Watch Dogs... Ubisoft's stylish open-world game of hacking and shoot outs - Page 15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #421 of 450 Old 06-17-2014, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 386
BB has it at $42 for a trade-in this week. If you are a gamers club member add another $2.80.

I just finished the game, I enjoyed it. Only 2 tailing missions. I wish the police were better at chases though. Way to easy to lose them. Still can't complain seeing the game only cost me $5 at the end.
tampabuc likes this.

Hapi -"Lazy......cuz he's a boss like that"

mphfrom77 - "I'm an idiot."

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476721/battlefield-4/7200_100#post_24609271
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 450 Old 06-18-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 177
If I wasn't such an idiot and bought the Season Pass I'd trade it in. Then again, I'd end up having paid $8 for it in the long run (without the Season Pass). I suppose I could always pick it up on sale down the road for cheap and have some new content to play.

It not a bad game, just not a great one. It lies somewhere in the middle. Utterly atrocious voice acting though. Aiden just talks too damn much. Definitely over-written dialogue. I still can't figure out if Aiden is doing a really bad Jack Bauer impression.

Now, Thief was a terrible game. Don't get me started on The Amazing Spider-Man 2 either.

Last edited by Big Brad; 06-18-2014 at 12:55 PM.
post #423 of 450 Old 06-18-2014, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I'm done and migh trade it in, but it might be fun to have it around to compare to GTAV. I like going on rapages, but there are no cool vehicles to have fun with other than the fire truck. I also have not started the exclusive missions.

Now playing: TLoU PS4
Recently Finished: Watch Dogs, Southpark: Stick of Truth, Infamous: SS
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #424 of 450 Old 06-18-2014, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post
It not a bad game, just not a great one. It lies somewhere in the middle. Utterly atrocious voice acting though. Aiden just talks too damn much. Definitely over-written dialogue. I still can't figure out if Aiden is doing a really bad Jack Bauer impression.
To me Aiden sounds a bit like a young Willem Dafoe.

I'm enjoying the game, except for the Fixer Contracts. I like the stealthier missions, like the Gang Hideouts.
post #425 of 450 Old 06-19-2014, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I did the exclusive missions as soon as I could. The extra battery they give you is very helpful.
post #426 of 450 Old 06-19-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Two good ways to batle the cops and have rampages:

1. Ride the top of the train, start ad stop it with the hack skill. Ride away and they never catch you. Stop near a streat and make a pile up of cars and explosions and start the train again when it gets too many cops. Helicopters are easy to deal with, just snipe the sniper.

2. Jump off a bridge and land on a roof. Now start a cop battle, they can't ever reach you. Just keep throwing down explaisives and blowing up cars. Deal with the helicopters as they arrive, they can even give you sniper ammo if you kill them over the roof.

The worst part about this fun is how you run out of ammo. The easiest way to ditch the cops is jump in the water and swim to a boat.

Now playing: TLoU PS4
Recently Finished: Watch Dogs, Southpark: Stick of Truth, Infamous: SS
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #427 of 450 Old 06-22-2014, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 77
So once you beat the game, does it ever let you go back into the open world to finish off all the missions, etc? I tried to "continue" my game but it put me right back into the scene with Maurice, and the never ending credits roll.

Warning: I make a lot of mistakes but occasionally I learn from them!
post #428 of 450 Old 06-22-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mnemonic View Post
So once you beat the game, does it ever let you go back into the open world to finish off all the missions, etc? I tried to "continue" my game but it put me right back into the scene with Maurice, and the never ending credits roll.
Yes after the extremely long credits it brings you back and you can finish side missions

Hapi -"Lazy......cuz he's a boss like that"

mphfrom77 - "I'm an idiot."

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476721/battlefield-4/7200_100#post_24609271
post #429 of 450 Old 06-23-2014, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I am almost finished all the content in this game and now I am sad.

I really enjoyed it. I can look past stuff like the annoying phone convos that start up when you load, etc. Right now I wish there were more story missions, even though the story was pretty long.
post #430 of 450 Old 07-06-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 241
I've been hacking other people's games more recently, since Ubisoft has fixed there server issues, and I'm curious if anyone knows when exactly a player is notified that you are hacking their game? Some don't seem to know until I initiate the back door but, others seem to know immediately when I enter their game. I've had few that find and shoot me before I've even started any hacking.
post #431 of 450 Old 07-06-2014, 02:42 PM

Liked: 10
Well they aren't actually notified until you imitate the hack but there are some other ways of knowing that your game has been hacked. I am sometimes alerted that my game is being invaded by a short quick lag. I think the game kind of freezes or pauses for just a split second when someone enters the game. The best way though to get an early heads up if someone is invading your game is to hit the pause button. When you pause the game there is black and white outline of the game world in the background. If no one is in your game this outline will be frozen and time will stop, if someone is in your game the outline will continue and the game world will continue to play out. So if you think someone may have entered your game just hit pause to quickly check.
post #432 of 450 Old 07-06-2014, 03:03 PM

It's a dead giveaway you are invaded when you try to launch a side mission, but it's unavailable.

post #433 of 450 Old 07-06-2014, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Also, anytime you hack a Blume affiliate, a bounty gets added to you. You'll know because they'll call in to Blume and report you (it's a purple triangle thingy that pops up on the screen). After that, it's pretty much a guarantee that you'll be hacked within the next 3-5 minutes.

I did that quite a lot before trading the game in. I caught quite a few people before the could even initiate the backdoor by simply watching for anything out of the ordinary. For some reason, I liked being hacked more than I enjoyed hacking someone else's game.
post #434 of 450 Old 07-06-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 241
I didn't think of the side mission thing, that would be a give away.

I knew about the Blume thing but it is pretty easy to stop them from calling. You just approach them once they start the call and push circle, your character will shove them and they'll end the call.
post #435 of 450 Old 07-06-2014, 05:00 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Also, anytime you hack a Blume affiliate, a bounty gets added to you. You'll know because they'll call in to Blume and report you (it's a purple triangle thingy that pops up on the screen). After that, it's pretty much a guarantee that you'll be hacked within the next 3-5 minutes.

I did that quite a lot before trading the game in. I caught quite a few people before the could even initiate the backdoor by simply watching for anything out of the ordinary. For some reason, I liked being hacked more than I enjoyed hacking someone else's game.
I agree I enjoyed being hacked as well. Also spotting out of the ordinary behavior like people driving funny or parking out of the lines. I got a little over zealous a few times and blew away perfectly innocent civilians.
post #436 of 450 Old 07-07-2014, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

The best way to tell that you're being hacked is trying to use focus. It's quicker than pressing pause. Also, when someone enters your game, you put your phone away.

When someone is tailing you, you don't get a notice UNLESS you try to fast travel to one of your hideouts. Then you get their approximate location.

I like to hack Blume associates and then go hide behind the counter in a shop. The person will burst through the front door and you can immediately kill them.
post #437 of 450 Old 07-12-2014, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Just finished the game. I gotta say, it was really enjoyable. Simple things like hacking into street lights and watching traffic crash into each other from all directions gave me quite a chuckle. Loved the gang hideouts, convoys and fixer contracts.

Time now to get more into the online hacking piece. Like others, I had a blast being hacked and trying to figure where the person was, was great fun. I had a lot of fun with the puzzle solving in this game whether it be hacking or finding the QR codes.

I can't wait for what the second installment has to offer.
post #438 of 450 Old 07-14-2014, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Still loving this game. But I tried to get creative on The Palace mission, to see what the AI would do. Enclosing in spoiler tags if you haven't played this one yet.

Once I did the hack, I had a fair amount of trouble catching SoSueMe and/or dying.

1. Tried blocking the gate with the vehicles in the driveway. Nope, he made it through.
2. Tried destroying all the vehicles with the grenade launcher. You can destroy all but his car. (Nor can you enter his car)
3. Used the pickup truck to push his car onto the train tracks. This almost worked, as he was just standing in the driveway, shooting at me. Took him out, but then the game didn't recognize that he was actually dead.
4. Lined the mid part of the driveway with the proximity IEDs. Not sure if they exploded, but it didn't take him out.

Finally I had to do it the way the game wanted. Here's hoping they make some AI improvements in the next one!

post #439 of 450 Old 07-14-2014, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
To be honest, we do not get what we promised on PS4, especially for Graphic.
The game plays fun but the graphic failed the next-gen.
post #440 of 450 Old 07-15-2014, 12:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerkit View Post
Still loving this game. But I tried to get creative on The Palace mission, to see what the AI would do. Enclosing in spoiler tags if you haven't played this one yet.

Once I did the hack, I had a fair amount of trouble catching SoSueMe and/or dying.

1. Tried blocking the gate with the vehicles in the driveway. Nope, he made it through.
2. Tried destroying all the vehicles with the grenade launcher. You can destroy all but his car. (Nor can you enter his car)
3. Used the pickup truck to push his car onto the train tracks. This almost worked, as he was just standing in the driveway, shooting at me. Took him out, but then the game didn't recognize that he was actually dead.
4. Lined the mid part of the driveway with the proximity IEDs. Not sure if they exploded, but it didn't take him out.

Finally I had to do it the way the game wanted. Here's hoping they make some AI improvements in the next one!

Yeah, I tired your #4 as well. I wouldn't say it's an AI issue, it's that the designers don't want you using advance knowledge of what the target is going to do, so nothing you do prior to the hack is retained.
post #441 of 450 Old 07-15-2014, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle View Post
Yeah, I tired your #4 as well. I wouldn't say it's an AI issue, it's that the designers don't want you using advance knowledge of what the target is going to do, so nothing you do prior to the hack is retained.
Well - #2 and #3 were retained, even in the cutscene just before the next part starts.

You can see the damage done to his car, a few grenades blows the doors off and that's still visible. Also, when I pushed his car out of the driveway and onto the tracks, it's still on the tracks and even marked on the map. But he never goes anywhere since there was no car to enter. I guess in that sense the AI is ok, as the car was far away enough that he couldn't see it, but killing him is never detected. So that does indicate that the designers intended for him to be killed during the chase.

I actually ended up moving one of the performance cars closer to the gate. Once the hack is done I jumped on the motorcycle, took it to the gate, and got in the car.

post #442 of 450 Old 07-15-2014, 11:21 AM

As long as you can get on the bike quick enough to catch up, then using road hazards will bring him down easily.
post #443 of 450 Old 07-15-2014, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mnemonic View Post
As long as you can get on the bike quick enough to catch up, then using road hazards will bring him down easily.
That's the key right there. Took me two tries before I even noticed the bike and then a couple more before I could get my timing down. Gotta love being in panic mode.
post #444 of 450 Old 07-17-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
If I wasn't such an idiot and bought the Season Pass I'd trade it in. Then again, I'd end up having paid $8 for it in the long run (without the Season Pass). I suppose I could always pick it up on sale down the road for cheap and have some new content to play.

Now, Thief was a terrible game. Don't get me started on The Amazing Spider-Man 2 either.
I'm in the same boat.
I probably would trade it in if I didn't purchase the season pass.
Kudos to Ubisoft for getting me to buy it. By adding all the preorder bonus items, I jumped on it.
I do love the game, I just wish they added to the replayability by either a new game+ or replaying missions and/or gang hideouts.
I am basically down to my final 4-5 Fixer car missions.
And Ubisoft, not even a mention of the T-Bone DLC? What are you waiting for? An extra 6 months wasn't enough?
------------------
Wait, just saw your more recent post,you traded it in???
So you are just going to eat the $20 SP?

Last edited by Doug Schiller; 07-17-2014 at 11:51 AM.
post #445 of 450 Old 07-17-2014, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

I think $60 is a reasonable price for a game like this. I'm not sure how many hours I put into this game, but at least 30 (I didn't do the Fixer missions because I found them too frustrating). That's $2/hr, or about the same cost as renting a video. I think that's good value for the money, especially given that this is a brand new game. Think about how much going to see a new movie in the theaters costs, on an hourly basis.

Sure, some games offer more hours of gaming, but not every game needs to be an 80 or 100 hour experience. I used to think games were expensive, but when I consider how much I get out of them, I figure they're actually quite reasonable. And considering how much effort goes into making a game like this, I don't begrudge anyone the $60 I paid.
post #446 of 450 Old 07-17-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle View Post
I think $60 is a reasonable price for a game like this. I'm not sure how many hours I put into this game, but at least 30 (I didn't do the Fixer missions because I found them too frustrating). That's $2/hr, or about the same cost as renting a video. I think that's good value for the money, especially given that this is a brand new game. Think about how much going to see a new movie in the theaters costs, on an hourly basis.

Sure, some games offer more hours of gaming, but not every game needs to be an 80 or 100 hour experience. I used to think games were expensive, but when I consider how much I get out of them, I figure they're actually quite reasonable. And considering how much effort goes into making a game like this, I don't begrudge anyone the $60 I paid.
If you have a Uplay account, you can check your hours at http://watchdogs.ubi.com/watchdogs/en-us/being-watched/index.aspx ..

I must be incredibly slow at games. I'm 30 hours in and am still in Act II. Can't recall the exact percentage but I think it's less than 40%. Granted my typical approach is to do lots of side missions before focusing on the campaign. I'm with you on the hours played vs dollars spent. I guess Skyrim would be my most valuable, I think I ran out of things to do at 300-something hours. If only every game was that long.
post #447 of 450 Old 07-17-2014, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

I never registered for a Uplay account, but I figure my estimate of hours spent is quite conservative. I finished pretty much everything else in the game aside from the Fixer missions and one Convoy mission that never appeared. I tried to mix things up, doing a few side activities in between each campaign mission; I wound up finishing the Gang Hideouts first, though, because I enjoyed those the most.
post #448 of 450 Old 07-17-2014, 08:03 PM

Yeah, gang hideouts are awesome. I'm wondering if they will annualize this game, like Assassins Creed. I bought GTAV on the PS3, but didn't finish it. (Not because of the game, but more because I got spoiled by the DS4) I keep thinking they delayed Watch Dogs because not because it "wasn't fun" as they declared, but that GTA was too much competition.

I like the WD themes better than GTA - hacking, stopping crimes - essentially playing the "bad good guy" role. (Please don't spoil story for me if different) However the depth/variety of GTA can't be ignored. Be it flying a jet across the map, cop activity, mini games.. Ah well, competition is good.
post #449 of 450 Old 07-17-2014, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, the reason I haven't tried GTA V is because I prefer the fantasy of being someone who stops crimes instead of someone who commits them.

(I recommend Sleeping Dogs as another open-world game where you play a "bad good guy," an undercover cop).
post #450 of 450 Old 07-19-2014, 10:02 AM

Interesting, I spent 36 hours in my game, and others have spent over 2 hours in my game!

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Watch Dogs , Watch Dogs Limited Edition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page