E3 2012 - Interviewing Max Schaefer, Todd Howard & Harvey Smith, your thoughts? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-30-2012, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm fortunate enough to be attend E3 next week for the 3rd year in a row and couldn't be more excited! I'll scheduled to see some really really cool games, however another reason I'm excited is because I'll be interviewing some very talented people. Most notable are these folks:

Todd Howard - Skyrim, Game Director and Executive Producer at Bethesda Game Studios
Harvey Smith - Dishonored, Lead Designer
Max Schaefer - Torchlight 1 & 2, Runic Games co-founder and CEO

It's worth mentioning I'll be getting hands-on time with Skyrim's DLC Dawnguard and Dishonored too.

Anyway, what questions should I ask them? What would you ask them? It could be about their specific games, game design, game theory, or whatever else is might be interesting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-30-2012, 07:08 AM

Liked: 832
Todd Howard Q: The console version of Skyrim has been plagued with the same legacy issues left over from FO3 & Elder scrolls, what is it about consoles and you approach that have led to those issues? What would you like to see in the next gen hardware to prevent it?
post #3 of 5 Old 05-30-2012, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Please ask Todd Howard if their next game is going to be for a current generation console, or next gen. Also, ask him if they would consider borrowing a bit from the Mass Effect dialogue system.

My ultimate game, would be Fallout 4 for Xbox Next and PS4. The game would feature a brand new game engine that would have zero relation to Gamebyro. I'm not sure if UE4 would be suitable for a huge open world game, but maybe it would ? I'd love the dialogue system to be like Mass Effect, except the character faces would use a similar technology to what L.A. Noire used. Of course, I know such a game would probably take 10 years to develop, so I should probably forget all about this idea...

Still.... Please ask Todd Howard what he thinks the future of dialogue systems are going to be like in large open world games like Skyrim and Fallout. Is it better to stick with a system that seems to be working well, or should they attempt to push the boundaries and create an all new dialogue system ?
post #4 of 5 Old 05-31-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 743
Todd Howard Q: How soon are they giving Fallout back to Black Isle?

Steam: Guts
post #5 of 5 Old 07-06-2012, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Guys! smile.gif

I interviewed Rafael Colantonio, co-creative director on Dishonored about: Non-lethal gameplay, Analog AI, Viktor Antonov, if Dishonored has multiple endings and a leveling system, targeting limbs, Neo-Victorian Steampunk, possessing a fish and sliding under tables.

Quote:
It seems to me designing the controls for a game like Dishonored would be incredibly difficult. On one hand you want to make the game accessible to those who are new to the genre and interested in the game. On the other hand you have the core audience who’ve been playing these types of games for a very long time, and you certainly don’t want them to feel like they’re making unnecessary concessions. How on Earth are you guys approaching this?

Oh that’s a very very smart and insightful question, and it lies at the heart of our challenge really. The game has a lot of depth and it’s very hardcore by nature, but at the same time we don’t want it to be inaccessible. So we’re constantly putting a lot of effort into making sure the mechanics [are playable] for anyone, without losing the depth this type of game needs. You know, depth and accessibility are not enemies. It is possible to make games that have depth and are accessible. What you don’t want is complexity. So there’s a lot of effort on our part to make the right tutorial and expose the right options to the player at all times.
So yes, to answer the question, it’s a very difficult challenge and we don’t believe we’re betraying the hardcore while bringing it to the masses.

http://eat-games.tumblr.com/post/26640168745/interview-rafael-colantonio-dishonored

Hope you like it! Worked hard on this one. smile.gif

|
|
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page