Watch Dogs... Ubisoft's stylish open-world game of hacking and shoot outs - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #271 of 450 Old 05-29-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post

MAN!, you guys are making this game sound worse and worse every day. I had such high hopes for it.

@big brad is it worse than AC4?

I like it much more than AC4, but Big Brad loves AC4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 450 Old 05-29-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 86
IMHO, the graphics are not that bad. They're actually not bad at all. Was everyone expecting to see graphics similar to graphics on cutscenes?

Its a multiplat title. If it were a game made exclusively for the PS4 like inFamous was then yes, it deserves its share of criticism. I bet if word of the graphical downgrade would have never came out nobody would be criticizing the graphics for what they are.
freemeat likes this.

PSN:Lodolfan16
XBL: Lodolfan16
post #273 of 450 Old 05-29-2014, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I think it is impressive looking for the most part. The image is clean. It isn't Infamous level but it is a different type of game. I think Infamous spoiled a lot of us graphically. There is a lot more going on with Watch Dogs, but then again in Infamous you can travel the city at crazy speeds. A lot of differences in the two games.

Being able to drive cars, shoot people through glass driving their cars. Just a lot of differences in what each game has to process. Infamous has all the powers, melee fighting mechanics (I wish there was melee combat in Watch Dogs, that's a missed opportunity for a lot more fun. Good melee, not the crappy stuff GTA V provides).
post #274 of 450 Old 05-29-2014, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 178
@Epyon415 is that a joke? Haha. You know I loved ACIV outside of the damn tailing and eavesdropping crap.

The game isn't horrible, I just think a lot of us expected more. Even though I had my expectations set lower than most, as of right now they haven't been met. It may seem like I'm dogging it, but the harsh reality is that for me, the bad outweighs the good so far. I hope that isn't the case the further I get into the game.

Also, anyone notice the running and free-running animations? They look really strange, almost robotic. A Far Cry from the fluidity of movement in Assassin's Creed. (See what I did there!)

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #275 of 450 Old 05-29-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

@lodolfan Graphically, I was expecting it to be on par with Assassin's Creed IV, which had a noticeable improvement from the previous gen versions. I know they have different locales, but AC IV proved that not all cross gen games have to look like uprezzed ports on current gen consoles.

post #276 of 450 Old 05-29-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post

@Epyon415 is that a joke? Haha. You know I loved ACIV outside of the damn tailing and eavesdropping crap.

The game isn't horrible, I just think a lot of us expected more. Even though I had my expectations set lower than most, as of right now they haven't been met. It may seem like I'm dogging it, but the harsh reality is that for me, the bad outweighs the good so far. I hope that isn't the case the further I get into the game.

Also, anyone notice the running and free-running animations? They look really strange, almost robotic. A Far Cry from the fluidity of movement in Assassin's Creed. (See what I did there!)

Perhaps it hasn't met your expectations because, in your eyes, it doesn't play, feel or resemble AC4 and you were hoping that it would have?

post #277 of 450 Old 05-29-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

@lodolfan Graphically, I was expecting it to be on par with Assassin's Creed IV, which had a noticeable improvement from the previous gen versions. I know they have different locales, but AC IV proved that not all cross gen games have to look like uprezzed ports on current gen consoles.

But the gun shooting in AC IV sucks tongue.gif Traversing is much better in AC:IV.

I don't think it looks like an uprezzed port, just inconsistent. I figure it is due to the large scope/draw distances and being multi-generational (maybe the biggest factor).

Watch Dogs 2 or 3 (will be this gen and forward only probably). They might add a jump button, or the ability to go prone with a sniper rifle biggrin.gif
post #278 of 450 Old 05-29-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I wasn't expecting any of that. What I was expecting was a more polished experience considering it was delayed 6 months. I get the feeling a lot of the side stuff was thrown in with very little coherence with no explanation of the incentives for doing said side stuff.

Again this judgement is with my limited play time. Maybe it'll change the more I play it.

post #279 of 450 Old 05-29-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wasn't expecting any of that. What I was expecting was a more polished experience considering it was delayed 6 months.

Can't disagree there. With the extra time they had, it should look mind blowing.

I did play AC4 on PS4. Didn't complete the main story mission so my time with the game wasn't as in depth as yours but from what I remember the graphics were very good. Better than WD? Not sure. Can't really remember. They just both look very good to me.

post #280 of 450 Old 05-29-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
WD is super fun to me. The gunplay is really good. Silenced P11 SPec Ops is the only gun you need in the game. I've been trying to play "as the good guy" but thats almost impossible
Its basically GTA but you're supposed to be a good guy, who hacks. I skipped GTA because the violence felt over the top. This is ok.

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #281 of 450 Old 05-29-2014, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodolfan View Post

Can't disagree there. With the extra time they had, it should look mind blowing.

I did play AC4 on PS4. Didn't complete the main story mission so my time with the game wasn't as in depth as yours but from what I remember the graphics were very good. Better than WD? Not sure. Can't really remember. They just both look very good to me.

Apparently they took that extra time to make everything all about "dynamisn" or whatever they called it.

Assassin's Creed IV looked even better when they released the update that rendered the game at 1080p with better anti-aliasing. If only that were to happen with Watch Dogs. Not that resolution is the end all be all, but it might give the game a sharper look.

post #282 of 450 Old 05-29-2014, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:

Haha not at all tongue.gif.

I enjoyed AC4 way more than i thought I would, and considering you played it longer, your opinion on WD carries weight. I was hoping at a minimum the game overs the same levels of open-world activity that AC4 did, so that's what I really would like to gather from everyone. I'll still likely pick it up, but getting the feel I should wait a month or two and see if Ubisoft makes any decent updates.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #283 of 450 Old 05-29-2014, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Has anyone noticed any strange static like popping sounds while playing the game. I am not talking about the static sounds at the home screen menu which are obviously intentional I am talking about while roaming around the world. It seems like everytime a new loud sound is introduced like a person starts talking a small static pop plays out of that speaker. I am worried there is something wrong with my speakers but I have been using them for about two weeks now and haven't noticed this on any other content. So I think it is just this game, and I cant tell if it is just some sort artistic concept of the game or if something isn't working right.

post #284 of 450 Old 05-29-2014, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I haven't noticed that at all. Trying switching to another ps4 game again just to test.
post #285 of 450 Old 05-29-2014, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComponentActual View Post

Has anyone noticed any strange static like popping sounds while playing the game. I am not talking about the static sounds at the home screen menu which are obviously intentional I am talking about while roaming around the world. It seems like everytime a new loud sound is introduced like a person starts talking a small static pop plays out of that speaker. I am worried there is something wrong with my speakers but I have been using them for about two weeks now and haven't noticed this on any other content. So I think it is just this game, and I cant tell if it is just some sort artistic concept of the game or if something isn't working right.

I haven't noticed anything like that. I thought I read something a while back that said there can be popping issues when using PCM output, but it could have been in regards to something else entirely. If you're using PCM, try switching to Dolby and see if that makes a difference.

XBL: octavarium1/PSN:octavarium1970
post #286 of 450 Old 05-29-2014, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Still trying to get into the game. Played an hour last night. I think I need to finish Wolfenstein before I dive into this game anymore. I will say that the graphics are hit or miss in areas, some really good looking areas followed by PS2 era graphics.

PS2 era graphics? That's hyperbole at its best. There's nothing in this game that looks like PS2 era graphics.

PSN brakel

post #287 of 450 Old 05-29-2014, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I was up until 4 AM the other night, mainly due to the the PVP Online Hacking events. They are so addictive, and really keep the adrenaline pumping. Trailing and Hacking is a lot of fun.

If you get hacked, it comes as a complete surprise. You'll be driving around, minding your business when all of the sudden you get a notice that you've been invaded. However from their perspective, they were chasing you down on the map for up to 5 minutes. Once they profile you and initiate the download you are confined to a geographical area that will shrink while the hacking completes. The whole time the hacker will look like an average joe, until you can profile them.

I've spent so many sessions running around looking for that NPC that moves a little too suspiciously. I've won many hacks just by hiding in plain sight in a car, or literally playing hide and seek behind walls and around corners.

So while having a blast with that, I still haven't tried the racing much or figured out what the reputation can do for me yet. Seems a pseudo EXP/notoriety system. Hack the bigger fish, and get a bigger reward, but be careful because it can just as easily be taken away from you.

I don't think the graphics are bad by any means, but the physics can be a little simple at times. I raised a bridge while cruising across it, but I guess I wasn't quick enough because my hood got pined under a steel girder while the bridge was lifting me up. Instead of pinching off the front end of my car, I got spit out like a watermelon seed back about 300 yards. Jumps and other stunts always give the cars an seemingly unnatural ability to keep the rubber side pointed downward. These aren't really issues to me, but if you're expecting more sim than arcade game it could bother you.
DaverJ likes this.

Warning: I make a lot of mistakes but occasionally I learn from them!
post #288 of 450 Old 05-30-2014, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakel View Post

PS2 era graphics? That's hyperbole at its best. There's nothing in this game that looks like PS2 era graphics.

Sorry. I meant PS2 era textures. There are definitely some low resolution textures going on in certain areas. At first I thought that the textures didn't load properly, but I restarted the console and went back to the same area and it looks the same.

I played free roam with @lodolfan last night for about 30 minutes. Quite a lot of fun! The police chases are hectic, and I really like blowing up steam pipes as the cops roll over them.

I need to give the single player more of a shot. I've been in kind of a weird funk lately in terms of my gaming mood, and that can often dictate if I enjoy a game or not.

post #289 of 450 Old 05-30-2014, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I assumed

Quote:

Assassin's Creed IV looked even better when they released the update that rendered the game at 1080p with better anti-aliasing. If only that were to happen with Watch Dogs. Not that resolution is the end all be all, but it might give the game a sharper look.

What resolution is Watch Dogs rendered at on the PS4. I have been assuming that all these new PS4 games were rendered at 1080p. To me this was going to be one of the biggest pluses of these new consoles. If they are still rendering games at 720p like on the play station 3 I think I will just keep buying all my games for the PC like I did pre PS4.

I see that they don't have the little 720p/1080p box on the back of the game like they had on all the PS3 games, but in the small text below the very last line says "Video output in Ful HD 1080p requires 1080p native display." Which makes it sound like the game is rendered at 1080p, but I guess they could just be referring to cut scenes and the actual game play could be rendered at a lower rez, but I doubt it.

I don't know why I didn't just google this to begin with, but yeah no 1080p, which kind of sucks IMO. If these new consoles still can't do 1080p, I really think they have no business calling themselves next gen. More like current gen, obsolete gen. I don't know this really bugs me. 1080p displays have been out for ages now, and I can play just about any game at 1080p, 60 FPS, on my PC, and have been able to for ages now. At least this game is 900p and not 720p or 792p like on the xbox one, that would really piss me off. I guess I just had too high of expectations for what a next gen console could do. Its still a console after all and it still cost about %25-33% of what high end gaming rig costs. Hopefully future games though will be 1080p/60fps once developers get a little bit more practice coding on these platforms, and once they stop spending so much of their development resources making PS3, and 360 versions.

post #290 of 450 Old 05-30-2014, 07:17 AM
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy* View Post

WD is super fun to me. The gunplay is really good. Silenced P11 SPec Ops is the only gun you need in the game. I've been trying to play "as the good guy" but thats almost impossible
Its basically GTA but you're supposed to be a good guy, who hacks. I skipped GTA because the violence felt over the top. This is ok.

I had the opposite experience, after playing WD for a few hours on the PS4 i decided I'd rather revisit GTA 5. The funny thing is that GTA 5's graphics don't even seem like a let down by comparison. Here's hoping for a GTA 5 port to the PS4.
post #291 of 450 Old 05-30-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Assassin's Creed IV shipped at 900p as well (720p on the One), but a week later was patched to run at 1080p with better AA. Although it uses a different engine, I'd love to see that happen with Watch Dogs.

post #292 of 450 Old 05-30-2014, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 242
How do you start these trailing and hacking pvp matches? My mine says I need to complete the online contracts tutorial first but I can't find where to do that.

I did add everyone on my friends list, that has played WD, to the companion app. I thought the companion app required each person you added to then accept the request or invite but, it doesn't. You just add any PSN name to your contacts list in the app and you can see them in the game, they don't even have to be one of your PSN friends. Everyone I've seen playing shows up as unavailable though.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #293 of 450 Old 05-30-2014, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

How do you start these trailing and hacking pvp matches? My mine says I need to complete the online contracts tutorial first but I can't find where to do that.

I did add everyone on my friends list, that has played WD, to the companion app. I thought the companion app required each person you added to then accept the request or invite but, it doesn't. You just add any PSN name to your contacts list in the app and you can see them in the game, they don't even have to be one of your PSN friends. Everyone I've seen playing shows up as unavailable though.

You need to complete about 4-5 of the campaign missions before it opens up. Then you need to pull it up via your smartphone app.

Come join our adult gaming community at www.syndicatedgaming.com

XBL, PSN, and Steam: diehardcubfn
post #294 of 450 Old 05-30-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 685
how long is the SP?
post #295 of 450 Old 05-30-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Assassin's Creed IV shipped at 900p as well (720p on the One), but a week later was patched to run at 1080p with better AA. Although it uses a different engine, I'd love to see that happen with Watch Dogs.

I think the textures are pretty flat on the ground once you look beyond a few feet. Is that a result of lack of Trilinear filtering?
post #296 of 450 Old 05-30-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry. I meant PS2 era textures. There are definitely some low resolution textures going on in certain areas. At first I thought that the textures didn't load properly, but I restarted the console and went back to the same area and it looks the same.

I played free roam with @lodolfan last night for about 30 minutes. Quite a lot of fun! The police chases are hectic, and I really like blowing up steam pipes as the cops roll over them.

I need to give the single player more of a shot. I've been in kind of a weird funk lately in terms of my gaming mood, and that can often dictate if I enjoy a game or not.

Yeah that was insanely funny for the short time we played. All we did was cause mayhem in free roam but you have admit it's a blast having two or more people in a getaway car fleeing and shooting at the cops. One guy driving, the other or others shooting from the backseat, taking out their tires, blowing steampipes, etc.

I don't know how to explain it but the animation while looking behind the getaway car looks incredibly lifelike and realistic. In other words, it doesn't seem like video game graphics. More like really, really well done animations during a cutscene. Not sure if you got the same impression as me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

how long is the SP?

I've read that the main story line is about 25-30 hrs but I'm still in act one of four.

post #297 of 450 Old 05-30-2014, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I'm getting to the point where I actually look forward to someone attempting to invade my game. Last night I got the notification while walking down the street. I turned the corner into an ally and the first person I profiled was the hacker. A couple of bullets to the cranium and the whole thing was over in less than 15 seconds.
Johnny Mnemonic likes this.

PSN = ChitownJackalope

Blackhawk Down(stairs) Theater
post #298 of 450 Old 05-30-2014, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
post #299 of 450 Old 05-30-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodolfan View Post

Yeah that was insanely funny for the short time we played. All we did was cause mayhem in free roam but you have admit it's a blast having two or more people in a getaway car fleeing and shooting at the cops. One guy driving, the other or others shooting from the backseat, taking out their tires, blowing steampipes, etc.

I don't know how to explain it but the animation while looking behind the getaway car looks incredibly lifelike and realistic. In other words, it doesn't seem like video game graphics. More like really, really well done animations during a cutscene. Not sure if you got the same impression as me.
I've read that the main story line is about 25-30 hrs but I'm still in act one of four.

Sounds awesome. I hope to join you guys soon. Can you have more than 2 in one car?
post #300 of 450 Old 05-30-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

Sounds awesome. I hope to join you guys soon. Can you have more than 2 in one car?

Not really sure but I would think as long as it's a passenger vehicle with 4 doors, I wouldn't see a reason why it wouldn't.

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Watch Dogs , Watch Dogs Limited Edition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page