyle to have and the other issue is that people don't even know about it.

#117 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga  /t/1403457/vitas-are-going-for-cheap-prices-on-craigslist/90#post_22349874

https://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&safe=off&site=&source=hp&q=sony+confirmed+no+vita+price+drop&oq=sony+confirmed+no+vita+price+drop&gs_l=hp.3...670.8004.0.8243.37.35.2.0.0.0.222.5056.0j33j2.35.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1ddB0irXWig&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=a3c9d2795cb868e0&biw=985&bih=465

Financially they can't afford a price cut. PS3 price cut I can see base on if the the new Slim release. They stated they are waiting on revised Vita hardware and cutting price would not help them now or Xmas.

It only sold 400k worldwide in the last fiscal qtr.,

I'm aware of what they said, I'm not disputing that the statement was made. I'm simply saying that IF they were to cut price( this goes for any of these companies), say at the end of the year, they're not going to let the cat out of the bag and risk sales screeching to grinding halt due to giving people a head's up about a pending cut. Let's put it this way, whenever they cut price( this year, next year) they'll deny a price-cut right up till the point they actually do it.

Yes, I know their finances are such that a price cut is unlikely. Bundling a 4gb card as standard should IMO have been in place since day 1, and likely cost them peanuts since it's their own proprietary format. They can probably afford that better than an outright system price-cut, which more or less means the same thing to the consumer's bottomline as some games won't even play, let alone save, without a memory card.

#118 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw  /t/1403457/vitas-are-going-for-cheap-prices-on-craigslist/100_100#post_22349980

I'm aware of what they said, I'm not disputing that the statement was made. I'm simply saying that IF they were to cut price( this goes for any of these companies), say at the end of the year, they're not going to let the cat out of the bag and risk sales screeching to grinding halt due to giving people a head's up about a pending cut. Let's put it this way, whenever they cut price( this year, next year) they'll deny a price-cut right up till the point they actually do it.

Yes, I know their finances are such that a price cut is unlikely. Bundling a 4gb card as standard should IMO have been in place since day 1, and likely cost them peanuts since it's their own proprietary format. They can probably afford that better than an outright system price-cut, which more or less means the same thing to the consumer's bottomline as some games won't even play, let alone save, without a memory card.

Did they not do a bundle with a game & 8gb card for launch?

#119 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga  /t/1403457/vitas-are-going-for-cheap-prices-on-craigslist/90#post_22350016

Did they not do a bundle with a game & 8gb card for launch?

I believe you're referring to the first edition bundle. There may have been another bundle at launch which included a card, but what I'm saying is this should be standard with Vita. You may or may not recall that even the PSP came with a 32mb card, which was standard. Anecdotal evidence of reading various game blogs suggests to me that card pricing/lack of included storage is an issue and hindrance to sales, to what extent I can't say.

In fact if you look at all the gaming devices to come out the last ten years or so, asides from the PS2 and Gamecube all systems have included either internal storage( xbox,Wii,PS3,xbox 360 arcade model, PSPGo) external storage(xbox 360 HDD attachment) or included a memory card ( PSP, DS, 3Ds). The market has moved towards including minimum storage with the upfront cost of the system, while providing options of larger cards/HDDs for those who need more storage.

Sony went away from that by not including any kind of storage with the device, creating their own format with high prices for any 'decent' sized storage(16/32gb), and to top it off made it where some games won't even run without the presence of a card. Pretty tough sell for a system that sets you back $250 on its own before you even get to buying games and 'mandatory', proprietary, storage cards.

#120 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw  /t/1403457/vitas-are-going-for-cheap-prices-on-craigslist/90#post_22349980

While it's typical to deny a price cut is on the horizon, it is unusual to definitively say something as clear as "no price cut in 2012." Sony made a similar statement about the PS3 a few years back, and they stuck to that commitment. I'm sure they intend to do it again.

And there's good reason. It isn't just that the platform is underperforming, or even that Sony as a whole is in trouble. It's that Sony pissed off their investors with the last couple of PS3 price drops. From a consumer perspective, those price drops made perfect sense. But investors were really not happy about them--especially the last one. So Sony is right now working on damage control among its investors, especially when so much about the platform and the company are financially precarious. Being definitive about the "no price drop" thing is an attempt to satisfy investors in a tumultuous time.

All bets are off if sales look slow as the holiday shopping season begins rolling in. At that point, Sony may have to do something dramatic. I think they're counting on PS Mobile working out well for them. But with all the issues right now over PSOne support (and the discovery of an easy workaround to locked titles ), I'm doubtful that Sony can get their ducks in a row anytime soon.

#121 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman  /t/1403457/vitas-are-going-for-cheap-prices-on-craigslist/90#post_22350202

While it's typical to deny a price cut is on the horizon, it is unusual to definitively say something as clear as "no price cut in 2012." Sony made a similar statement about the PS3 a few years back, and they stuck to that commitment. I'm sure they intend to do it again.

That may well be true, but I'm thinking that any statement about 'No price cut'' is going to come off pretty definitive in any event. They aren't going to release a statement that give any hint of wiggle room for people to speculate about a price cut. Something along the lines of 'We can't confirm or deny a price cut at this time' could give just enough of a hint that one is pending and result in people sitting on the fence. So yes, their statement will and should be definitive and absolute : 'There will be no price-cut'. Whether it's a bluff or they genuinely mean it remains to be seen, and of course only Sony knows what they're going to do at the end of the day.

For the record I don't believe there's going to a price cut this year, not so much because of what you say above, but because I think Sony is in better position to bundle a memory card/ drop price on cards/include PSN voucher or some combo of that to increase the perceptive value of the $249 pricetag. For the consumer it's simple, whatever means I spend less to enter the Vita world. Whether it's a straight cut of the hardware, or a cut of the mandatory storage cards, the savings to the consumer is the same. So my statements above weren't so much about arguing whether a price-cut is pending this year or not, but mainly to say IF one was coming( again, not arguing that it is), they aren't going to clue people onto it months before they actually do it.

It also dawns on me that Sony could possibly be prepping the Vita for a holiday relaunch of the system. By that time, most of the heavy-hitters for this year will be out, launch software will be slashed in half( already is for several first-party titles), memory card prices will have dropped slightly, and features like PS1 play and cross-controller will be in place( as of today actually) plus the whole cross-purchase program. If they play their cards right, they could move some units this Xmas season, but they're going to have to do some PR damage control to reverse the growing perception that the Vita is a flop.

#122 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw  /t/1403457/vitas-are-going-for-cheap-prices-on-craigslist/120#post_22350296

It also dawns on me that Sony could possibly be prepping the Vita for a holiday relaunch of the system.
What baffles me is that Sony seems to have given up entirely on the Japanese market. I"m surprised they haven't already done a "relaunch" of some kind there. But I guess there's only so much they can do. Without a critical mass of consumers, they can't leverage new content. Their best bet is just to make sure that PS Mobile is good and works and launches without a hitch.

#123 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman  /t/1403457/vitas-are-going-for-cheap-prices-on-craigslist/120#post_22351114

What baffles me is that Sony seems to have given up entirely on the Japanese market. I"m surprised they haven't already done a "relaunch" of some kind there. But I guess there's only so much they can do.

The PSP is still going strong over that side. I think once a title that 'really' appeals to them comes out ( Monster Hunter, Final Fantasy perhaps?), you'll see some units move over there; for now they haven't been given much incentive to upgrade to a system twice as expensive with nowhere near as much content to their tastes. I happen to think the Vita had a pretty strong lineup of launch titles over this side, but they were mostly western-centric. That's not going to sway the Japanese.

#124 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw  /t/1403457/vitas-are-going-for-cheap-prices-on-craigslist/120#post_22351245

The PSP is still going strong over that side.
But it's not still going strong at all. It's just that the Vita is doing so poorly there that it regularly falls below even the PSP's mediocre sales (which are at ~10k per week). Even the 3DS isn't considered a big success in Japan and its sales are at around 40k per week. The 3DS has been doing much better in Western markets, as has Vita.
Quote:
I think once a title that 'really' appeals to them comes out ( Monster Hunter, Final Fantasy perhaps?), you'll see some units move over there; for now they haven't been given much incentive to upgrade to a system twice as expensive with nowhere near as much content to their tastes. I happen to think the Vita had a pretty strong lineup of launch titles over this side, but they were mostly western-centric. That's not going to sway the Japanese.
Monster Hunter has since been released on mobile platforms and 3DS. Getting it on a Vita won't matter at this point. The problem is that the PSP sold so well initially in Japan because it's a commuter-based country. Portable gaming was huge there.

Then smartphones were invented.

The baffling part isn't figuring out why the portable market has tanked in Japan (answer: smartphones). The baffling thing is why Sony is doing nothing about it.

#125 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman  /t/1403457/vitas-are-going-for-cheap-prices-on-craigslist/120#post_22352102

But it's not still going strong at all. It's just that the Vita is doing so poorly there that it regularly falls below even the PSP's mediocre sales (which are at ~10k per week). Even the 3DS isn't considered a big success in Japan and its sales are at around 40k per week. The 3DS has been doing much better in Western markets, as has Vita.

Monster Hunter has since been released on mobile platforms and 3DS. Getting it on a Vita won't matter at this point. The problem is that the PSP sold so well initially in Japan because it's a commuter-based country. Portable gaming was huge there.

Then smartphones were invented.

The baffling part isn't figuring out why the portable market has tanked in Japan (answer: smartphones). The baffling thing is why Sony is doing nothing about it.

Sorry, meant strong in the sense that it's still being supported software-wise, not so much in the sense of 'strong' sales. As you said, it's outpacing Vita over there and that shows no signs of changing anytime soon. PSP support over this side is basically dead aside from a couple of JRPG titles being localized here by year's end.

I have no idea how Sony is going to turn around the Vita over there. We all agree that a price-cut is unlikely for a few reasons, so without a few system-selling games( per Japanese tastes), what's left to counter the smartphone? I'm sure Sony is scratching their heads as well.

#126 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw  /t/1403457/vitas-are-going-for-cheap-prices-on-craigslist/120#post_22353041

I have no idea how Sony is going to turn around the Vita over there. We all agree that a price-cut is unlikely for a few reasons, so without a few system-selling games( per Japanese tastes), what's left to counter the smartphone? I'm sure Sony is scratching their heads as well.
It's a microcosm of the bigger industry problem: smartphones have conquered the portable market. I think that battle has been lost. That's not to say that portables won't hold onto a sizable portion of the market. Nor does that mean that awesome games won't continue to be made for both Vita and 3DS. But I don't think there's any way at this point for portables to regain their lost market share. Japan is just an extreme version of that.

I guess what bugs me about it is that Sony isn't even putting up a fight by getting some awesome games on the platform. It's those sorts of dire conditions that should be leading to some excellent games. I guess this all comes back to the chaotic state of Japanese games development.

And the even bigger question is whether there's a similar shift in power coming for consoles...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.