post #31 of 97 Old 04-03-2012, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Since I have Amazon Prime already, I tried to test out the new service. Unfortunately, after the connection speed test it gives me an error message saying that it doesn't know my speed and suggests I call customer support.

I called Amazon and they couldn't figure it out and said I should try again tomorrow. For the record, Amazon Prime streaming still works fine on my PC. Hopefully it gets sorted out soon.

Maybe it's getting bombed on PS3 because it's the first day. I might wait a day then jump in to give it a whirl. I've had prime a couple years but hardly used the streaming bonus. Could've wrestled with my laptop and got it to talk to my HT system but convenience is king!

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 97 Old 04-03-2012, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post

Maybe it's getting bombed on PS3 because it's the first day. I might wait a day then jump in to give it a whirl. I've had prime a couple years but hardly used the streaming bonus. Could've wrestled with my laptop and got it to talk to my HT system but convenience is king!

It's not working for me. Every time I try to play a video, I get an error saying my internet connection is not working. My internet is working fine so who knows what's going on.
post #33 of 97 Old 04-03-2012, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

Damnit. I will test later. If it's tied to the Logitech One, I'm going to be disappointed.

We have had NUMEROUS tornadoes in my area, so I've not been in there playing on my stuff. In fact I just got back power about 1 1/2 hours ago after being out for a long time.

Works with a Harmony 650 with the official BT adapter, launched with remote.

PSN: futurecode
post #34 of 97 Old 04-03-2012, 10:54 PM

Liked: 10
Downloaded, started it up, and chose Firefly HD to test out. Was easy to setup and works as expected. Now they just need to let us setup a queue.
post #35 of 97 Old 04-04-2012, 05:41 AM

I think adding the Amazon app just made sense.

They're a pretty big player in the VOD & streaming market especially if you are a Prime customer. Despite different offerings I think it'll only boost what our PS3's are capable of in the long run and hopefully we see this same kind of support & video access on the PS4.

For now I'm really happy with everything I can do from the console:
  • Hulu
  • Vudu
  • Netflix
  • Amazon
  • CinemaNow
  • Sony Music Service
  • Sony Video Service
  • Various Sports apps

Now if there were an official Pandora or iHeart Radio app...
post #36 of 97 Old 04-04-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
I can launch it from the Harmony One, sometimes it will work right, but most the time when I hit the stop button, it brings up a bar at the bottom that says hit X to pause, then the remote quits working.

As far as the service not working, I'm with the other person who said they probably got slammed yesterday. It was working fine during work hours. Same thing happened to Netflix both when the disc came out, and later when discless was released.
post #37 of 97 Old 04-04-2012, 08:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Great addition. Been wanting this for a while. Of course now some one needs to set up a website that compares the prices on amazon/VUDU/PSN and ideally FIOS for movies.
post #38 of 97 Old 04-04-2012, 08:46 AM

Amazon Prime finally started working for me. I've been waiting for this a long time to have on the PS3. The UI on the PS3 is way better compared to the UI on my Samsung.
post #39 of 97 Old 04-04-2012, 12:40 PM

Is anyone only getting 480p with this app? I can't find anyplace to change this setting, but it defaults (menus and all) to 480p. Doesn't look good at all on my projector.

Just to answer the first obvious question, the PS3 is outputting 1080p for blu-ray, Vudu, Netflix, etc.
post #40 of 97 Old 04-04-2012, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
I think I saw a setting to force the app to SD. Could you have selected that somehow? It may have been something you select while watching, I can't recall.
post #41 of 97 Old 04-04-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Varney View Post

Is anyone only getting 480p with this app? I can't find anyplace to change this setting, but it defaults (menus and all) to 480p. Doesn't look good at all on my projector.

Just to answer the first obvious question, the PS3 is outputting 1080p for blu-ray, Vudu, Netflix, etc.

That's odd. I don't recall seeing any settings in the app. I just started the app after I downloaded it, registered the PS3 with Amazon, and that's it.

The only thing I can think of trying is going into the PS3 settings and not selecting 480p output. If that doesn't work, maybe you should delete the app and reinstall it.
post #42 of 97 Old 04-04-2012, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I was checking the store every Tuesday for the Amazon app and I am glad they finally added it. However I am going to stick with Netflix. On the Amazon site most of the movies I chose were pay-per-view junk. I refuse to pay to play anything. I rather just pay a monthly subscription rate and be able to stream whatever I want. At least whenever I go on the Netflix site I can choose any of there programs to stream.

Anyway most of the movies and TV shows that they stream on Amazon Prime Netflix already has.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony S5100 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Toshiba 39L2300U 39-Inch 1080p.
Cats are the best pets.
post #43 of 97 Old 04-04-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Varney View Post

Well, I figured this one out. After deleting and re-installing the app to no avail, I checked the display settings of the PS3. I had 480p (which cannot be unchecked) and 1080p checked. On a whim, I checked 720p and the Amazon Instant app began running in HD (720p). Odd that the PS3 isn't upscaling this... I assume it does for Netflix videos that aren't 1080p.
post #44 of 97 Old 04-04-2012, 07:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 578
I tried this tonight an it was a major fail. The audio is borked. The PS3 is sending a stereo signal in a 7.1 wrapper. The UI was nice, but with the borked audio I would never use it..

EDIT: And 5.1 is the same way. It's being sent in a 7.1 wrapper. Netflix works fine. It sends out stereo or 5.1 audio properly but the Amazon app is borked. Major Fail.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #45 of 97 Old 04-04-2012, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

works great for me! love it!
post #46 of 97 Old 04-04-2012, 10:27 PM
Advanced Member

I can't even get the registration to work. Been trying for two hours with multiple different codes. Silly question but do you have to be connected wirelessly on your PS3 and take the code while it is still connected and then log in on the computer and register it?

I don't hae a wireless connection so I'm just taking the code and then going offline, getting on my PC and trying to register. It isn't working at all. It just says "Wait one moment while we register your TV or device with your Amazon.com account" and it does that to no end.
post #47 of 97 Old 04-04-2012, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uni_panther View Post

I can't even get the registration to work. Been trying for two hours with multiple different codes. Silly question but do you have to be connected wirelessly on your PS3 and take the code while it is still connected and then log in on the computer and register it?

I don't hae a wireless connection so I'm just taking the code and then going offline, getting on my PC and trying to register. It isn't working at all. It just says "Wait one moment while we register your TV or device with your Amazon.com account" and it does that to no end.

you have to be online on your computer and your PS3 whiel you punch in that code
post #48 of 97 Old 04-04-2012, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonies View Post

you have to be online on your computer and your PS3 whiel you punch in that code

Thank you. That is what I was beginning to suspect. Kinda stinks. I have Amazon prime and no way to register as I'm not going to go set up a wireless network just to register my PS3.
post #49 of 97 Old 04-05-2012, 12:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Bah, I still can't get it running. I keep getting the error message saying it can't calculate my connection speed.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #50 of 97 Old 04-05-2012, 02:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonies View Post

works great for me! love it!

So are you using multichannel output? What happens when you play a stereo source? Do you use 7.1 from your receiver? What happens when you play a 5.1 source.

I could get the PS3 to send the audio correctly by unchecking audio options and forcing it to only output properly in stereo or 5.1 audio. But that would mean I would need to constantly mess with the audio settings which makes no sense. At least I can use my ROku for Amazon streaming. It doesn't have the issues that the PS3 has with the Amazon App.

LED DLP

post #51 of 97 Old 04-05-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 81
My wife has Prime so we registered last night. Watched the Star Treck: DS9 (she's a big fan, I like it okay) first episode since neither of us had seen it in some time and it was fine. Stuttered a little at the start but then was smooth. Picture was soft but I don't know how good the source material is.

Always nice to have more options!
post #52 of 97 Old 04-05-2012, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

Bah, I still can't get it running. I keep getting the error message saying it can't calculate my connection speed.

Maybe your 14.4 modem is dying?

Now playing: Watch Dogs

Recently Finished: Southpark: Stick of Truth, Infamous: SS

PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33

post #53 of 97 Old 04-05-2012, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

I had no trouble registering my PS3 and then watched some standard def stuff, looked perfectly acceptable to me, then tried an HD offering "License to Drive" (Hey, I like it!) and it looked I'd say DVD quality while displaying the HD icon. The source could be soft, etc.., Nothing objectionable in my opinion and played clean and smooth with near instantaneous response. I also like the interface. Only gripe is that I can't figure out how to add to my library or collection while browsing the content, like putting s title in my Netflix Queue.

PSN: VinnAY-DBC
post #54 of 97 Old 04-05-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by uni_panther View Post

Thank you. That is what I was beginning to suspect. Kinda stinks. I have Amazon prime and no way to register as I'm not going to go set up a wireless network just to register my PS3.

Do you have a smart phone?

Chris Schempp
How to post links to Amazon.com Products.
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #55 of 97 Old 04-05-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince2909 View Post

Only gripe is that I can't figure out how to add to my library or collection while browsing the content, like putting s title in my Netflix Queue.

Unfortunately you can't queue up content in Amazon. Your Library on Amazon will only contain things you "own" (TV shows and movies you bought) or are on a current rental period.

Otherwise, the biggest thing I find lacking in terms of the PS3 Amazon browser is the "Special Deals" category, which appears in the Roku interface and includes free content as well as deeply discounted content for purchasing or renting.
post #56 of 97 Old 04-05-2012, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

whoever wrote this is either an idiot or a ps3 fanboy. downloading and streaming files is cake and takes less than five minutes of actual human work time.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #57 of 97 Old 04-05-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

Maybe your 14.4 modem is dying?

I get 45 MB down and 4 MB up. I tried deleting the app and reloading it but it still didn't work. I don't really see any other reports like mine online, so I guess it is an isolated problem.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #58 of 97 Old 04-05-2012, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:

I get 45 MB down and 4 MB up. I tried deleting the app and reloading it but it still didn't work. I don't really see any other reports like mine online, so I guess it is an isolated problem.

Get hold of your ISP and tell them your problem. Could be that Amazon VOD is being blocked or throttled for some reason.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #59 of 97 Old 04-05-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

netflix has a lot of content. however, most of it is garbage.

EDIT:

after skimming through amazon's app, i have to say that it looks like netflix lite. it's all the same stuff. i don't see any point in getting this if you already have netflix. what a letdown.

EDIT 2:

after further review, this service is terrible. they want you to pay extra to stream a movie from the 80s. not happening. when i search for an actor, almost every movie i'd actually want to watch is a pay per view rental. glad i skimmed through because now i'm not even wasting my time with the 30 day trial.

You aren't paying extra. You are paying for Amazon Prime. The streaming is just an add on to the Amazon Prime service.
The content between Netflix and Amazon has always had alot of overlap. This is nothing new. But there are still titles that one has and not the other. Amazon streaming is great as an add on to the Amazon Prime service. But not to get as a stand alone product.

LED DLP

post #60 of 97 Old 04-05-2012, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Schempp View Post

Do you have a smart phone?

A buddy at work gave me his little device that acts as wireless hotspot. About the size of a cell phone. Some little Verizon thing. Gave me the password and everything for it so while it may not be real fast it only has to be good enough to hold a connection while I sync my PS3. I'm going to give that a shot tonight when I get home from work.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page