When (IF ever) is ESPN coming to PS3? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 05-24-2012, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tried googling for an answer to no avail...does MS have some kind of financial arrangement with Bristol in order to get ESPN exclusivity on x360??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-25-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

does MS have some kind of financial arrangement with Bristol in order to get ESPN exclusivity on x360??

I believe they do, so it's very unlikely we will get it.
post #3 of 17 Old 05-27-2012, 02:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Honestly who cares?

Really?

Unless someone is trying to go the "Cutting the cords" route and trying to get by with no cable or satellite tv monthly bill.

I just never understood what appeal people had with having a XBOX 360, XBOX Live Gold membership, Cable bill, Internet ISP bill, and whatever channel subscriptions like ESPN or HBO just to have the option to watch it on another device like a video game console or Ipad.

That's a whole lot of $$$ spent by a person yearly just for an added luxury to view some TV programming a different way.
post #4 of 17 Old 05-27-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Even on 360...if your ISP doesn't support ESPN3 there's not a whole lot you can do with it.

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #5 of 17 Old 05-29-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipinoyakuza View Post

Honestly who cares?

That's a whole lot of $$$ spent by a person yearly just for an added luxury to view some TV programming a different way.

because it's not just watching ESPN on another device.

You get to select all your favorite teams across all the different sports. Then you get everything related to those teams organized for you automatically. For example, if you put the Green Bay Packers as a favorite, you'll see news and highlights for that team pulled from their talk shows, SportCenter, replay events, etc. So you don't have to watch 30 minutes of SportsCenter + 30 minutes of 1st and 10 + 30 minutes of NFL Live + 30 minutes of Behind the Horn to get a few minutes about the Packers.

For example, I have the UCLA Bruins as a favorite team so I was scrolling through what replays they had and they had some basketball tournament in Hawaii.

So you can be granular (choosing the Cowboys as your favorite team) or broad such as choosing NFL as your favorite team (if you choose NFL, it'll grab all NFL content).

But if you don't want to list by favorite teams, you can just scroll through the entire list of events, highlights, etc.

in terms of actual sporting events, you get ESPN3 in its entirety as well as some ESPN2 and ESPN content. I've been able to watch some Lakers games, some UCLA games, etc. both live and in replay. I grew up in Fresno and still have some friends there so since I listed the Fresno State Bulldogs as one of my teams, I can see volleyball, basketball, and football games from the WAC network.

and the interactivity is kinda neat. like when the bowl season rolls around, you can see how you're doing against your friends as they make it not only about wins/losses but by having a point system that rewards upsets, it's like a game.

Same thing applies for other apps that you know like the MLB app. It's not about just dumping content from the TV channel. It's about tailoring it to suit your needs.
post #6 of 17 Old 05-29-2012, 11:12 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

because it's not just watching ESPN on another device.

You get to select all your favorite teams across all the different sports. Then you get everything related to those teams organized for you automatically. For example, if you put the Green Bay Packers as a favorite, you'll see news and highlights for that team pulled from their talk shows, SportCenter, replay events, etc. So you don't have to watch 30 minutes of SportsCenter + 30 minutes of 1st and 10 + 30 minutes of NFL Live + 30 minutes of Behind the Horn to get a few minutes about the Packers.

For example, I have the UCLA Bruins as a favorite team so I was scrolling through what replays they had and they had some basketball tournament in Hawaii.

So you can be granular (choosing the Cowboys as your favorite team) or broad such as choosing NFL as your favorite team (if you choose NFL, it'll grab all NFL content).

But if you don't want to list by favorite teams, you can just scroll through the entire list of events, highlights, etc.

in terms of actual sporting events, you get ESPN3 in its entirety as well as some ESPN2 and ESPN content. I've been able to watch some Lakers games, some UCLA games, etc. both live and in replay. I grew up in Fresno and still have some friends there so since I listed the Fresno State Bulldogs as one of my teams, I can see volleyball, basketball, and football games from the WAC network.

and the interactivity is kinda neat. like when the bowl season rolls around, you can see how you're doing against your friends as they make it not only about wins/losses but by having a point system that rewards upsets, it's like a game.

Same thing applies for other apps that you know like the MLB app. It's not about just dumping content from the TV channel. It's about tailoring it to suit your needs.

That still doesnt justify the added cost. Like Filipinoyakuza said, you still have to pay for live, cable & your internet bill. Doesnt make much sense to me.

If you notice, none of Sony's apps require to have a cable subscription like the 360 does.
post #7 of 17 Old 05-29-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MA5CMPB View Post

If you notice, none of Sony's apps require to have a cable subscription like the 360 does.

And that is the biggest advantage to the PS3 IMHO.

Hopefully(there is no guarantee), the NFL Sunday ticket package will be $199 for PS3 customers, like it is for DirecTV customers this upcoming season. That is much more reasonable than $349.

But it may be only for DirecTV customers at that price. But here is too hoping.

If you are not an avid gamer(just play sparingly), like me, I think the PS3 at $249 is the best overall deal for a machine out there.

If a friend wanted a Blu-Ray, I would recommend this machine, even if he/she did not want a gaming machine because it is so much more at a great price.

If I were Sony, and I know the PS4 is coming no matter what, I would continue to send out upgrades galore for the PS3 on the side of the apps alone as a streaming device.

You can't beat everything this machine does for $249.
post #8 of 17 Old 05-29-2012, 12:53 PM

Liked: 13
@SteelersRule I agree. I like the Xbox but to me it has a lot of hidden costs.
post #9 of 17 Old 05-29-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Honestly who cares?

Really?

Unless someone is trying to go the "Cutting the cords" route and trying to get by with no cable or satellite tv monthly bill.

I just never understood what appeal people had with having a XBOX 360, XBOX Live Gold membership, Cable bill, Internet ISP bill, and whatever channel subscriptions like ESPN or HBO just to have the option to watch it on another device like a video game console or Ipad.

In my case, I watch a lot of footy (amongst other sports not televised on any broadcasting or subscription based channel). For me to watch some soccer games from a league like the Portuguese Liga, I'd have to subscribe to my cable company's Portuguese channel(s) package which would give me at most 1-2 games a week, and cost me significantly more than LIVE Gold alone. With LIVE Gold + EPSN360 app, I can watch the 1 game/week minimum they air, which usually follows one of the big 3 clubs (all I follow anyways). It's a big cost savings JUST on this league. Add more leagues to watch and its even more. Toss in the Spanish La Liga for the same XBL cost, which I would need to also pay additional for GOLTV or whatever other TV channels, and the savings continue.

I'm a big WEC/ALMS/endurance racing fan and SPEED has a huge bias towards NASCAR. I can watch WEC/ALMS/LeMans/etc in full and live. Also included in the single cost for XBL Gold.

If you're into NCAA sports like NCAA basketball or NCAA football, ESPN3 app has tons of games.

Too many people complain about the cost of XBL Gold. $4-5/month really is chump change for everything it offers. Sure I can stream this stuff on a PC, even hook it up to the TV but I don't need to when the console does it all with the XBL Gold subscription.

I would gladly welcome ESPN3 app on the PS3. I can't tell you how awesome it is to have it on my 360s and I'd love it on my PS3, and at first I thought it wasn't going to be a big thing. To me it is huge.

And it's not like you are exempt from paying the additional charges on PS3 like internet or Netflix or cable. You're just adding XBL Gold which is dirt cheap.

Onkyo 605 / Paradigm Titan / Paradigm CC Center / Paradigm ADP rear / HSU STF-1 / HD-A2 / 40gbPS3 / 360elite / Wii / PC
I hate fanboys..
anti-GT5:P-er ;)
eurokult.com
post #10 of 17 Old 05-29-2012, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by MA5CMPB View Post

That still doesnt justify the added cost. Like Filipinoyakuza said, you still have to pay for live, cable & your internet bill. Doesnt make much sense to me.

you don't need cable TV in order to get ESPN on the Xbox. You do need an ISP that supports ESPN3. that's true. I have Cox Cable only for Internet service. No VOIP. No TV service.
post #11 of 17 Old 05-29-2012, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I wish Microsoft would offer a special "Sports Lover Package", It could cost $20 per month, and I'd be cool with it. Here is what it would need to offer:

ESPN channels including the primary channel and ESPN 2 and ESPN news

NFL Network

TNT for basketball games only

TBS for basketball games only
post #12 of 17 Old 06-04-2012, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Honestly who cares?

Really?

That's exactly why I want it. I don't have cable and I watch a lot of sports on ESPN3. Right now I have to hook my laptop up to the tv. I'd like to just use my PS3 for it.
post #13 of 17 Old 06-05-2012, 05:23 AM

During yesterday's E3 press conference for Sony, they did show an ESPN logo posted during the presentation in which Jack T. spoke about the video service partners PlayStation is or will be working with... I haven't found anything further regarding this but I did notice the logo displayed as part of the slide deck.
post #14 of 17 Old 08-26-2012, 10:37 AM

Amen to that...but that would make too much sense and they wouldn't make enough money ripping you and I off.
post #15 of 17 Old 09-01-2012, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipinoyakuza View Post

Honestly who cares?

Really?

Wait...what?

I have both and Xbox 360, and a PS3. And the only thing you mentioned above that is extra (meaning regardless of which unit I had, I'd have to have extra) is the Gold Membership. Even if I didn't have an Xbox 360, I'd still have Internet and Satellite. Now if you choose not too, that's absolutely fine, but ultimately that has nothing to do with the unit's themselves. If you choose not to have internet, then it's moot which unit you have because then it's strictly an offline gaming console anyways. Yeah you have your added blu ray, but my 360 is much more network friendly than my PS3 (try playing a WMA protected file on your PS3). If you do have the internet, then really you get stuck with the Gold membership, but to me it's a much great added improvement to have the likes of ESPN3. As a huge college football fan, I get so much more with that small monthly fee (ESPN Gameplan itself is over 100 bucks). Having a TV service doesn't really matter in comparison to the consoles either. I don't pay a subscription fee for ESPN3 on top of xbox live.

In reference to your last line, the only added $$$ spent to watch some extra tv programming is what you spend for xbox live (which I've not paid more than 29.99 a year since I got it). So for 30 bucks a year I get all the Xbox Live Gold stuff, including ESPN 3, which I can't get on my PS3. My PS3 also can't play my Rhapsody service (not without a whole lot of extra work) which my xbox also will.

So I'm not quite sure where all these extra costs you are talking about are coming from, unless your specifically speaking in general and not in relation to the consoles themselves.

post #16 of 17 Old 09-01-2012, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNPalmer View Post

During yesterday's E3 press conference for Sony, they did show an ESPN logo posted during the presentation in which Jack T. spoke about the video service partners PlayStation is or will be working with... I haven't found anything further regarding this but I did notice the logo displayed as part of the slide deck.

I would love this, because that means I can bring in another unit to stream games on to my multiple TV's.

post #17 of 17 Old 12-29-2012, 12:18 PM

What about games only broadcast on ESPN3? How does Filipinoyakuza suggest I watch these on regular ESPN?

Really?
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page