Red Light of Death. How I hate SONY - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 06-16-2012, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Leonardo4222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is my second RLOD and Im almost crying, I'm pissed and I'm disapointet to SONY. The warranty has just gone out when light comes... 2 times! coincidence? SONY is cheating our money. My first PS3 was silent but the second one make noise when I was watching movies!mad.gif SONY... this is for you: Go to HELL. I'm considering buying Xbox. I know It's not that great but it has alot of same games and it doesnt make noise and its faster.
It feels a Nightmare when RLOD comes. I was speaking to my friend when PS shutted down. SONY is taking our money. My PS3 were purchased at 2008(first one) and second one two years after. Only reason not to buy Xbox is becose of Uncharted, God of War and all other exclusive games and all the games I already have.
Leonardo4222 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 Old 06-16-2012, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
Notsobright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 697
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
im still on my original fat 60gb ps3 dude. i dont feel cheated by sony. its a great product.
Notsobright is offline  
post #3 of 31 Old 06-16-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Chairman7w's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Sorry man, that's a tough break.

But stuff breaks dude. That's the reality of the situation. Xboxes, too. And cars, and electric guitars, and cameras... It's just life. It still sucks though, I agree.

My recommendation: Keep plenty of $$$ in savings (to replace stuff when it breaks), and get Playstation Plus, so at least you'll have your game saves, still.

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

 

 

Chairman7w is offline  
post #4 of 31 Old 06-16-2012, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
jhaines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Were your units fats or slims?

- Jer
jhaines is online now  
post #5 of 31 Old 06-16-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,702
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notsobright View Post

im still on my original fat 60gb ps3 dude. i dont feel cheated by sony. its a great product.

Me too .. I also have a slim that I bought at launch .. all going strong ..

Uncle Willie



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is offline  
post #6 of 31 Old 06-16-2012, 12:00 PM
Senior Member
 
tlalotoani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Bad luck I guess, after 2 years and 7 months, and 2,000+ hours of work, everything is ok with my PS3, excepting an ocasional strange sound from the fan. smile.gif
tlalotoani is offline  
post #7 of 31 Old 06-16-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
confidenceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
This generation's consoles were pieces of crap out of the gate. Sony's was only slightly better than MS's, but both are highly prone to failure. Sucks, but you're far from the only one. The newer iterations of both HD consoles are much more reliable than they used to be. But this late in the cycle, I'd just wait it out until the next consoles arrive.

As for me, I'm going to be much more reserved about buying the next shiny new console. I'll stick with what I have, and probably supplement with a PC for a year or two. The console manufacturers are trying to ride the line on what they think is an "acceptable" failure rate, and I don't think that will change for the next generation.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
confidenceman is offline  
post #8 of 31 Old 06-16-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Chairman7w's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Would you really Conman? Man, I couldn't go another year without a console... (I don't have a PC to game on)
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

This generation's consoles were pieces of crap out of the gate. Sony's was only slightly better than MS's, but both are highly prone to failure. Sucks, but you're far from the only one. The newer iterations of both HD consoles are much more reliable than they used to be. But this late in the cycle, I'd just wait it out until the next consoles arrive.
As for me, I'm going to be much more reserved about buying the next shiny new console. I'll stick with what I have, and probably supplement with a PC. The console manufacturers are trying to ride the line on what they think is an "acceptable" failure rate, and I don't think that will change for the next generation.

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

 

 

Chairman7w is offline  
post #9 of 31 Old 06-16-2012, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,702
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 621
I've always thought the PS3 failure rate was blown out of proportion .. especially on AVS ..

Uncle Willie



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is offline  
post #10 of 31 Old 06-16-2012, 02:03 PM
 
TyrantII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notsobright View Post

im still on my original fat 60gb ps3 dude. i dont feel cheated by sony. its a great product.

You'll be good till you aren't, as there isn't any way to know when it'll hit you too. But at least you'll have got more out of yours when it finally goes.

I know it's anecdotal evidence, but a good 70% of my friends in my beer league clan no longer have their original phats due to YLOD deaths. I thought it was blownover too, then their failed and mine twice. Thats pretty unheard of IMO for something that issupposedly not statistically significant. I've got a post below, and I'll warn people again; as soon as there's a good trade in deal, trade it in and buy a slim! Better to use it's value now, then have a paperweight later!

To the OP, I went through a launch unit, a sony refurb and now have a slim. Over $1000+ in Sony consoles this generation for me. So, you're not alone.
TyrantII is offline  
post #11 of 31 Old 06-16-2012, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blklightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 61
^^^ I refuse to trade for a slim because they look like pieces of crap. I'll just keep backing up my 4 year old 40 gig and hope for the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

This generation's consoles were pieces of crap out of the gate. Sony's was only slightly better than MS's, but both are highly prone to failure. Sucks, but you're far from the only one. The newer iterations of both HD consoles are much more reliable than they used to be. But this late in the cycle, I'd just wait it out until the next consoles arrive.
As for me, I'm going to be much more reserved about buying the next shiny new console. I'll stick with what I have, and probably supplement with a PC for a year or two. The console manufacturers are trying to ride the line on what they think is an "acceptable" failure rate, and I don't think that will change for the next generation.

Are you just making things up? The PS3's failure rate is around 10 percent. The 360's failure rate has been reported as high as 54 percent. Not only that, but the new Xbox still has the halo disc problem.

500 gigs FTW.
blklightning is offline  
post #12 of 31 Old 06-17-2012, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
jayoldschool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

^^^ I refuse to trade for a slim because they look like pieces of crap. I'll just keep backing up my 4 year old 40 gig and hope for the best.
Are you just making things up? The PS3's failure rate is around 10 percent. The 360's failure rate has been reported as high as 54 percent. Not only that, but the new Xbox still has the halo disc problem.

The PS3s failure rate may have been 10% a few years ago, but the rate for the fats has certainly gone up. The fats are dying off quickly.
jayoldschool is offline  
post #13 of 31 Old 06-17-2012, 09:00 AM
 
TyrantII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
yeah, there's no way it's 10%.

Sony's also not doing the right thing, like MS did. Not that they could if they wanted to.
TyrantII is offline  
post #14 of 31 Old 06-17-2012, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tgable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 78
First post ever and a troll post. wink.gif

Now playing: Madden, Diablo 3, First Light, PvZ: GW
Recently Finished: Watch Dogs
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
tgable is offline  
post #15 of 31 Old 06-18-2012, 12:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Vortex3D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

This generation's consoles were pieces of crap out of the gate. Sony's was only slightly better than MS's, but both are highly prone to failure. Sucks, but you're far from the only one. The newer iterations of both HD consoles are much more reliable than they used to be. But this late in the cycle, I'd just wait it out until the next consoles arrive.
As for me, I'm going to be much more reserved about buying the next shiny new console. I'll stick with what I have, and probably supplement with a PC for a year or two. The console manufacturers are trying to ride the line on what they think is an "acceptable" failure rate, and I don't think that will change for the next generation.

The issue the manufacturers with "acceptable" failure rate also has to do with early system stability. Early X360 had such as high failure rate that Microsoft did a lot of improvement on the slim mode. Sony is opposite because early PS3 had lower failure rate and stripped the latest model 3000 to barebone (anything Sony could take out or reduced smaller were taken out). Big question is what "acceptable" failure rate on model 3000 after a year later (by Fall, we should know)? Even today, you still see PS3 fanboys insist to use the early X360 poor reliability to compare to slim PS3. Of course, X360 will look bad. Why not use slim X360 reliability compared to slim PS3?

I'm also most curious about the slim model 3000 reliability after a year later. The model was introduced last Fall and between Fall and Spring, the temperature was cooler. Now it's getting into hot summer and I like to know if the reduced cooling, ie. smaller fan is enough to prevent any overheating. Still have to wait pass summer or fall to have enough data.

Second is Sony took out all but one LED for the hard drive activity. What will the console do on failure? Does the single hard drive LED change to different color?

Actually, it will be more interesting to see Wii U reliability when it comes out. The system will be using around X360 CPU tech. Even with the latest manufacturing tech, I don't see how Nintendo can keep the tiny case cool. Nintendo already required the Wii U console to only sit on the side only. Obviously that is to ensure the tiny fan vents don't get blocked but that still doesn't answer how well the system can stay cool when running the console at high load games (Mario alike games don't count). So far, Nintendo is saying nothing about it which suggest they don't want you to know.
Vortex3D is offline  
post #16 of 31 Old 06-18-2012, 01:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
confidenceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman7w View Post

Would you really Conman? Man, I couldn't go another year without a console... (I don't have a PC to game on)
Yeah. This generation was way too expensive for no good reason. I mean, I love the games that have come out over the past five years, but console manufacturers have raked us customers over the coals. High failure rates, subscriptions, lots of expensive peripherals and add ons, Online Pass nonsense, high prices for digital releases, etc. And then you start looking at the kind of BS they put developers through. It's just an ugly scene IMO, and it will only get worse.

I've been soured by the antics of Sony and MS. I have no brand loyalty. I just want to play good games without a bunch of crap to deal with. Haven't decided if I'm really willing to jump back into PC gaming, but Sony and MS aren't doing much to persuade me not to.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
confidenceman is offline  
post #17 of 31 Old 06-18-2012, 07:08 AM
 
TyrantII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D View Post

The issue the manufacturers with "acceptable" failure rate also has to do with early system stability. Early X360 had such as high failure rate that Microsoft did a lot of improvement on the slim mode. Sony is opposite because early PS3 had lower failure rate and stripped the latest model 3000 to barebone (anything Sony could take out or reduced smaller were taken out). Big question is what "acceptable" failure rate on model 3000 after a year later (by Fall, we should know)? Even today, you still see PS3 fanboys insist to use the early X360 poor reliability to compare to slim PS3. Of course, X360 will look bad. Why not use slim X360 reliability compared to slim PS3?
I'm also most curious about the slim model 3000 reliability after a year later. The model was introduced last Fall and between Fall and Spring, the temperature was cooler. Now it's getting into hot summer and I like to know if the reduced cooling, ie. smaller fan is enough to prevent any overheating. Still have to wait pass summer or fall to have enough data.
Second is Sony took out all but one LED for the hard drive activity. What will the console do on failure? Does the single hard drive LED change to different color?
Actually, it will be more interesting to see Wii U reliability when it comes out. The system will be using around X360 CPU tech. Even with the latest manufacturing tech, I don't see how Nintendo can keep the tiny case cool. Nintendo already required the Wii U console to only sit on the side only. Obviously that is to ensure the tiny fan vents don't get blocked but that still doesn't answer how well the system can stay cool when running the console at high load games (Mario alike games don't count). So far, Nintendo is saying nothing about it which suggest they don't want you to know.

Everyone was really surprised that the slim was launched so soon after the OG Phats back when it did, they were also suprised the slim was so... big.

I'm convinced Sony saw the uptick in failures and realized the phats were compromised designs, so rushed out the slim to fix two major issue, Heat and solder separation. The slims run about 1/2 as hot, are quieter and so far I haven't heard of any major YLOD or BD drive issues with them. Their failures seem much more in norms with other electronics.

Also 1 LED is a misconception. There's the amber HDD LED and a Power green/red/yellow LED. They took out the network connection LED on the front, but i believe there's still one on the back at the RJ45 port.

Overall, while it's not as a sexy a design, it's built much better IMO. I can get over not having racing stripes as long as the damn thing lasts more than 2 years.
TyrantII is offline  
post #18 of 31 Old 06-18-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
garciab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Princeton, TX - USA
Posts: 1,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
If leadfree solder was a major contributor to both consoles' failures, it may be a matter of time before we start to see the slims failing too. Just may take a little longer. But the theory that it's 'whiskers' that form on the new solder type, predicts that this design is gonna fail eventually as well. Unless they increased the size of the bga package, and increased the distance between the solder balls to prevent shorts; not likely since we know things got smaller. It'll be interesting to see what happens. I'd still like to hear from someone who's had their PS3 or 360 re-balled, to see how it's holding up. But I don't know anyone who had that done some significant time ago.

bg
garciab is online now  
post #19 of 31 Old 06-18-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
maximuslcd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,934
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah my "phat" reburb they sent me for $125 had no more than 150 hrs on it and that was basically 2 hr sessions so it should not have failed. My new slim, while I dont care for the looks of it seems to be pretty good, I dont have alot of time with it yet but I am hoping it last a long, long time

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
maximuslcd is offline  
post #20 of 31 Old 06-18-2012, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
confidenceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by garciab View Post

If leadfree solder was a major contributor to both consoles' failures, it may be a matter of time before we start to see the slims failing too. Just may take a little longer. But the theory that it's 'whiskers' that form on the new solder type, predicts that this design is gonna fail eventually as well. Unless they increased the size of the bga package, and increased the distance between the solder balls to prevent shorts; not likely since we know things got smaller. It'll be interesting to see what happens. I'd still like to hear from someone who's had their PS3 or 360 re-balled, to see how it's holding up. But I don't know anyone who had that done some significant time ago.
I imagine Sony's goal (and MS's) was just to get the redesign reliable "enough" to make the majority of them past the 5-year hump. As much of a letdown as the Wii was in other respects, those things have been as sturdy as almost all prior Nintendo consoles (except the original front-loading NES).

In an effort to cut costs and speed production, Sony and MS pushed that boundary too far this generation. I'd wager that MS hit around 2 years, and Sony hit closer to 3 or 4. Neither is acceptable IMO. It remains to be seen what the lifespan is for the newest revisions. So far so good. *fingers crossed*

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
confidenceman is offline  
post #21 of 31 Old 06-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Bigfame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Bernardino, CA
Posts: 265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

I've been soured by the antics of Sony and MS. I have no brand loyalty. I just want to play good games without a bunch of crap to deal with. Haven't decided if I'm really willing to jump back into PC gaming, but Sony and MS aren't doing much to persuade me not to.

This is actually what I have done. Put together a really nice Gaming Rig and could not be happier. I have:

i7-920 (OC'd to 3.0GHz)
WD 1TB Caviar Black HD
Sapphire Radeon 7850 (OC Edition)
12GB DDR3 @1666MHZ
Blu-Ray Drive
DVD DL +/-

I play on my 60" HDTV (via HDMI) and use a Microsoft 360 Wireless Controller. I am playing (or have played) Skyrim, Kingdom of Amular, Crysis 2, Metro 2033 & Borderlands (got the game and ALL DLC for $19 on Steam). I now play all Multi-Plats on my PC (blows away my PS3 & Xbox 360). I have not turned on my PS3 to play a game since UC3 & 360 since ME3.

Those Who Attempt To Destroy Me, Shall Be Obliterated!!

Megatron
Bigfame is offline  
post #22 of 31 Old 06-18-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
number1laing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,993
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
There's pretty much no way I am buying a console at launch. While my 60gb PS3 still works fine, it runs hot and loud and the new ones are far better. I'll wait for at least a die shrink.

I just bought a PC for gaming. It's nice, but it's the PC - there's still crap you have to deal with. Right now I'm trying to figure out a way to set up a nice interface for my TV but obviously none of these software programs are designed to talk to each other.

I was doubting my purchase until I booted up Battlefield 3 for the first time.
number1laing is offline  
post #23 of 31 Old 06-18-2012, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mounta1n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 674
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

There's pretty much no way I am buying a console at launch. While my 60gb PS3 still works fine, it runs hot and loud and the new ones are far better. I'll wait for at least a die shrink.
I just bought a PC for gaming. It's nice, but it's the PC - there's still crap you have to deal with. Right now I'm trying to figure out a way to set up a nice interface for my TV but obviously none of these software programs are designed to talk to each other.
I was doubting my purchase until I booted up Battlefield 3 for the first time.

I just went the same way, but I haven't picked up BF3 yet, as I just got it for the PS3 recently. I did have a copy of FEAR laying about that I had picked up years ago when I thought I would repair my old PC. The textures are a little barren compared to modern games, but the AI is more sophisticated and active than most modern shooters I've played recently. I might just pick up a copy of BFBC2 for the PC, since it's cheap and is supposed to also have excellent graphics (and excellent 3D). There's supposed to be some program that allows you to use a PS3 controller with the PC, but I haven't researched it yet. I wouldn't use it for FPS of course, but it would make action/puzzle games on the PC enjoyable, and driving games would be playable without setting up the wheel. I'm really looking forward to booting up a BF game now.

I'm on my original 80gig phat too....

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
Mounta1n is offline  
post #24 of 31 Old 06-18-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
confidenceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfame View Post

This is actually what I have done. Put together a really nice Gaming Rig and could not be happier.
This is what I'm thinking. At this point, most of the big releases are derivative rehashes of current-gen IP. And it'll be a good couple of years before folks get a handle on the new specs for the next gen consoles. That leaves roughly 2-3 years before consoles get much of anything worthwhile that isn't also available on PC. And I'd still have my PS3 and 360 to play any must-play games that come late in this cycle.

I'm frankly amazed that console manufacturers and third-party publishers are just letting this migration happen. It sounds like this is where more of the "hardcore" crowd is going. And once we make the transition, will we come back? Sony and MS have a lot of work to do. Sony has more to lose since they don't have as big a stake in the PC business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounta1n View Post

There's supposed to be some program that allows you to use a PS3 controller with the PC, but I haven't researched it yet.
There are a couple. All you need is a bluetooth dongle for your PC (if you don't already have one). I've done this with my laptop without a problem.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
confidenceman is offline  
post #25 of 31 Old 06-19-2012, 11:06 AM
Senior Member
 
60SXRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 449
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notsobright View Post

im still on my original fat 60gb ps3 dude. i dont feel cheated by sony. its a great product.

Same here. Been going strong since March 2007. I have PS+ just in case and all of the free games and discounts makes it a great buy IMHO.

Cheers,

Jeff

SXRD/Denon/OPPO/HTPC/PS4/PS3/XB360/NHT/HSU
PSN ID: Krondorian
XBL ID: Midkemian
West Coast
Twitter: @Krondo_jd
60SXRD is offline  
post #26 of 31 Old 06-23-2012, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mr. Hanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,070
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
They should make game backups to the cloud free, imo. They certainly haven't built the reputation for console reliability. Some games don't allow backups anywhere other than PS+...and now you have to pay for that?!? Wtf is up with Sony these days? It's like they decided they really don't need customers or user base, since they simply point to the door, if there is any complaint for any/all douchy actions they issue in a year.

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
Mr. Hanky is offline  
post #27 of 31 Old 06-24-2012, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
swarm87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: rhode island
Posts: 893
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximuslcd View Post

Yeah my "phat" reburb they sent me for $125 had no more than 150 hrs on it and that was basically 2 hr sessions so it should not have failed. My new slim, while I dont care for the looks of it seems to be pretty good, I dont have alot of time with it yet but I am hoping it last a long, long time
same boat mine just failed last night 1 month out of the 90 day garentee , if the supervisor i have to call on monday doesn't approve replacement im just going to cut my losses and go with a slim as im not going to give them another $130 so i can play mgs and 4 other ps2 games, just use the extra 40 for the hd collection of mgs

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
swarm87 is offline  
post #28 of 31 Old 06-24-2012, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
confidenceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
You should still be able to get good money on the used market for a launch PS3 (even when they're busted). Basically, once you sell your old PS3, it shouldn't cost you much more to buy a new Slim than it would have cost you to repair your old PS3. That's why when mine went bad, I didn't bother fixing it. Sold it for a good chunk of money (and even told the person I sold it to that it had YLOD-ed), and bought a new Slim without much of a loss. Hell, even Gamestop used to buy YLOD-ed original PS3's for a decent chunk of change (around $100); not sure if they still do.

And, personally, if I still had a working 60gb/20gb PS3, I'd sell it. Those things are ticking time bombs, and after selling it, you could probably come out ahead even after buying a brand new Slim replacement.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
confidenceman is offline  
post #29 of 31 Old 06-24-2012, 03:11 PM
 
TyrantII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Problem is I think phat prices have crashed, especially working trade in's.
TyrantII is offline  
post #30 of 31 Old 06-24-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
confidenceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Bummer. Guess I'm glad I cashed mine in when I could.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
confidenceman is offline  
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off