Vita's are going for cheap prices on Craigslist... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 139 Old 04-02-2012, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 146
This might be a scenario that is only occurring in my local area, but if what is happening here is anything to go by, then anybody looking to buy a PS Vita should immediately head to Craigslist. When you get there, you will most likely find about 10 different Vita sell threads. Most of the guys will be asking for $350 or $400 for these packages with memory cards and games, and maybe a case or something. A few of them will have it around $275 or $250, for a Vita with a small mem card and one game.

Here is what I've paid for the Vitas:

1st Vita - 3G version with power cable - $190

2nd Vita - 3G Version with box, AR cards, power cable/usb cable - $200

3rd Vita - 3G Version with box, AR cards, power cable/usb cable - $197

4th Vita - Wi-Fi version with box, AR cards, power/usb cable - $157

All 4 of them were in flawless condition. No scratches or blemishes of any kind. I've also got memory cards and games and cases at extremely cheap prices as well. So, if you're looking for a Vita package, definitely go to Craigslist. The key is to find a Vita owner that is impatient and wants money right away. I did that in all 4 situations. All 4 needed the money and had to deal with a heavy loss on their investment, which sucks for them, but being an early adopter in new technologies can be very dangerous.

It does have me a bit worried though. So many people in my area have Vita's for sale, that I seem to be unable to sell my 3rd Vita. It seems that the demand on the black market for this handheld is very low. It's criminal that I've got these beautiful pieces of hardware for an average of $186. That hardware is way too good for me to be getting my hands on it for that cheap. Makes me a bit worried about it's future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 139 Old 04-03-2012, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Kind of a sad FUD thread, what is the point? Are you trying to convince people that in year 0.2 of 6-10 the device is doomed? Do you have a crystal ball?

Now playing: TLoU PS4
Recently Finished: Watch Dogs, Southpark: Stick of Truth, Infamous: SS
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #3 of 139 Old 04-03-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I think the onslaught of mobile entertainment devices the past 5-6 years have made $250 dedicated gaming handhelds a hard sell. It's why Nintendo struggled last year with the 3ds, and why Vita sales are sluggish now.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #4 of 139 Old 04-03-2012, 09:05 AM

Liked: 10
In my area (Western MA) I can't find a Vita on CL for anything less than $250. Granted it may be the 3G model with an 8GB memory card but it's still used and only $50 off retail price...

If I saw a WiFi model for $150 I would have snagged it in a heartbeat... great catch.
post #5 of 139 Old 04-03-2012, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNPalmer View Post

In my area (Western MA) I can't find a Vita on CL for anything less than $250. Granted it may be the 3G model with an 8GB memory card but it's still used and only $50 off retail price...

I'm sure this type of thing varies from place to place. What's happening where I'm living, could be totally different than your local area. Still, keep an eye on those listings, and see if they just stay there and stay there. If the guy keeps reposting it. I'm selling a 3G Vita for $220, and I can't seem to sell the thing. No memory card or game is included, but $220 is pretty damn low. I had it at $235 for a long time, but couldn't get any buyers, and now have lowered it to $220, and no buyers yet for that either.
post #6 of 139 Old 04-03-2012, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Well, the Nintendo 3DS is now at the same price I paid for my DS 4 years ago, maybe PS is is finding Vita a little more difficult to sell than expected.

PS. FOUR VITAS????????
post #7 of 139 Old 04-03-2012, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlalotoani View Post

PS. FOUR VITAS????????

Well, what happened, is that I kept finding better and better Vita deals. Deals too good to pass up. With games included that I wanted to buy anyways. I was getting most of the games for like $17 or $18, and they were the Vita games that I really wanted. Unfortunately, had to buy extra Vita's to get all the accessories that I wanted.

Things started out well, because I was able to sell two of those Vita's for a tiny profit. Basically, enough to make all the effort worthwhile, but not like I was ripping anybody off. I sold those first two Vitas, but since then, it seems that Craigslist is overflowing with Vita deals. If only I really needed another Vita right now. I could make a really nice score. I'm talking about getting Vita's for like $150, and games like Uncharted for $17. Getting memory cards for cheap, and cases for cheap.

I'd keep buying more Vita's and flipping them, to max out my Vita library, but I gotta sell the extra I have before I buy any more. It was a weird situation two weeks ago, when I was able to buy Vita's for dirt cheap and then still, somehow easily sell the extras off. The number of available Vita's on craigslist at that time, must have been much less. Now, it's overflowing with them. All of us sellers have to compete against each other to try to get the thing sold. Either adding more extras into the mix or lowering the price.
post #8 of 139 Old 04-04-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I just checked Chicagoland craigslist and there was hardly any discounting on used Vitas.

If I were you, I'd post there and just ship the unit to the buyer. You'll get a lot more for your efforts. And don't apologize for trying to make money. I hate when people do that. You said you 'weren't trying to rip anyone off or anything'. Forget that, charge as much as someone is willing to pay for it. Kudos for branching out, hustling and trying to make some extra coin.

We live in a effed up society when people have to act contrite about making money.

PSN = JUST_KEVIN
post #9 of 139 Old 04-04-2012, 10:23 AM

Liked: 11
It doesn't surprise me people are getting rid of these overpriced units that take overpriced games considering the horrible vita sale numbers. I think the vita is bombing just like the pspgo.
post #10 of 139 Old 04-04-2012, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor_Kevin View Post

I just checked Chicagoland craigslist and there was hardly any discounting on used Vitas.

If I were you, I'd post there and just ship the unit to the buyer. You'll get a lot more for your efforts. And don't apologize for trying to make money. I hate when people do that. You said you 'weren't trying to rip anyone off or anything'. Forget that, charge as much as someone is willing to pay for it. Kudos for branching out, hustling and trying to make some extra coin.

We live in a effed up society when people have to act contrite about making money.

I'm not embarrassed to be making money off them, but buying video game stuff and reselling it isn't my gig. I have a normal job. I was just buying these Vita packages, because I could get so many extras with the Vitas for so cheap. So, it was like.... "Why not?". As a money making venture, it really wouldn't be that smart because it's too much effort/time that you have to put into it to really make any decent money.

I just found it a great way to try to get all the Vita stuff that I wanted for very reasonable prices. As soon as I sell that last extra Vita that I have, I'm done with it.
post #11 of 139 Old 04-04-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Cool. I wasn't considering a Vita until I read your thread. Now - at the prices you mentioned, I think it would be worth a look.

PSN = JUST_KEVIN
post #12 of 139 Old 04-04-2012, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor_Kevin View Post

Cool. I wasn't considering a Vita until I read your thread. Now - at the prices you mentioned, I think it would be worth a look.

yeah man, absolutely. I think it's absolutely criminal that they can be had for so cheap. As for getting the games for $17 or $18 or whatever, the $39.99 retail price is way too high in the first place, so certainly paying $17 for misc games seems like an amazing deal, but if the Vita games were priced more appropriately ($29.99), then it wouldn't seem all that amazing. Same thing with the memory cards. I've been getting 4 gig cards for like 9 bucks, and 8 gig cards for like 19 bucks, and that seems like a really good deal, but it's only a good deal because the retail prices of the memory cards are so freaking outrageous.

If a guy is selling a Vita package for $300, and it includes maybe 3 games, memory card and travel case, offer the dude $225. At first the guy will get pissed off at you for offering such a low price, but after 3 or 4 days of the guy getting nothing but lowball offers of $190 and $200, he'll email you back and say, "did you still want to pay $225 for that package?". It's a sad situation for people that originally invested in the Vita, because they are taking a HUGE loss on their initial investment, but it all boils down to supply and demand. Simple economics. Demand for Vita is extremely low (to no fault of the Vita hardware or games imo), and as a result, it's a buyer's market like none other. When the Vita first launched, I thought that the launch prices were kinda laughable (especially the games and memory cards), and I had zero interest in the Vita at those prices, but once I saw what was going on at craigslist, I was all aboard. I absolutely adore the Vita and all the games I have for it. I'm in seventh heaven with my Vita
post #13 of 139 Old 04-04-2012, 04:19 PM

keep checking Amazon Warehouse deals.

They keep popping up at $187
post #14 of 139 Old 04-04-2012, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 60
the vita seemed doomed from the start to me. with smartphones and ipads, who needs a dedicated portable gaming device anymore? no one. it's a dying market. and for some reason, sony decided to jump in that pool for one last swim. probably be their last, i'd say. should have launched ps4 instead.

500 gigs FTW.
post #15 of 139 Old 04-04-2012, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I love my Vita. Ipad is not a gaming machine its a glorifed phone with million of low production 99 cent games. Some people want solid games with production values on the go.
post #16 of 139 Old 04-04-2012, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

the vita seemed doomed from the start to me. with smartphones and ipads, who needs a dedicated portable gaming device anymore? no one. it's a dying market. and for some reason, sony decided to jump in that pool for one last swim. probably be their last, i'd say. should have launched ps4 instead.

I agree that it will be a challenge for Sony to sell these in general but I for one cannot get into "touchscreen only" games...I logged 4 hours straight of Uncharted on the Vita today...have NEVER played anywhere near 4 hours straight of any phone or iPad game...

The problem is most people are perfectly happy with their iPhone/iPad games so it will be a tough hill to climb...I've had my Vita for a month and I feel like I've already gotten my money's worth...
post #17 of 139 Old 04-04-2012, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Vita is a sensational little handheld, and it's staggering how many people are selling these things away just 40 days after the launch. I'm guessing many of these people bought a Vita on an impulse, and they just for whatever reason need some cash really bad, and they decide to sell.

It's really unfortunate, because they are giving up on that handheld WAY too soon imo. I'm having a great time with my Vita. I have at least 5 or 6 great games for it, and can't wait to try more games.
post #18 of 139 Old 04-05-2012, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

the vita seemed doomed from the start to me. with smartphones and ipads, who needs a dedicated portable gaming device anymore? no one. it's a dying market.

I'd say plenty of people. After a slow start, 3Ds sales have picked up after a price cut and good software came out for it. In fact, last I heard it was outpacing the DS. I'd say IOS has taken away alot of the 'casual' market, but the gamers who play Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Uncharted, God of War, and so on and so on can only find those experiences on a Nintendo or Sony portable. Dedicated handheld consoles may never reach numbers from previous gens, but I disagree that there's no market for it.

The Vita, to me, needs to do the following to pick-up sales:

1) Either drop price to $199 as soon as they can, or bundle a memory card and PSN coupon with the current $249 package.

2) Reduce the price of those memory cards.

3) Get some compelling software for it that aren't ports from Ps3/xbox 360. I've got my eye on Gravity Rush, and I'm hoping that we'll see some more 'Only on Vita' games to push people to pick up one.

post #19 of 139 Old 04-05-2012, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Think we're gonna see a pretty good pick up later this year when the price is dropped to 199. Also Activision announced Black Ops 2 to come out for xmas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZKiBYb3jXA
post #20 of 139 Old 04-05-2012, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

Think we're gonna see a pretty good pick up later this year when the price is dropped to 199. Also Activision announced Black Ops 2 to come out for xmas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZKiBYb3jXA

See, now YMMV of course, but announcements like this doesn't compel me to run out and buy a Vita. At best, that's a game I'd buy IF I already owned a Vita( though to be frank, I wouldn't buy COD for any system right now, seriously burnt out on that franchise).

post #21 of 139 Old 04-05-2012, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

See, now YMMV of course, but announcements like this doesn't compel me to run out and buy a Vita. At best, that's a game I'd buy IF I already owned a Vita( though to be frank, I wouldn't buy COD for any system right now, seriously burnt out on that franchise).

you might not but it is the best selling game of all time. unlike guitar hero which is a party game, cod is a online game. Its something you buy to play with your friends online. Since they sell so many copies, you'll always have someone to play online. I'm sure sales will dwindle some day.

Madden comes out every year basically the same thing at 60bux and always sell. COD on the Vita is huge.
post #22 of 139 Old 04-05-2012, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

you might not but it is the best selling game of all time.

Which is why I said YMMV. I'm also curious about how well a portable COD would sell, I'm thinking it's more the kind of game you'd play on a big-screen TV. Not saying it wouldn't sell on Vita, but a system-seller? Don't see it personally. And again, why port over Black Ops 2? Why not create an original Vita-only COD title?

post #23 of 139 Old 04-05-2012, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

i'm guessing black ops. Its cheaper to port besides, it would be pretty sweet to be able to play ps3 players on the vita.
post #24 of 139 Old 04-05-2012, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll be pretty disappointed if the best we can hope from the Vita is a PS3 port machine. Only speaking for myself, of course.....

post #25 of 139 Old 04-05-2012, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

It is what it is. Vita probably isn't for you then. Even the Vita ads slogan is "keep on playing", when you're not at home with the ps3.
post #26 of 139 Old 04-05-2012, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Vita probably isn't for you then.

I wouldn't go that far.....yet. It's been just over a month. Mainly I'd like to see more unique franchises pop up like Gravity Rush. I'm content to wait it out and see how the library develops.

I would take the 'keep on playing' slogan as saying 'you don't need to be at home to have a home console experience.' I don't necessarily equate that to mean that Vita is mainly going to be a port machine and nothing more....rather that it will be home to 'near-Ps3' quality experiences in terms of graphics and production values.

post #27 of 139 Old 04-05-2012, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

agreed. personally I like to play blockbuster games on my big screen with surround sound. Love high production puzzle and mini games like Motorstorm, Stardus and Lumines. I can play few mins at a time while watching the news or in the metro.
post #28 of 139 Old 04-05-2012, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

personally I like to play blockbuster games on my big screen with surround sound. Love high production puzzle and mini games like Motorstorm, Stardus and Lumines. I can play few mins at a time while watching the news or in the metro.

Yeah, I think it just depends on the type of game for me. A game like COD I'm just more likely to play on my 360. Lumines and Stardust are games that just 'seem' like they're more geared towards portables( mind you, I do have Super Stardust on my PS3, outstanding game IMO).

I did say I'm content to wait it out a bit, but who knows, one day the right deal may just sway me to take the plunge( I purchased the 3ds last December when Bestbuy was doing a B2G1 sale PLUS a giftcard with purchase of a 3Ds. Wound up paying $200 for a red 3ds, Zelda OOT, Marioland 3d, and Mario Kart 7). I'm actually fine with paying $249 for the Vita, but the memory card pricing for a decent sized card is outrageous, and games like Lumines, Rayman Orgins, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Wipeout will pique my interest when they get in the $20-25 range. Half of which are ports lol....it's not so much that I'm against ports on the console, but I have a ceiling for how much I'm prepared to pay for it. For instance, Rayman( love that game BTW) for Vita is selling for more than the PS3/360 version....once it hits $20 it's a no-brainer purchase for me.

post #29 of 139 Old 04-05-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
@Blklightning

Most of the highly regarded iPad games don't appeal to me at all. I did the research and downloaded all the top games, but there are only a handful that I like. Games like Dead Space, Infinity Blade, and Modern Combat look great, but are lacking in enjoyable gameplay or have awkward controls. Even a simple game like Tetris is very difficult to play (I can finish Marathon on my PS3/PSP consistently, but can't even break 150 000 on iOS).

I use my ipad mainly for web surfing, but when I do game, the games I play are usually a completely different sort compared to what I play on my Vita or home consoles. I play mainly board and puzzle games (chess, sudoku, reversi etc). RTS and tower defense games are well suited for the iPad, but I'm not really into those types of games (you've played one, you've played them all). The only one that has captured my attention is Kingdom Rush (reminds me a bit of PixelJunk Monsters).

The great thing about iOS is that there is so much choice that you are bound to find something you like. The hard part is finding it. There are a few real gems out there like Machinarium, Superbrothers, Scribblenauts, Beat Sneak Bandit, Angry Birds Space (so much better than previous versions etc), but most of the games I've bought have been a complete waste of money. Yeah, the games are cheap, but it adds up and if you never play the game, it's still a waste.

I think there is a decent market for people who want more from their portable gaming experience. Vita isn't doing great right now, but a $50 dollar price drop at Christmas and a few high profile releases could change things quickly.

I have to admit my Vita is starting to bore me though. The launch lineup was good, but Sony needs to get the momentum going again. The recent system update was rather lackluster (where's the html5, psone, playstation suite support?). The Gravity Daze demo is available on retail demo models, but not on PSN... c'mon Sony, throw us a bone.

Hopefully, there will be a lot of Vita announcements at E3.
post #30 of 139 Old 04-05-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post

I use my ipad mainly for web surfing, but when I do game, the games I play are usually a completely different sort, compared to what I play on my Vita or home consoles.

Truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklighning View Post

Dedicated gaming portables are doing just fine. Just look at the 3DS. The problem isn't the portable market. The problem is Sony. As usual, a great device with terrible marketing, terrible support, terrible consumer relations, etc.

When Nintendo sensed that there was even the slightest hint of a consumer backlash against the 3DS, they jumped on it immediately. Dropped the price, gave a bunch of free games to early adopters, and got some great titles out the door. Sony, as usual, is incredibly slow to change tactics. It's ridiculous that Sony already needs to "relaunch" the Vita. But that's exactly what they'll need to do at E3. And the publisher support just isn't there. Publishers got burned by the PSP, so they're reluctant to jump on board again. And without a massive swell in consumer interest, there's no reason for publishers to bother. In most consumers' minds, the Vita is just where the lower-tier versions of the big PS3 franchises go. That's a tough sell, and it's a bad image. Sony needs to change that. Fast. Get some awesome original content out there. I'm really amazed that they wouldn't have more lined up. Instead, we're all supposed to wait until June to see what an already launched device can do?! Sony's business strategies defy logic.

It's still very far from a "failure" or "bomb," but Sony can't just sit back and expect the Vita to magically sell itself. Frankly, I'm amazed (but not surprised) that Sony's not doing anything to build interest. No changes in price. No surprise feature announcements. No major game announcements. Nothing. It's really no wonder that the second-hand market is undercutting Sony's own pricing.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page