/** * vBulletin 3.8.7 CSS * Style: 'AVSForum-new'; Style ID: 113 */ @import url("http://www.avsforum.com/forum/clientscript/vbulletin_css/style-07ae0564-00113.css"); buying the digital download of a PSP game on PSN, how many devices can I put it on? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-23-2012, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I'm not normally the type of guy that buys digital download games. I've done it a few times for games like Super Stardust (PS3 $10), Wipeout HD (PS3 $10) and Motorstorm 3D Rift (PS3 $10). But, it's actually very out of character for me. I prefer physical games which can be bought at a discount, and also resold at some point.

Of course, being the owner of a nice, jazzy, PS Vita system.... can change a man... Heh. Seriously though... As overpriced as nearly every single PSP game is right now on PSN, the thought of playing some of them on that amazing Vita screen is extremely tempting. How many devices would I be allowed to use the download with? Could I use it on my Vita, plus a PSP ? Or does it need to be tied to one or the other ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-25-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 201
You get two activations these days.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-25-2012, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Yeah, I think they changed it from 5 to 2 activations last November.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #4 of 9 Old 04-25-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
There are two parts of "installations" coming to PSP games from PS3.

First question is how many PSP game installer download to PS3 is allowed? 2? or still 5?

Second question is from the PSP game installer sitting on PS3, how many PSP can the game be installed on? This is from my experience with a few PSP games from PSN Store. I'll say they may or may not be accurate today. Reason is I found over the years, Sony keeps adding more restrictions to how downloaded PSP games can be installed. So whatever works today for PSP games may change in a few months.

1. "One" PSP because the PSP must be activated.
If you have multiple PSPs and try to resync the same game to another PSP, the game will work on the 2nd PSP until you plug the 1st PSP to the PS3 and the game gets deactivated.

2. What if you bought PSP games from multiple PSN accounts?
Only PSP games from one PSN account can be activate at a time. If you install PSP games from a different PSN account to the PSP, games bought from the previous PSN account will be deactivated.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-25-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D View Post

1. "One" PSP because the PSP must be activated.
If you have multiple PSPs and try to resync the same game to another PSP, the game will work on the 2nd PSP until you plug the 1st PSP to the PS3 and the game gets deactivated.

With the reduction from 5 activations to 2, Sony implimented a remote deactivation feature allowing you to do it from their website. So you'll be able to get the game working on the 2nd PSP just by remotely deactivating the 1st.

And if you never log into PSN again with the 1st PSP after doing so, the games will still work there as well.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-25-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

With the reduction from 5 activations to 2, Sony implimented a remote deactivation feature allowing you to do it from their website. So you'll be able to get the game working on the 2nd PSP just by remotely deactivating the 1st.

And if you never log into PSN again with the 1st PSP after doing so, the games will still work there as well.

The SEN website will only show you total PS3 or PSP devices activate on your account. It will not show you which device is which, ie. if you have multiple PS3 or PSP devices, you have no idea which is which. Also, if you try to deactivate on the web site, it tells you to do it on the actual devices. Other words, mostly useless site.

https://account.sonyentertainmentnet...m/login.action
post #7 of 9 Old 04-25-2012, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Confused, what's the point then if all it does is to tell you to do it from the device itself?

I thought the reason for it was a compromise for the reduced activations amount so you wouldn't lose 1 of your 2 activations for each piece of DLC in the event of a hardware failure (Something that wasn't a big deal when you had 5, but is a bit of a problem when it's only 2)?
post #8 of 9 Old 04-25-2012, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

Confused, what's the point then if all it does is to tell you to do it from the device itself?

I thought the reason for it was a compromise for the reduced activations amount so you wouldn't lose 1 of your 2 activations for each piece of DLC in the event of a hardware failure (Something that wasn't a big deal when you had 5, but is a bit of a problem when it's only 2)?

Good question. It was asked several months ago when Sony added the online device management. I checked again today to see if Sony has done anything to improve the online device management but nothing except changed the name to SEN.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-25-2012, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 148
So, if I own a Vita and a PSP slim, I can put the same game on both systems? It's better than just being stuck on one device.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page