post #31 of 49 Old 04-08-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

I know, right? Pure gold. And we know it's possible with the current hardware. Sony themselves is the only limiting factor.

I've always heard that remote play is worthless because it's so choppy and framey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 04-08-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

I've always heard that remote play is worthless because it's so choppy and framey.

Remote play on PSP is choppy and laggy (and worthless), but all we have to go by on Vita are some random videos by a small handful of hackers, so who knows how well it would work through legitimate development. You'll have to confirm how it works with existing PSN and PS1 games, but I've heard it's surprisingly limited. Sony claimed back at TGS last year that they intended to get this working for PS3 titles (like Killzone 3), but it has yet to materialize.

Either this was a totally false promise, or Sony's having second thoughts about whether or not to go down this road. They (and third-party publishers) may have decided that it's more profitable to sell dedicated copies of Vita versions of PS3 games. This already happened with BC for PS3 (where they decided they could re-sell digital copies of PS2 games instead), so I wouldn't be surprised. And I don't really blame them. But if they do decide that they'd rather do it this way (selling dedicated Vita versions), I wish they'd incentivize the whole thing a bit better.

Again, we'll know at E3.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #33 of 49 Old 04-09-2012, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

I'd be content if the Vita could simply remote play ps3 games. I've only got one TV in the house( no plans to get another right now) that's shared between 3 people. If I could remotely play my PS3 games while the wifey is watching HGTV or whatever, that would be a huge selling point for me.

my biggest complaint...
post #34 of 49 Old 04-09-2012, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I think they'll lose out on a lot of sales until Remote Play is working. If it worked, I'd buy one.

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
post #35 of 49 Old 04-09-2012, 07:03 AM

If anybody is interested me and my buddy review the PS Vita when it first came out. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NwL3yteFHM

Xbox LIVE Tag: D O N K E R

Playstation Network Tag: DONKER

Wii number 1548 - 0387 - 3348 - 3546

Proud Aperion owner!!

post #36 of 49 Old 04-09-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post

I think they'll lose out on a lot of sales until Remote Play is working. If it worked, I'd buy one.

If sales continue to be "good enough," Sony will have no reason to include it. Like I said above, they and publishers stand to lose money by including it. It's exactly why PS2 BC got phased out of the PS3. Why give people for free what you can charge them $50 for? Sony might be able to sell more Vitas, but then they piss off publishers. Even with slightly fewer sales, Sony more than makes up the difference in the price of the PS3-to-Vita ports and in continued publisher support.

The more I say it, the more it feels true. Sucks. I hope E3 proves me wrong. I really want a reason to buy one.

post #37 of 49 Old 04-09-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I wanted to report back on the download speed and app install experience. We purchased a couple of games from the online store last night, and download times were still pretty slow, but not too bad; and the Vita did indeed download (but not install) while the screen was blanked.

In regards to nickel and diming, yes that's my complaint on little things like needing a stand to sit it and watch, the expense of the memory card, etc. My opinion is that little things like this DO add up to a poor experience.

The most aggrevating thing about the Vita though has been inability to play the large library of PSP and Mini apps we had purchased for our PSP. We sold the PSP with the thought that most, if not all, our PSP apps would play just fine, to find that maybe 5% of them actually work. I can possibly understand why some of the PSP apps don't work, but why so few of the Minis?
post #38 of 49 Old 04-10-2012, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post

yup, would have been a pre-order for me if remote play was implemented fully.... I'd have to say it isn't selling well because a)Sony can't effectively market their stuff; but mostly b) people already have their smartphones and maybe even a tablet for mobile gaming and with a majority of free apps on those devices, it's tough justifying another $250 + $40 games in this economy.
post #39 of 49 Old 04-10-2012, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkoza View Post

I'd have to say it isn't selling well because a)Sony can't effectively market their stuff; but mostly b) people already have their smartphones and maybe even a tablet for mobile gaming and with a majority of free apps on those devices, it's tough justifying another $250 + $40 games in this economy.

I think that $250 tag is the kicker; the 3ds is selling fine at $169, particularly now that system sellers like Mario 3dland and Kart are out. Sony is going to have to drop to $199 before this thing starts to move units, as well as implementing features that should have been available at launch( PSX emulator, the ability to download PSP games directly to the Vita without a PS3, and so on).

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #40 of 49 Old 04-10-2012, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

Sony is going to have to drop to $199 before this thing starts to move units, as well as implementing features that should have been available at launch( PSX emulator, the ability to download PSP games directly to the Vita without a PS3, and so on).

Pack in an 8gb memory card, and you've got yourself a deal!

post #41 of 49 Old 04-10-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Pack in an 8gb memory card, and you've got yourself a deal!

At the very least, a 4gb. Smartphones come with internal memory, 3ds comes with a 2gb card, I-devices all have internal memory. Where portable devices go, the precedent of including storage has been set. Hell, Sony even did so with the PSP, so lord knows why they didn't include the basic 4gb card with Vita. Considering it's their own format, they could EASILY pack-in the lowest storage card. Hell x2, all the consoles(both home and handheld) in the last generation have their own storage included.

post #42 of 49 Old 04-10-2012, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 36
To anyone on the fence buying I would say wait till more games are available.
I've already chewed through Uncharted, Dungeon Hunter, Super Stardust(all planets), Mutant Blob(great game) and traded in Lumines (colorful but boring).
Also traded in Rayman Origins(I can't belive I bought this when I already have it on the 360).
I bought a 32 Gig mem card and have not filled it up yet with all the demo's available. I should have just saved my money and bought the cheapest mem card.
Current release schedule for the Vita has very few games upcoming for 2012. I've always wanted to play a Disgaea game. Tactical RPG? That's about the only thing with a release date that looks interesting. Everything else has 'to be announced' date next to the name. I'm wondering if developers might jump ship and cancel games.
post #43 of 49 Old 04-10-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

I've been less than impressed with how Sony has handled the Vita, but I feel they'll turn it around( for their sake, sooner than later). The failure of the Vita will effectively signal their departure from the portable gaming space, and I'm sure with the dollars invested in this thing they won't let it sink without putting some real effort into selling it. They do need to hurry up with whatever their strategy is, though...

post #44 of 49 Old 04-10-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
My daughter started playing Mutant Blobs on Sunday, she loves it! She was surprised how good it is. She's also playing Escape Plan and Super Stardust. She bought Touch my Katamari, but complained the difficulty ramps up too quickly, so moving through levels ends too fast. As you can see, I'm not getting to play the Vita much

Hustle Kings is pretty good on the Vita, and it was free since I already had it on the PS3, but it can get boring to me.

We played the Puddle demo on the PS3, and we both commented it should be a Vita game. I see an opportunity for a new Loco Roco too, where's that for Vita?
post #45 of 49 Old 04-10-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkoza View Post

it's tough justifying another $250 + $40 games in this economy.

The $40 per game thing is the bigger problem imo. Sure, if Sony were to drop the price of the Vita to $199 they would see a huge uptick in Vita sales, but the $39.99 price is still very prohibitive. I remember when Nintendo first dropped the price of the 3DS to $169.99. I was VERY, VERY tempted to buy one. But I was at Target, and I was looking at the game library and every game was $39.99 (at the time). I thought to myself, "Well it's nice they dropped the price to $170, but the games are still too damn expensive".

We ended up buying one of our boys a 3DS for Xmas, but we got it on a deal where it only cost us $120 for the brand new unit, so it wasn't so bad. We only bought him 3D Super Mario World, and a couple of $9.99 games that Best Buy had at the time (Steel Diver and Nintendogs). We just got him Rayman 3D for $9.99 for Easter, since I heard that game is kinda decent and it was only 10 bucks.

If you go to Target now and look at the 3DS lineup, you'lll notice that there are some games on sale for $9.99, some games for $19.99, and all the other prices up to $39.99 for the tentpole releases. Vita needs this to happen as well. It needs to have a handful of $19.99 games, and some $29.99 games, because that $39.99 price on every single game is a non-starter imo.

(Note: I buy 85 percent of my physical games via Craiglist, because usually I can save around 50 percent off retail, but I know that many people don't want to bother with Craigslist, because they feel it's too much of a hassle, or it's not safe where they live)
post #46 of 49 Old 04-10-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

If you go to Target now and look at the 3DS lineup, you'lll notice that there are some games on sale for $9.99, some games for $19.99, and all the other prices up to $39.99 for the tentpole releases. Vita needs this to happen as well. It needs to have a handful of $19.99 games, and some $29.99 games, because that $39.99 price on every single game is a non-starter imo.

Indeed, I'd love to see more tiered pricing as well. Not all games are created equal and if priced accordingly, I may be more interested in certain games if they were priced at $19.99 or even $24.99. As it is,I mainly buy AA or AAA titles and don't even bother with alot of games now. Don't have the flexibility in my budget nowadays to buy anything but the top games for each system.

post #47 of 49 Old 04-10-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia88 View Post

Current release schedule for the Vita has very few games upcoming for 2012. I've always wanted to play a Disgaea game. Tactical RPG? That's about the only thing with a release date that looks interesting. Everything else has 'to be announced' date next to the name. I'm wondering if developers might jump ship and cancel games.

That's what happened with the PSP.

I'm interested in:
Persona 4
Street Fighter X Tekken
Final Fantasy X

... of course, all these games currently exist for systems I own. I really don't think we'll see Bioshock for a long time/ever.

PSV needs a monster E3.
post #48 of 49 Old 04-11-2012, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
3DS has been around for more than a year, vita has been out for what a month or two? its gonna take awhile for game prices start falling.
post #49 of 49 Old 04-12-2012, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

Just bumping this thread to give you guys my online profiles if anyone wants to add a mature, tbut uses foul language, adult to there friends list.

psn: Droozy
360: Bowler

also a frequent member of www.dadsofgaming.com
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page