Why no visualization add-ons? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 04-19-2012, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Sorry if this has been covered before, but I can't understand why Sony doesn't offer any add-ons that would give us some killer visualizations, like those available for computer media players. They have all kinds of themes available, hundreds of them, but not one visualizer? Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be easy to do- and be a way for them to make some more money? Plus, many people, I would think, would use their ps3's to listen to music more often, so they would die sooner and sales would increase in the long run.

I don't often use my ps3 for music listening, but I would a lot more if I had a nice, colorful, synched to the music visualization to watch on my big screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 04-20-2012, 12:44 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWinVA View Post

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I can't understand why Sony doesn't offer any add-ons that would give us some killer visualizations, like those available for computer media players. They have all kinds of themes available, hundreds of them, but not one visualizer? Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be easy to do- and be a way for them to make some more money? Plus, many people, I would think, would use their ps3's to listen to music more often, so they would die sooner and sales would increase in the long run.

I don't often use my ps3 for music listening, but I would a lot more if I had a nice, colorful, synched to the music visualization to watch on my big screen.

If you jailbreak your ps3(its as easy as updating ps3) you can get extra space visuals check ps3hax.net for more info.You can jailbreak if your firmware is 3.55 or below.
post #3 of 25 Old 04-20-2012, 01:33 AM

Liked: 93
Because a PS3 is not WinAmp. Normal people stopped caring about whiz-bang visualizations a decade ago. Yes, it would be simple to do, but any time spent on this would be far better spent on one of the many other half-finished features that are part of the PS3's dashboard.
post #4 of 25 Old 04-20-2012, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

Because a PS3 is not WinAmp. Normal people stopped caring about whiz-bang visualizations a decade ago.

This is pretty much true in my experience.

360 launched with some visualizers (from Jeff Minter, the guy who made the well-regarded visualizers for Jaguar/Nuon) and to the best of my knowledge nobody cared about them.

The PS3 has a few visualizations in Life With PlayStation, though. I like the globe.
post #5 of 25 Old 04-20-2012, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVIV73 View Post

If you jailbreak your ps3(its as easy as updating ps3) you can get extra space visuals check ps3hax.net for more info.You can jailbreak if your firmware is 3.55 or below.

Thanks for the info, though I have current firmware, so I can't break outta jail... But I will check out that site- thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

Because a PS3 is not WinAmp. Normal people stopped caring about whiz-bang visualizations a decade ago. Yes, it would be simple to do, but any time spent on this would be far better spent on one of the many other half-finished features that are part of the PS3's dashboard.

Well, I've never been accused of being normal... Seriously though, once I turn on my bigscreen TV, I don't turn it off until I'm done for the night, since power cycling is harder on electronics than longer on-times. So, when I listen to music after having watched something, the screen is available. Even the included visualizations look pretty cool on a 67" screen, but I like the ones that are synched to the music.

I'm surprised that more people aren't interested, but then it seems like sitting down and listening to music has become a rare activity these days. Guess I'm pretty uninformed about PS3, but what are the half-finished features to which you refer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

This is pretty much true in my experience.

360 launched with some visualizers (from Jeff Minter, the guy who made the well-regarded visualizers for Jaguar/Nuon) and to the best of my knowledge nobody cared about them.

The PS3 has a few visualizations in Life With PlayStation, though. I like the globe.

Have seen that, but I like the synched visualizations. Like the frequency wave-forms on Flaming Lips Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots dvd-a- really cool.
post #6 of 25 Old 04-20-2012, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
post #7 of 25 Old 04-20-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
The PSN game Beat Ultra Hazard also includes one or more visualizers, but I believe you have to launch the game in order to use them.

I use the standard XMB music visualizers myself. It's nice for listening to music with a date when the movie is over and it's not quite yet time to move the evening's activities into the bedroom.
post #8 of 25 Old 04-21-2012, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle View Post

Coincidentally:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/20/pi...s-for-your-mu/

Thanks for the link. That looks very interesting. Took me a while to get an idea of what it actually is and still have a no. of questions- the main one being if the visualizations outside the game can be synched to the music playing. Looks like the game needs Move to be played, which would count me out, but if it weren't too expensive and the visualizer was good, I'd get it just for that. Will be on the lookout for reviews of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

The PSN game Beat Ultra Hazard also includes one or more visualizers, but I believe you have to launch the game in order to use them.

I use the standard XMB music visualizers myself. It's nice for listening to music with a date when the movie is over and it's not quite yet time to move the evening's activities into the bedroom.

Thanks- I'll check out BUH. I think that the ps3's visualizer is OK, but not good enough to warrant using my ps3 for playing music. Now, if I had a date and wanted to use it as a mood-setter, that might be a different story- but at my age I don't date that much anymore...
post #9 of 25 Old 04-21-2012, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks again for this suggestion. Checked out Beat Hazard Ultra at PS store and there was a demo. The game seems pretty cool and I could see the visualizer, but only with the 3 included songs. It's actually a bit too much for me. Really wild strobing, dazzling effects all over the play, vibrant colors- it would actually take too much focus off the music. The game has a warning before you can start play- I can see this easily inducing seizures in sensitive people.

While I doubt I will use the visualizer much due to its extreme nature, I may buy this just for the game. It would be nice if the visualizer had some user controlled parameters, so you could tone it down- which it might, since there were a couple of adjustments you could make to the visualizer for the game, even in the demo.
post #10 of 25 Old 04-22-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 261
There are times when visualizers are very....interesting. I'll just leave it at that. lol
post #11 of 25 Old 04-23-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

Thanks again for this suggestion. Checked out Beat Hazard Ultra at PS store and there was a demo. The game seems pretty cool and I could see the visualizer, but only with the 3 included songs. It's actually a bit too much for me. Really wild strobing, dazzling effects all over the play, vibrant colors- it would actually take too much focus off the music. The game has a warning before you can start play- I can see this easily inducing seizures in sensitive people.

While I doubt I will use the visualizer much due to its extreme nature, I may buy this just for the game. It would be nice if the visualizer had some user controlled parameters, so you could tone it down- which it might, since there were a couple of adjustments you could make to the visualizer for the game, even in the demo.

To be honest, I didn't really care for the visualizer in Beat Hazard Ultra--too much strobe effects and flashing lights for my tastes. But the game was a huge surprise for me! I'm not one to create custom soundtracks for games that allow it, so I had a lot of fun experiencing my collection in a new way with BHU. I think I turned down the in-game visual effects to 75%, though, as it could be a bit much at times.
post #12 of 25 Old 04-23-2012, 12:06 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Thanks for the info, though I have current firmware, so I can't break outta jail... But I will check out that site- thanks.

There are ways to downgrade a fat or slim PS3 that is at a OFW 3.55+... just sayin.
post #13 of 25 Old 04-23-2012, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

To be honest, I didn't really care for the visualizer in Beat Hazard Ultra--too much strobe effects and flashing lights for my tastes. But the game was a huge surprise for me! I'm not one to create custom soundtracks for games that allow it, so I had a lot of fun experiencing my collection in a new way with BHU. I think I turned down the in-game visual effects to 75%, though, as it could be a bit much at times.

Yes- that is one intense visualizer. I'm usually all for extreme, but that is just too much.

So you have the game? I saw on the demo that you could turn down the effects and wondered if you could do that if you're using the visualizer not in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNPalmer View Post

There are ways to downgrade a fat or slim PS3 that is at a OFW 3.55+... just sayin.

I have seen that, but am not nearly computer-savvy enough to feel comfortable attempting that. I'd love to be able to get a jailbroken fat that had sacd capability so I could back up my sacd's. I might even dare to try it on mine if it had sacd capability- which I thought it did when I bought it (didn't do my research- didn't think they'd take away features- how naive!).
post #14 of 25 Old 04-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

I like the views of earth from outer-space... at least I assume they still have that one.
post #15 of 25 Old 04-23-2012, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

My PS3 came w/ 3: the one that is like the background when it's booting; the earth one; and the colorful abstract one- that's the one I like most, but as it's not synched w/ the music, it's not enough to get me to use the PS as a music player.
post #16 of 25 Old 04-23-2012, 05:17 PM

Liked: 16
I use A LOT my PS3 as music player, connected with a Denon Receiver and a fairly good pair of speakers, and don´t care about much the visualizations, with the globe one I´m more than happy, well, some times I´d like to have different globe visualizations, but if PSN never adds more, I would not care less.
post #17 of 25 Old 04-24-2012, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Nothing better than listening to Dark Side of the Moon while watching the Earth visualizer. I for one would like to see more visualizations. Bring 'em on!
post #18 of 25 Old 04-24-2012, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
I've searched a few times for more visualizations and never any luck. Can't jailbreak, as I use my PS3 to play current games online, and it's way past 3.55. I saw the pixeljunk 4am a while back, but no release date. Good to see it's coming out, I'll get it just for the visualizations. My PS3 is my SACD player, and the 3 standard visualizations get sort of old. The surround SACD's are usually good enough, that I enjoy just sitting there listening to music. Some are so good, I can't really bear to turn them off. Some new visualizers would be a welcome change.

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
post #19 of 25 Old 05-10-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNPalmer View Post

Only if you're on 3.62 but you can downgrade higher with hardware dongles-but i would never use them because they are *******s.Just recently they said one Dongle has power to wipe out your ps3 hd if it thinks that you are using a dongle clone.
Not only do they steal people's work and charge you for it but now they want you to use only their dongles or they wipe out you hd-NO THANX im happy with my 3.55 jailbreak.
post #20 of 25 Old 05-11-2012, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Only if you're on 3.62 but you can downgrade higher with hardware dongles-but i would never use them because they are *******s.Just recently they said one Dongle has power to wipe out your ps3 hd if it thinks that you are using a dongle clone.
Not only do they steal people's work and charge you for it but now they want you to use only their dongles or they wipe out you hd-NO THANX im happy with my 3.55 jailbreak.

I like how you use their "stealing people's work" as justification for not using something and in the next breath talk about stealing movies from ********** and watching the Avengers weeks before it came out in theaters.

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #21 of 25 Old 05-18-2012, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmonkeee View Post

I like how you use their "stealing people's work" as justification for not using something and in the next breath talk about stealing movies from ********** and watching the Avengers weeks before it came out in theaters.

I see you hunted me down from other thread,huh?Too much time on your hands man.
I watch movies and don't sell them or make any money off them.
Plus that guy who made that 3rd party plugin and updates tv channels and movies for it now charges $2 dollars a month-and i don't blame him because its alot of work to keep all the streams updated.

And i use it mainly for watching Russian/Ukrainian tv channels on Showtime app and not pirated movies,i barely watch any movies at all and when i do they are mainly older movies because new movies have over the top filth in them.
And if i do watch movies like Avengers once in a blue moon-its because i want my son to learn my language because they have them in Ukrainian and Russian language.And 99 percent of time i also go to theaters to watch them on big scree too.

So basically i got that plugin for Showtime app to watch legal foreign tv channels and not movies.I get over 200 Russian/Ukrainian/French/British channels and more for $2 a month instead of getting ripped off by Time Warner and paying $30 for 4 Russian channels,which are free channels in Russia but time warner streams them through their service and charges ridiculous price.

Put it this way:If i download music or a movie and i like the album then i will go and buy that cd to support them,but if i don't like it i will erase that garbage of my hd.
post #22 of 25 Old 05-18-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

If by "hunted you down," you mean, "read the top 10 threads in the forum," sure.

And, you took a lot of words to justify stealing. But, hey--knock yourself out. I'm not your priest.

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #23 of 25 Old 05-18-2012, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
Quote:

jailbreaking is illegal.

500 gigs FTW.
post #24 of 25 Old 05-19-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 83
Awesome! Chairman approves of this message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post

Nothing better than listening to Dark Side of the Moon while watching the Earth visualizer.

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

post #25 of 25 Old 02-27-2013, 08:47 AM

I agree with the OP. Why no more visualizations? With winamp there are some really great ones. My ps3 is hooked up to a bigscreen tv. why not trick it out with cool stuff. Sometimes sony misses the little things that would make the hardware even better. And easy to do. I can get a dynamic background theme, but i cant get some floating circles. Maybe they should read these forms for suggestions.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page