Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 42 Old 04-26-2012, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 195
PlayStation All-Star Battle Royale.

Here's the first footage of Sony's upcoming 2D multiplayer brawler. The video is divided into four parts (which are easily found immediately after each chapter dot).

- Designed by vets from Naughty Dog and Santa Monica Studios, employees include talent from the fighting game genre
- Up to 4-players.... 2v2, 1v3, or free for all... online and/or offline
- 60 frames per second engine
- Not all characters were shown, but it includes Kratos, Sweet Tooth, Sly, Radec (boss from KZ), Fat Princess, Parappa the Rapper
- 3rd Party characters will be included (I'm guessing Snake, Laura Croft, FFVII hero/villain etc.)
- The stages are from PlayStation games and are interactive
- It has combos, three different super attack specials per character, a solo campaign with a surprise boss and more
- Due out October 2012

~~~

Update:

Lots of previews are out. Here is a brief summary from Destructoid[/URL]:

Quote:

Here's a quick rundown of the six debut characters:

Parappa the Rapper: Parappa is small and fast; a short-range melee character. His moves come right out of Chop Chop Master Onion's kung-fu dojo, though you'll have to be right up on your opponents to connect with most of them. One of his most useful moves is also pretty funny: he brings out his Boxy Boy boom box (it arrives with the classic "Aw yeah!" hip-hop sample) to the play field, where it spews AP bubbles that can be picked up to charge super meters. Smart players were using the boom box to level up and use Parappa's skateboard super, which dashes through and knocks out anyone in sight. It's a total dick move, but it works, and wins matches.

Radec: Killzone character Radec isn't as cute as our favorite dog rapper, but he makes up for it with badassness. He's quite the opposite of Parappa, working best as a long-distance attacker, with projectiles and lasers that easily land hits on the opposite side of the play field. His level one super gives the player a reticule that can be placed over any character to direct a large-scale fire attack.

Sweet Tooth: Those wanting to play as a strong bully will want to choose Twisted Metal's scary clown hero. He's huge and all about space control, with attacks that can send you flying. Up close he hits really hard, so stay away if you can. I loved using him to shoulder check enemies to send flying across the screen. His level three special is flashy, bringing fire and parts flying out of the sky to his body to turn him into Mechatooth, armed with a machine gun that will easily mow all opponents down.

Fat Princess: No one picked the big girl in the first rounds, but I found that she was one of my favorites after trying her out. I fell in love after seeing her match opening animation, which has her instantly plumping up after downing a piece of cake. Princess has swinging mid-range attacks that are fast and reliable, and they provide good defense, as a lot of jumping and blind swinging can take place. She's surprisingly agile and has lots of power.

Sly Cooper: Sly is unique in that he has no defense at all. Instead, and true to his character, he can turn invisible by hitting the block button. This makes him quite a bit more sneaky, as he can get behind opponents to use his special moves in close range. His normal attacks glide him from platform to platform, and he can fly/attack diagonally, making him great at recovery.

Kratos: Anyone that has enjoyed any of the God of War games will feel right at home with Kratos, as he plays exactly the same in All-Stars. He's the best all-arounder of the initial line-up, with a mix of both ranged and close quarters moves. His spin attacks take up huge space, and his spear-based pokes will push you back. He's a beast.

Quote:

My favorite stage mixes a Jak and Daxter village with Hot Shots Golf. From nowhere, with no notice, Hot Shots characters begin using the play field as a driving range, with ultra-hot golf balls raining down on you and your opponents like missiles

Quote:

- The team consists of members with extensive backgrounds in fighting and combat titles

- Either the left analog stick or the d-pad controls movement of your character.

- The right stick will let you perform throws, with different ones assigned to each direction.

- The X button jumps, and the other three face buttons are assigned to different attacks.

- L1 blocks and R1 picks up items.

- R2, executes a super move. While fighting, you'll build up a meter that lets you perform a super move that knocks out characters.

- Also, some attacks knock AP (action points) out of opponents, letting others pick them up to fill up these meters. There are three levels of supers, each one stronger than the last, and each requiring another filling of this meter. If you can manage to land hits and survive long enough, a level three super can knock out all other players, earning you points.

- Victory goes to the player with the highest number of KOs; knocking out a character adds to your score while being knocked out subtracts from it.

- So, there's nothing in the way of health bars here, as health doesn't really matter in the long run.

- Most of the matches I played were frantic free-for-alls that had us hitting each other in any way possible in an effort to get those meters filled up.

- Get excited about the control, because it's outstanding. SuperBot really nailed it. It's fast, super-responsive, and never gets in the way of the crazy action. The in-air stuff is not floaty at all; jumps do what you need them to, when you need them to. I never had a problem blocking, platforming or recovering.

NeoGAF [/url]summarizes the unique play mechanics of the stages shown inthe preview:

Quote:

Hades stage (hades doing things during the fight) Includes Patapon elements.
Buzz stage (get quizzed DURING the fight)
LBP stage (starts off empty, stage builds as you play)
Sandover Village stage
Ratchet and Clank stage with Hydra from GoW

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 04-26-2012, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Supposed to be revealed on GTTV later tonight, right?

360/PSN ID - PanzerNinja

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 42 Old 04-26-2012, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

They are revealing a PS3 exclusive, but it's not guaranteed to be this game. It may also be something like Heavy Rain developer's new project or Sony Santa Monica's non-GoW title or Guerilla Games new IP. God of War: Ascension (with game play snippets) is an outside possibility too.

post #4 of 42 Old 04-26-2012, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 61
ign is revealing the same game. supposedly at midnight pacific time. hope it's not this game because the premise doesn't interest me in the slightest.

500 gigs FTW.
post #5 of 42 Old 04-26-2012, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Bye.

~~~~
First post updated with the info.

post #6 of 42 Old 04-27-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Looks fun.
post #7 of 42 Old 04-27-2012, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The first post has been updated with some interesting new details as well as some pics

post #8 of 42 Old 04-27-2012, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
how long has smash bros been out? 12 years? And just now PS decides to copy it? hope there is a demo
post #9 of 42 Old 04-27-2012, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Nariko better be in this game.
post #10 of 42 Old 04-27-2012, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I watched a video and the fighting system is neat. It's like Smash Brothers in reverse. Instead of beating up guys to build up the opponent's meter, you beat up guys to build up your own meter. With your meter you can knock guys out.

Every preview I have read says it plays very differently from Smash Brothers.
post #11 of 42 Old 04-27-2012, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

That's a unique approach for fighting games in general; it doesn't even have health bars!

Those mechanics sound pretty cool. In theory it really promotes being aggressive because if you try to turtle at a distance for two opponents to defeat each other, you aren't building up the Super meter and can get no points. By the time one foe gets rid of the other, he has a Super and can come for a more vulnerable you.

It also seems that there will likely be some manual rubberbanding going on. Rubberbanding in competitive games is when the computer decides to gimp the winning player (like a leader in a race) or nerf a loser to make the finish closer. With this type of fighting mechanic, if one player is, say, five points ahead of the other three, I would think the three would gang up on the inner because you LOSE points when you are knocked-out.

Fighting games are by far my favorite genre, and this one has enough play mechanic features to keep me interested until launch.

post #12 of 42 Old 04-27-2012, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Yea, it's definitely a novel approach, but why not.

Worst case scenario is that we have a pretty Smash Brothers clone with a good online mode. I think the game will turn out better than that.
post #13 of 42 Old 04-28-2012, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Oh, I agree. I actually like new concepts if done well. For instance, I was in awe of this type of fighter in the arcade where it was first invented by Namco.

Most people don't realize it, but Super Smash Bros. was inspired by 1994's The Outfoxies. I absolutely LOVED this game; me and my buddies discovered it at an arcade and played it to death. The characters are spies and villains whose mission is to eliminate each other, and the way some of the stages evolved during game play is still unmatched IMHO.

This video clip goes over most of the stages. In particular, watch the level in an apartment. One spy sets a time bomb in the lower right, and after a few minutes of fighting each other, the bomb goes off and the characters have to survive the building falling apart and a flood carrying them off while they keep fighting each other. Eventually, the floor breaks to take them lower and lower into the apartment complex until they reach the small basement surrounded by almost every weapon in the game.

So I was pleased to see that PSASBR has evolving stages because it was a feature of Outfoxies that I enjoyed so much. Hopefully it there are areas to fight in the final release.

post #14 of 42 Old 04-28-2012, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I hope they end up with like 30 playable characters and half as many stages.

They need:
Ratchet with clank on his back
Nathan Drake
Jak with Daxter
Cole (my personal favorite)

Now playing: Madden, Diablo 3, First Light, PvZ: GW
Recently Finished: Watch Dogs
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #15 of 42 Old 05-04-2012, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I'm hoping this thing also comes out for the PS Vita At least than chances of that happening are more than 0%. Here's a quote
Quote:

Any chance that we might see this on Vita?
Maybe Stay tuned.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/...his-interview/

Now for the unthinkable. Get both the PS3 and PS Vita version for the same price. Basically buy one get one free so to speak. That's one way to get people to get the download version. Realistically I won't be surprise if PS3 players would be able to play against PS Vita players.

As for the name, perhaps Sony might as well have called it PlayStation Smash Fighters. Maybe they'll include Mega Man as one of the third party characters.

My Youtube page:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Flickr page:

post #16 of 42 Old 07-02-2012, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Whoa, this is some big news in the fighting game community. Seth Killian, long time employee of Capcom and dedicated fighting game enthusiast has joined Sony Santa Monica to help in the development of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale. He joins other noted hardcore players on the team such as Clockwork and Ed Ma. Here is Seth's post at the official Sony blog:
Quote:
Hello PlayStation, I’m Seth Killian. A few of you may know me as a familiar face in the world of fighting games, but I’m writing today to say that I’ve joined Sony as the lead game designer for the external group at the Sony’s Santa Monica Studio.

I was excited to join Santa Monica Studio in particular because of the chance to work with some great individuals, but also because of the incredible range of projects they take on. If you head out of my office and turn right, you’ll run into the “God of War: Ascension” team. If you turn left, you’ll find the Giant Sparrow crew working on “The Unfinished Swan.” There are other amazing studios in the world, but nowhere else that I know where you can find that kind of diversity combined with such a deep commitment to greatness–which also happens to sum up what’s so exciting to me about Sony overall.

The external group works with Sony’s outside studios — teams like Queasy Games (Sound Shapes), Fun Bits Interactive (Escape Plan), thatgamecompany (Flower, Journey), and… SuperBot Entertainment, makers of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale!

Fighting games are very close to my heart, and as someone that’s spent much of my life with traditional fighters, All-Stars has been a great opportunity to take a step back and rethink fighting fundamentals from the ground up. The entire team was put together from scratch to create this game, and they are loaded with fighting game superstars (including some impressive tournament credentials–I’m not even the first EVO finalist to join the team!) who love great combat just as much as I do.

All-Stars is also a total love-letter to Sony fans. From the characters, to their special moves, to the incredible level 3 supers, and the stages themselves, I’m not sure there’s ever been such a giant dose of fan-service in Sony history. Beyond great character designs or all the ingenious little ideas that make combat feel great, the real test of a great game to me is that “just *one* more game!” feeling. If it’s 3am and you have to work the next day, but you’ve still got the urge to play again, you know you’re doing something right. You only have to walk through SuperBot’s studio and see all the staff being scolded to stop playing their own game andget back to work to know that they’ve really got something special cooking.

You don’t have to take my word for it, however–we’ll be taking All-Stars on the road and making sure you guys have plenty of opportunities to go hands-on, starting with PlayStation’s first official presence at EVO this weekend. More details soon.

For everyone that’s already reached out, thank you so much for the kind welcome into PlayStation Nation, and for everyone else, I look forward to doing my absolute best to give PlayStation fans the great games they deserve.

post #17 of 42 Old 07-05-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Absolutely cannot freaking wait for this game. If its anywhere near as good as smash bros with a good online system it will be a HUGE success for Sony.

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build

post #18 of 42 Old 07-05-2012, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Stay tuned for more info and gameplay clips coming out of Evo 2012, the fighting game championships being held this weekend. Sony has secured a presentation slot at this ultra-hardcore event, so it'll be interesting to see how it is received.

post #19 of 42 Old 07-27-2012, 04:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Check your email, I got a beta invite to this last night

The Weekend Warriors
post #20 of 42 Old 07-27-2012, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

If anyone is willing to share their beta code I would appreciate it like no other. I can't wait for this game!
Thanks,

post #21 of 42 Old 08-09-2012, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I just got a beta code in my email. Guess they're sending out a second batch of them. Guess I'll give it a go to see what all the fuss is about.

500 gigs FTW.
post #22 of 42 Old 08-11-2012, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

I just got a beta code in my email. Guess they're sending out a second batch of them. Guess I'll give it a go to see what all the fuss is about.

OR

You could give me your code and I could record a few matches for you to let you know what all the fuss is about.

post #23 of 42 Old 08-12-2012, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, I already used it. But had I known it was this bad, I would have gladly given it to you. Controls don't feel responsive at all. I will say that seeing Hades transform into some little kid's game was pretty cool.

500 gigs FTW.
post #24 of 42 Old 08-13-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

The controls feel unresponsive?
Did you just play as one character or multiple?
Who did you use?

I know its not supposed to be smash bros but thats my only point of reference for now.
Do you play smash bros at all?

post #25 of 42 Old 08-13-2012, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Never played it. I used Kratos.

500 gigs FTW.
post #26 of 42 Old 08-15-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Some characters in smash bros seem like they have a slower moveset than others. Usually the harder hitting characters, Snake is the best example it seems like his moveset is delayed compared to say lucas or diddy kong.

Its possible that its just a leveling tactic used to balance characters. Kratos doesnt look to be the heavy hitter in this game though. From what I've seen of chars like Sly cooper, that character requires responsive, presice controls to be able to play him correctly.

post #27 of 42 Old 08-15-2012, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The game has been delayed. It will now release a month later on November 20th.

post #28 of 42 Old 08-15-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

The game has been delayed. It will now release a month later on November 20th.

MOTHER F&*K#$!

post #29 of 42 Old 10-15-2012, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 33
"Get a taste of PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale in the Beta - running from 10/16 to 10/30. PlayStation Plus Members on the PS3 and ANY Vita owners can enter the fray from 10/16 through 10/22. The beta is then public and open to all from 10/23 to 10/30."

It's about time they released the public Beta. I somehow have a feeling more characters will be announced as DLC.

My Youtube page:

My Flickr page:

post #30 of 42 Old 10-15-2012, 08:19 PM

Liked: 15
cant wait to try this out tomorrow
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page