I Am Alive - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-05-2012, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Played through the demo last night and I'm still on the fence about this one. I really liked Disaster Report and Raw Danger on the PS2, and this is obviously in the same vein, but better looking. The climbing mechanics and human encounters are OK, but nothing fancy.

Has anyone bought the full game? Is it worth $15?

- Jer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-05-2012, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Reviews are pretty bad. I'm not paying $15.

Now playing: Destiny, Madden, Diablo 3, PvZ: GW
Recently Finished: Infamous: First Light, Watch Dogs
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #3 of 9 Old 04-05-2012, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Metacritic is showing a metascore of 73 at the moment, which is a step up from the other two games I mentioned.

One review said the game takes about 5 hours to complete, so that makes me feel better about the price. Maybe I'll take a chance on it...

- Jer
post #4 of 9 Old 04-06-2012, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I think I am going to get it (not a lot of time at the moment) but sounds interesting, more so than the million zombie post-apocalypto types.

I haven't played the demo yet though so maybe that turns me off? but i do like the semi-realism aspects and general atmospheric quality they are going for.

Most reviews were generally favorable except for ign.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-07-2012, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I did wind up buying the game, and now I'm 13 chapters in and really enjoying it. The game opens up a lot beyond what you see in the demo, bringing in elements like a grappling hook, a bow & arrow, enemies with body armor, and a large area of town covered in toxic dust that you can only stay in for limited periods of time. If you're daring, there's a lot to discover in the dusty areas, which offer some open world elements alongside the more linear parts. There are also some extended climbing sequences a la Uncharted, but much more tense due to your limited grip strength.

The encounters with mobs can be harrowing, since you have to identify the biggest threats and neutralize them first, often with no bullets in your gun. And if you do have a bullet and shoot a gun wielder, one of his buddies may very well pick up his gun and shoot you with it. Each of these mob encounters is like a deadly puzzle to solve, though you will use many of the same tactics in each one.

The graphics and controls aren't super polished, but they aren't clunky enough to get in the way, either. And the graphical filters are very effective at conveying the bleakness of the environment.

It surprised me how much of a Manhunt vibe I started to get from the game after I got further in. As a fan of that series, this was a pleasant surprise. In fact, I'd say the game ultimately feels like a cross between Disaster Report and Manhunt, with a sprinkle of Uncharted thrown in.

For me this is definitely worth $15, as I must be 5 or 6 hours into my first game with no end in sight yet, and I'll likely play through a couple more times to try the higher difficulty and try to help all the survivors. Glad I took a chance on this one. A solid 8/10 from what I've seen so far.

- Jer
post #6 of 9 Old 04-08-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 62
overpriced. just like limbo.

500 gigs FTW.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-08-2012, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

overpriced. just like limbo.

Is that opinion based on anything in particular? I'm getting at least as much value out of this as I would out of a shorter disc-based game, and it's 1/4 the price...

- Jer
post #8 of 9 Old 04-09-2012, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaines View Post

I did wind up buying the game, and now I'm 13 chapters in and really enjoying it. The game opens up a lot beyond what you see in the demo, bringing in elements like a grappling hook, a bow & arrow, enemies with body armor, and a large area of town covered in toxic dust that you can only stay in for limited periods of time. If you're daring, there's a lot to discover in the dusty areas, which offer some open world elements alongside the more linear parts. There are also some extended climbing sequences a la Uncharted, but much more tense due to your limited grip strength.

The encounters with mobs can be harrowing, since you have to identify the biggest threats and neutralize them first, often with no bullets in your gun. And if you do have a bullet and shoot a gun wielder, one of his buddies may very well pick up his gun and shoot you with it. Each of these mob encounters is like a deadly puzzle to solve, though you will use many of the same tactics in each one.

The graphics and controls aren't super polished, but they aren't clunky enough to get in the way, either. And the graphical filters are very effective at conveying the bleakness of the environment.

It surprised me how much of a Manhunt vibe I started to get from the game after I got further in. As a fan of that series, this was a pleasant surprise. In fact, I'd say the game ultimately feels like a cross between Disaster Report and Manhunt, with a sprinkle of Uncharted thrown in.

For me this is definitely worth $15, as I must be 5 or 6 hours into my first game with no end in sight yet, and I'll likely play through a couple more times to try the higher difficulty and try to help all the survivors. Glad I took a chance on this one. A solid 8/10 from what I've seen so far.

- Jer

I've been on the fence about purchasing this game. The demo was just ok to me. The story is interesting, but I didn't care for the controls. The graphics definitely could be a bit more polished. If you're 5-6 hours in and haven't finished, $15 is not bad at all.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-14-2012, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Finished my first playthrough, 6 hours 48 minutes according to the game stats. I don't think that counts any of the playtime that led to death. The ending was disappointing, but the game was fun overall and well worth $15. I'll definitely play through again on the higher difficulty and try to save the couple of survivors I missed the first time.

- Jer
Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page