Any advice on getting a PS3 to work? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-04-2012, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I got a PS3 from a friend. He gave it to me. It's an original 60GB unit with the 4 USB ports, backwards compat, etc. The downside is that I can't get any display out of it. He knew/thought it was broken and this is why he gave it to me.

I hooked up an HDMI cable and power cord and turned it on. The red light came on in front. I pressed the I/O button and I heard a "DING" and the light changed to green. But I got nothing on screen. I am on the correct input on the TV and it is a modern samsung that is capable of 1080p.

I tried holding the I/O button until I heard some dings and it powered itself down into standby. I touched the I/O button and still no display.

I did the same as above and then repeated the process until I got multiple dings close together. I read that this could bring up some root menu that would allow me to restore to factory defaults, format the HD, etc. Still no display. I also tried plugging in a controller and hitting all the buttons in this stage, nothing.

I then tried removing the HD and powering up, nothing. Put it back, nothing.

I am running out of ideas and thinking it needs repair but wanted to ask if anyone has any more ideas. I called Play N Trade about repair and they said it would be $30 to check it and then a min of $90 to repair and that price could go up. Not sure if it's worth the risk of paying for the repair when I could buy a new one for $250 or simply forget this whole business and use my 360 instead.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
if you have a modern TV it should show something... but the way you clear the video settings is (with the system off) you hold down the power button until the first beep, then you let go, at this point you should be getting an image...

also did you try the other AV out? perhaps only the HDMI out is broken and you can still get component or composite video out of the regular AV out. If you have a PS2, you can use that AV cable to test (it works for a ps3 too).... again, you'd want to hold down the power button until the first beep if you use a regular AV cable to clear whatever settings are currently set.

If that doesn't work, I'd dump it for a few bucks on EBAY
post #3 of 7 Old 04-04-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 287
Unplug the console and tv. Check all your connections, plug them back in, and turn on your ps3, holding down the power until it cycles through and turns off again. That got mine working.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #4 of 7 Old 04-04-2012, 04:28 PM

Liked: 10
You mentioned "an Hdmi cable", was it the same one your friend was using?

If you currently have a working ps3, record the precise buttons you push to get to the display area and mimic those on your non functioning unit.

Also, if you discover it was simply a faulty Hdmi, you should let your friend know. However, that's none of my business.

Best of luck
post #5 of 7 Old 04-04-2012, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 160
do the reset i have to do it anytime i switch to a differnet display.

with unit in standby(red light on) lay finger on power button and keep it there until you hear another beep then take finger off.

That shoud reset vid settings, if that dont work id google the problem and see if anyone else had the same problem.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-05-2012, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
Tried the button thing... no go. I am wondering if there was any more involved fix it guides... like where you open up the box and well, fix stuff. The xbox has a lot of these...
post #7 of 7 Old 04-05-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper View Post

Tried the button thing... no go. I am wondering if there was any more involved fix it guides... like where you open up the box and well, fix stuff. The xbox has a lot of these...

Maybe cause the Xbox, well... needed a lot of fixing.

Hook the PS3 up with the supplied AV cable. You can then switch it to HDMI in the setup menu.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page