God of War: Ascension - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 110 Old 03-21-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 287
I just saw an article that said GameStop is giving you God of War saga for free if you buy ascension. 6 GoW games for $60 isn't a bad deal at all.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 110 Old 03-22-2013, 04:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

I just saw an article that said GameStop is giving you God of War saga for free if you buy ascension. 6 GoW games for $60 isn't a bad deal at all.

It's true, but online ony.

I finished up the story last night on hard. I really liked it, but I rank it 4th of the six games in the series (1, 3, 2, Ascension, then the 2 PSP games).

The Trials in chapter 28 aren't as bad as people are making it out to be. I don't think there's a need for a patch they are talking about. It took me 5 tries to pass it.

The Weekend Warriors
post #93 of 110 Old 03-24-2013, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
I'm around chapter 13 and I'm not really getting into this game as much as previous entries. It looks pretty, but it all feels kind of empty and compulsory this time around. The story has been almost nonexistent (for the flashback portions it's not even clear why there are enemies everywhere), the non-combat portions have led to lots of cheap deaths from fighting the horrid wall climbing mechanics and the iffy grappling hitboxes, and the combat itself seems to boil down to spamming parries and long-distance attacks, because enemies constantly block, but the controls are too loose to consistently take advantage of openings the way a game like Ninja Gaiden would allow. And whoever decided it was a good idea to pull the camera back ridiculously far while you're in the middle of fighting people needs to have their head examined.

Haven't tried the multiplayer yet, but I haven't heard anyone raving about it, so I'm not really in any hurry.

Too bad. Maybe they should have moved forward or rebooted in a different mythology instead.

- Jer
post #94 of 110 Old 03-24-2013, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
i just wanna add that the Square button is the only button i used in this whole game. tongue.gif
post #95 of 110 Old 03-24-2013, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
This game really isn't memorable like 3 is. But, you can't expect to compete with getting to kill almost every god in one game, and Hercules as a bonus. They tried, but they're out of ammo. Maybe the sequel to 3 will be something cool. But really, they're gonna have to make up a bunch of stuff just like they had to do with this game, so I'm not too sure. It's a decent game, but nothing special like the original trilogy is.

500 gigs FTW.
post #96 of 110 Old 03-26-2013, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 188
My first play through (Hard difficulty) took me about 15 hours. I jumped right back in for New Game+ (also on Hard) and it took me 8 hours. I think I now have a good feel for the game, but although I've beaten every GoW release (often multiple times), the combat in this one was the toughest for me to get the hang of.

I actually like that a lot of the old tactics don't work. It forced me to learn it as a whole new game, unlike most of the others which just built off the existing combat engine. Some aspects have been simplified (the basic combos are shared by all four weapons), but the special weapon moves, the addition of the three special items, temporary weapons laying around, the new mechanics of Rage and the use of magic still allowed for a ton of battle variety and tactics.

The biggest improvement with the combat engine IMHO is the enemy A.I.. You ca'nt do crowd control with AoE spamming moves as easily as you could in the previous games. You have to understand the recovery of your attacks because if you are stuck too long, the monsters wake up much earlier than before and hit you. They even do a better job at dodging your attack combos when they sense a momentary pause for a slower move, and block more frequently. I loved this because it kept me on my toes to try things out (though some old tactics still worked on certain creatures).

The difficulty in some of the stages on Hard mode really forced me to man up. I spent over two hours total on Trial of Archimedes alone (pre-patch). I couldn't fake my way through it like I did some of the earlier fights. That was where I finally nailed down how best to use certain attacks, the best way to use Rage, and it got me to master defensive techniques like parrying. Stuff like that fight really made me love the game more, though in my replay I was able to pass it on my first try so maybe it wasn't really all that tough, but it just seems that way until you really (really) understand the fighting play mechanics unique to this sequel.

Besides the main combat engine, it was interesting to see the changes in the QTE mechanics. The most fun with it is when you grab a large creature as the camera zooms in to your multiple stabs to it while you dodge its desperate final attacks. Some of the other stuff was iffy at times, but nothing too offensive.

The creature variety and impressive design are highlights. Santa Monica Studios knows how to design monsters, and this is one of their best collections in a game, particularly the "mid" bosses. I really enjoyed those battles. The big monster fights were on par with those from the rest of the series, and like always, the epic presentation skills the developer shows in this series helped make this an awesome experience.

Overall, the visuals are top notch, certainly some of the best stuff seen on the system. The lighting in particular stood out, and though the texture work in some areas were low budget, overall the game looks very good.

The puzzles were pretty interesting, and while the time mechanic is a bit clumsy, again I like it that they tried to do something different from the games in the past. Two of the puzzles really had me stuck for awhile, but none of them are particularly unfair in retrospect.

I was most disappointed in the game's frame rate, which is playable but not as smooth as I prefer in my action titles. It is mainly an issue when the camera zooms back, so the most of the game it is "solid". Speaking of the camera, they really need to do away with the forced pixel fighting stages next game. I don't like when the action is so far away that you can't see anything but little blips moving about. Thankfully it is only a problem in a scene or two, but it bugged me all the same.

I had quite a few glitches and game freezes in my first play through (pre patch) and almost none in my second play through (post patch). I know they are working hard on other fixes, but I have to say that this game isn't as polished as its predecessors. The sound is real low all game, and the music is not booming with epicness most times, unlike what we normal hear in the series.

Overall, I give the single player campaign an 8.5. I had a TON of fun playing it, and unlike GoW3 I replayed it right away. I'll give it a break for a few months before I go for Titan mode, and perhaps I'll finally replay GoW3 before then.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #97 of 110 Old 03-28-2013, 08:41 AM

Liked: 10
Thanks for your impressions JoeBlow, I look to you as one of the Player Gods of GoW series. :~)

You're one of the people who goes out of their way to explain combat techniques, which distinguishes gameplay from button mashing.

Cheers!
post #98 of 110 Old 03-28-2013, 01:38 PM

Man. Almost too gruesome on this one for me. Some of those kills are just too much.
post #99 of 110 Old 03-28-2013, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks. I still play beat 'me ups like Streets of Rage to this day because I like how these games emphasize efficient, crowd control strategies while keeping you on your toes defensively. If anyone is going for a plat and wants some combat tips for Hard difficulty, let me know. Someone above claims he got through the game with one button. It might work on the casual difficulties (I dunno), but it's not that simple at all if you play the more challenging option.

post #100 of 110 Old 03-29-2013, 09:04 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Thanks Joe. Your review convinced me to put this back on my rental list as I had kind of written it off. Looking forward to checking it out.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #101 of 110 Old 03-30-2013, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Completely disappointed with Ascension and I love the God of War series:

-the campaign is short and buggy (so many audio drops and glitches, I've also fallen through the environment geometry several times, the game takes a few seconds to register legit player deaths before the continue screen, etc.); this is completely unacceptable as SSM is known for their attention to detail and the previous Kratos games did not have this level of glitchiness

-the story has no true coda and no significant character arcs

-the multiplayer is also buggy; in Capture the Flag, the game routinely mislabels enemies and allies who carry flags (vis a vis, an enemy carrying your flag will show as "Protect" while an ally carrying an enemy flag will show as "Attack"), flags when saved sometimes take an interminable amount of time to respawn, I've seen flag bearers run while carrying the flag, flag bearers have an health glitch where they lose no health even when getting attacked by several teammates, etc.

-multiplayer only has four maps and variations on 2 versus modes and it's basically a tacked on aimless button mash fest that probably took focus and resources from the campaign (which may explain the glitches)

Congrats, Todd Papy, of all the previous directors of the God of War games, you have directly the buggiest and by far the worst. Even the PSP/PS3 ported games are better.
post #102 of 110 Old 03-30-2013, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Hmm, no comments on the gameplay, which is the meat and potatoes of any title. It's a good thing that they've already announced that the bugs and audio issues are being worked on. Still, they don't keep the game from being highly playable and enjoyable IMHO.

post #103 of 110 Old 03-30-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

My first play through (Hard difficulty) took me about 15 hours. I jumped right back in for New Game+ (also on Hard) and it took me 8 hours. I think I now have a good feel for the game, but although I've beaten every GoW release (often multiple times), the combat in this one was the toughest for me to get the hang of.

For me, the change of the parry command to two buttons is what makes the combat a lot harder. I can hardly ever get it to trigger, so I'm left with rolling and jumping to evade damage. I much preferred the old method of parrying.

500 gigs FTW.
post #104 of 110 Old 03-30-2013, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It was too difficult for me to do the two-input method (press block and then press parry), so whenever I wanted to parry an enemy I would hold block until just before impact and then clicked X. Because the parry is a 360 degree move, you don't have to be facing the enemy when you do it. I don't know if there is an easier way, but that's how I got it to work consistently.

post #105 of 110 Old 03-30-2013, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Just finished the game. Final verdict: "Meh." All style, not enough substance. And unlike previous entries, I really have no desire whatsoever to play through this again on a higher difficulty. "Hollow" is probably the best way to sum up the game, IMO. Oh well.

- Jer
post #106 of 110 Old 04-04-2013, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Patch 1.04 is due out soon, which addresses the audio issues, some multiplayer fixes/enhancements (level cap raise, new items and magics) and other stuff.

post #107 of 110 Old 04-07-2013, 01:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Patch 1.04 is due out soon, which addresses the audio issues, some multiplayer fixes/enhancements (level cap raise, new items and magics) and other stuff.

I hope so since I put this game on hold hoping for a fix and turned my attention to something else in the meantime.
post #108 of 110 Old 05-08-2013, 05:26 PM

Liked: 22
Sorry to necrobump, but since DLC for this game was released yesterday I thought it would be good to post that in here too.

On May 7th, the NA and SA PSN Stores posted DLC for the MP portion of God of War : Ascension. The DLC, according to the Playstation Store Blog, is the following:
Quote:
God of War: Ascension
  • Armor of Callisto Multiplayer Armor (Free for Season Pass) ($2.99) – Worn by the sons of Arcadia, this armor bears only malice for its enemies and a taste for vengeance. Download this unique armor set to customize your multiplayer warrior.
  • Blade of Artemis Multiplayer Weapon (Free for Season Pass) ($2.99) – Carried by the moonlit sister of Apollo during the great Titan War, this blade slices through enemies with the stealth of a midnight hunt. Download this weapon to add it to your multiplayer arsenal of weapons and customizable armor.
  • Blade of Thanatos Multiplayer Weapon (Free for Season Pass) ($2.99) – A gift of grim devastation from Erinys to her father, this stolen blade now unleashes the dark domain of Death. Download this weapon to add it to your Multiplayer arsenal of weapons and customizable armor.
  • Chaos Armor Multiplayer Armor (Free for Season Pass) ($2.99) – Divided by the Eye of Chaos, this armor storms the arena with disarray and anarchy. Download this unique armor set to customize your multiplayer warrior.
  • Chimeran Armor Multiplayer Armor (Free) – Wrapped in a Chimeran pelt, this armor bucks authority with both a viper’s venom and a lion’s pride. Download this unique armor set to customize your multiplayer warrior.

If you have the Season Pass for the DLC, all of this is free. If you do not have a Season Pass, you'll need to purchase this either through your PS3 or on your PC at the PSN Store. [Captain Obvious strikes!] You will not need to download ANYTHING. Why? Well all of this DLC is already on the game disc. That is right. Sony Santa Monica is practicing the art of On-Disc DLC. When you make the purchases through the Playstation Store, it is listed as a service on your account. There is nothing for you to download.

Now I don't play MP on this game as it doesn't seem fun to me and I am greatly opposed to forcing MP into SP only series, but this is just the icing on the cake. It is despicable that they are charging people to unlock content that was already on the disc. Content which was tested and tested again prior to the pressing of the discs, and was certified to go when the game went gold. You are now required to pay more money in order to use that DLC. So very, very sad. frown.gif
post #109 of 110 Old 05-09-2013, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

How can you be certain the DLC was on the disc and not part of a patch?

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #110 of 110 Old 05-23-2013, 04:45 PM

Liked: 22
As an FYI to anybody who is still playing the MP part of this game. Earlier today, SSM released patch 1.06 which was supposed to add a few new Trials maps and other MP gameplay enhancements, as well as supposedly fixing the bridge-freeze issue that was popping up for many of the SP folks. Well, SSM did release the patch, but the patch also completely wipes clean your MP characters. Sony has taken the patch offline, but if you had already downloaded the patch you are "currently" screwed. At the official God of War forums hosted by Sony, it has been stated that the development team is working their asses off to get this corrected and the patch re-deployed, but no ETA has been provided.

Sounds like their poor-performing programming/QA team has now impacted MP just as much as it had negatively impacted SP. Just wow.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page