Watch Dogs... Ubisoft's stylish open-world game of hacking and shoot outs - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #181 of 452 Old 05-10-2014, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post

Exactly. I found that article on Dualshockers as well. I don't really like the writers in that site but felt it was worth posting.

Oddly enough, Dualshockers had some of the better Wii U coverage prior to launch.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 452 Old 05-11-2014, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Looks good except for the giant spider non-sense.
post #183 of 452 Old 05-11-2014, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb5f View Post

Looks good except for the giant spider non-sense.

Which is side stuff apparently, so you don't have to play it if you don't want to.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #184 of 452 Old 05-12-2014, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 79
post #185 of 452 Old 05-13-2014, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

So apparently, Sony removed the "runs at 1080p and 60 frames per second" from the Watch Dogs page per Ubisoft. Hmmm, interesting.

post #186 of 452 Old 05-13-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 102

Modern gaming and promotion run amok. The only parts of that entire chart that actually add to the story are only available as part of the season pass, or the PSN digital "more expensive" edition. The rest are skins or early access to weapons you can get by playing the game anyway. Not sure if this excites your customers or makes them angry. I'm thinking more the angry side.
Quote:

So apparently, Sony removed the "runs at 1080p and 60 frames per second" from the Watch Dogs page per Ubisoft. Hmmm, interesting.

Ubisoft has to pull that kind of language down if they can't guarantee it. Laws for software in EU are strict against any false advertising or claims. Wish they were a little more strict in the USA.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #187 of 452 Old 05-13-2014, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 591
From the article:
Quote:
900p on PS4 and 792p on Xbox One, at 30 frames-per-second on both

http://blog.ubi.com/watch-dogs-next-gen-game-resolution-dynamism/
Quote:
What Makes Watch Dogs a True Next-Gen Game

Features by Gary Steinman | Communications Manager | on May 13, 2014 | 0 comments | in Watch Dogs

Aiden Pearce is crouched behind cover in a dark alley. From the safety of his vantage point, he spots two guards directly in his path. He then hacks his way from one rooftop security camera to another, spotting several more. At this point, Aiden has a multitude of options. Perhaps he’ll hack into a fuse box, setting off an explosion that’ll kill one guard and draw several others away from their spots. Or maybe he’ll distract the first guard by setting off a car alarm, sneak past him, then distract the next by remotely opening a garage door. Maybe he’ll open fire with a machine gun, mowing down all his foes aggressively and with prejudice. Or, he could hack into one guard’s earpiece to trigger a head-staggering burst of sound, then hack another guard’s phone to stop him from calling for backup. All these options – and more – are available for players.

Welcome to Watch Dogs, a true next-gen gaming experience in which every choice is up to you.

In development for six years, Watch Dogs was started long before the next-gen arrived, and years before the team at Ubisoft Montreal had any clear insight into the exact specs they’d find in the PlayStation 4, Xbox 360 and present-day PCs. Yet Watch Dogs was designed from the very start to be a next-gen experience, regardless of the technology.

How so? “We focused on what kind of experience players want to play next,” says Creative Director Jonathan Morin. “That’s more important for me than defining what technology can do.”

Fast-forward to today, and we’re a few weeks from the May 27 release of Watch Dogs. The game will be available on both console generations, yet Morin is confident it’ll deliver a unique experience that speaks to the notion of next-generation gaming – regardless of what platform you play it on. Here’s why…
Play In Your World

“The next generation of gameplay is any form of entertainment and interaction that will bring your brain to a place it’s never been,” Morin says. Indeed, that was one of the early goals in Watch Dogs’ development: to create an experience in which players can interact in completely new ways.

The key to success: dynamism. Players had to feel like they could truly influence the world around them. This goal came to life through Aiden’s hacking abilities, along with Watch Dogs’ contemporary urban setting of Chicago: an open-world city where everything is hyper-connected – but there are flaws in the system, allowing savvy operators to interact with their environment in new ways.

But simply offering the newly created game mechanic isn’t enough. “It’s one thing to invent something like hacking in an open city, and another to make sure it’s done in such a way that when you’re in a stealth situation or a combat situation or a car chase situation – even though you understand driving, shooting, reloading and all of those things – you start feeling like every traffic light around you is a valid solution,” Morin says. “Every fuse box you can use in combat will help you turn the tide. All those elements come together so that when the player puts the controller down he or she can say, I really like this. And when they pick up the controller to play another game, they try to hack the traffic lights, but that option’s not there anymore.”
Express Yourself

And that’s what hacking is ultimately about: real choices with real consequences. As Morin says, hacking isn’t a switch that you turn on and off, like when other games go from pure stealth to all-out action. Hacking allows players to influence their world – to move from stealth to action to driving and back again, in any way they choose. The world around Aiden will react accordingly, and new choices will emerge. Every action causes an appropriate reaction, and the player can’t help but be further immersed in Watch Dogs’ Chicago because their choices matter.

“Players can express themselves,” Morin says. “The big challenge is to make sure the game responds to their plan.” In other words, if a plan makes sense, it should work. And if the player makes a “mistake” along the way, he can improvise and the game should respond accordingly.

For example, if you blow up a guy while hidden in a dark corner, no one will have any idea that you’re there. If you destroy a fuse box, it will look like an accident. If you hack into an explosive that an enemy is carrying and he starts freaking out trying to get the bomb off and it kills his friend, he won’t turn around and say, There’s the player! “That would feel wrong because you were playing well,” Morin says. ‘Players can express themselves. The big challenge is to make sure the game responds to their plan.’ “The game shouldn’t do that.” Instead, enemies will behave appropriately: they’ll get stressed; they’ll group up and start searching for clues; they’ll get frustrated and angry at objects (instead of you) because they assume they’re broken.

“That was tough to do because there’s really no reference for it,” says Morin. “But it creates a new layer of gameplay where you can mess around with AI. That’s one of the things that feels completely different about the game compared to what I’ve played before.”

And therein lies the heart of the next-gen experience in Watch Dogs. It’s about player agency. It’s about action and consequences. It’s about choice. It’s about a dynamic and ever-changing world that’s a full simulation, with NPCs who react appropriately in a city that demonstrates a full range of weather, time, density and naturally occurring situations. (For more on the citizens of Chicago, check out: Watch Dogs – Animating a Next-Gen City.) Then you layer in Watch Dogs’ innovative approach to seamless online gameplay that smoothly blends a range of multiplayer experiences without disrupting the single-player experience, and you have a next-gen game regardless of which system you play it on.
Across Generations

Yes, Watch Dogs is coming May 27, 2014, to both generations of consoles and, yes, the game is almost exactly the same. The single-player experience is largely untouched, aside from the density of Chicago – there’ll be fewer NPCs in some areas, but not in a way that affects the core gameplay. The seamless online is also intact, as that’s “part of the essence of the game,” Morin says. The only missing modes on PS3 and Xbox 360 are the Decryption competitive multiplayer mode and the ability to free roam with multiple players (which Morin describes as more of a “bonus” than a core gameplay experience). But all the other online modes are fully intact

The game also looks great on both generations of consoles. On new-gen systems the game will run at 900p on PS4 and 792p on Xbox One, at 30 frames-per-second on both consoles. While some new-gen games now offer native 1080p, Morin says it’s much more important to deliver an amazing next-gen experience than it is to push a few more pixels onto a screen. “Resolution is a number, just like framerate is a number. All those numbers are valid aspects of making games,” he says. “But you make choices about the experience you want to deliver. In our case, dynamism is everything. Exploration and expression are everything. You want to have a steady framerate, but you want to have dynamism at the core of the experience. The same goes with resolution. People tend to look at corridor shooters, for example, where there’s a corridor and all the effects are on and it’s unbelievable, and they forget that if you apply those same global effects to an open city with people around and potential car crashes and guys in multiplayer showing up without warning, the same effect is applied to a lot of dynamic elements that are happening in every frame. So it becomes magnified in cost.”

Which, naturally raises the question: why not focus on increasing the resolution during the game’s recent delay? Because, Morin says, that was never the goal. Instead, that extra time was spent ensuring the team could fully realize their vision for Watch Dogs, polishing all aspects of the gameplay and making sure hacking is fully integrated into every system. (For more, see: Why Was Watch Dogs Delayed?) “The effort was split on continuing dynamism and making sure players can express themselves through hacking without ever being disappointed in how the game responds to them, whether it’s visually or through gameplay,” Morin says. “That’s important. Resolution has nothing to do with that. That’s why stuff like resolution can scale a bit down so that we never compromise the soul of Watch Dogs.”

And now, with Watch Dogs just a few weeks from release, Morin is confident the team at Ubisoft Montreal will deliver a true next-gen experience. “From a gameplay standpoint and an experience standpoint, the player is living something brand new,” he promises. “That’s how we proceeded with Watch Dogs. That’s why everything is connected. That’s why there’s seamless multiplayer. That’s why there are Digital Trips, which are like a way for the player to get a break from the serious tone. It’s an experience that surprises you at every level. Then, slowly but surely, through those surprises the players start changing the way they express themselves in a game.”

For more on the Watch Dogs next-gen experience, check out these UbiBlog features:

Watch Dogs – 35 Highlights From Four Hours of Gameplay

Watch Dogs – Animating a Next-Gen City

Watch Dogs – Multiplayer Guide
post #188 of 452 Old 05-13-2014, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Given the delay, that's disappointing if not almost unacceptable. Then again, Battlefield 4 looks great at 900p.

post #189 of 452 Old 05-13-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 609
I'm sure 900/30fps will still look pretty good, but I was hoping for 60fps. Might have to go PC with this one.
post #190 of 452 Old 05-13-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I'm sure 900/30fps will still look pretty good, but I was hoping for 60fps. Might have to go PC with this one.

The more I think about it, the closer I get to building a PC. I've been planning to for quite some time (for 4K video editing and 3D animation) and I'm seriously thinking that there is no reason that the machine couldn't pull double duty. I need to do a bit more research into video cards although I think I'm limited to only NVidia cards due to some editing programs I use that rely on CUDA cores for real-time playback with effects/filters.

post #191 of 452 Old 05-13-2014, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Given the delay, that's disappointing if not almost unacceptable. Then again, Battlefield 4 looks great at 900p.

900p 60fps for BF4, right? 1080p 30fps for AC: Black Flag. All different types of games. I hope the gunplay is a lot of fun, mixed in with the driving as well. The part of GTA games that ruins it for me is the core melee and gun play just isn't good (for some reason the actual gameplay gets a pass when the games are reviewed).
post #192 of 452 Old 05-13-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

The controls in general in GTA are horrible. I understand what they were going for (more realistic movement) but that doesn't mean I have to like it. It just doesn't make the game fun to play at all.

post #193 of 452 Old 05-13-2014, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The controls in general in GTA are horrible. I understand what they were going for (more realistic movement) but that doesn't mean I have to like it. It just doesn't make the game fun to play at all.

Lets hope that isn't the case with Watch Dogs, it certainly looks like it is better from the videos (Better than GTA IV/V isn't saying a lot though). Put in great gunplay and melee in GTA V and it would so much better. They certainly nailed lighting and environment.
post #194 of 452 Old 05-13-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

post #195 of 452 Old 05-13-2014, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
And this is a pass. Will wait for plus freebie.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #196 of 452 Old 05-13-2014, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Ubisoft and PC gaming often leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Both AC: Revelations and Splinter Cell had random crashing issues on top of the unnecessary installation and proxy launching of Uplay. Still not understanding why devs cant hit 1080p on this, is there so much on screen that performance is going to take a huge hit with more pixels? Has the PC version been stated to run 1080p?

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #197 of 452 Old 05-13-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 1464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post

Ubisoft and PC gaming often leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Both AC: Revelations and Splinter Cell had random crashing issues on top of the unnecessary installation and proxy launching of Uplay. Still not understanding why devs cant hit 1080p on this, is there so much on screen that performance is going to take a huge hit with more pixels? Has the PC version been stated to run 1080p?

It goes without saying that the PC version will run at whatever resolution or frame rate your rig can support.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #198 of 452 Old 05-14-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
It's looking more and more like I'll probably end up getting the PC version. Both console versions are pretty underwhelming at this point. It seems they really are turning into exclusives machines. I see no reason to buy 3rd party games on either system just to support my purchase when I can have a superior PC version. MS and Sony need to start pumping out the console exclusives.
DaverJ likes this.
post #199 of 452 Old 05-14-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 259
I understand what you are saying but, hasn't the PC versions always looked better? This is nothing new for this generation, it should not come as a shock to folks that the PC version continue to outpace the console versions. Always have and always will.

I don't know but maybe my perspective is just different from yours since I've never been a PC gamer. I've been 100% consoles ever since they hit the market. I just have no interest in PC gaming, I love consoles. This is also why the 30 vs 60 fps argument doesn't move my needle, I'm so use to 30 fps that it just doesn't matter to me as long as the game is fun. Yes, I see the benefits of 60 but 30 fps is completely playable IMO. I'll be honest though, I am a little disappointed that 1080p isn't the default standard so far, I thought the power of the PS4 would make this pretty easy for devs to hit. 720p was fine last gen, I only had a 720p TV for the first half of the cycle anyway but, less then 1080p this gen is getting annoying. At least it is not as bad as it is for Xbox One owners.

With all that said, what is the reason for these short falls (1080p and 60fps)? Is it a lack of power in the PS4, rushed development or just lazy development (lazy may be a little harsh, let's say not wanting to spend the time to optimize for those benchmarks)?
Smigro likes this.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #200 of 452 Old 05-14-2014, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

RE: 900p vs 1080p, considering that AC4 launched at 900p on PS4 I wouldn't be shocked if Ubisoft has a patch pending to bump up the resolution. This new resolutiongate might just be them calming the waters a bit to avoid any "problems" from the console makers...

YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #201 of 452 Old 05-14-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 1464
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

I understand what you are saying but, hasn't the PC versions always looked better? This is nothing new for this generation, it should not come as a shock to folks that the PC version continue to outpace the console versions. Always have and always will.

I don't know but maybe my perspective is just different from yours since I've never been a PC gamer. I've been 100% consoles ever since they hit the market. I just have no interest in PC gaming, I love consoles. This is also why the 30 vs 60 fps argument doesn't move my needle, I'm so use to 30 fps that it just doesn't matter to me as long as the game is fun. Yes, I see the benefits of 60 but 30 fps is completely playable IMO. I'll be honest though, I am a little disappointed that 1080p isn't the default standard so far, I thought the power of the PS4 would make this pretty easy for devs to hit. 720p was fine last gen, I only had a 720p TV for the first half of the cycle anyway but, less then 1080p this gen is getting annoying. At least it is not as bad as it is for Xbox One owners.

With all that said, what is the reason for these short falls (1080p and 60fps)? Is it a lack of power in the PS4, rushed development or just lazy development (lazy may be a little harsh, let's say not wanting to spend the time to optimize for those benchmarks)?

Its a design choice to sacrifice resolution and frame rate, mostly in service of making each frame prettier. If they wanted it to run in 1080p/60 they'd have to dial back a lot of that stuff.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #202 of 452 Old 05-14-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Its a design choice to sacrifice resolution and frame rate, mostly in service of making each frame prettier. If they wanted it to run in 1080p/60 they'd have to dial back a lot of that stuff.

Yup, hence why last gen games could be 1080p if wanted. All games could be 1080p 60fps this gen, they'd just have to change aspects of them.
post #203 of 452 Old 05-18-2014, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Leaked gameplay looks awesome. It's been a long wait, but we may finally get a worthy sequel to GTA IV after all.

500 gigs FTW.
post #204 of 452 Old 05-18-2014, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

But GTA IV was terrible.

Some 1080p gameplay footage: http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/05/18/more-watch_dogs-ps4-footage-emerges-this-time-in-full-hd/. I chose to download the 500MB file. Looks pretty nice on my plasma.
Smigro and freemeat like this.

post #205 of 452 Old 05-19-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Downloaded those videos as well, the rain effects look really good.

I think this game is going to be a lot of fun and I can't wait to play it.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #206 of 452 Old 05-22-2014, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
It's not going to ruin the game for me but it makes me cringe every time I see mountains or large hills in the background from the city. The city of Chicago and the surrounding area is mathematically flat. I always joke that civil engineers come to Chicago to calibrate their equipment. You can't even see any hills of any significance from the observation decks of the largest buildings in the city. The northwest corner of Illinois has the tallest terrain and also the highest elevation in Illinois. But it's about 200 miles from Chicago to that hilly area of Illinois.

It seems like they've captured the look and feel of Chicago so well that seeing mountains from the city stands out as being very wrong. biggrin.gif

PSN brakel

post #207 of 452 Old 05-22-2014, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Watch Conan O'Brian play Watch Dogs...

http://teamcoco.com/video/clueless-gamer-watchdogs

That poor lady in her house coat on a speed boat! tongue.gif
freemeat likes this.

Warning: I make a lot of mistakes but occasionally I learn from them!
post #208 of 452 Old 05-23-2014, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:

But GTA IV was terrible.

Some 1080p gameplay footage: http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/05/18/more-watch_dogs-ps4-footage-emerges-this-time-in-full-hd/. I chose to download the 500MB file. Looks pretty nice on my plasma.

Wow, that was a good looking video, can't wait to get this next week. Just got $160 from Target for trading in TLoU, TF, KZ:SF and AC4 and will be getting this launch day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brakel View Post

It's not going to ruin the game for me but it makes me cringe every time I see mountains or large hills in the background from the city. The city of Chicago and the surrounding area is mathematically flat. I always joke that civil engineers come to Chicago to calibrate their equipment. You can't even see any hills of any significance from the observation decks of the largest buildings in the city. The northwest corner of Illinois has the tallest terrain and also the highest elevation in Illinois. But it's about 200 miles from Chicago to that hilly area of Illinois.

It seems like they've captured the look and feel of Chicago so well that seeing mountains from the city is stands out as being very wrong. biggrin.gif

One of my BF buddies who live in the burbs said the same thing...it does suck but I can live with it.
post #209 of 452 Old 05-23-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I'm hoping it doesn't suck. I'll be picking it up on Tuesday but don't know if I'll have much of a chance to play it before the weekend.

post #210 of 452 Old 05-23-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Gamestop is "discounting" 1 yr PS+ with combo purchase of WD, bundle is $108 incase anyone needs more PS+,

I honestly am a bit more exciting for the companion app than for the actual game, lol!!!

YouTube Gameplay Videos
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Watch Dogs , Watch Dogs Limited Edition