Beyond: Two Souls... another PS3 gaming suspense thriller from Quantic Dream - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 80 Old 10-08-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I'm glad I canceled my pre-order. This game is getting very mixed reviews, with an average Metacritic score of 74 (based on 49 reviews). Regardless of whether the poor reviews are justified, the fact of the matter remains, this game will fall in price quickly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 80 Old 10-08-2013, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

I'm glad I canceled my pre-order. This game is getting very mixed reviews, with an average Metacritic score of 74 (based on 49 reviews). Regardless of whether the poor reviews are justified, the fact of the matter remains, this game will fall in price quickly.

There is a demo available to try. The comments on a lowtof the low review scores are spot on for how the demo made me feel about the "game".
post #63 of 80 Old 10-08-2013, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 690
yup, after watching IGN's review i think you could just watch the cutscenes on youtube and get close to the same experience..
freemeat likes this.
post #64 of 80 Old 10-08-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

yup, after watching IGN's review i think you could just watch the cutscenes on youtube and get close to the same experience..

You'd miss out on doing some crappy QTE's "Why do i only have the option of pushing towards the guys hands and not ducking when there is room?"
post #65 of 80 Old 10-08-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 723
post #66 of 80 Old 10-09-2013, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
At times I felt the pacing was a little slow, but overall not bad. I have never played a quantic dream game before, but I sort of knew what to expect. I guess this type of game isn't for everyone, but I'm glad to see some games trying to do something different.

Some scenes in this game have really nice graphics for the ps3. There are certain moments in the game that I missed (didn't get to watch or play) because of the early decisions that I made. I had no idea that certain choices would change the ending.

I think the game is a solid 7/10.
post #67 of 80 Old 10-10-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Certain reviewers have complained about the non-linear timeline presentation in Beyond but there is a reason on why the story is done that way. This spoiler assumes you already have completed the game (at least one of the endings).
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Even before the game starts, Jodie said she's telling the memories from her experience.
At the epilogue, she said after her experience and Aiden has "left" her, all memories are mixed together. She was writing them down in case she looses her memory.

As a game, I like the non-linear style because going back into her younger timeline becomes more interesting after I have seen some of her later life. If the game is presented completely linear, I can imagine the young Jodie can get quite boring if that is all I know about her earlier memories. It also hides the gamer from knowing certain mysteries earlier in her life before the story is ready to reveal. Of course as "Hollywood" style, the game wants to get the gamer excited quicker to experience on some of the more bigger events quicker than with the more boring/slow part of the earlier life.

Now only if there's a way to have an option to replay the game in linear timeline style after the gamer already completed the game.
Correction on my last note: Once completed the game, I can replay entire game as a linear timeline.

If you like to watch the behind the scenes in how the game is made, you do need to collect the "Collectibles". Each "Collectible" you find in each chapter unlocks one of the making of the game scene. At least this gives you an incentive of finding them than just a trophy.
post #68 of 80 Old 10-10-2013, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Those who bought Gamestop Special Edition, after I installed all 9 downloads, where did the Sountrack go? I can see the Soundtrack file is at the "Game" section but once it's installed, I can't find it in Beyond game menu. It's also not in "Additional Content"->"Bonus" or "Download Content". The Soundtrack install file is only 44MB.

Same as "Making of" DLCs. Installed the one that said "Making the game features" and the other that is in French but neither appear in "Additional Content"->"Bonus" or "Download Content". I still have three "Design Pack" locked but they will be unlocked after I find the "Collectables" in three chapters that I missed.

The Soundtrack is also not in the Music in XMB. Same as the Making of not in the Movies in the XMB.

Anyone has any idea where they disappeared after installed?
post #69 of 80 Old 10-10-2013, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D View Post

Those who bought Gamestop Special Edition, after I installed all 9 downloads, where did the Sountrack go? I can see the Soundtrack file is at the "Game" section but once it's installed, I can't find it in Beyond game menu. It's also not in "Additional Content"->"Bonus" or "Download Content". The Soundtrack install file is only 44MB.

Same as "Making of" DLCs. Installed the one that said "Making the game features" and the other that is in French but neither appear in "Additional Content"->"Bonus" or "Download Content". I still have three "Design Pack" locked but they will be unlocked after I find the "Collectables" in three chapters that I missed.

The Soundtrack is also not in the Music in XMB. Same as the Making of not in the Movies in the XMB.

Anyone has any idea where they disappeared after installed?

I'm surprised you didn't find it in the XMB under "Music" for the soundtrack or "Video" for the "Making of" content. I don't have this game, but I've seen it work like that in other contexts.
post #70 of 80 Old 10-10-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

I'm surprised you didn't find it in the XMB under "Music" for the soundtrack or "Video" for the "Making of" content. I don't have this game, but I've seen it work like that in other contexts.

Do you mean you seen the Sountrack and Making of in Music and Video section in XMB? Still if the Sountrack install file first appear under Games in XMB, I would imagine it's only a data file the integrates into the game somewhere.

Anyone those who has Gamestop Special Edition of the game knows why?
post #71 of 80 Old 10-10-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you mean you seen the Sountrack and Making of in Music and Video section in XMB? Still if the Sountrack install file first appear under Games in XMB, I would imagine it's only a data file the integrates into the game somewhere.

Anyone those who has Gamestop Special Edition of the game knows why?

Just figured out. Some of the Special Edition DLCs appear inside under the Game in XMB under "Unknown" folder if you group your XMB items into folders. I have several folders created in the Game XMB and didn't see them.
post #72 of 80 Old 10-10-2013, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Discussion on the post ending choices. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
What do you think about the future vision either Jodie is alone, with the another girl from the homeless mother or just the other girl alone?

Looks like it opens to a possible sequel for Beyond (without needing Two Souls) unless both girls are together to give the title a new meaning. Even if there is to be a sequel, will the gameplay be any fun since I don't want to play another "soul" shooting game like shooters. But to make the story narrative like current Beyond: Two Souls, it's harder to see how the story can be told without enough actions. Also I'm wonder how David Cage is going to choose which "real" ending if he's to make a sequel.

Second question is how many replays such as how many chapters back do I need to unlock "All Endings... trophy"? Just by replaying the Black Sun chapter, I already seen both sides of Jodie chooses to either Beyond or Life. If Jodie chooses Life, I already seen seen four different choices or no one Jodie chooses to go with. In the Life choice, Ryan always live. In the Beyond choice, Ryan died when they tried to shut down the portal. So, is having Ryan alive or dead on the opposite Beyond or Life choices required?

Just like to hear your opinions about the endings. Which side do you think is more of a "happy" ending? For me, it's the Beyond choice even Jodie died because she gets to be with her brother and mother and still going to help the homeless mother's daughter to become the future "ghostbuster". The Life choice to stay with Ryan is just way too "Hollywood" style ending riding away with her man down the sunset. Other Life choices look too unhappy for Jodie.

Which game is easier do you think? Heavy Rain or Beyond Two Souls? I think Heavy Rain is harder especially a few scenes like driving down the opposite side of the road without making any mistake and even when the father need to know which location to go to find his son alive takes some efforts. I didn't think anything in Beyond takes any effort.
post #73 of 80 Old 10-10-2013, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

This thread is about glitches in the game that are caused errors or incorrect path in the story. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I replayed some of the chapters and found some glitches in certain chapters.

This chapter is at the desert. At the last part of the chapter after the father got injured, the two sons are trying to cover up the windows. On my first playthrough, while Jodie tried to get the items to start a fire, the sons that are covering up the windows got froze. Certain objects just floating in the air. After Jodie started the fire, the game just skipped to the end after they already stopped the entity. Their grandmother was still alive at the end of the chapter. But later in the game when Jodie has to choose if she wants to go the Beyond existance, the grandmother from the desert chapter is also there with Jodie's mother. Did the grandmother somehow died in between the chapters or is it a glitch if Jodie failed to stop the entity back in the desert chapter and the grandmother incorrectly appeared as alive at the end of the desert chapter? The reason is one of the sons cried like his grandmother died after their battle with the entity but a moment later, she appeared as alive.

Not sure if this one is another glitch. It's Jodie's mission that is snowing when she and Ryan go to the base under the water. At the very end of the chapter, after Jodie and Ryan escaped from the under water base, two chinese soldiers arrived at their ground base and saw Jodie and Ryan freezing to death. But at the next scene, Jodie is back to her home base listening to the general giving his speech about he has full control on the entities and Jodie left the meeting and talked to Ryan. What I don't understand is why the chinese soldiers who found them after destroying their under water base could rescue and return them. Keeps like a missing part of the story.
post #74 of 80 Old 10-13-2013, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Responses embedded below:
Quote:

This thread is about glitches in the game that are caused errors or incorrect path in the story. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
This chapter is at the desert. At the last part of the chapter after the father got injured, the two sons are trying to cover up the windows. On my first playthrough, while Jodie tried to get the items to start a fire, the sons that are covering up the windows got froze. Certain objects just floating in the air. After Jodie started the fire, the game just skipped to the end after they already stopped the entity. Their grandmother was still alive at the end of the chapter. But later in the game when Jodie has to choose if she wants to go the Beyond existance, the grandmother from the desert chapter is also there with Jodie's mother. Did the grandmother somehow died in between the chapters or is it a glitch if Jodie failed to stop the entity back in the desert chapter and the grandmother incorrectly appeared as alive at the end of the desert chapter? The reason is one of the sons cried like his grandmother died after their battle with the entity but a moment later, she appeared as alive.

When I played that chapter, after defeating the entity, there was a funeral scene where they bury the grandmother, so she is definitely dead after the ritual. However, when Jodie rides off on the motorcycle, the grandmother is visible with the rest of the family. I wasn't sure if this was a mistake or if it was intended to suggest that Jodie could still see her even though she was dead. (The way she sometimes saw Nathan's dead family or Stan's dead wife.)
Quote:
Not sure if this one is another glitch. It's Jodie's mission that is snowing when she and Ryan go to the base under the water. At the very end of the chapter, after Jodie and Ryan escaped from the under water base, two chinese soldiers arrived at their ground base and saw Jodie and Ryan freezing to death. But at the next scene, Jodie is back to her home base listening to the general giving his speech about he has full control on the entities and Jodie left the meeting and talked to Ryan. What I don't understand is why the chinese soldiers who found them after destroying their under water base could rescue and return them. Keeps like a missing part of the story.

I don't think those were Chinese soldiers. I think they were her teammates who were left in the base on the surface when Jodie and Ryan took the submersible; one of those teammates was Asian. Presumably they took one of the base's vehicles to conduct a search.
post #75 of 80 Old 10-13-2013, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 37
So, I've finished the game and seen two of the endings. Here are my thoughts:
Warning! Spoiler (Click to show)
I liked the first three-quarters of the game quite a bit, but the final quarter was a mess. The mission to a secret underwater base shifted the game uncomfortably into a James Bond movie. The general becomes a cartoon villain when he tells Jodie he's going to keep her permanently drugged. Nathan Dawkins going insane comes out of nowhere, and feels like something David Cage came up with at the last minute. Having the final mission involve shutting down another condenser was weak, considering that we've already shut down condensers twice in the game, most recently in the previous chapter. And where did these shield-generating belts come from? What exactly do they do?

And if you have Jodie choose life with Ryan, the endings pile on one atop of another like in the last of the Lord of the Rings movies: first you have the scene of Jodie dealing with living without Aiden; then you have the scene where he indicates he's still there; then there's the ominous vision of the future. These shouldn't be one ending; they should be different endings.

In terms of the gameplay, the mechanic of playing as Aiden is a very interesting one, and a nice departure from the Heavy-Rain-style QTEs. During certain missions, it could have enabled as wide a range of options as The Last of Us, offering a choice between stealth and combat. Alas, that level of flexibility isn't there, but I wasn't really expecting that from this game. What I would have liked, though, was an explanation as to why Aiden was available at some moments and not at others. Also, people repeatedly tell Jodie that she's the best candidate for a certain mission, but the mission turns out not to make use of Aiden at the critical points. Anyone can plant explosive charges, pull levers, and engage in hand-to-hand combat. It would have made more sense if the missions revolved around tasks that could only be completed with Aiden's special abilities.

Ellen Page's performance is terrific, and I'm going to replay the game to see what other paths exist. But I feel like Cage needs to collaborate with some other game designers. I think he has really interesting ideas about gameplay, and I like his goal of telling more emotional stories in games, but he needs a better writer.
post #76 of 80 Old 10-14-2013, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle View Post

Responses embedded below:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:

When I played that chapter, after defeating the entity, there was a funeral scene where they bury the grandmother, so she is definitely dead after the ritual. However, when Jodie rides off on the motorcycle, the grandmother is visible with the rest of the family. I wasn't sure if this was a mistake or if it was intended to suggest that Jodie could still see her even though she was dead. (The way she sometimes saw Nathan's dead family or Stan's dead wife.)

That's interesting because I have played this chapter twice. I never seen they buried the grandmother. The second time I replayed the chapter, I left the father still injured in his bed. At the end of the chapter after Jodie talked to the two sons, the father and grandmother simply appeared. Like you said, maybe only Jodie can see their spirits? If I remember correctly, the first time I played the chapter, Jodie did healed the father but at the end of the chapter, only the father and his two sons appeared when Jodie drove away. SO what happened to the grandmother's spirit?

New update:
Replayed this chapter again. Only when the father stays alive after defeated the entity and sucked it back into the portal, a new burial scene appears.

Quote:

I don't think those were Chinese soldiers. I think they were her teammates who were left in the base on the surface when Jodie and Ryan took the submersible; one of those teammates was Asian. Presumably they took one of the base's vehicles to conduct a search.
I got to replay this chapter again to see that. What you said does make more sense for the next scene.

New update:
Another playthrough did show the other buddies are from Jodie and Ryan's team. Must be my memory glitch because I still remember those two buddies appeared like chinese soldiers on my first playthrough.

post #77 of 80 Old 10-18-2013, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

In this article, Jodie can't die no matter how you let the NPCs beat her up. But what is David Cage talking about Jodie can die?
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/22/no-game-over-in-beyond-two-souls-but-jodi-can-die/

Not to say if Jodie can die along her journey because she's just remembering her past from the opening in the game, she also cannot get stuck completely. The train chapter (often shown in the trailers) has more paths than other chapters but even that chapter, Jodie still cannot get stuck no matter what you do. Even you refused to select anything on the screen in which Jodie just waits for you. The odd thing is sometimes the game will "push" the player to go certain way if not doing anything for a while.

Since Beyond is about Jodie trying to remember her past memories, directly killing her in the gameplay will not work. I played an adventure game long time ago that did it by saying, "wait, that wasn't what happened" if the gamer starts to go down the path what kills the main character. That will bring the player back to the intended path that the writer wanted the gamer to figure out where to go. But having that style in the other game will not simply "spoon feed" the player a path that always have an answer automatically which is what Beyond is doing. This method works for remembering the past memories as Jodie is doing. It's okay to make Jodie say, wait I was at this point of the memory but can't quite remember how I figure out to solve it. Here, it requires the player to help Jodie remember what she had to do to solve that segment of her memory.

I wish Beyond Two Souls have an option to really challenge the player. While I'm okay for the game to be easy for gamers who don't want real challenge in the game but having a challenge model makes the game more fun to replay. Even the training DLC from Gamestop exclusive has more challenge because if you cannot figure out the puzzles, you simply cannot go on when the timer runs out. It makes the game uneven that the little DLC requires real effort to complete.

I have been replaying Heavy Rain again. The last time I played it was 2.5 years who when the game just came out, so Heavy Rain feels quite fresh. Heavy Rain "easy" difficult has more challenges or more difficulty especially if you want the trophies than Beyond in "harder" or real gamers difficulty. Some of the Heavy Rain trophies require real challenge to unlock them. Beyond trophies all just require you to replay the chapters in different choices to unlock the trophies. No really challenge at all.

I really hope next David Cage's game will have more Heavy Rain paths that changes the story if certain characters die along the way and higher difficulty option that requires real challenge.

Having say this, I still love Beyond Two Souls.
post #78 of 80 Old 10-22-2013, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Here are the game concept arts. Very nicely drawn. There are a few arts from scene that never appeared in the game. But were they based on the scenes that got cut from the design?

http://www.cgrecord.net/2013/10/beyond-two-souls-concept-art-by.html
post #79 of 80 Old 10-25-2013, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

As anyone thought Aiden is more like a pet dog? Aiden is extremely fateful to Jodie and will never want to leave her on its own. If Jodie ever gets attacked or in danger, Aiden will protect Jodie by attacking to the attackers including killing them. Most of the time, Jodie can get Aiden to do stuff for her. On certain chapters, Aiden (by the player choice) can become more playful. When Jodie was in the CIA missions, Aiden acts more like Jodie's companion where Aiden will go and attack the enemies by Jodie's command. Later, when Aiden got separated from Jodie, he will go and find Jodie's friends to guide them back to help Jodie. When Jodie thought she has lost Aiden at close to the end, she felt like she has lost her pet dog.

Could call the game, The girl with her super natural pet.
post #80 of 80 Old 10-27-2013, 11:01 PM

Liked: 14
Beautiful game, played it once. Don't have any desire to play again. Definately a top notech rental. Not enough to make me fork over $60. Btw, it felt more like, watching a movie with occasional input.

Xbox Live: ShadyFusion23

PSN: Nukleard1sa5t0r

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Beyond Two Souls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page