AVS Forum banner

PS3: "Ethernet Cable is not connected" random error

39K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Dan136 
#1 ·
Well, this started happening a couple of months ago, either gaming online (Marvel Pinball!) or even streaming shows. D-LINK 615 router setup with DMZ and fixed IPs for all wired & wifi devices in the house. PS3 has a long run of CAT-5 from the router for obvious reasons. recently I started getting the odd, random "Ethernet Cable is not connected" error, coinciding with getting kicked out of an online game or losing my place in a show or movie. It hasn't gone away so I started a little research last night. it seems it is not an uncommon phenomenon, but because everyone starts their own threads about it, they are getting the generic "guess" answer, ie, you need a new router or cat-5 cable. Funny, because the rest of their devices work well with the same equipment and others reported borrowing a new cable or router with the same results. THIS IS the thing we need to think about: The PS3 connects fine on startup, and after a period of time, spontaneously disconnects. The wire is not 'mechanical' in the sense, it hasn't moved; same goes for the router. So why would it disconnect randomly, the immediately "re-connect" ??

Last night, after getting the error again, I reached back and noticed the air exhaust (hot) is right beside the ethernet jack and that the cable was in fact very warm. There seems to be a little bit of play in the jack itself, so I am thinking the play, combined with the heat which changes the size/shape of plastic and metal, is enough to cause a temporary disconnect. As i was reaching back there and fiddling with the ethernet cable, i noticed on the TV i got several "Ethernet Cable is not connected" errors. I bent the cable away from the exhaust fan (to the back-right of PS3) and under it (to hold it in place) and never got another error for the duration of my show. Earlier, I got the error after about 2 minutes.

I am not saying this is the fix-all solution, but rather, it is A solution to A problem. Yours may or may not be the same. After you have verified your cable has no problems, and your router is fine, and you turn off other P2P softwares (uTorrent, etc) and your network setup is correct (IPs, etc), check out some other solutions I found online that may also work for you:

=====================================

Disable the Media Server. This was not an option for me since i stream from my desktop, which REQUIRES media server to be enabled!

Quote:
I had this error "An Ethernet Cable is not connected" frequently. I tried every solution and finally stumbled on one that worked for me. I changed the DNS settings in my router. I was using the default DNS from my ISP (Comcast). I changed it to Level3's free DNS servers. 4.2.2.1, 4.2.2.2 and it fixed the problem for me. I also tried a few other free DNS servers and it also worked. You could also just change the DNS severs for the PS3 in Network settings but I prefer my router to handle DNS as it is easier to troubleshoot.

I guess my ISP's DNS was causing PSN to lose connection to it's servers. I don't know maybe my router has some DNS cache that was cleared by changing this setting. I don't think that was it because I even hard reset my router and no fix.

If you're looking for some good DNS servers in your area there is a free program from Steve Gibson called DNS Benchmark that will help you find the best availible to you: http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm I've used his programs for years and know him to be trustworthy and his software to be safe.

Quote:
Try changing the DNS servers in your PS3 Internet settings from Auto to the OpenDNS servers.

Some ISP's have had issues with DNS registration of the PSN sever network recently using these fixed PSN disconnects for a lot of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusterBuster 

How to put your PS3 into a DMZ

Hello!

You're most likely here because you've thrown something out of your window in frustration at being randomly booted from an epic game of Modern Warfare 2. It's no fun, we know. But we're here to help you out...

Most problems like this can be resolved by placing your PlayStation 3 Console in a De-Militarised Zone (or DMZ). This means that your router will not block any internet traffic to your console, leaving you free to breathe the open air of MW2 multiplayer goodness. Ahhh....

Placing your console in a DMZ is not a difficult thing to do, but you will need to set aside half an hour to get to grips with the process - and you'll need administrator access to your router.

First things first, turn on your console and go to Settings > Network Settings.

From here, you can change all the bits and gubbins which help your PS3 connect to the internet.

You will need to give your PS3 a static IP address. IP addresses are like street addresses, only for your internet network. A static IP address will ensure that your router always knows where it can find your PS3.

To do this, first you'll need to go to the Settings and Connection Status List and make a note of 2 numbers:

1. The 'IP Address'

2. The 'Default Router'

Once you've got these, back out of this menu and go to the Internet Connection Settings menu. From here, follow these steps:

1. Select 'Custom'

2. Select the type of connection your using (If your PS3 is plugged in to the router, select 'Wired', if not you're using a wireless connection, select that intead.)

3. If you selected wireless, set up your connection as normal untill you get to the IP Address menu.

4. If you selected wired, select 'Auto-Detect' at the next screen and continue to the IP Address menu.

5. At the IP Address menu, select 'Manual'.

Remember those numbers you marked down earlier? Here's why you noted them!

You'll now see a screen with 5 options:

IP Address

Here, you need to input the number you noted down earlier. However, you should change the last group of 3 digits to something else. Your safest bet is to increase this number by 50 and use that. So, if the IP address you noted earlier was 192.168.0.50 then your new IP address would be 192.168.0.100

Note that the numbers here only go up to 255, so use that as a maximum if you need to. Be sure to ONLY change the last group of numbers! Make a note of the number you decided to go with.

Subnet Mask

This is almost always 255.255.255.0, don't change this unless you have a specific reason to do so.

Default Router

The second of the numbers you wrote down, all you need to do here is input the IP address of your router.

Primary DNS

This bit is super easy. Remember the number you placed in 'Default Router'? Whack it in here again!

Secondary DNS

You don't need anything at all here, unless you have a specific reason to input a Secondary DNS.

Once you're done here, make sure to make a note of the IP address you entered at this menu and hit right on the d-pad to advance.

6. For MTU - select Automatic

7. Do not use a proxy server, unless you have a specific reason to use one!

8. UPnP - it's usually a good idea to enable this, but if you have voice comms trouble after using this guide, try disabling it.

9. Review the settings and test the connection!

Now, don't panic. Your PS3 may scream at you that it cant connect to PSN. In the words of Revolver Ocelot, "We're not finished yet!"

Your next task is to log on to your router as an administrator. Check your router's manual for details on how to do this (alternatively, google is your friend).

Somewhere in the plethora of settings and techy bits that make up your router's menu will be an option to assign a 'DMZ'. I cant point you directly to this since every router differs, your best bet is that good ole' friend google.

Once you find it, you'll be asked to input an IP address for your DMZ. Here, you need to put in the IP address you gave your PS3 earlier, the one you noted down after step 5 of this guide. Once you've done that, save your settings, wait for your router to sort itself out, then dance a bit - you're nearly done.

Troop over to your PS3 and go back into Network Settings. From here, select Internet Connection Test. If all has gone swimmingly, your test will be successful and your NAT Type will read '2'. Hurrah! Your console is demilitarised and has nothing to fear from aerial bombings* or multiplayer connection troubles.

If it fails, something has gone horribly wrong. Maybe terrorists intercepted your traffic and changed an IP address whilst you weren't looking, or maybe you forgot something. Fear not - post in this thread with the results of your internet connection test and our lovely community will do their best to help you out.

Enjoy!

MusterBuster.

See less See more
#3 ·

Fantastic post, I have spent hours struggling with this exact problem, and still haven't solved it. I thought I was going insane after noticing that the connection lasted longer after I blasted the ps3 with canned air. I have worked with 2 ps3's with this exact problem and heard of a third. I am now going to try more things related to heat and post what I find. 

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.