Droozy's PS Vita Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 49 Old 04-04-2012, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

As a father of two teenagers, a wife, 2 pug dogs, and a cat that I never see. My gaming time has been neutered to almost a nonexistent time frame. My Virtual time is relished to my iphone. If I can stay awake, the time when all of the above finally fall asleep, is when the PS3 and Xbox finally cheer, gracing a game inside its players, instead of Netflix, or being used as some other form of media player. To put my gaming time in perspective, I have about 70 hours clocked into skyrim in a four month period, without one other game gracing the disc reader. It was last month, when the wife and I were planning my daughters dance competition, in which is a weekend affair at a hotel, that my wonderful wife said after watching the MLB 12 the show game changer commercial, why don't we get you that so you have something to do at dance?

http://www.youtube.com/user/PlayStation?v=rXRfSgXAmoM

Now at first, I really thought, that no way would I enjoy a 5 inch screen, most likely playing kiddy games, it's for kids etc. Ironically while thinking this, I was in the middle of a Draw Something match where a penis was being drawn into a vagina for the word snuggle.' At this point I realized that, you know what, let's see what this is all about. With youtube at my beck and call, I wanted to see what the PSVITA was all about.

http://www.youtube.com/user/PlayStation?v=yoOK7xrSP7w

I picked up one of these handheld beasts, in which the sale also included a 4 GB memory card (which is not included, and the memory format is proprietary to Sony) Now I didn't have any extra cash, unit was $249.99 + tax, but I did have some PSN point's cash, so my first game was Attack of the mutant Blob:

Here are the Specs of this piece of kit:

CPU - ARM Cortex A9 core (4 core)
GPU - SGX543MP4+
Screen - 5 inches, 960 x 544 (16:9), Approx. 16 million colors,
OLED Multi touch screen, capacitive
Memory - 512MB
VRAM - 512MB
Cameras - Front 120fps@320×240(QVGA), 60fps@640×480(VGA)
Rear - Up to 640×480(VGA)
o 3G (On 3G model only)
o 802.11b/g/n wireless
o Bluetooth 2.1+EDR (A2DP/AVRCP/HSP)
Ports - Vita slot, memory card, SIM (3G model only), multi-use port, audio, serial data, headset jack, accessory port
Dimensions - 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm WHD
Music - MP3, MPEG 3, MP4 (MPEG-4 AAC), WAVE (Linear PCM)- Videos - MPEG 4 (AAC), H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High/Main/Baseline Profile (AAC)- Photos - JPEG,TIFF, BMP, GIF, PNG

I fired this beast up, and had no issue connecting to my PSN account, and my wifi, Etc. and was blown away at how rich and vibrant the OLED screen really is. The Dual Analog thumb controllers felt awesome, even with my big Hands (6'4 tall), but after playing for awhile, I did start cramping a bit, so I just ordered a case that has preformed hand Grips. Touch screen on the front and rear responds well, and the cameras (front and rear) work flawlessly, and are as good as my iphone 4 camera. The Netflix App works flawlessly, including my entire instant que, and searchable variants as seen in all other Netflix apps. The twitter app works, and the facebook app works good as well. It does need the internet browser redone, it works and handles most websites with ease, but the Vita is sorely missing a youtube app. It also sports a Near App that allows you to see other people in your vicinity that is also playing via the Vita, and allows you to message them like a forum, showcase your games and Trophies, including your trophies for PS3, which are linked together. I really haven't messed around with the other OS apps that come with the vita though as a gamer, the Games are my priority.

Onto the PSN store, I was happy to find out that Sony and Scion teamed up to launch Motorstorm RC as a free game to compliment the PSVITA launch, and I must say, it's a great game, that I probably would of paid for. Controls are wonky at first, until you realize you have to control a RC Car, and not to drive it like a real car. Just throwing it out there that I have destroyed everyone on my Friends list with my track times. This is also set up like Trials HD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItXzMMFttIM

This past week, I went with the Sony 1st part juggernaut titles, MLB 12 the show, and Uncharted Golden Abyss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVdoyJwBB6s

These two games alone are incredible in detail, controls, and mechanics. Honestly these games being like launch titles, begs the question, what will Vita games look like in a year or two? Proving that it's almost like having a mini PS3 in your hands. But if that is what you were expecting when you bought the Vita, you will be disappointed.

When the Vita was first Announced at E3, and then really shown to the public last year at TCS Expo. Also Right on the heels of the wiiU announcement that the wii u will have a tablet controller, with a 6 inch screen that will interact with the console itself. Sony Not to be outdone, said that we have already done that, the future is now, and began playing Killzone 3 via the Vita linked to the PS3. Known as Remote Play, will give you the power to take control of your ps3 via wire link or Wifi, and play ps3 or PSN games. That in of itself put me over the edge and put me into the Vita investment corner. As some of you know, my game library is quite untouched, with a slew of games begging to be played. This backlog, I thought would be easily brought down via this Remote play. Sadly it is not working. Barring two or three games that do work, most do not, including killzone 3. Sony has issued only one statement on the matter, Saying Stay Tuned, more information will follow Whatever that means, but of interesting note, they are introducing Cross play. Cross play is that the ps3 version of a game, will allow cross playing to the vita version of the game. Save files, rosters, etc, are compatible in both versions. Cool feature, but with a side effect that you have to actually buy both versions. Now Sony did offer a $20 discount if you bought the ps3 version and Vita version of MLB 12 the show. But to me, it is overkill. Again going back to my limited playing time, why have 2 versions of the same game, as if Remote play worked as Sony announced, then I could just buy the ps3 version and remote play it via the vita. As already stated that isn't active so I settled on just the Vita version.

Other Complaints I have is that they say the battery will last 6-8 hours, but as you will see below my times were different and different games greatly influenced battery life:

All fields below are shown from a full charge to Low battery Warning

Netflix movie watching- 4 hours 7 minutes
PSN Downloadable game Motorstorm and Blob- 4 hours 32 minutes
Disc based Game - MLB 12- 3 hours 58 Minutes
General mix of facebook App, Netflix movie, Internet Browsing, and Motorstorm- 5 hours 2 minutes
So about 4 and half hours doing anything on the vita is about all you get. You can play while the Vita is being charged though.

All in all, I'm happy with my purchase, but wish there was something that the mainstream public would see as a console seller. This review will probably not influence any of you to go out and buy one, as most of the games, are already out on your console and TV. For my scenario, my situation, it couldn't be a better buy. Sitting down after a long day of work, dinner is all ate, house is cleaned, and Kids are getting their homework done. Sitting, with my favorite Daddy refreshment, a snack, and a loving wife, who really needs to watch that last episode of Desperate Housewife's, I sit and say No Problem. As I grab my Vita, then fire up my pre made Starting Pitcher in MLB 12, and Glance over to my wife, wink and smile, knowing that I'm happy I'm gaming, and she's happy watching whatever train wreck TV show that women love. Thank you Vita that is

A #gamechanger.

Actual Screenshots:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 04-05-2012, 01:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I'm right there with you buddy. The Vita is a portable dream machine. My only worry is the mainstream success of the thing. Hopefully, Sony will have tons and tons of Vita stuff at e3 to get consumers interested in the device. They will probably need to drop the price $50 on each unit as well. I fully expect both things to happen, and I think the Vita will be one of the hottest Xmas gifts this year, with the portable version of Call of Duty.

Things look kinda bleak right now for the Vita in terms of sales and such, but I think things can turn around in a hurry, and I'm looking forward to being right there as it happens. May 29th is Resistance on Vita day, and it's a day I'm looking forward to in a major way!

post #3 of 49 Old 04-05-2012, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

post #4 of 49 Old 04-05-2012, 07:08 PM

Liked: 16
It only does everything.
post #5 of 49 Old 04-06-2012, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Can you skype on it?

(PS ..is that a picture of you on your throne holding the vita?...I totally approve)

TV - Samsung DLP 4674W
Receiver - Pioneer 1015-K
Speakers - Polk 6901 (7.1 setup)
Sub - PSW303
DVD - LG 3510A
post #6 of 49 Old 04-06-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Is it just me, or is there NO way to keep the Vita on, even when plugged in? The sleep function doesn't seem to have a "no sleep" setting. Game downloads are very slow, and it is aggrevating for the unit to keep turning itself off.
post #7 of 49 Old 04-06-2012, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinoza_43221 View Post

Can you skype on it?

(PS ..is that a picture of you on your throne holding the vita?...I totally approve)

Totally me. lol Skype app is reportedly being worked on. I feel a YouTube app is needed before that though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

Is it just me, or is there NO way to keep the Vita on, even when plugged in? The sleep function doesn't seem to have a "no sleep" setting. Game downloads are very slow, and it is aggrevating for the unit to keep turning itself off.

I completely disagree. The downloads times are quicker then the ps3 because the OS has more ram. And sleep mode ( blue ps button light will flash every minute) will still do downloads and hold onto what ever you were doing.
post #8 of 49 Old 04-06-2012, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

The only thing that bothers me is that you can't easily fit that in your pocket so once your out of pocket size then your competing against tablets and netbooks.

For example

Today you could get an Acer Aspire AO722-0825 netbook at staples for 250.
Slap Steam on their and then you have plenty of games you could play on it.

I know its tough to compare but do you feel its more valuable than a full on netbook?

TV - Samsung DLP 4674W
Receiver - Pioneer 1015-K
Speakers - Polk 6901 (7.1 setup)
Sub - PSW303
DVD - LG 3510A
post #9 of 49 Old 04-06-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droozy View Post

I completely disagree. The downloads times are quicker then the ps3 because the OS has more ram. And sleep mode ( blue ps button light will flash every minute) will still do downloads and hold onto what ever you were doing.

Interesting. This hasn't been my experience at all. In fact we've given up downloading on the Vita and download all Vita apps on the PS3 then transfer them over. It's a pain.

If the downloads still work, that's good news, but it hasn't seemed that way for us. I'll try again now that we have the new firmware.

It's an impressive piece of hardware, but it does have its faults, too; or at least a bunch of little things that are somewhat aggrevating to me. For example, I hate the power cord being proprietary, and hate that it plugs into the bottom. The power cord going into the bottom makes it almost impossible to use it to watch Netflix while it's plugged in, especially if you want to sit it on a table or nightstand to view.
post #10 of 49 Old 04-06-2012, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

Interesting. This hasn't been my experience at all. In fact we've given up downloading on the Vita and download all Vita apps on the PS3 then transfer them over. It's a pain.

If the downloads still work, that's good news, but it hasn't seemed that way for us. I'll try again now that we have the new firmware.

It's an impressive piece of hardware, but it does have its faults, too; or at least a bunch of little things that are somewhat aggrevating to me. For example, I hate the power cord being proprietary, and hate that it plugs into the bottom. The power cord going into the bottom makes it almost impossible to use it to watch Netflix while it's plugged in, especially if you want to sit it on a table or nightstand to view.

That is weird. I actually timed my download of hustle kings on both the ps3 and vita. vita beat the ps3 by 4 minutes. Now im going on a limb here, but there have been mulitple reports saying the ps3 download speeds got a bump in speed with one of the FE updates that allowed more OS ram for devs to use. Its also why Download times are quicker when the ps3 is using its PS+ Auto download feature, as the operating system is greatly reduced. Add that the Vita has twice as much Ram for its OS = quicker downloads.

Admittedly, I could be full of sh*t. But whats I said above has been noted before.

As for the plug on the bottom... you bring up a great point that, most likely sony wanted to nickel and dime even more, by forcing you to get this:

http://us.playstation.com/psvita/acc...sv-cradle.html

post #11 of 49 Old 04-06-2012, 08:42 PM

If people dont like proprietary cards/cables etc. then DO NOT buy Sony products, or Apple for that matter.

"I need it. Buy it. Store it." - Tony Stark
post #12 of 49 Old 04-07-2012, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurms View Post

If people dont like proprietary cards/cables etc. then DO NOT buy Sony products, or Apple for that matter.

That's exactly what we are doing... and one of the reasons the VITA isn't selling in big numbers.

-Suntan
post #13 of 49 Old 04-07-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurms View Post

There's a big third-party market for Apple peripherals (and they even sell them at dedicated Apple Stores). But the third-party peripheral market for Sony and MS is almost entirely dead. The only places it still exists are for things like arcade sticks and driving wheels. The big change for next gen is that Sony won't make the "mistake" again of having such an open platform as the PS3 (open USB, standard 2.5" HDD, etc). Yet another sign that the big console manufacturers still don't get it, and may do themselves more harm in the long run by making a quick buck in the short run. It's the same backwards thinking that's slowly killing the film industry.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #14 of 49 Old 04-07-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

That's exactly what we are doing... and one of the reasons the VITA isn't selling in big numbers.

-Suntan

Honestly, I don't really think this is the primary reason for the weak Vita sales. Sure, the memory card thing is one of the irritating things that can kinda be a turnoff, but the general public doesn't even really know much about the memory card thing, so I'm not sure that is the main reason why they are ignoring it.

I think that 60 percent of it is marketing, and 20 percent of it is game library. For some people out there, they look at the launch lineup, and while the lineup is actually pretty good, they just might not be interested in those types of games. I showed a buddy of mine the Vita, and he thought it was really, really cool, but he said that until it had a kick-arse RPG on it, he wouldn't get one. So, while he knew the system was amazing, it just didn't have a game in his favorite genre, so he can afford to pass on picking the system up.

The marketing that Sony has done for the Vita has been pretty abysmal. The TV ads are a bit misleading, (leading you to believe that you can play multiplayer on the go while walking around town), and they don't really show off the Vita games very well. The general public just doesn't have a very good awareness that the Vita even exists, another potential problem is the fact that the Vita can be so easily mistaken for a PSP. If you have a PSP and Vita side by side, you can notice the obvious differences, but I've had the Vita with me, and people thought it was the PSP, until I actually pointed it out to them that it was a Vita. That can be a slight problem from a marketing perspective.

Ten percent of the problem is the pricing of the games. That was my biggest turnoff at first. It still is a major turnoff, but I get all my Vita games from Craigslist, and the most I've paid for a Vita game was $25 for Uncharted. Most of my Vita games cost me $20 or $22 at the max, which is much more reasonable to me. The $39.99 thing is a bit of a joke. I think the 3DS has the same problem in this regard, but it has a larger library of games, so at this point it has a few games that retail for $19.99 (Steel Diver, Nintendogs + Cats), so that makes it seem a bit better. The Vita needs to have a handful of games selling for $19.99, to make the overall library more attractive to parents buying for their kids.

The last 10 percent is the memory card, accessory, nickel and diming thing.

Of course all of this is just my opinion.
post #15 of 49 Old 04-07-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

I think that 60 percent of it is marketing, and 20 percent of it is game library.

Marketing is part of it, but it's more than that. It's how the device is being packaged and supported (or not). The big titles are still B-level castoffs and ports from console IPs, and they cost almost as much as the "real thing." They still don't have the publisher support they need, and there doesn't seem to be anything but silence coming from Sony post-launch.

The big sin, though, is that the device just doesn't do what it was promised it would. Without that, it's just a bigger and faster PSP with a hell of a lot less games for a hell of a lot more money. No amount of marketing can change that.

These things can all be changed. Hopefully, that's a big part of their plan for E3. We'll know soon.

post #16 of 49 Old 04-07-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Marketing is part of it, but it's more than that. It's how the device is being packaged and supported (or not). The big titles are still B-level castoffs and ports from console IPs, and they cost almost as much as the "real thing." They still don't have the publisher support they need, and there doesn't seem to be anything but silence coming from Sony post-launch.

The big sin, though, is that the device just doesn't do what it was promised it would. Without that, it's just a bigger and faster PSP with a hell of a lot less games for a hell of a lot more money. No amount of marketing can change that.

These things can all be changed. Hopefully, that's a big part of their plan for E3. We'll know soon.

Well, I understand what you're saying, but at the same time, I think the Vita is an amazing little powerhouse of a portable, and I couldn't be happier as an owner of the thing. Of course, I must admit that I've only recently jumped on the Vita bandwagon, and I was able to get a bargain basement deal from somebody on Craigslist that was desperate for some cash. So, I didn't pay full pop for all the Vita stuff like most buyers did, so it's no wonder I have no buyers remorse in regards to it.

Still, I can't help but feel like I have a portable PS3 in my hands, whenever I'm playing MLB 12 The Show or Fifa Soccer. Those two sports games are just fantastic imo. Sure, they might not have "all" of the features of their bigger brothers, but they are pretty damn close. The other games I have for it are also amazingly impressive to me. It comes back to being able to take a PS3 with me from room to room, and play whenever I find the time. With a wife and kids, gaming time is more limited, and it's nice to have a device I can take from one room to the next, while I'm engrossed in a game of MLB 12 The Show.

For some, I'm sure the graphics aren't up to PS3 standards, and it just doesn't seem that great to them, but for me, it's the bee's knees so to speak, lol. When I'm sitting there, playing Wipeout 2048 or whatever, I just giggle to myself sometimes, because I can't believe a device like this exists. Of course, I love Wipeout, I love the sports games, I love Hot Shots, etc, etc. I'm sure there are plenty of gamers that can't stand sports or golf, and don't really care about racing. Their opinion of the Vita would obviously be greatly affected by that, because there isn't a ton of games out there that don't fit into those categories.

I think the Vita needs a portable Dead Space or portable Skyrim or portable Assassin's Creed. Something a bit more mainstream, with some depth to it.

If you are hoping that the worlds best developers will make PS Vita specific games, I think that you'll probably be disappointed, because most publishers will save those teams for their big console games. That's just the way it is. Some of these portable game studios can do some great things though, and I also expect Sony to develop a way for studios to somehow port their PS3 games to the Vita in a more painless manner. Sure, it might not be a perfect PS3 port, but if it's 80 percent of the PS3 version, I'd probably be happy with it. I've heard tons of people say they don't just want PS3 ports, but I wouldn't have a problem with that. I'm finding that a portable just suits my lifestyle a bit more.

The publishers can give me as many ports as they want if they are as good as Rayman Origins and the sports games.
post #17 of 49 Old 04-07-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Still, I can't help but feel like I have a portable PS3 in my hands, whenever I'm playing MLB 12 The Show or Fifa Soccer.

I'm not at all disagreeing with you. I just wish there was more there because obviously this thing is capable of doing a lot more. The device is being purposely and senselessly hobbled by Sony's own corporate shortsightedness.

There's a lot this thing can do, and I'm hoping that the reason they're holding it back is that they want to save some Vita features for use with the PS4. But I have a nagging suspicion that they're taking it slow because they're gunshy after running into rampant piracy with the PSP and the major security breach last year on PSN.

The irrational part of my brain definitely wants a Vita. But the rational side tells me it's too expensive and doesn't (yet) do enough.

post #18 of 49 Old 04-07-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The irrational part of my brain definitely wants a Vita. But the rational side tells me it's too expensive and doesn't (yet) do enough.

It's a buyers market out there for Vita's right now, so don't let cost be the reason. It's perfectly reasonable to get a Vita for about $180, and they are well worth that.

As for it doing enough, well I feel like there are about 10 to 12 decent Vita games, which is plenty of stuff to keep somebody busy. You only need to start out with 2 or 3 Vita games and a couple of demos. That will keep you entertained for a good while, and on May 29th....
post #19 of 49 Old 04-07-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Quote:

I think that 60 percent of it is marketing, and 20 percent of it is game library.

Ten percent of the problem is the pricing of the games.

The last 5 percent is the memory card, accessory, nickel and diming thing.

I might have missed it, but I counted 95% there

But seriously, you left out what I feel is a pretty significant percentage of why it's not selling: the cost of the unit. Lack of marketing, a library of 'mostly' ports and spin-offs retailing for $40, overpriced memory cards...all valid reasons. But I believe, in 2012, the market for a $200+ dedicated handheld isn't there. The sooner Sony can get the Vita to $199, and get some compelling software out, the much better off they'll be.

The other thing is, E3 is still two months away, by then the system could be close to dead in the water as far as public interest goes( it's pretty low as it is).

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #20 of 49 Old 04-07-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's a buyers market out there for Vita's right now, so don't let cost be the reason. It's perfectly reasonable to get a Vita for about $180, and they are well worth that.

If it were just the price of the unit, I'd totally bite. But there's also the cost of everything else (especially memory and games). If I could play my PS3 or my PSN/PS1 games on it, I wouldn't hesitate.

And I'm hoping the price of memory will drop along with the unit sometime after E3. If that also coincides with the introduction of an improved feature set, I'll run out and buy one immediately.

post #21 of 49 Old 04-07-2012, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If it were just the price of the unit, I'd totally bite. But there's also the cost of everything else (especially memory and games). If I could play my PS3 or my PSN/PS1 games on it, I wouldn't hesitate.

And I'm hoping the price of memory will drop along with the unit sometime after E3. If that also coincides with the introduction of an improved feature set, I'll run out and buy one immediately.

Well, again, Craigslist, (and to a lesser extent Ebay) are your friends. Friends don't let friends pay retail. Here is a list of PS Vita games I bought off Craigslist, and what I paid for them:

Uncharted ------------------- $26
Fifa Soccer ------------------ $24
MLB 12: The Show ------------$20
Hot Shots Golf ----------------$20
Wipeout 2048 ---------------- $19
ModNation Racers ------------ $15
Little Devians ---------------- $13

I got a 4 gig memory card for $9, an 8 gig for $20 and a 32 gig for $69.

There is no need whatsoever to pay retail for any of this stuff. It's unfortunate that Sony would price everything so high, which means people like me need to head to the resale market to get the items I want at decent prices, but it doesn't change the fact that if you buy a big fat Vita bundle off Craiglist, you can get all the stuff your interested in for huge discounts compared to the actual retail price. It might take a bit of work on the end users part to score these deals, but it's really just a bit of patience and effort. Ebay is another option for getting the games and memory cards for cheap. Too much supply, not enough demand = lower prices.

Demand isn't there, because the general public at large just isn't very aware of the Vita and the kind of experiences it offers. I don't believe this is a situation that is going to last very long. After the release of Resistance (assuming it's a quality game), and the announcements at e3, I think the Vita will start to get quite a bit more popular, and the prices of the memory cards and things will rise a bit (on the secondary market). Games will always be cheaper on craigslist and Ebay though.
post #22 of 49 Old 04-07-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:

Honestly, I don't really think this is the primary reason for the weak Vita sales. Sure, the memory card thing is one of the irritating things that can kinda be a turnoff, but the general public doesn't even really know much about the memory card thing, so I'm not sure that is the main reason why they are ignoring it.

The "general public" doesn't even know what a VITA is. And they never new what a PSP was either. The nerds, like us, that would contemplate a VITA know what it is *and* know what a rip the new, proprietary memcard format is.

Anyway, as I've said before, the PSP made a compelling argument when it was released at a time when phones were capable of playing little more than Zuma. The VITA just isn't a compelling argument to most of us as it is.

Personally, I'll take another look at it when the gen II version comes out with SD support, HDMI-out and native BT support for the DSIII (or whatever controller the ps4 uses.)

-Suntan
post #23 of 49 Old 04-07-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Demand isn't there, because the general public at large just isn't very aware of the Vita and the kind of experiences it offers.

And that we can pin 100% on Sony's shoulders. Frankly I don't know what their strategy is with Vita. Perhaps they're still under the belief that anything with the words 'Sony' and 'Playstation' slapped across it will sell itself, regardless of price( surely they must have learned in the last 5-6 years that this isn't the case?). The Vita is a wonderful piece of tech, but if they don't make the effort to get that message across to the masses, then it's wasted potential.

While it's great that you've managed to snag some really great deals, every used sale means one less person buying the system and games new. If most of the movement on the Vita front is between used market buyers and sellers,and not new systems and games moving off store shelves and/or the online marketplace, publishers aren't going to be very motivated to put new games on the shelf. The slow trickling out of games post-launch would suggest that they may be taking a cautious approach( particularly with how rampant piracy was with PSP), but it's a bit of a catch-22: consumers are waiting for some compelling software to make buying the Vita worthwhile, while the game companies are waiting for enough units to move off shelves before going full steam ahead with releasing games. Both sides are playing the waiting game......

post #24 of 49 Old 04-07-2012, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, again, Craigslist, (and to a lesser extent Ebay) are your friends. Friends don't let friends pay retail.

Wow. If I can find those prices near me, I definitely will jump in. I'll take a look. Thanks.

I've been on the fence about whether I'm picking up a Vita or a 3DS (since last time around I got a PSP but passed on the DS). But if I can find a Vita and accoutrements at those prices, there's no reason to bother with the 3DS.

post #25 of 49 Old 04-07-2012, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow. If I can find those prices near me, I definitely will jump in. I'll take a look. Thanks.

I've been on the fence about whether I'm picking up a Vita or a 3DS (since last time around I got a PSP but passed on the DS). But if I can find a Vita and accoutrements at those prices, there's no reason to bother with the 3DS.

Well, you can find a Vita and those games for that price, but you're going to have to bargain people down. For example, I had one guy that was selling a Vita package for $350. It was a 3G Vita, with Little Deviants, Wipeout 2048, Hot Shots Golf and ModNation Racers. It also came with a 4 GB memory card and a hard case. I offered the guy $270, and he accepted. Here is how the pricing break down worked out:

3G Vita hardware - $195
4 gig memory card - $9
Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational (online pass unused) - $18
Wipeout 2048 (Online pass unused) - $15
ModNation Racers: Road Trip - $15
Little Deviants - $13
Vita First Edition Hard Case - $5

Total = $270

I felt perfectly fine paying those prices for the various items that I got in that deal. You aren't going find somebody that is selling that package for $270, but you could very well find somebody with a similar package for $350, and the first rule of thumb, is to offer the guy 30 to 25 percent less. Then if that doesn't work, try 20 percent less. Basically, just look at the various Vita packages, and part out the items piece by piece, and ask yourself how much you would be willing to pay for each of those items separately. Think about it, if you were forced to sell one of the items, how much could you easily get for that item if you were forced to sell it? That will tell you your max, in terms of what to pay.
post #26 of 49 Old 04-08-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 57
I would buy it if it could play PS3 games with lower graphics and the same online capabilities. I no longer see the point of a portable game machine without that option since I can just search the internet or play random games on my phone/laptop/pad to distract me when traveling. However, if I could continue my PS3 game with the same game saves and online functionality when traveling then it would be a different story. Also, if I'm at home and can't use my HDTV/sound equipment because someone is watching a movie, then I would want to continue the same big boy games on my handheld.

If this were possible they can sell a more expensive game package with the PS3 disc and Vita disc for $80 retail similar to how 3D blu-rays are packaged ($30 retail includes blu-ray, 3D blu-ray, and sometimes digital).
post #27 of 49 Old 04-08-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

I would buy it if it could play PS3 games with lower graphics and the same online capabilities.

We know that something close to that is at least theoretically possible. Again, there's so much the Vita can do (we've even seen it in hacker videos), but Sony is being stupidly conservative in rolling out these features.

Some publishers (including Sony) have already started pricing combo deals with Vita and PS3 versions of the same game, so hopefully the trend spreads. But it all depends on getting sales numbers up for the device. And sales of Vita versions of PS3 games have to be good, but not too good. Then we'll start seeing better publisher support, and Sony will start opening up more PS3-Vita cross-play features (saves, online, shared content, etc).

post #28 of 49 Old 04-08-2012, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd be content if the Vita could simply remote play ps3 games. I've only got one TV in the house( no plans to get another right now) that's shared between 3 people. If I could remotely play my PS3 games while the wifey is watching HGTV or whatever, that would be a huge selling point for me.

post #29 of 49 Old 04-08-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

I'd be content if the Vita could simply remote play ps3 games. I've only got one TV in the house( no plans to get another right now) that's shared between 3 people. If I could remotely play my PS3 games while the wifey is watching HGTV or whatever, that would be a huge selling point for me.

I know, right? Pure gold. And we know it's possible with the current hardware. Sony themselves is the only limiting factor.

post #30 of 49 Old 04-08-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know, right? Pure gold. And we know it's possible with the current hardware. Sony themselves is the only limiting factor.

Yep, which is why I said earlier that I am honestly lost on what Sony's strategy is, as far as Vita goes. All these possibilities, yet Sony themselves are holding back the machine's potential.

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page