God Of War IV: Announcement Coming 04-19-12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 04-12-2012, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Plenty of hints & rumors over the last few months have been reported by the media but this pretty much confirms it:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 04-13-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I'd like to believe it's God of War, but revealing such a huge title relatively close to E3? Goes against what must companies would do, usually saving their big reveals for their press conference.

And the words about vengeance bringing redemption, that seemed like the purpose of the ending part of GOW 3, with Kratos running around in the dark searching for redemption. So, this angle doesn't seem to make much sense for the God of War storyline IMO. But I could be wrong.

You know "that look" women get when they want sex? Me neither. - Steve Martin
post #3 of 35 Old 04-13-2012, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
"nothing will bring them back" also fits with the god of war 4 theory. still, i think i'm making it fit because i want it to be god of war 4. that and a new gta in the same year. it would be a gaming miracle.

edit:

it better not be for that stupid vita either.

500 gigs FTW.
post #4 of 35 Old 04-13-2012, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

"nothing will bring them back" also fits with the god of war 4 theory. still, i think i'm making it fit because i want it to be god of war 4. that and a new gta in the same year. it would be a gaming miracle.

edit:

it better not be for that stupid vita either.

i am betting on it being the stupid vita thing
post #5 of 35 Old 04-13-2012, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrackedJack View Post

I'd like to believe it's God of War, but revealing such a huge title relatively close to E3? Goes against what must companies would do, usually saving their big reveals for their press conference.

And the words about vengeance bringing redemption, that seemed like the purpose of the ending part of GOW 3, with Kratos running around in the dark searching for redemption. So, this angle doesn't seem to make much sense for the God of War storyline IMO. But I could be wrong.

Good points brought up. But honestly I don't think E3 is as big an event as it use to be in the past.A example is "The Last Of Us" which is a big Sony 1st party game that got announced & revealed at the VGA award show last December.

Also I think Sony has some inside info and knows R* is going to announce the release date and show a 2nd trailer for GTA V at E3 which will literally be the biggest story and get all the attention.
post #6 of 35 Old 04-13-2012, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^ the only thing that could top gta 5 is ....um, yeah nothing can top gta 5. i would love for rockstar to troll activision and release it on the same day as black ops 2. that would fantastic.

500 gigs FTW.
post #7 of 35 Old 04-14-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I hope it isn't GoW4. Kratos's story has been told -- I've had enough. If the game is from Santa Monica Studios, please let it be a new IP. If they want to stick to the same genre, give them Heavenly Sword 2 to develop. Also, no fixed camera please!!

http://stickskills.com/2012/04/03/ps...eing-worked-on

Maybe it's Agent.
post #8 of 35 Old 04-14-2012, 11:55 AM

Liked: 832
Same. Kratos is dead as far as I'm concerned.
post #9 of 35 Old 04-14-2012, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
If it is IV, like Bart Scott, can't wait. I LOVED III and every time a non-techie comes over to my place, I boot up III to show off the picture quality of my projector. It works every time.
post #10 of 35 Old 04-15-2012, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Kratos story may very well be dead.

But his brother Deimos could be the main character they use in main story for God Of War IV.
post #11 of 35 Old 04-15-2012, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
I agree with other folks. Unless they offer something very new, the God of War IP is done. I loved GoW1 & 2, but even GoW 3 was pushing the series beyond its limits. And the PSP titles were only pleasant spinoffs as far as I'm concerned. I would much rather see something entirely new--especially if Sony is planning on releasing a new GoW on the current PS3 hardware.

How much farther can they take it? What new ideas do they have left? It's a dead end. I sincerely hope this is some other announcement.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #12 of 35 Old 04-16-2012, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Norse Gods were an idea they toyed with early on in the series. (one of the original trilogy endings had the Norse gods show up to claim Greece) they may explore this idea in a new series...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #13 of 35 Old 04-16-2012, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Norse Gods were an idea they toyed with early on in the series. (one of the original trilogy endings had the Norse gods show up to claim Greece) they may explore this idea in a new series...

They've been consistent with Greek mythology (Titans and Gods) up to now. Seems stupid to stretch that beyond the classical pantheon. May as well just create a new character and plot at that point...

post #14 of 35 Old 04-16-2012, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Is God of War still a big deal ? I never bought 3, despite my graphics whore tendencies. At least the 3rd one had the acclaim of being one of the best looking PS3 games to ever come out. Who knows... maybe the 4th one will really blow me away, but I'm just not that hyped about anything God of War related.

Selfishly, I'd love it to be exclusive to Vita. Vita needs something to help drive sales, and GOW does have a bit of name recognition going for it. Maybe not as much as it used to, but every bit helps.
post #15 of 35 Old 04-17-2012, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Is God of War still a big deal ? I never bought 3, despite my graphics whore tendencies. At least the 3rd one had the acclaim of being one of the best looking PS3 games to ever come out. Who knows... maybe the 4th one will really blow me away, but I'm just not that hyped about anything God of War related.

GoW 1 and 2 are among my favorite games for PS2. For that reason alone, I'd like to see where they might take the franchise.

But, like I said above, they need to do something radically new and different. GoW 3 was a huge letdown. It was just a prettier version of those earlier games, but with much less care put into the design and combat mechanics. I played only the first hour and got bored and frustrated and quit. Luckily it was just a rental.

post #16 of 35 Old 04-17-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

But, like I said above, they need to do something radically new and different. GoW 3 was a huge letdown. It was just a prettier version of those earlier games, but with much less care put into the design and combat mechanics. I played only the first hour and got bored and frustrated and quit. Luckily it was just a rental.

I had the exact same experience with God of War 3 (disappointed with a rental, returned it pretty quickly), but then the got it as a Christmas gift. Eventually, when I started it back up, I found it I quite liked it. A lot!

I'm not sure why it didn't hit me at the beginning, but as the game moves on it seemed to get better and better.

I'd be all for God of War 4, Vita or PS3!

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #17 of 35 Old 04-17-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Revengeance! Could be that MGS Rising? That's a multiplat game so this kind of Sony sponsored countdown would be unusual.

God of War (Next) for PS3 would be cool but I'm not holding my breath.

This is probably a Vita game considering the timing.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #18 of 35 Old 04-17-2012, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post

God of War (Next) for PS3 would be cool but I'm not holding my breath.

This is probably a Vita game considering the timing.

Then why not combine the two: God of War game for Vita and PS3. Something that finally puts cross-platform play/saves to good use.

post #19 of 35 Old 04-17-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Then why not combine the two: God of War game for Vita and PS3. Something that finally puts cross-platform play/saves to good use.

Well, the thing about that is that they still want way too much money for both games. You could get MLB on both PS3 and Vita for $79.99. You save a whopping 20 bucks! 20 bucks? really? That's supposed to get me to buy both games? No thanks.
post #20 of 35 Old 04-17-2012, 11:08 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Loved GOW1,2 & 3. Curious to hear more about this news.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #21 of 35 Old 04-17-2012, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

i hate the vita and can't wait for it to die. especially if this turns out to be a vita game.

500 gigs FTW.
post #22 of 35 Old 04-17-2012, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
I love my Vita and I can't wait to see how a next gen portable God of War looks like but I'm more curious for IV.

On a side note, if I were Sony, I would have taken a lesson learned from II and I would save IV for the PS4 launch. But that's just me.
post #23 of 35 Old 04-18-2012, 05:19 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post

On a side note, if I were Sony, I would have taken a lesson learned from II and I would save IV for the PS4 launch. But that's just me.

I'm pretty sure they did take a lesson from II. There were far more sales from the huge install base of PS2 users than there would have been if it had been a launch title for the PS3, and they got to make more money on it later with the (excellent) God Of War Collection for PS3.
post #24 of 35 Old 04-18-2012, 08:18 PM

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mis...f-war-for-ps3/
Quote:

Kratos' next murder-filled adventure has been revealed via a listing on Amazon.com. God of War: Ascension is coming to the PlayStation 3, according to the online retailer, with a brief, gameplay-free video offering little more than a blood-soaked teaser that loosely details the follow up to 2010's God of War III.

From what we can gather from the 75 second teaser, God of War: Ascension will tell a tale of Kratos that takes place not after the events of God of War III, but before.

"There was a time before Kratos became the monster known as the Ghost of Sparta," says the teaser's narrator. "A time when something other than rage consumed him. A time when, in spite of the madness that plagued him, Kratos would break his blood oath to an unjust god. A time when he would no longer be bound in blood."

The Ascension teaser features some God of War staples, including a Gorgon, Cerberus and Kratos' chain blades, but little in the way of tangible gameplay details or precisely who is on the anti-hero's hit list this time.

Amazon.com also revealed the game's box art, which matches Sony's previous teaser for an April 19 reveal.

post #25 of 35 Old 04-18-2012, 08:40 PM

Liked: 93
Milk that franchise! Milk it good.

So this "trilogy" is now, what, six games? Somehow it has managed to surpass AssCreed II with i'ts levels of rehashing. Sony, if you want to be better than Ubi at something, milking is the wrong thing to be better at.
post #26 of 35 Old 04-18-2012, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #27 of 35 Old 04-18-2012, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

Milk that franchise! Milk it good.

So this "trilogy" is now, what, six games? Somehow it has managed to surpass AssCreed II with i'ts levels of rehashing. Sony, if you want to be better than Ubi at something, milking is the wrong thing to be better at.

I'm sorry but what a terrible comparison.

Sony has NOT been rehashing and releasing a new God Of War game every damn year like Ubisoft has been doing with Ass Creed.

The trilogy frickin spans 2 console generations and a portable console. As for re releasing the the HD remastered collections for GOW I & II and the GOW PSP games you can blame that on Sony for removing backwards compatibility.

But seriously I'm glad Sony did remaster them in HD and re release them for the PS3 or else I would have never played those great games and never would have gotten into the GOW game series.
post #28 of 35 Old 04-18-2012, 09:45 PM

I don;t understand where they're going with this.

Seems to be a prequel to GOW3... but also sounds like it's going to need to be a prequel of GOW1.

How does Kratos flip off the God of War, and then come back under his rule? Same if he is the god of war, how does he not be?

I'd have to agree, it feels like they convolution and milking a good franchise, when they really need to move on and make it grow into something else.
post #29 of 35 Old 04-18-2012, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

E3 is less than 2 months away and I'm sure Sony will be giving us ton of new info about this new GOW game.
post #30 of 35 Old 04-19-2012, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 317
If the games are good, which they are in this series, I say milk it 'till it's done!

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page