Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 110 Old 04-29-2012, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 199

~~~

God of War: Ascension is a prequel to the other releases in the series. It has improved graphics/lighting, revamped platforming/climbing and other improvements not yet announced.

It also a multiplayer battle mode for up to eight fighters is confirmed, with different classes such as healer, defensive tank, etc. depending on which god you pledge allegiance.

Quote:

God of War: Ascension has online and offline multiplayer battles for up to eight players. There are a variety of multiplayer modes, customisable avatar warriors, armour and weapon types to unlock. Eurogamer's Johnny Minkley saw it in action for a God of War: Ascension preview, published today.

Multiplayer "combines the brutal gameplay and large-scale battles that God of War is known for to create a competitive experience like never before", Sony said. According to game director Todd Pappy it's a "fresh twist" on competitive gaming.

But the game has single-player, too, this time with a "revamped" combat and weapon system, "promptless" mini-games and new puzzles. Sony mentioned "fluid, life-like characters, dynamic lighting effects, and world-changing scenarios".

Pappy told Eurogamer Ascension's campaign is "just a little bit shorter" than in previous God of War games. "We've mapped out everything and given time estimates. It'll be pretty damn close."

And lead combat designer Jason McDonald insisted that single-player has not suffered as a result of the addition of multiplayer. "We didn't want to sacrifice single-player for multiplayer, neither did we want to tack [the latter] on," he said. "We're definitely going full force with both."
As for the story, Ascension sees players assume the role of Kratos as he tries to break the blood oath that binds him to Ares. Since this is a prequel, we get to see a younger Kratos, one driven mad after bring tricked into killing his wife and child. In the game Kratos "seeks to break his bond and gain the clarity to seek revenge on Ares for his part in the death of his family". Helping is his signature double-chained blades.

Here are some pics of the upcoming release:

~~~

Here's a video interview with the new director and snippet of multiplayer in action (the .gif above from NeoGAF was pulled from it):

~~~

E3 2012 trailer of the campaign:

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 110 Old 04-29-2012, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32

People should stick to the OG thread.

Link:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1405222

This guy even went about sending me a PM to start a new thread just because of the thread title.

Gee why I am not surprised this guy is trying to play mini mod again on the forums.
post #3 of 110 Old 04-29-2012, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You are contradicting yourself and are worked up over nothing. So you admit I PM'd you to ask if you want to make a thread, and you say I hijacked you too? Make up your mind.

I actually prefer more people start up game threads for discussion. Since you posted up the speculation thread on a game, I sent the PM to you to do just that (or change the thread title) once we knew it was not called GoW 4 but God of War: Ascension. You didn't answer back or start a new thread, so I assumed you didn't want to do it. Here is what I PM'd you a few weeks back:
Quote:
God of War: Ascension?
Since we know the actual name of the new GoW game, perhaps you should create a thread for it?

Rather than go through the next two+ years talking about "God of War: Ascension" in a thread called "God Of War IV: Announcement Coming 04-19-12" as you put it, I posted this one for clarity. Searching at this site is already screwy enough for people not to be able to find a thread on this release because the title is all wrong. That makes no sense at all.

And for the record, there have been times that I made new threads with the real title of a game after I myself made speculation threads before it. So this wasn't anything against you or an attempt to"hijack". People can post where ever they wish, but get your story straight before you start making wild accusations.

post #4 of 110 Old 04-30-2012, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
1st world problems.

Speaking as someone who really doesn't care either way--Since we all now know the actual title of the game, the discussion thread should have the ACTUAL title of the game in it.

If Joe suggested you have the title changed, and you didn't, I understand this thread. The first part of the other thread is talking about if it even IS the new God of War game....

The comment about "mini-mod"-ing sounds like a preexisting bias that really has nothing to do with God of War: Ascension.

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #5 of 110 Old 04-30-2012, 07:02 AM

Liked: 11
Chill out there Fil, you went through more work posting here with that picture than it would have taken to update your title. Just sayin..

Anyway, I'm wondering how this will turn out. I know the gameplay will be amazing, but I'm a little concerned with how they will fit the story in with the rest of the games. I will be purchasing day 1 regardless.

Thanks for the update Joe, I was not aware of the video releasing today.

XBL - Th3Chosen0ne

post #6 of 110 Old 04-30-2012, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Things would go smoother in general if this site let you change the title of a thread after the 24-hour time limit. Oh well.

~~~~

Back on topic, the first post has been updated with details.

The live stream is starting right now at the official blog.

Multiplayer video:

post #7 of 110 Old 04-30-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
There's a difference between a rumor/speculation thread and a post-announcement thread. Makes sense to me. I also don't understand why anyone would be territorial over thread "ownership." I've been posting here for a good long while (a glance left tells me I've got almost 7000 posts), and I think I've only ever started 4 or 5 threads. No one cares.

Anyhow, I'm totally stoked to see where this game goes. My interest in the series waned after GoW3 (which I couldn't be bothered to finish). But these new trailers for Ascension have got me all fired up again. Multiplayer in a God of War game? Yes, please.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #8 of 110 Old 04-30-2012, 11:43 AM

Liked: 832
Ditto, not sure what the big deal is as AVS is stupid and won't let you change topic titles, which makes it harder to find old threads of relevance.

Maybe contact a mod and have them merge these / change the title? In the grand scheme of thing, as CMan said, no one cares.
post #9 of 110 Old 04-30-2012, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ That's cool with me. If the mod wants to change Flip's thread title, I don't mind that either. He can even cut 'n paste info from this thread if he wants to should we end up going that route.

As I have said several times over the years, I wish more people would start discussion threads. There's not too much to it if you at least cut 'n paste in a basic description and maybe the release date when it is known.

post #10 of 110 Old 04-30-2012, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Blood looks a little off. And it's definitely lame that it doesn't accumulate on the floor after they slice open the cyclops. But they did have that effect in GoW 3, so hopefully they just haven't added it yet.

500 gigs FTW.
post #11 of 110 Old 04-30-2012, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Interesting details on the customization of multiplayer characters:

Quote:

Customization is a major focus in Ascension, Papy tells me. When the multiplayer mode begins, players go through trials as a tutorial and face off against an enemy they have no chance of defeating. In order to gain victory, players must sell their champion's soul to one of four gods: Zeus, Hades, Ares, or Poseidon. This decision allows players to try out different weapons, armor sets, and perks, inspired by the god of their choice.

"Once you chose your allegiance, you can customize how you want to look," Papy explains. "There's actually six different places you can customize your armor: boots, skirts, gauntlets, chest piece, shoulder piece, and helmet. You can do what you want." Like other persistent character multiplayer titles, Ascension allows Champions to evolve with new items, looks, and even specials and combos over time, each with a tilt based on the god selected for your character.

post #12 of 110 Old 04-30-2012, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

Blood looks a little off. And it's definitely lame that it doesn't accumulate on the floor after they slice open the cyclops. But they did have that effect in GoW 3, so hopefully they just haven't added it yet.

It's still a year or so off from release (assuming March 2013), so a lot can change. Also, that footage is from multiplayer, so there may be sacrifices to effects that are still standard in singleplayer. It's too early to be too critical.

To me, this looks like a massively retooled version of Fat Princess--a game that never quite got its fair shake. It actually makes me want to give GoW3 another chance.

post #13 of 110 Old 04-30-2012, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

post #14 of 110 Old 04-30-2012, 06:48 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 459
No QTEs? Bummer. I always enjoyed those. Still very excited for this game though!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #15 of 110 Old 05-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

No QTEs? Bummer. I always enjoyed those. Still very excited for this game though!

I wouldn't jump to that assumption yet. Sony Santa Monica has not given any info on the single player story part of this new GOW game.

I read in article on some video game website that they will start to talk about the single player parts of the game in 2 weeks and of course more info will be released when E3 hits in 1 month.
post #16 of 110 Old 05-01-2012, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I could've sworn I read that somewhere. OK, it has been edited out of the first post.

post #17 of 110 Old 05-01-2012, 04:57 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipinoyakuza View Post

I wouldn't jump to that assumption yet. Sony Santa Monica has not given any info on the single player story part of this new GOW game.

I read in article on some video game website that they will start to talk about the single player parts of the game in 2 weeks and of course more info will be released when E3 hits in 1 month.

Cool! I was just going off Joe's post......glad there is still hope.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #18 of 110 Old 05-03-2012, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Some early multiplayer details:

Quote:

The choice of weapon intersects with the character's chosen patron god, offering something close to a class system. Players can select from Poseidon, Hades, Zeus and Ares at character creation and each offers a different progression tree of skills, weapons, items (including themed armour) and magic, with experience points (XP) earned for taking part in battles and achieving objectives. Santa Monica Studios is working on a system where levelling up can happen mid-fight, leading to one team earning a distinct advantage in real time rather than waiting until the dust has settled.

Players are also given a secondary attack that uses a weapon collected in the arena or, if they've not collected one, delivers a kick that pushes back opponents."We've put in a kick button," says Jason. "It makes sense. 'This is Sparta,' right? There will be weapons around the level that you can pick up and use, and if you don't have a weapon, you've got to kick. There'll be a lot of things to pick up and use in addition to your primary weapon."

post #19 of 110 Old 05-03-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^ Sounds more and more like a GoW-themed Fat Princess. And, yes, that's a good thing.

post #20 of 110 Old 05-04-2012, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Actually, the developer has pointed to the old-school sleeper hit Powerstone (arcade/Dreamcast) as one of the main inspirations for multiplayer.

~~~

Here's a link to a recent podcast from the official blog where Mark Simon (the lead designer) is interviewed about the game (starts around the 15:30 mark). They are tweaking a lot of the standard mechanics in the series. A couple of things I noticed...

- No more struggling to open chests. Kratos bashes them open.
- Promptless mini-games... this must be what I heard regarding the possible end of QTE in boss fights
- The player will have more direct control over the camera (new for a GoW game).
- No more 'O' button icon prompt over stunned players
- Brutal multiplayer kills will be varied. "So many different ways to die it never gets old."
- You can rack up kill streaks on an opponent. He can try to get revenge on you.
- Multiplayer levels, textures, etc. look incredible
- The GoW team talked to other Sony teams like Naughty Dog for tips to ensure they don't gimp the single or multiplayer modes
- More details coming soon

post #21 of 110 Old 05-04-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Actually, the developer has pointed to the old-school sleeper hit Powerstone (arcade/Dreamcast) as one of the main inspirations for multiplayer.

Interesting, but I don't really see it. Power Stone has always seemed to me just a 3D version of Smash Bros. But I can see why Santa Monica Studios would allude to Power Stone instead of Fat Princess--PS has got more geek cred, it was much more popular, and it isn't another active Sony property. Nonetheless, it's hard to avoid the resemblances between Ascension and FP (in mechanics, design, and presentation). Perhaps not surprising considering the studio's involvement in helping make Fat Princess. It is still really early, though.

post #22 of 110 Old 09-02-2012, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

New PAX video is up. I'm on media blackout for this game now so I won't watch this one:

post #23 of 110 Old 12-13-2012, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Multiplayer beta code giveaway! Go to this link and follow its instructions to get early access to the beta. I'm downloading it right now.

If they are all gone by the time you read this, PS+ members get access to the beta in early January.

post #24 of 110 Old 12-14-2012, 10:31 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Multiplayer beta code giveaway! Go to this link and follow its instructions to get early access to the beta. I'm downloading it right now.
If they are all gone by the time you read this, PS+ members get access to the beta in early January.
thanks joeblow got my code from them about a hour ago downloading now
post #25 of 110 Old 12-14-2012, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth tha boss View Post

thanks joeblow got my code from them about a hour ago downloading now

How long did it take after you created an account and sent a PM.Until they sent you the PSN beta key code.
post #26 of 110 Old 12-15-2012, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I got mine in five minutes or so. Look at the "who's online" list to see if CR Team is logged in. If not, you may have to wait a bit.

post #27 of 110 Old 12-15-2012, 03:39 PM

Liked: 11
I got my beta code by playing the online interactive game. Not sure if they are still available, but people may want to give it a try:

https://www.godofwar.com/rise-of-the-warrior/#
post #28 of 110 Old 12-15-2012, 04:46 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipinoyakuza View Post

How long did it take after you created an account and sent a PM.Until they sent you the PSN beta key code.
about 12 hours or so granted that when i signed up they weren't online
post #29 of 110 Old 12-18-2012, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
It did take me a few tries to get the beta code from Fragnation, but I eventually go it.

I like this multiplayer beta better than PlayStation All-Stars. It seems less chaotic and more fun to me at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFelizardo View Post

I got my beta code by playing the online interactive game. Not sure if they are still available, but people may want to give it a try:
https://www.godofwar.com/rise-of-the-warrior/#

This works too. It seems to be linked to your ID. I just tried it out and got another code.
post #30 of 110 Old 01-19-2013, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

This new teaser commercial of the main adventure is looking great!

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page